Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,503 members, 7,830,516 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Please Webmasters, Read And Respond. I Am Confused - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Please Webmasters, Read And Respond. I Am Confused (867 Views)

Please Webmasters Read This / E-topup Guy, Go And Respond To Your Customers,now. / Please Webmasters, Read this. Pls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Webmasters, Read And Respond. I Am Confused by Winnerslfc(m): 5:51pm On Feb 12, 2011
Thanks for checking in.
I have been keeping these questions with me for a long time because i was shy to ask. But today, i decided to.
Before i ask my questions, please, i am new in web design {i can say i'm a novice though i've designed a couple of sites on free hosting service like http://successsys..com etc} so pardon me if you find me asking funny questions. Do you agree to help me? "YES YOU AGREE" ok! Thanks.
If you look at a website, you will find pages like "home, about us, contact us, our goals etc {i know they are called Static pages} but my question is how are they arranged on the website? {i mean, in some sites, you find them at the top-right hand screen. In some other site, you find them at the top-left hand side. Some sites even repeat them at the bottom of the home page. How are they taken there?} in the free hosting i have used, after i create my pages, they are automatically arranged for me. Now that i want to buy my own domain, how can i do that. Or is it that the hosting company would give me some all-ready made layouts to pick from just like the other free service like Blogger would do?
When using a free service, i am asked to choose a template from already made ones. Please would it be same with a paid service or i would have to create a template myself.
If i would have to create myself, how do i go about it.
I do both HTML and CSS hand coding. I can create a form and SUBMIT botton but my problem is, when these forms are filled where are they submitted to and how can i create the destination and be able to retrieve people information after their submition?
When you fill a form online and submit, on coming back the next day to log in, if you provide a wrong username, you will get a writing in red "invalid username or password." How is this programmed? Also, when signing up on NL for instance, if you use my username "winnerslfc," you will be told that the name is already in use. How can i enable this on my site.
When you sign up with a web host, do i just get a blank page and thats all or they would also have some things to give me like: template, theme, layout etc just like "wordpress would do in their free blog offer?
Also, i want know "word verification" {captcha} are generated by the website.
I know i have asked loads of question. Please don't leave without contributing.
Please make your answers very detailled and comprehensive.
If you want to assist me with answers via emails, salisfelix@yahoo.com.
Your replies are really appreciated.
Thanks.
Re: Please Webmasters, Read And Respond. I Am Confused by MaJBlige(f): 6:31pm On Feb 12, 2011
If you look at a website, you will find pages like "home, about us, contact us, our goals etc {i know they are called Static pages} but my question is how are they arranged on the website? {i mean, in some sites, you find them at the top-right hand screen. In some other site, you find them at the top-left hand side. Some sites even repeat them at the bottom of the home page. How are they taken there?} in the free hosting i have used, after i create my pages, they are automatically arranged for me. Now that i want to buy my own domain, how can i do that. Or is it that the hosting company would give me some all-ready made layouts to pick from just like the other free service like Blogger would do?

Why not simply use one of these free templates all over the place? They are good for a start.

When using a free service, i am asked to choose a template from already made ones. Please would it be same with a paid service or i would have to create a template myself. If i would have to create myself, how do i go about it.

For paid services, you are not forced to use their templates, if any. It is not absolutely a must for you to use templates on your website - you can create your pages afresh by using your own HTML/Scripts etc. These days, everything is pick and drop objects - if you use programmes like Microsoft Frontpage, Visual Web developer, Visual Studio, Dreamweaver etc - most of the HTML parts are objects you can simply drop unto your pages without writing codes or using templates -

There are however lovely templates all over the place - for free or for a fee and they come very very handy and makes the job easier.

I do both HTML and CSS hand coding. I can create a form and SUBMIT botton but my problem is, when these forms are filled where are they submitted to and how can i create the destination and be able to retrieve people information after their submition?

It depends on what you want to do or what way you like to process your form data. You can send the form data to a backend database - mysql, access or the bigger ones - oracle etc. So you must have a backend DB that retrieves or collects the values and save them into a table on the DB. Or, if you want, you can process the data real time - on the fly and have the result sent to the calling page or to another page. To do these you need a CGI script to make it work - again it depends on the developing environment you are using.

To retrieve information after submission, you also need some form of script to collect the data from source, process and output it as you wish.

When you fill a form online and submit, on coming back the next day to log in, if you provide a wrong username, you will get a writing in red "invalid username or password." How is this programmed? Also, when signing up on NL for instance, if you use my username "winnerslfc," you will be told that the name is already in use. How can i enable this on my site.

When you hit the submit button, their are what is called validation scripts on the page, they check the format and etc of each form element, and if anything is wrong, the page simply displays a message.

In the case of usernames/passwords - there is a query which checks the form entries to the content of a Database table - example- the script behind the button - e.g. the onClick event of an image or a button, will have a query to say, if any of the details doesnt match the one in the DB, simply post an error message.

They all work with scripts - but these days of asp.net/visual studio - they are all drag and drop objects you can use without writing a code.

