Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,364 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

African Cup Of Nations 2006: End Of Round 1 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / African Cup Of Nations 2006: End Of Round 1 (1401 Views)

4 Nigerians To Play For Sudan In African Cup Of Nations / What Station Is Showing African Cup Of Nations In The United States? / The Nigerian Team List For African Cup Of Nations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Cup Of Nations 2006: End Of Round 1 by Chxta(m): 10:52pm On Jan 31, 2006
Afcon 2006, End Of Round 1

My impression after the first game (Egypt-Libya) was this: Libya was a joke and I seriously expected them to be a cake walk for the other group teams. In that game Abu Treka's goal was simply beautiful, but I felt that the Egyptians would have to develop to beat the other teams. Cote d'Ivoire's 3 points against Morocco were undeserved at best, they played a more defensive game and relied almost entirely on counters. No possession. Morocco were very upsetting in the third half of the field throughout their tournament. Some wasted chances, but most attacks incomplete.

The best game in this group was undoubtably the North African derby.
Both teams were very patient and very secure. A real pity that the match didn't produce any goals. I wonder what the Moroccans drank before the tournament as they simply failed to score, and rightly went out with a whimper. It was apalling. For crying out loud even Libya managed a goal! It is scary. I really fear that Morocco is going in the direction of Algeria, a has been! As for the game between Egypt and Cote d'Ivoire, Egypt played really well, and without their talisman Mido as well. That kid Emad seems like a true goalpoacher. And Barakat and Abou Treika ran the midfield well. Treika is a good playmaker. Good signs for the future perhaps?

How long before an own goal from Song in this tournament? His blunders are just too bad that it is a pity Cameroon haven't really played a quality team that can expose him. I wonder if *spit* Drogba *spit* will. Outstanding performance by DR Congo in the tournament thus far, Lualua has really shown the characteristics of a leader on the pitch. Especially in the game against Angola where he ran round the pitch over and over again making sure that their man disadvantage didn't show. He was phenomenal if you ask me. He did everything a captain needs to do and inspired the whole squad. I was very dissapointed with Angola I must say. They are rather lacklustre. Even when the chips were down and they needed to score goals against a Togolese side that had 10 men, they were found wanting. Granted they got 3, but for crying out loud they needed 4 at that point, and what happened? The Togolese were down a man, and don't know how to defend. What more do we need to indict the Angolans?

Back to Cameroon, some people say this Cameroon team is outstanding.

Outstanding?

Sorry but I haven't noticed any team greatness. They have one magnificent individual and that's about it. All their goals so far have been as a result of brilliant individual efforts, not team play. This Cameroon team can't hold a candle to the side they had 6 years ago. Not even close. Eto'o wasn't the player he developed to be today but they had other stars in their prime. I'm not saying they won't win the tournament, they might. But I'm not impressed yet. Perhaps I'm hard to please ?

Group C finally confirmed what I have been saying for a long time. South Africa has no business calling itself a football playing nation. Why did they bother turning up? Sudan would have put up a better performance than Bafana did. It was disgusting. The team that impressed me the most, and everyone I guess was Guinea. Wow! They really showed up. Tunisia is a waste. You have to go back to the game against Zambia to really understand what I am saying. They have a great tactician on the bench in Roger Lemmere and that's it. Creativity is zero. I am not taking the Guinea game into consideration in making this statement because as some would point out, they used a B side against the Guineans. But then again, the last time I checked, it was also Guinea's B side, bar the subs. The truth is just this, this Tunisian side has nothing to offer in reality. They just have good work ethics. But their undoing will be when they meet a truly creative side as they will in the World Cup.
For me there was a moment of choked up emotions (and reflections back to the golden age of football) when Elijah Tana scored for Zambia against Guinea. The goal was a carbon copy of the one he scored against Nigeria in Tunisia 12 years ago!

Group D was justifiably labelled the proverbial Group of Death when the African Nations Cup draw was made and today, it all came to a climax.

Nigeria qualified with a 100% record and in the process avenged that loss to Senegal 4 years ago. Isn't it funny to note that Nigeria and Senegal have met 4 times in Nations Cup history (1992, 2000, 2002 and 2006) and all 4 meetings have ended 2-1?
Nigeria may have won thrice but we have not been wholly convincing. We need to work on that left and tell the bleeding defenders that we are playing football, not catch!

However, I am ecstatic about today's game for 2 reasons: Obafemi broke his duck, so trust me, there is more to come. The second reason is that we conceded a goal. You might ask why I am happy that we conceded? For a simple reason: I used to be a defender, and I can tell you that had we kept a clean sheet until the semi-finals say, our false-confidence would have been shattered big time when we finally let in one and we'd go on to loose the match. For those of you who doubt me, remember in 2002 we didn't concede a goal until the semis and we lost there. Italy didn't concede a goal until the semis of Italia 90 and what happened? It is better for us to have conceded in the group stage and know that we are not invincible than to have Eto'o disvirgin our net in the semis and fall out then. It was also nice to see Mikel caged, so things won't start getting into his head. But over and above, I was happy that though we started badly (what was Cerezo thinking by having us play defensive at first), we cranked up the game after they scored and showed them that we are a better team.
Is there any need to waste my time talking about Ghana? Diouf got it all correct when he labelled them a bad team. Pity.

The African contingent going to Germany this summer won't be good for Africa...Angola aren't good enough to compete with Iran, Mexico, or Portugal, and the Togolese team is already split and this rift between Keshi and Adebayor could extend to Germany of the bad blood continues.

