Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,787 members, 7,956,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:18 PM

Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? (5288 Views)

Will You Pay To Visit Historic Sites In Yoruba Land? / Before You Pay That Malaysia Agent Read This / Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by bidemi12(m): 11:29pm On Feb 11, 2011
because they bribe regularly so why tip?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by kabukabu50(m): 2:35am On Feb 12, 2011
a)You should tip because the servers usually make a minimal salary.
b)You tip to be remembered.
c)You tip because its common courtesy.

Nigerians wont tip,but they will shower money on strangers at owambe. grin grin
Talk about greasy. smiley
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:44pm On Feb 12, 2011
kabukabu50:

a)You should tip because the servers usually make a minimal salary.
b)You tip to be remembered.
c)You tip because its common courtesy.

Nigerians wont tip,but they will shower money on strangers at owambe. grin grin
Talk about greasy. smiley

are you crazy

a s/he was not forced to take the job

b there better ways to be remembered

c courtsey for what when am paying for service

it seems like it is an american thing to tip much of the world doesnt
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by deadie(m): 4:14pm On Feb 12, 2011
I tip the Police and all Public officials. As for the waiter and private sector workers, they should be contented that I patronise them grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by DisGuy: 5:43pm On Feb 12, 2011
still sounds much like an American thing to me, especially the waiter/service provider 'expecting' it

The nigerian aspect, where the doorman, waiter etc all rush to attend to you next time looks gross

SEFAGO:

@Ajanlekoko

However, I think Nigerians tip and its kind of in our culture. However the tips are an incentive to build favor or to show that we are a big Man. The tips in the west is courtesy- to show that you appreciate and respect the service of the person serving you. I kind of prefer the Nigerian one too- you get something from it, while you get nothing in the west.

What, you want a Chieftancy title with your gourmet burger?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by SEFAGO(m): 5:56pm On Feb 12, 2011
No but they are willing to do favors for you. Trust me if you tip someone in nigeria they will help you a lot. Tipping goes a long way. Now in other countries they collect your money and go away angry
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by Ndipe(m): 11:21pm On Feb 12, 2011
Tipping is not part of our culture. The west would tip the waiter for an excellent meal at a restaurant, tip their barber/hair dresser, the postman (like during Christmas, the . . ., ours, we pay our services through the nose, like being forced to part with money from the police, paying a non-existent electricity aka in the form of bill and all that. Give it a break.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by AngieFan(f): 11:25pm On Feb 12, 2011
Its a cultural thing. Tipping is a must in America whilst in the UK you have a choice as to whether you want to or not. Nigerians have their own form of tipping like they will give a bit extra to a bus driver after a long journey ect and maybe to the waiter in a bukka joint but it is not the norm for people who don't have money to spare whereas in America if you don't tip they will get pissed and let you know.
I remember one time I was in Tokyo and my friend left a tip on the table in a bar. When we walked out the waiter ran after us and put the money back in my friend's hand saying 'Japanese style!'. So I guess tipping is not the norm in Japan.

Lets embrace our cultural differences people!
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by MissEZ(f): 11:59pm On Feb 12, 2011
I think its a fair question, but also unjust since it pertains to cultural practices. Waiters dont get paid up to minimum wage in the US based on the fact that tips are calculated into restaurant bills. In nigeria this is not the case. And to be fair to some people they tip in many different ways from leaving their change for the waiter or simply dashing them money afterwards.

Also the issue of customer service not being part of our culture is right on. Some people get treated like crap at some restaurants. But i think the biggest issue is that our soceity isnt set up that way. There isnt a need to compare. Nigeria is not the west and i think the sooner we start realizing it, the better for us.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by chika98: 5:58am On Feb 13, 2011
It is rude not to tip. If I've gotten a bad service then I tip about 10% of the total bill. But the standard I tip all the time is 20% or 15% it depends. Unless of course When I travel out of the country to somewhere else that isn't big on tipping then I wont tip.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by justwise(m): 10:43am On Feb 13, 2011
chika98:

It is rude not to tip. If I've gotten a bad service then I tip about 10% of the total bill. But the standard I tip all the time is 20% or 15% it depends. Unless of course When I travel out of the country to somewhere else that isn't big on tipping then I wont tip.

I don't think its rude not to tip, i think tiping should be a personal thing, one shouldn't be forced to tip.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by AngieFan(f): 2:50pm On Feb 13, 2011
justwise:

I don't think its rude not to tip, i think tiping should be a personal thing, one shouldn't be forced to tip.

I think Chika98 is using the US as his point of reference. In that part of the world it can be considered highly offensive if you don't tip.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by justwise(m): 2:53pm On Feb 13, 2011
AngieFan:

I think Chika98 is using the US as his point of reference. In that part of the world it can be considered highly offensive if you don't tip.

Ok, but even at that, i will only tip if i was given good service.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by AngieFan(f): 3:03pm On Feb 13, 2011
Same here. But in America it is expected and they will give you attitude if you don't do so whereas in places like England and Nigeria it is not obligatory.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by justwise(m): 3:21pm On Feb 13, 2011
AngieFan:

Same here. But in America it is expected and they will give you attitude if you don't do so whereas in places like England and Nigeria it is not obligatory.

Well. . .in that case, i will not be in a hurry to visit that restaurant again b4 they give me 'rat eat and die'
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by gididi: 8:45am On Feb 14, 2011
tipping is unafrican.there is no difference b\w tip and bribe.you tip to get better service or you bribe to get better service. in nigeria ,you can tip to get oil well or paid some ministers 180m dollars for contract of 6b dollars. so lets be careful in promoting 'tip'. lets not confuse efcc.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by jba203: 11:27am On Feb 15, 2011
In South Africa is a Tradition. If u plan a nite out in a restaurant, u make sure that u also budget for a tip. Remember, that tip makes a diffrence to a waiter because it is part of the salary. With salry alone from the reastaurant, the waiter may fail to have basic needs like shelter and food. so we tip, no question about it. They can even remind u, but it is not compusory.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Feb 15, 2011
LOL tip ke. For this crep? cheesy
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by spicy007(f): 4:09pm On Feb 17, 2011
Tip ke? for Naija, no way!!! not pat of our culture o.
When we are still busy haggling the actual cost of the service, make we now come tip join! Lailai.
we fare better at tipping BEFORE service to encourage better quality of service, not AFTER.
and i guess that WERKS for us.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by uzhi(m): 3:42pm On Mar 06, 2015
I experienced dis tipping thing in Southafrica after eating in a restaurant, but didn't pay it. I told them it is known as bribe in my country. It was so alien to me, but i later get used to it after being frequent at restaurants.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Tip? Why Do You Pay For Good Service? by Aspireahead(m): 9:06am On Mar 07, 2015
uzhi:
I experienced dis tipping thing in Southafrica after eating in a restaurant, but didn't pay it. I told them it is known as bribe in my country. It was do alien to me, but i later get used to it after bring frequent at restaurants.
lol...'it is called bribe in Nigeria' if i happen to be in the US and someone ask me to tip.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Where Is Ministry Of Education Located In Abuja... Address Please / Canada 'chop Aduro' / Ten Year Uk Re-entry Ban: Will It Affect Us/canada Visa Applications?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.