Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,285 members, 7,815,482 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? (32784 Views)

How Many Months Salary Is Advisable To Use For House Rent? / Between "Barbing And Phone Repair" Which One Is More Lucrative To Learn / Hair Dressing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by Depressed101: 6:49pm On Aug 01, 2020
warlord24:
Why can't you just learn something from the tech industry.. even if its only GRAPHIC DESIGN OR WEB DESIGN.
must every one be in the tech sector? undecided

1 Like

Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by Toyinjones2020: 7:37pm On Aug 01, 2020
EXLOVER:
I will advise you to go for barbing.

As 20 years wey you be, it will help you. When you gain admission, you can be working at the hostel, and be your self boss, and barbing is very cheap and economical, you can just have a good clipper and a mirror you're good to go as a student, you can be making like 1500 or 2000 naira daily when working at the hostel with school light, your own is just to be settling hostel potters weekly with light change.

If you don't want to work at the hostel, you can still get a per time job at any chop, barbing is a skill that you can go to any city without money, with you skill and smartness you can start making money 2 seconds.

When you get your own shop as a barber, if your skill is good, you can be barbing 500 - 1000 per cut, depending on the location and city though.

Barbing is a fast cash thing, you can just walk into any barbing shop with traffic and empty barbing share to charge phone, you can assist the barber and get your instant money.

Tailoring is good, but it's sometimes stressful, and there are some seasons when things will be rough for you as a tailor.

Imagine you travel out of the country with your barbing skill.

My advise for you, is to learn the skill with someone that have the experience not a quack barbing shop, E get why, and just be focus, study hair cuts too all type.

I'm tired of typing errors, I will drop the mic here, if you have any question ask me.
I love what you wrote up there but I as a person learnt tailoring and it really helped me when I was in unilorin.
Tailoring (to me) has an advantage that you can collect clothes and give your clients days or weeks depending on when you have opportunity to sew unlike barbing that you cannot ask your customers to drop their heads

1 Like

Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by AFONJAPIG(m): 8:02pm On Aug 01, 2020
My candit advise to you, go for tailoring, if u have good tailor u knw in aba please humbly go their and do some apprenticeship, bet me kn two years to come if u knw what u are doing u will be swimming in million, most of my friends into tailoring now has show rooms and if u see the kind of foriegn machines they use to sew clothes u can't find it anywhere else in Nigeria, majority of them rent flats , roaming the town with their flashy cars, gone are days when tailors are considered too poor, just learn now to sew natives, sanators , come back here in two years and thank me

2 Likes

Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by Xristars(m): 8:14pm On Aug 01, 2020
I'm a tailor. if you like quick money choose barbing. People will always barb hair at least once in two weeks. And you are sure of minumum of 1k a day. My Uncle na barber.

While tailor, *smiles* anytime anyday. Depends on your packaging and marketing. Even if you don't earn per day but when you earn you earn big. I made 10k this month from nose mask sales, I just recycled pieces of fabrics and market it.

My boss that owns a fashion house where I work earns nothing less than 100k a month. He sew one senator for 8k.

But tailoring requires cool head, ability to relax and learn and a creative mindset.
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 8:17pm On Aug 01, 2020
Bro, follow your heart
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by adahgold(m): 8:31pm On Aug 01, 2020
Tailoring anytime.
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by investigator007: 8:35pm On Aug 01, 2020
They are both good to go, but personally I think tailoring has an edge considering the fact that everyone wears clothes, nevertheless if you're good barber, you'll still make it well, good news is FCMB are offering a chance to #DoSomethingEpic, your ideas might just come to reality

Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by EXLOVER(m): 8:36pm On Aug 01, 2020
Toyinjones2020:

I love what you wrote up there but I as a person learnt tailoring and it really helped me when I was in unilorin.
Tailoring (to me) has an advantage that you can collect clothes and give your clients days or weeks depending on when you have opportunity to sew unlike barbing that you cannot ask your customers to drop their heads
Lol....@ drop their head, well both are lucrative, I have some tailoring friends sha. But i think barbing is easier, especially when you know your onion.

