Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,294 members, 7,839,444 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed (46890 Views)

Why I Dont Like Calling My Friends & Family In Nigeria - UK Based Lady (pic/vid) / Man Crushed To Death While Attempting To 'Collect' Money From Truck Driver / Man Transports People With Fridge On A Flooded Road, Makes Money From Flooding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by kassano22(m): 6:40pm On Jul 27, 2020
Don't let them exploit you. Thats how people i knew way back would be coming up with different stories just to ask me money.. The question i ask them is lets say you didn't find me on fb or i was still in naija with you. won't you find a solution to your problems?Once they say hello on FB the next thing is can you do me a favor? They don't even care to know what's going on even if your working or not. Most Nigerians living in diaspora are leaving pay check to pay check, no savings, work 2 jobs and still try to support friends and family. Just do what you can do. If any body disturbs you, you know where the block button is.

4 Likes

Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by vhuqnl(m): 6:41pm On Jul 27, 2020
soberdrunk:
Nobody is exploiting you my man, from what I read they are begging and not forcing so if you don't have simply say so!! The worst type of friend is the one that will help and complain behind your back..... angry
Na dem. Drunkard

2 Likes

Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by Vicas2000: 6:42pm On Jul 27, 2020
ikoroduarea:

I have been doing this for them for over 10 years. I ma not a stingy person. I have a very active charity foundation for the support of less privileged, which they've benefited from too many times. My wife had earlier recovered from sick shortly before the second time ease of covid19. My major problme is the pressure and contstant demands. Its not even up to 48 hoursi sent the senior one money before the younger one demanded for money for his shop again. Thank you for your concern. Like i said earlier, insults are welcome. Thank you everyone.

This post shows you probably will never take the advice given to you here.

I use to be like you. A friend owed me over a million till today and I had to forgive that debt. After forgiving...dude asked me to gift him money for his wedding. I just laughed and told him I don't have.

Anyways...here's what I did to curb this:

1. My parents are my priority. I set up a monthly allowance for them and make sure I do this wverytime without fail.

2. I have two phones. One is my private line. The other is for everybody else. Whenever I go to Nigeria...i give out my public line to everyone and my private line is only available to immediate family and close circle.

Some óf these leeches will go as far as asking your siblings or parents your number.

My instruction to my immediate family is...if anyone very close that you can't refuse ask for my number...only give my public line to them.

That public line Ehn. Is always in my bedside drawer. Only get opened once a month and whenever I see someone ask for money. I just read and ignore.

What I have discovered is...people who genuinely need money will only ask you for money for food if they are struggling.

Be like me. Say no. Stick to your no. Overtime....they will move to the next person to leech from.

Funny thing Is....my most trusted friends are the ones that do not ask me for anything.

And please....stop posting on social media. It draws leeches.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by otipoju(m): 6:45pm On Jul 27, 2020
ikoroduarea:
Hi all,

I will really appreciate if moderator can help push this to front page.

Firstly, insults are welcome. I reside in Europe. Two of my friends they are biological brothers, they've been sucking me. I have been sending them money regularly for years, yes years, but I now realised that these people are not ready to work or learn any skill. Even their own biological brother in abroad reported them to me and doesn't take them serious anymore except their mum. Infarct, i used to send money to their mum too. But they just keep asking me for money everytime. Imagine I just sent you money when you said you are sick, two days after you sent me voice record asking me for money to rent a shop. Then the younger one who's chat bellow asking me for 100k for three of them as if I am picking money on the floor here. To some people in Nigeria who always think all nigerians in diaspora think we always think you're begging for money whenever you say hi just to hear from us, it is not the case. How about this too?

I am really tired. My wife who always agree I should help them have started complaining too. These two friends suddenly changed because I used to send them money even before they ask. It's like every week one problem must happen to them that require money. They will just send account number and the deadline time. They keep coming, coming, coming back again after giving. I have paid hundreds of thousands of naira for visa processing for one of them maybe at least they will stop asking me for money and one will be able to help his brother, but the visa was unsuccessful.

Few days ago one of them ask me to give him my sister's number that he just want to greet her since it's been years he saw her last. Behold, the next day my sister called to ask when did I hear from my friend last and did he mention about financial problem to me, I told my sister that he called me two days ago and asked of her number which I gave him. My sister said he requested for money to support his house rent and she sent him some money. I was shocked. Can you imagine guys? My friend. I am not saying it's a crime for him to ask my sister money but why lie to me that you just want to greet her when you asked me for her number? Whereas I just sent him money too not even up to a week.