When you sign up with a web host, do i just get a blank page and thats all or they would also have some things to give me like: template, theme, layout etc just like "wordpress would do in their free blog offer?

Everything is blank, you have to create your own pages - upload them - or use existing templates - upload them to the server -

Off course your home page will be named something like - index.html or default.asp or so - depending on which platform you are developing.
Re: Please Webmasters, Read And Respond. I Am Confused by Jencejyde(m): 2:16pm On Feb 14, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

Why not simply use one of these free templates all over the place? They are good for a start.

When using a free service, i am asked to choose a template from already made ones. Please would it be same with a paid service or i would have to create a template myself. If i would have to create myself, how do i go about it.

For paid services, you are not forced to use their templates, if any. It is not absolutely a must for you to use templates on your website - you can create your pages afresh by using your own HTML/Scripts etc. These days, everything is pick and drop objects - if you use programmes like Microsoft Frontpage, Visual Web developer, Visual Studio, Dreamweaver etc - most of the HTML parts are objects you can simply drop unto your pages without writing codes or using templates -

There are however lovely templates all over the place - for free or for a fee and they come very very handy and makes the job easier.

It depends on what you want to do or what way you like to process your form data. You can send the form data to a backend database - mysql, access or the bigger ones - oracle etc. So you must have a backend DB that retrieves or collects the values and save them into a table on the DB. Or, if you want, you can process the data real time - on the fly and have the result sent to the calling page or to another page. To do these you need a CGI script to make it work - again it depends on the developing environment you are using.

To retrieve information after submission, you also need some form of script to collect the data from source, process and output it as you wish.

When you hit the submit button, their are what is called validation scripts on the page, they check the format and etc of each form element, and if anything is wrong, the page simply displays a message.

In the case of usernames/passwords - there is a query which checks the form entries to the content of a Database table - example- the script behind the button - e.g. the onClick event of an image or a button, will have a query to say, if any of the details doesnt match the one in the DB, simply post an error message.

They all work with scripts - but these days of asp.net/visual studio - they are all drag and drop objects you can use without writing a code.

Everything is blank, you have to create your own pages - upload them - or use existing templates - upload them to the server -

Off course your home page will be named something like - index.html or default.asp or so - depending on which platform you are developing.

Question Answered I guess.
Re: Please Webmasters, Read And Respond. I Am Confused by Afam4eva(m): 3:24pm On Feb 14, 2011
For the links alignment stuff. I'm surprised you didn't know that you can use CSS since you said you knwo how to use HTML and CSS.

If you get a paid web host. You can either choose to use a template that't usually found in the fantastico or you create it from scratch.
Re: Please Webmasters, Read And Respond. I Am Confused by gozzilla(m): 3:27pm On Feb 14, 2011
Please don't put the guy to shame again. He is asking and I think he has gotten his answers. Just surprised he has not checked back 2 days later.
Re: Please Webmasters, Read And Respond. I Am Confused by Winnerslfc(m): 4:56pm On Feb 14, 2011
gozzilla:

Please don't put the guy to shame again. He is asking and I think he has gotten his answers. Just surprised he has not checked back 2 days later.
This post really caught my emotion i feel as though i didn't fulfil my appreciation promise. Please pardon me guys i was writing a reply yesterday when my friend came to call me for some activity. When i returned, i was thinking i had already posted the reply.
@j.blige.
Thanks for your detailled exposure. But i am still battling to learn some terms you used. Such as. scripting, database, mysql, cgi etc.
please can your explain them or suggest a website that has comprehensive tutorials on this.
Thanks once more for your help.
@jenceiyde,
YES O! Brother the guy took his time.
Thanks for commenting.
@afam4eva,
thanks man! May your name{Afam} live for ever. I will appreciate any more help from you and others. Thanks.
@gozzilla,
big bros, thanks for appealing on my behalf. Your contribution is and will be highly appreciated.
@all.
Thanks.
Hoping to get more exposure.
Re: Please Webmasters, Read And Respond. I Am Confused by Nobody: 10:45pm On Feb 15, 2011
Dont upload any site yet understand web design first of all play around programming codes
Re: Please Webmasters, Read And Respond. I Am Confused by Winnerslfc(m): 11:39pm On Feb 15, 2011
cyclops4real:

Dont upload any site yet understand web design first of all play around programming codes
ok! Thanks man! And that is why your help is highly needed.
Thanks.
Re: Please Webmasters, Read And Respond. I Am Confused by Nobody: 8:48am On Feb 16, 2011
very interesting! @op, go and look for css for dummies, and html for dummies, them go teach you how to design a pure template from the scratch!
Re: Please Webmasters, Read And Respond. I Am Confused by Winnerslfc(m): 10:17am On Feb 16, 2011
*dhtml:

very interesting! @op, go and look for css for dummies, and html for dummies, them go teach you how to design a pure template from the scratch!
Ehhhmmm. . . . .
Ok thanks man!

(1) (Reply)

Please Is Smartwebng A Genuine Webhost? / Who Can Create Me A Website Like Shopizee.com / Gaining More Likes On Facebook Fan Page ** Promote Your Business ** Make Cool $$

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.