Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,039 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS (2192 Views)

Nokia To Change Name To 'Microsoft Lumia' / Rep Your Phone Os:android,bb Os,ios,symbian,windows OS.... / Meet Ubuntu Phone Os. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by semid4lyfe(m): 10:07am On Feb 11, 2011
NOKIA AND MICROSOFT FORM PARTNERSHIP
11 February 2011 Last updated at 08:06 GMT

Nokia has announced plans to form a "broad strategic partnership" with Microsoft.

The deal would see Nokia use the Windows phone operating system for its smartphones, the company said.

Microsoft's Bing will power Nokia's search services, while Nokia Maps would be a core part of Microsoft's mapping services.

Read the full story HERE as I can't post it cos of the spambot wink
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by Bawss1(m): 11:00am On Feb 11, 2011
Lucky you I tried starting a thread on this topic but was restrained by the spambot. angry

Anyways this new development (the Nokia and Microsoft alliance) is an interesting one. Its obviously an opportunity for Nokia to regain its mojo back and Microsoft to launch itself deeper into the phone market. I like it, can't wait to see the new Nokia models that will ensue.
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by WackyJ1(m): 1:22pm On Feb 11, 2011
This is sad, symbian is going, I'm curious to see what the new Nokia phones will be like. And i'm hearing of Meego for the first time
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by NnamdiN: 1:43pm On Feb 11, 2011
semid4lyfe:

NOKIA AND MICROSOFT FORM PARTNERSHIP

Read the full story HERE as I can't post it cos of the spambot wink
how do u manage to hide links, I've always wanted to know, Can u teach me please
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by Phony200(m): 1:57pm On Feb 11, 2011
Symbian will still be used for middle and low-end phones with a view to broaden the use of WP7 in some middle-end phones too. Meego is also still going to be developed as an open-source alternative. maybe one device this year. All in all, i'm really psyched about the partnership. If you can't create a new ecosystem of services from scratch, then it doesn't hurt to join one that at least does the least harm to your company as a brand. I'm really really looking forward to the first nokia device running WP7, I'm sure after the initial cramps and adjustments, both will be just fine. Android may soon get to a point where it's not easy for any manufacturer to carve a niche for itself unlike what one sees with iOS, RIM and WP7 which have distinct feels and features. Customers are still gonna be the overall winners at the end of the day.
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by Azanor(m): 1:58pm On Feb 11, 2011
I think this is a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. Good because both companies have strong products (xbox live and zune from microsoft, ovi maps and ovi stores from nokia) and combining them can only make them better. Engineers from both sides of the pond workin together, excellent finnish hardware plus impressive american software skills can make a good product. Having said that, I dont really like Windows Phone 7 as it is right now. In my opinion, it's almost as restrictive as iOS and has quite a few kinks that need urgent straightening out ( no file manage, no copy & paste, 3rd party apps loading too long, no multitasking). If these problems can be ironed out, then the future is really bright. If however. Microsoft chooses to leave things this way, then nokia fanboys (like me) who we're willing to give the new partnership the benefit of a doubt, will dump them like cheating lovers.
Right now, I'm making contingency plans to switch to Android, just incase sh!t happens.
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by Azanor(m): 2:06pm On Feb 11, 2011
Come to think of it, back in the days when Windows Mobile was the reigning PDA/Smartphone Champ, Nokia partnered with other phone manufacturers to form the symbian foundation and came up with symbian OS which proceeded to trash Windows Mobile in it's own parlour. Now that Android and iOS are dominating the smartphone market, is Nokia looking to repeat history by befriending it's old enemy to show the new school, that these old timers still pack a powerful punch? Only time will tell.
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by frgy1: 3:04pm On Feb 11, 2011
Azanor:

I think this is a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. Good because both companies have strong products (xbox live and zune from microsoft, ovi maps and ovi stores from nokia) and combining them can only make them better. Engineers from both sides of the pond workin together, excellent finnish hardware plus impressive american software skills can make a good product. Having said that, I dont really like Windows Phone 7 as it is right now. In my opinion, it's almost as restrictive as iOS and has quite a few kinks that need urgent straightening out (no file manage, no copy & paste, 3rd party apps loading too long, no multitasking). If these problems can be ironed out, then the future is really bright. If however. Microsoft chooses to leave things this way, then nokia fanboys (like me) who we're willing to give the new partnership the benefit of a doubt, will dump them like cheating lovers.
Right now, I'm making contingency plans to switch to Android, just incase droppings happens.
What!!!? Really ? And its meant to run on smartphones ?
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:25pm On Feb 11, 2011
@frgy, yes believe it or not, thats microsoft for u o, think they can get away with anything
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by Phony200(m): 3:32pm On Feb 11, 2011
Some of those issues will be fixed with the first update. By the time the nokia team is done with it, I'm sure it'll stand toe to toe wt d androids.
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by zenus(m): 4:50pm On Feb 11, 2011
Let's see what the future has for NOKIA.
Final Death to symbian.
Nokia Phones will be of 3diff OS
1. Meego
2. WT7 (Symbian)
3. Java
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by frgy1: 5:21pm On Feb 11, 2011
I don't know why , but I don't think I like this. Its like microsoft is stealing nokia's hard work.
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by Phony200(m): 5:32pm On Feb 11, 2011
^^^It's more like WP7 for the high end phones, Symbian for middle and low end phones (this includes S^3, S60 5th, S40 java) and Meego more like an open source option.
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by semid4lyfe(m): 5:48pm On Feb 11, 2011
Off topic