See another demand again, see my reply, see his reply.

I know one or the two of them will start gossiping me around that I am proud, but they won't tell them about the good I have done for them, I have been doing. They won't. Some friends are not worth it anymore. I am very upset now that it's affecting me mentally and with my wife. Even my children were asking me last night "dad are you alright, you're not happy".

You know what again, one of them sent messages to my wife asking for mobile phone. I saw it but my wife didn't know that I saw it not until I responded to him myself and told my wife to never bother. My wife later sent the phone to him. Since then he's been using that opportunity to demand from her. Though he eventually stopped it but continue asking me only.

I have sent so much money but they just never stop asking. And I am not the time that take pictures and flaunt them on social media. I live my life on low-key.

I need your honest opinion.

Insults are welcome I promise I won't react to any insult.

I wanted to block them on my social media especially on WhatsApp but I had a rethink so they won't feel like I am proud because I am in abroad.

cry

Comot for Facebook, change your number or simply refuse to pick their calls or text anymore.

These same people dont mind setting you up and kidnapping you. They have no shame and no conscience and will guilt trip you.

They are leeches.

4 Likes

Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by pansophist(m): 6:46pm On Jul 27, 2020
Now, imagine you die today, does that mean they won't be able to survive at all? It's clear you're of an agreeable personality, but in life, your kind hardly advances in life, because you carry world's problem on your head. What's hard to block them and stop giving money? In God's name, what's hard there?

If you broke tomorrow, the same people will mock you, calling you a failure, that you've been in Europe and couldn't achieve anything. What if I told you that there is a high chance that they are calling you an idiot after receiving alert? Only if we could hear what people say behind us, you'll be hard-hearted.

I feel your pain because I've been there. Sometimes, these beggars employ guilt-tripping and making you feel like the bad guy because you didn't give, even if you've been giving them for ages. This is one of a genuine situation why you should be selfish. If after all what everyone wrote here, you still go ahead and keep sending, you've only proved that you hate yourself, and enjoy a life of servitude.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by dannybrasky(m): 6:47pm On Jul 27, 2020
ikoroduarea:

I have been doing this for them for over 10 years. I ma not a stingy person. I have a very active charity foundation for the support of less privileged, which they've benefited from too many times. My wife had earlier recovered from sick shortly before the second time ease of covid19. My major problme is the pressure and contstant demands. Its not even up to 48 hoursi sent the senior one money before the younger one demanded for money for his shop again. Thank you for your concern. Like i said earlier, insults are welcome. Thank you everyone.

Listen and listen attentively!!
Being over generous will leave you broke!
I have been there,done that!
And it was all regrets after all.

I pray you never go broke,but answer this question,God forbid someday you go broke and you can't help them? Won't they still call u stingy?? Won't they still back bite you to people.

I was over generous till I went broke,it was until I started saying no most of those leeches stopped calling me for unnecessary assistance.

My cousins, both in the usa and europe have changed numbers like 5 times,blocked many on Facebook because of constant demands from Nigerian family and friends. Truth is it will never stop!!

As soon as u go broke,they jump on the next cattle to milk on,I am just like you,it is hard to say no to some people! Now I just ignore calls or messages,if it gets too persistent I block.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by Skelewudprince: 6:47pm On Jul 27, 2020
Oga na wa o.. I live aboad too and I can relate very well.

You don't even have to block them or change your number because of them.

Just tell them No and tell them that you are broke that they should send you money too.

You don't have to send them at all because they are very shameless. They went as far as asking your wife and sister for money......

Baba, even when they message you to even greet you.. You don't respond until after 2 weeks. You owe nobody nothing.

The funniest thing is that these guys might actually be living very well in Naija just blowing your money recklessly.

Learn to say No without much explanation. Tell them you are broke too. Anyone can get broke just as they claim to be.

They are just ripping you off men.

And warn your sister and wife to stop helping them

Also tell them to stop contacting you if they don't try to help you after you might have told them that you are broke.

ikoroduarea:

2 Likes

Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by Born2Breed(f): 6:51pm On Jul 27, 2020
There is more to this.

The whole gist doesn't make sense unless you are owing them.

1 Like

Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by stonemind(f): 6:51pm On Jul 27, 2020
ikoroduarea:
Hi all,

Firstly, insults are welcome. I reside in Europe. Two of my friends they are biological brothers, they've been sucking me. I have been sending them money regularly for years, yes years, but I now realised that these people are not ready to work or learn any skill. Even their own biological brother in abroad reported them to me and doesn't take them serious anymore except their mum. Infarct, i used to send money to their mum too. But they just keep asking me for money everytime. Imagine I just sent you money when you said you are sick, two days after you sent me voice record asking me for money to rent a shop. Then the younger one who's chat bellow asking me for 100k for three of them as if I am picking money on the floor here. To some people in Nigeria who always think all nigerians in diaspora think we always think you're begging for money whenever you say hi just to hear from us, it is not the case. How about this too?

