Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,328 members, 7,829,837 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

Arsenal Lose At Aston Villa To Confirm Their Worst Season Finish In 25 Years - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Arsenal Lose At Aston Villa To Confirm Their Worst Season Finish In 25 Years (316 Views)

Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores / Fans Boo Emery After Arsenal Lose At Home To Eintracht Frankfurt / Arsenal Lose £210m In Four Years Thanks To Poor Transfer Dealings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arsenal Lose At Aston Villa To Confirm Their Worst Season Finish In 25 Years by ogbiwa: 9:52am On Jul 22, 2020
Mikel Arteta said Arsenal's season "is not good enough for this club" after defeat at Aston Villa confirmed their worst finish since 1995.

The Gunners can now finish no higher than eighth in the Premier League after Trezeguet's strike gave Villa three massive points.

"It has to hurt and we have to suffer, it's not good enough for this club," Arteta said.

"We need to improve in many areas, the team and individually."

Arsenal qualified for the Champions League every season for 20 years under former manager Arsene Wenger but now must beat Chelsea in the FA Cup final on 1 August to play in the Europa League next year.

They last played Champions League football in the 2016-17 season and will go into Sunday's final league game against Watford at least nine points short of the top four.

They last failed to finish in the top six in 1994-95 - when caretaker manager Stewart Houston oversaw a 12th-placed finish after George Graham's departure in February.

A plane flew a banner across Villa Park reading "Back Arteta Kroenke Out" as fans showed their opposition to owner Stan Kroenke during the defeat.

Arteta said: "The Kroenkes and the board and the sporting director, I have their full backing. I have that 100% - the fans have to believe what I'm saying.

"We are putting a strong plan together to do as much as we can in a short period and the league table doesn't lie.

"The top teams in certain areas are better than us. We know the challenge, it's really big and we're excited for what we have ahead of us."

Midfielder Granit Xhaka, who came on as a half-time substitute, blamed his side's attitude for the defeat, which saw the Gunners fail to have a shot on target.

"In my opinion you can't come here and play like this," he said.

"It's not good enough and you can't play with this mentality. We could have got into the Europa League, but now we have to win the FA Cup and we have more pressure.

"But we will do everything to win the FA Cup now."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53467625

Re: Arsenal Lose At Aston Villa To Confirm Their Worst Season Finish In 25 Years by logon599: 9:53am On Jul 22, 2020
No need for panic. It's not a mystery why their season ended the way it has, and the solution is obvious:
First Arteta needs a full season to work.
Secondly the board must back him or they should step down. They should clear unnecessary players. Players like Pepe, Mustafi, Maitland Niles etc have no business wearing Arsenal colors. Then they must keep Aubameyang, then also give Arteta funds to sign the kind of players he needs in every position. Do these and I see no reason why they won't compete adequately come next season.

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Lose At Aston Villa To Confirm Their Worst Season Finish In 25 Years by viceddy95(m): 9:56am On Jul 22, 2020
cheesy
So assnal won't play in Europe competition next season because I know they can't beat chelsea in F A cup final.....

Just imagine a Nigerian and being an assnal fan,double wahala cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Arsenal Lose At Aston Villa To Confirm Their Worst Season Finish In 25 Years by majamajic(m): 10:02am On Jul 22, 2020
Asene Wegner , could have done far better than this
Re: Arsenal Lose At Aston Villa To Confirm Their Worst Season Finish In 25 Years by Nobody: 10:53am On Jul 22, 2020
logon599:
No need for panic. It's not a mystery why their season ended the way it has, and the solution is obvious:
First Arteta needs a full season to work.
Secondly the board must back him or they should step down. They should clear unnecessary players. Players like Pepe, Mustafi, Maitland Niles etc have no business wearing Arsenal colors. Then they must keep Aubameyang, then also give Arteta funds to sign the kind of players he needs in every position. Do these and I see no reason why they won't compete adequately come next season.

It will be very Hard to keep Aubameyang, Imagine playing Thursday night Football for more than 3yrs now.
Re: Arsenal Lose At Aston Villa To Confirm Their Worst Season Finish In 25 Years by paulolee(m): 1:09pm On Jul 22, 2020
bad

(1) (Reply)

Messi's Goal And Assist For Every Laliga Season / Rollover (3 Odds) "Serious Minded " / Arsenal Transfer Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.