NnamdiN:
how do u manage to hide links, I've always wanted to know, Can u teach me please

It's easy. Lets assume the link is http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12427680

All I have to add are the parts in yellow in the screenshot.

Pls, note that any word can be in place of NnamdiN. The link above is seen as only NnamdiN

That's all. . . .see the screenshot below

Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by aieromon(m): 6:07pm On Feb 11, 2011
It was bound to happen with the decline in market shares.I think this partnership will favor Microsoft more than Nokia.
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by zenus(m): 6:21pm On Feb 11, 2011
Phony200:

^^^It's more like WP7 for the high end phones, Symbian for middle and low end phones (this includes S^3, S60 5th, S40 java) and Meego more like an open source option.

Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by na2day(m): 10:05pm On Feb 11, 2011
Hmmmmm. Two "out-of-touch has-beens" are getting together to give birth to an exciting range of smartphones in a couple of years time?
That's a long time in Smartphone Land! Apple and Google will have disappeared from sight by then. I think Google summed it up very well: "Two Turkeys do not make an Eagle"

If I was Nokia I'd have spread my wings and like HTC release phones on Android and Microsoft!

grin grin grin
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by WackyJ1(m): 11:20pm On Feb 11, 2011
aieromon:

It was bound to happen with the decline in market shares.I think this partnership will favor Microsoft more than Nokia.
frgy_:

I don't know why , but I don't think I like this. Its like microsoft is stealing nokia's hard work.
^^^These are why i don't like this partnership
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by DoubleN(m): 12:53am On Feb 12, 2011
I still feel Nokia should have gone the Andriod route. This would cause them less money in the run (ala microsoft licensing issues) and would be an instant hit in the market. Nokia makes if not the most reliable phone hardware in the world today but has always been let down by the third wheel called Symbian. Ditching Symbian for andriod would have been a match made in Smartphone heaven. With a ready consumer base on ground, developers and access to 200,000 + apps in the market place, what else could they have asked for? Windows Phone 7 is just microsoft's way of trying to remain relevant in the smartphone OS business especially for the enterprise. The second alternative was to follow the HTC route and make for both OS's!
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by Phony200(m): 2:42am On Feb 12, 2011
^^I never saw nokia going for android. . . Nokia offer help, android doesn't. Nokia needs an OS they can work with, android offers basically UI customizations at most! The cool thing about the NokiaSoft alliance is that WP7 will be available fully to Nokia to work on. They can integrate their own unique hardware capabilities into wp7 and release phones that still retain that distinct nokia reliability. They also get to determine the future direction of the wp7 OS. Most importantly, microsoft needs Nokia to take this deal and make it work. I see it as win-win situation. It's definitely a marathon, the smartphone market. Whatever share they lose, it's definitely not impossible to win back if the ecosystem works. Personally, i'm looking forward to a phone a la Xperia Play, made by Nokia with full Xbox live capacity. Besides, we can't really say much until the plans come out at MWC soon enough.
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by NnamdiN: 8:18am On Feb 12, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Off topic

It's easy. Lets assume the link is http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12427680

All I have to add are the parts in yellow in the screenshot.

Pls, note that any word can be in place of NnamdiN. The link above is seen as only NnamdiN

That's all. . . .see the screenshot below
thanks man, U r a darling grin

@OP d way u guys understand these gadgets surprises me, All I know bout my phone is dat it's 1adem E series,,, hu cares bout nokia, android , Ipad, Itissue, microhard etc grin
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by WackyJ1(m): 2:50pm On Feb 12, 2011
NnamdiN:

hu cares bout nokia, android , Ipad, Itissue, microhard etc grin
lol
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by na2day(m): 10:31pm On Feb 12, 2011
[size=13pt]Why Didn’t Nokia Use Android? Because That Would Be Giving Up[/size]

By now, you know that Nokia decided to side with Microsoft and Windows Phone 7 instead of Google and Android. Why didn't they want Android? Because Nokia felt that that would be going down without a fight.