I am really tired. My wife who always agree I should help them have started complaining too. These two friends suddenly changed because I used to send them money even before they ask. It's like every week one problem must happen to them that require money. They will just send account number and the deadline time. They keep coming, coming, coming back again after giving. I have paid hundreds of thousands of naira for visa processing for one of them maybe at least they will stop asking me for money and one will be able to help his brother, but the visa was unsuccessful.

Few days ago one of them ask me to give him my sister's number that he just want to greet her since it's been years he saw her last. Behold, the next day my sister called to ask when did I hear from my friend last and did he mention about financial problem to me, I told my sister that he called me two days ago and asked of her number which I gave him. My sister said he requested for money to support his house rent and she sent him some money. I was shocked. Can you imagine guys? My friend. I am not saying it's a crime for him to ask my sister money but why lie to me that you just want to greet her when you asked me for her number? Whereas I just sent him money too not even up to a week.

I know one or the two of them will start gossiping me around that I am proud, but they won't tell them about the good I have done for them, I have been doing. They won't. Some friends are not worth it anymore. I am very upset now that it's affecting me mentally and with my wife. Even my children were asking me last night "dad are you alright, you're not happy".

You know what again, one of them sent messages to my wife asking for mobile phone. I saw it but my wife didn't know that I saw it not until I responded to him myself and told my wife to never bother. My wife later sent the phone to him. Since then he's been using that opportunity to demand from her. Though he eventually stopped it but continue asking me only.

I have sent so much money but they just never stop asking. And I am not the time that take pictures and flaunt them on social media. I live my life on low-key.

I wanted to block them on my social media especially on WhatsApp but I had a rethink so they won't feel like I am proud because I am in abroad.

cry

You be mugu
Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by abdullahi45: 6:51pm On Jul 27, 2020
G
Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by vhuqnl(m): 6:53pm On Jul 27, 2020
Nooil:
I don't understand. I came here expecting to see women's names since they are the entitled people. Why am I seeing men everywhere? This is strange lipsrsealed
Every thing isn't gender war. Odte
Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by soberdrunk(m): 6:53pm On Jul 27, 2020
vhuqnl:

Na dem. Drunkard

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy see this one that entered Europe from sahara desert sef is talking cheesy cheesy cheesy the only thing your people can gain from you is pictures and bragging right in shepe joints that they have one relative abroad......
Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by manunitedbabes: 6:54pm On Jul 27, 2020
My brother the deed has been done.
Just take a deep breath give them like 3minths break no calls, no text, no money and then see their reactions. If positive fine if negative fine too.

Chart them like normal try to inquire from what they really want or do with their lives.

If they r woman type pls forget them and move on..

1 Like

Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by ipain: 6:56pm On Jul 27, 2020
Homextras:
You know you are being exploited, yet you keep giving.. That's not wise man.

If you can, change your contact or block them off, then send what you can afford to them once in a while.

You know what to do. All the best.
Even me wey get sister for abroad no dey bug her... i hustle for my money. Just few days ago, I was telling my in law what I was going through to get a new laptop... he thought i wanted to ask him for money. I just explained that it is not the case but only sharing my experience with him. He then said it is not a bad thing if he assist and I replied that I am not selfish person as my conscience will not allow me do such.

I got the laptop eventually by my own sweat. Those guys are LAZY and empty brains... even if you give them 100M... they will still come back for more. The OP is a kind man

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by dapadawee: 6:57pm On Jul 27, 2020
did they kidnap you? or u just want your left hand to know what your right hand is doing or u want to blow. another nairaland maga here
Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by bawajghai(m): 7:00pm On Jul 27, 2020
Cut them off
Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by dingbang(m): 7:01pm On Jul 27, 2020
If they want the money, they should pay their transport to Europe to collect it. They are so mad.
Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by vhuqnl(m): 7:01pm On Jul 27, 2020
Beatswim:
I know u wrote this to hear what u want..my take is that God elevated u there for a reason..u are better than them..they need your help..Nigeria is hard to live.. Just do whatever in your capacity and stop saying they are milking u..it's your turn today and who knows tomorrow
Pls shut up. User like you

1 Like

Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by pansophist(m): 7:01pm On Jul 27, 2020
Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by lenghtinny(m): 7:02pm On Jul 27, 2020
ikoroduarea:

Not at all. Nothing like favour for me at all. We are just friends. Thanks.
Dude you don’t know the kind of battle God conquered for you when the visa didn’t work out....
Na you still Dey carry the history you guys had together for head. You don’t mean shit to them, you are just a means to an end.
Cut them off bro, they will definitely say shits about you to people but trust me a year from now no one will pay attention to their sob story....