1 Like

Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by kiddkash(m): 9:03pm On Aug 01, 2020
wfjimmytobby:
...modafuckers that's fucking expensive for a hair cut..
they make tons of money here
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by labelle123(f): 9:06pm On Aug 01, 2020
HundredWays:
Fashion is the order of the day.
Both tailoring and barbing are the new school fashion..

Try shoe making cool
Just what I was about to type. Started last week and I'm enjoying it
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by Lagyaovye33: 9:15pm On Aug 01, 2020
When genetor and clippers begin to give u headache eh na there the thing go sweet.go for tailoring if u like it.am a tailor i no the benefit
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by Originalsly: 10:13pm On Aug 01, 2020
Hmmm.... it depends. Must it be one?.... plan on both. Barbing is a quick and less costly start up. If you have that kind hand skill then start with barbing. Get more than one clipper.... varying sizes... hair sprays... brushes ... and equipment sanitizers. Practice on local youths... small charge since you be experimenting on their heads! Go to You Tube.... learn techniques and up to date styles. Wherever you're based... find out average prices... charge a bit less to establish yourself and build customer base. Learn to cut "straight hair" as well so the Chinese etc can also become customers.
On tailoring..... think not so much about people coming to you. Think about designing a d sewing clothes... having a label... and selling online and in stores.

1 Like

Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by Thonee(m): 10:31pm On Aug 01, 2020
Choose the one that you have passion for and master it, both are lucrative and you can make good money based on ur location and no:6.

1 Like

Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by Yinksy09(m): 10:33pm On Aug 01, 2020
Both but depends on why, what and how you intend to use that skill.
Also Find the right financial solutions tailored to your needs.

https://fcmb.com/epic/

Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by golddare: 11:36pm On Aug 01, 2020
nastyking:
Barbing vs Tailoring which is advisable to learn for a 20 year old guy. All opinions are acceptable

Barbing, everyone barbs once or twice a week not everyone sews clothes in a month.

1 Like

Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by immaq8(f): 1:15am On Aug 02, 2020
pls can someone recommend a good clipper with the price. I urgently need one.
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by Ndipe(m): 1:52am On Aug 02, 2020
Tailoring. Guys can barb their hair at home with the aid of a clippers, to save money.
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by mmsen: 5:07am On Aug 02, 2020
laosy:
You should opt for barbing as a guy, unless you want to sow ladies wear too cuz guys barely sow.
We buy ready made jeans and top and we're good. Barbing on the other hand is easier to learn and set up within a short time, and definitely people barb daily but people doesn't sow daily.

A good tailor will always have customers, whether men or women.
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by UPMIKE: 6:13am On Aug 02, 2020
Go for barbing.
Just learn from the best barbers and be focused and diligent at it
You will never regret it my bros.
I know what I'm saying.
BESTLUCK.

1 Like

Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by kolade560: 7:18am On Aug 02, 2020
grin get lappy and kick start levels, normal hustle na cast in Nigeria.
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by Tundex911: 7:33am On Aug 02, 2020
See wetin pass and present Nigeria don cause, 60%of my contacts na tailor if not dem slay mama gonna be slippers and wears seller...

Even person to patronize sef I don't know.. Smh
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by Sanishu: 8:50am On Aug 02, 2020
Barbing cos people got to test u out , it's with good short and long run. Tailoring has a good long run only

1 Like

Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by Elvis778(m): 11:09am On Aug 02, 2020
laosy:
You should opt for barbing as a guy, unless you want to sow ladies wear too cuz guys barely sow.
We buy ready made jeans and top and we're good. Barbing on the other hand is easier to learn and set up within a short time, and definitely people barb daily but people doesn't sow daily.
Lol, seriously, you will never know the money in tailoring until you work in a good tailor's shop, I am currently learning how to sew (since school never wan open) and I must say, money dey here no be small, u might not sew much but many guys are into senator wears these days and it ain't cheap, atleast, you would pay not less than 4k per wear, depending on the material...and if the tailor is sourcing for the material himself, we will be talking of 8-20k depending on the material.....and it's fun too.
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by richyfunky(m): 11:29am On Aug 02, 2020
Brunosamel:

I learnt how to barb when I was in jss 3, my brother owns a barbbing shop... This year is making it 14 years since I started barbbing... I have trained not less than 7 boys.....

