Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,394 members, 7,812,159 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:15 AM

Help! Inability To Train Neural Networks On My PC. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Help! Inability To Train Neural Networks On My PC. (585 Views)

Kogi Chief Of Staff, Pharm. Asuku To Train 200 Youths On Web Programming, ICT / Urgent Help - Inability To Restore Whatsapp Backup / Ekiti Government To Train Youths In Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Inability To Train Neural Networks On My PC. by Chuukwudi(m): 7:53am On Jul 24, 2020
Hallo guys.

It's so disappointing that a Microsoft surface pro laptop that cost me about $1000 to acquire can't even do some of the things I want it to.

Right now, I need to train my neural networks and consolidate some knowledge but can't, simply because the laptop doesn't have an NVIDIA CUDA capable GPU but an Intel(R) HD 520 GPU.

Have you a walkaround for this? The online course I'm taking requires it. I can't even run some of the codes without it.

I hope I don't have to suspend learning Deep Learning until I'm able to buy another laptop.

1 Like

Re: Help! Inability To Train Neural Networks On My PC. by Nobody: 8:38am On Jul 24, 2020
Chuukwudi:
Hallo guys.

It's so disappointing that a Microsoft surface pro laptop that cost me about $1000 to acquire can't even do some of the things I want it to.

Right now, I need to train my neural networks and consolidate some knowledge but can't, simply because the laptop doesn't have an NVIDIA CUDA capable GPU but an Intel(R) HD 520 GPU.

Have you a walkaround for this? The online course I'm taking requires it. I can't even run some of the codes without it.

I hope I don't have to suspend learning Deep Learning until I'm able to buy another laptop.

Can you send me a link or something to the course?

Apart from that, are the datasets you'll be working with very big? Are you working with images? I believe you should still be able to learn and do a lot even much more given the laptop you have, even though it may not be the fastest. Simplest solution would be just to buy a better gpu although if what you're doing now is learning, I don't feel it is needed.
Re: Help! Inability To Train Neural Networks On My PC. by Nobody: 8:42am On Jul 24, 2020
Chuukwudi:
Hallo guys.

You should have aimed for a desktop. Fvck sha sorry. Neural networks as I hear are very heavy on computing power.

1 Like

Re: Help! Inability To Train Neural Networks On My PC. by ogunsinamayowa(m): 8:42am On Jul 24, 2020
Chuukwudi:
Hallo guys.

You dont have to buy new laptop. Upgrade your graphic card. Get Nvida hardware for your laptop. While upgrading your laptop, you could use cloud platform like aws, google cloud platform etc to run your data set.

3 Likes

Re: Help! Inability To Train Neural Networks On My PC. by Chuukwudi(m): 9:45am On Jul 24, 2020
Darivie04:

Can you send me a link or something to the course?

Apart from that, are the datasets you'll be working with very big? Are you working with images? I believe you should still be able to learn and do a lot even much more given the laptop you have, even though it may not be the fastest. Simplest solution would be just to buy a better gpu although if what you're doing now is learning, I don't feel it is needed.

I think I'll be working with images. Because, I can't even import the PyTorch vision library. It fails.

Check out "introduction to deep learning with PyTorch" on udacity.
Re: Help! Inability To Train Neural Networks On My PC. by Chuukwudi(m): 9:46am On Jul 24, 2020
Ausrichie:

You should have aimed for a desktop. Fvck sha sorry. Neural networks as I hear are very heavy on computing power.

Yes. They really are.
Re: Help! Inability To Train Neural Networks On My PC. by Chuukwudi(m): 9:47am On Jul 24, 2020
ogunsinamayowa:

You dont have to buy new laptop. Upgrade your graphic card. Get Nvida hardware for your laptop. While upgrading your laptop, you could use cloud platform like aws, google cloud platform etc to run your data set.

Please, the author suggested thus.
Please, which of them is free, AWS costs real money.

As for getting and mounting NVIDIA card. Is that possible on a very sleek device like a surface pro. I don't think It's something one can open easily and mount things
Re: Help! Inability To Train Neural Networks On My PC. by Abrahamdgreat(m): 10:37am On Jul 24, 2020
Chuukwudi:

Please, the author suggested thus.
Please, which of them is free, AWS costs real money.

As for getting and mounting NVIDIA card. Is that possible on a very sleek device like a surface pro. I don't think It's something one can open easily and mount things
It might be possible to slap on an external GPU... Do some research about it
Re: Help! Inability To Train Neural Networks On My PC. by ibromodzi: 10:55am On Jul 24, 2020
Chuukwudi:
Hallo guys.

While I still train DL models on my Elitebook 2170p Core i5 4gb RAM....

You can try Google colab.... things should work perfectly there.

1 Like

Re: Help! Inability To Train Neural Networks On My PC. by peterincredible: 6:50pm On Jul 24, 2020
baba just use google colab period
Re: Help! Inability To Train Neural Networks On My PC. by EngrBouss(m): 12:07am On Jul 25, 2020
You can hit me up if you are interested in getting AWS credits where you can run using nvidia deep learning AMI with all of the dependencies available. Call or WhatsApp me on 07087210933. Open to other option if you are?

(1) (Reply)

.. / Where Can I Learn Programming In Lagos / In Need Of A Python Developer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.