That was how I cut off one leech who was generating bad energy yet feeling funky on my account.... He resorted to slander, spreading malicious tale about me but I cared less. He got tired of sounding like a broken record after some time and tried to get in touch but then the ship had sailed already.

Those guys will drain you if you don’t use your head. And trust me, they will be the first set of people to mock and throw jabs at you when they finally succeed in pulling you down to ground zero.

2 Likes

Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by vhuqnl(m): 7:03pm On Jul 27, 2020
soberdrunk:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy see this one that entered Europe from sahara desert sef is talking cheesy cheesy cheesy the only thing your people can gain from you is pictures and bragging right in shepe joints that they have one relative abroad......
Bitcch shut up and suck my deeq. I'm in Nigeria Bitcch

2 Likes

Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by Crochet: 7:03pm On Jul 27, 2020
Change your number for good
Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by RealAdewole(m): 7:04pm On Jul 27, 2020
I will say you should give them one last grant, telling them that's the last thing they will be receiving from you, then block them everywhere also tell your sister and wife to block them too.... Whenever they use any number to contact you block the number join
Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by soberdrunk(m): 7:05pm On Jul 27, 2020
vhuqnl:

Bitcch shut up and suck my deeq. I'm in Nigeria Bitcch

I am not disappointed, there is no way any human being will trek to Europe through the desert and not have mental problem....... angry
Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by vhuqnl(m): 7:10pm On Jul 27, 2020
soberdrunk:

I am not disappointed, there is no way any human being will trek to Europe through the desert and not have mental problem....... angry
Troll, you would not be fed. Deportee like you
Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by NovusHomo(m): 7:10pm On Jul 27, 2020
ikoroduarea:
Hi all,

cry

BLOCK them.
A friend once told me that one will never be free of those parasites until they quarrel with you.
I have experienced it.
I am free at last.
Walk away from them.
Do not be afraid.
They will say nasty things about you.
They are vultures.
BLOCK them.
Now!
Let them come abroad too.

2 Likes

Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by JIREN01: 7:10pm On Jul 27, 2020
Ingodwetrust15:
I’m currently facing same thing, I just recently got my first car and the billing hasn’t stopped since then. I’m sick and tired of the BS I already had plans on changing my number this week, Nobody did jackshit for me if not for God in Heaven I wonder where I will even be now.... OP I will advise you just like my good friend advised me last night “ YOU OWE NOBODY NOTHING”
grin cheesy grin grin grin Lmaooo... More reason I'm always low-key and keep a very small circle.
Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by JIREN01: 7:13pm On Jul 27, 2020
Glaswegian:
Not only you o. Applies to almost every person working in Nigeria.

Because of this, I hardly pick calls or reply messages.

There are people that know my payday. By the end of the month, a lot of messages.

Almost everyone is a beggar here. It’s a serious situation.
They know your payday? O boy!!!! More reason I always advise keeping a very low-profile.

1 Like

Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by Angelacruz: 7:13pm On Jul 27, 2020
Block them everywhere
ikoroduarea:

Absolutely nothing they've done for me. Nothing at all. I was only helping them financially since I knew how hard it was when we were both hustling before I leave Nigerian. They are just abusing the opportunity. Thank you for yout input... I really appreciate. God bless.

Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by soberdrunk(m): 7:14pm On Jul 27, 2020
vhuqnl:

Troll, you would not be fed. Deportee like you

cheesy cheesy cheesy which grown man with sense will use underwear picture as profile picture cheesy cheesy you better hide well before I call immigration
Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by earnit1: 7:17pm On Jul 27, 2020
You don’t need such Friends
Re: My Friends Exploiting Money From Me, Advice Needed by Glaswegian: 7:18pm On Jul 27, 2020
JIREN01:
They know your payday? O boy!!!! More reason I always advise keeping a very low-profile.

What’s low profile. Doesn’t everybody know a decent corporate job in Nigeria usually pays on 25th?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom International Airport Terminal Taking Shape (Photos) / Beautiful Pictures Of Ikoyi, Lagos (video) / Terrible Accident Along Abuja Road Akwanga Nasarawa - Graphic Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.