It really helped me to go through the university, graduated last year December will be going for service next year....

I can attest if you learn how to barb you will never regret it, it is very lucrative, even during the lockdown i was making dope.... you will never go hungry in life if you know what you doing.... As am typing this I have already made 6k today

I saving up to open my own barbing shop and empower young adults cuz it is the way to go....

All thanks to my brother whom helped my life, the boy never goes broke.....
I like your spirit brother. Please I want to acquire the skill, can you train me, I reside in Lagos
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by olmoRoc: 12:39pm On Aug 02, 2020
you can actually learn both. You can learn barbing in no time. On the other hand, it'd take you quite some time to become a good tailor. So, while you're attending your fashion institute, you'd be already earning some pocket change.
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by Brunosamel(m): 1:35pm On Aug 02, 2020
richyfunky:

I like your spirit brother. Please I want to acquire the skill, can you train me, I reside in Lagos

sorry bro I can't teach you because of the distance, am staying in Asia state, umuahia precisely....but you can find someone there in lagos.... scrutinize the person skill very well, there are some people that there hand a good and crafty, more of artistian, find such personal to train you.... I wish you all the best!
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by ufuosman(m): 4:07pm On Aug 02, 2020
Go for tailoring
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by emerald42: 5:00pm On Aug 02, 2020
warlord24:
Why can't you just learn something from the tech industry.. even if its only GRAPHIC DESIGN OR WEB DESIGN.
I want to learn any of the two but, I dont know how to go about it. Please help
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by jawalis(m): 9:33am On Aug 03, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr

To me I recommend barbing anyday anytime twice on Saturday

Niggarzz will always want a nice cut and shave till the end of time
If you can set up a type of barbing saloon that looks dope
Like the one set up by ice cube in that movie tittled " barbers shop"
If you can set up such funny environment like that barbers shop then where ever you are located i will come and have a nice cut....
Love that movie so much ft ice cube, Nicky Minaj, Cedric the entertainer, Michael ealy, queen latifah, Regina hall, Anthony Anderson, common Rashid, drain cole and Michael reiny
I have been looking for thread to mention you bro. I don’t know the correct spelling of your username so I can’t just mention in any thread cis it might not get to you. I’d love to talk with you brother. Actually needs some put through.

1 Like

Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by mivepa: 3:06pm On Aug 04, 2020
Actually, I would recommend tailoring.

Why? You ask.
Well, while barbing is a great career or business avenue it has a zoned nature, meaning you become a champion mostly only within your immediate locality. Business success today does not only depend on how much profit you make on each actual SALE or haircut, but also on how much POPULARITY and REACH your business is able to garner within the shortest possible period of time.

In the light of the above, tailoring which I preferably call, "Fashion designing" has an edge over barbing business.

Advantages of Tailoring over Barbing business
1. Zoned Contact Nature:
Barbing is a 'physical-contact' and zoned business. You need to actually be with the client in order to cut their hair.
In practical terms, a Barber in Lagos may not be able to barb a client in Abuja because of various constraints. Even if your client is rich and can afford to buy you a return flight ticket, still this will put too much undue pressure both on you and your clients having to travel thousands of kilometers over every haircut request.

Tailoring / fashion designing on the other hand can be done as a 'packaged' non-physical-contact business. For instance, a Tailor can get a wonderful dress made for any client anywhere and at even the shortest notice, once he/she gets the vital statistics (Body measurements) of the client.