Nokia considered three OSes to move to: MeeGo, Android or Windows Phone 7. In talking about Android, Elop admits to its strength but also points out some weaknesses:
"There's something happening there. There's no denying that. Butour sense was differentiation could be a pretty big challenge. The risk for commoditization would increase dramatically."

Nokia knew that it was too late to join the Android party—Android had become a crowded space. Creating a standout Android phone would not only be difficult given the experience of other companies but because it could get lost in the maul of Android phones available. Even Android phone makers would admit that it's hard to stay at the top of the Android power rankings—hell, doesn't it seem like the "best Android phone" only has a lifespan of a month before it gets dethroned? Nokia saw Google eventually getting all the profits as hardware gets commoditized.

And maybe Windows Phone 7 will have those same hardware "issues" as Android but Nokia felt it could differentiate its handsets by dropping in Nokia specific features like their Navteq location-based services. That, they felt, would give them a leg up.

But none of those arguments seem to matter as much as this one: Nokia didn't want to lose the smartphone wars without giving Google and Apple an honest fight. Choosing Android would mean that they'd become a bit player in a two-horse race (Apple vs Google). Choosing Windows Phone means they're hoping and fighting to add another horse. It might be too late and maybe Nokia had to sell their soul, who knows, but I respect any one who goes down swinging.
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by na2day(m): 10:34pm On Feb 12, 2011
^^^only time will tell the wisdom of the decision above! grin
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by Nobody: 4:23pm On Feb 13, 2011
its so annoying, nokia should have gone the way of htc, make phones for with android and wp7, and let consumers chose their product. Although according to the deal nokia can reprogram the os to dia own specs but i still think it would be hard to compete with android, they are talking about releasing a phone with wp7 by the 4th quarter, and to slowdown support for symbian, now pls tell me y should i go to the market and buy N8 tomorrow.
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by Pharoh: 10:21am On Feb 14, 2011
u2 1 day:

its so annoying, nokia should have gone the way of htc, make phones for with android and wp7, and let consumers chose their product. Although according to the deal nokia can reprogram the os to dia own specs but i still think it would be hard to compete with android, they are talking about releasing a phone with wp7 by the 4th quarter, and to slowdown support for symbian, now pls tell me y should i go to the market and buy N8 tomorrow.

Nokia would not have won in the long run by going the htc route . . the windows phone route is better but they should not have relegated meego into the back corner. They also alienated a lot of the developers by dropping support for QT and moving to .net but all in all it was a good move which both parties needed badly. The only thing is for them to start making phones quickly and move into the tablet frenzy right now before it is too late.
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by Pharoh: 10:30am On Feb 14, 2011
na2day!:

Hmmmmm. Two "out-of-touch has-beens" are getting together to give birth to an exciting range of smartphones in a couple of years time?
That's a long time in Smartphone Land! Apple and Google will have disappeared from sight by then. I think Google summed it up very well: "Two Turkeys do not make an Eagle"

If I was Nokia I'd have spread my wings and like HTC release phones on Android and Microsoft!

grin grin grin

HTC and nokia are not mates when it comes to the technology field so nokia definitely needs a unique relationship that should someday transform into the iphone ecosystem. They made a lot of mistakes by not doubling their product portfolios into laptops, tablets and media players, they missed a lot of technological knowledge and life cycles of these period of time. There is absolutely no way that nokia would have survived in the android market, it would just be one of those companies because Motorola and samsung will give them a very tough fight.

Just look at the mobile world congress going on now and see the number of phones that are coming out . . you think nokia can compete and be the top dog in that market? Going with windows phone 7 was the best because they would quickly capture the african, asian, european and even the elusive american market. Big companies definitely need a unique relationship at some point, samsung also has bada os and nokia should just stick with windows phone 7 imo for that unique relationship ( Hardware + Software).
Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by texazzpete(m): 11:31am On Feb 14, 2011
Check out this excerpt i grabbed from Gizmodo a while back.
Most of the WP7 hate is from people who haven't used it. Watch a few YouTube videos, download the WP7 emulator on your desktop and see why the OS shows so much promise.

Re: Nokia To Start Using Windows Phone OS by Azanor(m): 1:40pm On Feb 14, 2011
@texazzpete: I agree with u. I watched a few Windows Phone 7 reviews on youtube and the OS has a lot of potential. Combining with Nokia is about the best thing Microsoft could have done to increase interest in their mobile OS becos, by the time the first phone from this partnership shows up, most people would just see nokia on the box and want to buy it. Hopefully, by then Microsoft would have added the necessary upgrades to it's OS to make it more competitive.
My only problem is that this will take a while to happen. Most likely, the first device won't be ready till the holiday season.

(1) (2) (Reply)

MTN BIS Problems On Android As Of May 30 2013 / How To Install XUI On Infinix Zero 2 / Prices Of Infinix Android Phones In Nigeria 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.