This African Cup of Nations should provide a clear picture for the audience and other coaches involved in the World Cup regarding the calibre of certain African teams whom they will compete with. Sadly, I think only Tunisia can compete out of the bunch this time around, not that they'll get past the first round.
Re: African Cup Of Nations 2006: End Of Round 1 by Nobody: 12:22am On Feb 01, 2006
Great commentary for the entire group matches.

Nigeria have huffed and puffed their way to three straight victories, however any quality coach can easily clip their wings simply by marking Kanu, Martins and Obi/Okocha out of the game and putting fast players on the wings. If Trabelsi is playing on the wings on Saturday, Nigeria may be in for her last game of the tournament.

Tunisia have 3 things going for them:
1. a great coach in roger lemmere
2. two solid players in santos and trabelsi
3. thet've been together as a team for over 2 yrs same coach!

Ghana are a hopeless side and got a false sense of superiority when they beat an equally unconvincing Senegal team. Minus Stephen Appiah, all the other players are a bunch of mediocres.

South Africa is not and HAS NEVER BEEN a football playing nation. Thanks to their media, we are always being insulted by the categorising of Benni Mcarthy in the league of Africa's best. He just isn't! Let someone tell those south africans!

Who is Emmanuel Adebayor? After one season on the bench with Arsenal, he should have been brought down to earth that he is not a great striker after all. He should ask the likes of Joseph Desiree Job.

Lomana Lua Lua? Simply one of the best strikers and captains this competition has seen.

Samuel Eto'o? Clinical finishing with an eye for goal. Can however not be placed in the league of the likes of Nwankwo Kanu who can turn a game around just with a trick or two.

Cameroun? without Eto'o should be going home in the semi final.

Didier Drogba? Mohammed Mido? I am begining to see the most over rated players of the tournament. Drogba is clearly not in the mould of great strikers and lacks the leadership qualities of the likes of lomana lua lua.
Mido is simply a creation of the Egyptian press desperately struggling to call just any ordinary player a star more like Micheal Owen.

Senegal have some great players in the likes of Pape Bouba Diop (imagine Patrick Viera in the heart of Arsenal's defence) and Henry Camara. Diouf is simply an over rated spoilt brat!

Goodbye Angola, Togo and Ghana. You simply were lucky to have made it through to the world Cup finals on the back of some silly CAF qualifying rules and the lackadiasical attitude of the so-called big teams.
Ivory Coast have only been slightly better and Morocco and Libya were clearly guilty of playing against a bunch of names. Both countries should have won those matches on the back of their tactically superior advantage. Sadly Morocco continues the tradition of good football and no goals. For a country that did not qualify for the world cup despite having never lost a match, they need to be reminded that football is all about goals and not so much the quality of play.
Re: African Cup Of Nations 2006: End Of Round 1 by spikelord(m): 8:45am On Feb 01, 2006
I congratulate Martins over his two solid goals for Nigeria last night!
Re: African Cup Of Nations 2006: End Of Round 1 by luridguy(m): 9:10am On Feb 01, 2006
nigeria are still looking good we allowed a silly goal yesterday our defence needs serious work taiwo should reduce the way he goes foward odaih seems to be ok but should beware tunisa have great wingers and we need to have more surrport for mikel in the midfield they cannot play againt tunsia like they did against senegal leaving only mikel when he was been maned by that senegalise veira ..but if okocha comes in for the q finals i would have rest of mind martins is looking good

ghana a big disappiontment maybe essien would have made a difference maybe.....zimbabwe taught them a thing or two the world cup would teach them more

i am just happy cameron have a chance to play ivory coast again there is no one to help them out this time its do or die all this world cup bound teams will probally not even make it to the semifinals and it is a pitty africa will not be properly represented at this years world cup i think if the likes of cameron or nigeria or even eygpt go ahead and win this cup caf should ask themselves why the best country in africa will not be at the worldcup i still think they should go back to leting the winner have an automatic ticket to the world cup
Re: African Cup Of Nations 2006: End Of Round 1 by JosBoy4Lif(m): 11:48pm On Feb 01, 2006
Their was a time one Northern Africa dominated African Football...maybe their close proximity with Europe

But wow how the times have changed...Morroco, Libya, Egypt and Tunisia now have to struggle to get good results

Egypt beat Ivory Coast only because of the fact The ivorians played with a "b" line up...

Im sorry but i dont think Nigeria will be the victor of this tournament...

Rather i see the winner of the Cameroon/Ivory Coast match the Champions

Cameroon is too strong and the Ivorians are too talented....

But you never know, i will styll be cheering for Nigeria 100% Yessoo
Re: African Cup Of Nations 2006: End Of Round 1 by Olatunji(m): 2:42pm On Feb 02, 2006
I think this is the time for a West African team to win Nations' Cup in that more than 50% of the teams that qualified for the quater finals are West Africans Nigeria, Senegal,Guinea and Cote d'ivoire. I wish all these teams the very best in the next round so that we can put a stop to North Africa and Central Africa dominance.
Re: African Cup Of Nations 2006: End Of Round 1 by otokx(m): 5:46pm On Feb 02, 2006
except for one or two individuals who are confirming their ratings, no african team has impressed me as a team. the level of officiating is not world class, it has been africanized so much so that its now a battle of the strongest and fitness. the pitches are just there, nothing fantastic.

(1) (Reply)

CARTOON: Mikel Obi's Fate At Chelsea FC / How To Win On Virtual Football League 99% Of The Time / WATCH And DOWNLOAD FC Barcelona 1-1 Atletico Madrid Goals Highlight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.