2. Reach
It makes no economic sense for a Barber in Lagos to advertise his/her services to clients in other states in the country. His target will most likely be clients within his immediate locality or at most, within Lagos. Any more than that, unforeseen travel and hotel accommodation issues begin to set in.

However, a Fashion designer or Tailor can freely showcase his/her designs and fashion concepts on social media such as Instagram and Facebook where foreign orders and contracts are likely to be landed easily.
Since Tailoring can be operated as a packaged business, using standard available sizes for clothing items (All those size 41, 44 stuffs we are familiar with), he or she can sew as much number and varied sizes of clothing items (Shirts, Trousers, Caps, Buba, Agbada, Bubu etc) as required, package them and ship anywhere in the world without ever having met the client physically, as far as payments terms have been agreed upon.

3. eCommerce advantage.
I do not need to write too much on this as it is quite obvious.
A Barber may not be able to have an eCommerce website for his or her business. How will clients order his barbing services online? Well, it is possible though, but will be rather clumsy because it will mean he must travel all over the place to fufil every single haircut order!

For the Tailor or Fashion design expert however, this is like paradise to him or her.
He could easily take lovely images of his stock, place them on his eCommerce website for sale and next moment, orders are rolling in.
When those orders come in, he or she only needs the services of logistics partners (Package delivery companies) to fulfill the orders.
The beautiful thing is, while those orders are on their way out, he remains in (shop, home, office, anywhere!) and is able to focus on taking his business to the next level without undue distractions traveling around to fulfill orders like the Barber.

4. Enhanced Social/Political Connections:
As a Fashion designer, if your work and designs are great, you have a much greater chance of becoming a well known BRAND in the fashion society easily, atleast within the country for a start.
You may be invited to join fashion contests or contracted to design attires for beauty pageants and celebrities. In the fashion world, your brand name precedes you and travels to distant places even before you dreamt of ever getting to those places yourself. Except your designs are nothing to write home about, great designs advertise themselves and hence, your profile grows naturally, so does your profits and connections.

The fashion industry is the best place to connect with the who-is-who in the society, no matter your religion, color or language. Your fashion design business is one of the few businesses that will bring you face to face with important personalities and celebrities in the society who also want to flash your wonderful designs before people in their social circle and to the admiration of their friends. At that level, your fashion brand becomes the polished 'Couture' every big guy is talking about.

So, my pick will be....
Well, you guessed it!

By the way, for anyone out there who is also contemplating on what type of business they may venture into with ease, little capital and good gains, I recommend going into the production of daily-need items.

Soap making is a highly rewarding, fast moving and a very easy business requiring very low startup capital, typically N5,000.

It does not require electric power or expensive equipment.
Not everyone will buy a car in the next few months but everyone needs soap!

Get details on how to start this and many more.

For just N1,500 you will get an Empowerment Kit on how to produce and market the following items:
1. Perfumes / Body Spray
2. Chocolate Drink
3. Bar Soap
4. Liquid Soap
5. Insecticide
6. Air Freshener
7. Custard
8. Hair Shampoo
9. Hair Conditioner
10. Cold Starch
11. Scouring Powder
12. Nail Polish Remover
13. Bleach
14. Talcum Powder
15. Dusting Powder
16. Fruit Juice
17. Perfumed Hand Wash
18. Ceramics Stain Remover / Toilet Stain Remover
19. Antiseptic Disinfectant
20. Germicide
21. More…

Whao! That's a long list of over 20 items!

Want the empowerment kit?

Get it here... >>>
Re: Barbing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? by Abusufian: 2:08pm On Dec 05, 2023
Dis one no get joy oooo
Onclick:
If you're greedy, you can learn both

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How True Is This ? (snap Shot) / Bristow Helicopters Sacks 100 Pilots, Engineers / A Doctor Reveals The Only Thing That Truly Separates Doctors From Nurses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.