Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,242 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

I Need Your Helps On How To Be A Writer - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Need Your Helps On How To Be A Writer (475 Views)

Have you been scammed as a writer? Share your story! / 5 Things You Need To Know Before Dating A Writer / What Has Been Your Greatest Challenge As A Writer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Your Helps On How To Be A Writer by michresakidjo(m): 6:55pm On Aug 09, 2020
I'm a young guy in my early 20s , and an undergraduate degree student. Spoken and written English have been major problems ,In fact I was badly off academically last semester due to my poor command of English....scoring as low as 32/60 in one of my courses where mastery in English is not overlooked.

Putting my thoughts together on papers

I really want to know more and improve on them.
Please
Re: I Need Your Helps On How To Be A Writer by restore8(m): 9:45pm On Aug 09, 2020
Sir I would love to give a detailed answer on this subject. But I don't have enough time on my hands. Please understand this: There's no 'perfect' writing. we only have 'effective' writing. If you have time, please search for 'Everybody writes' by Ann Hadley. It would help you on your journey. I wish you the best.
Re: I Need Your Helps On How To Be A Writer by tunjilomo(m): 11:37pm On Aug 09, 2020
The more you read, the better. Always look out for well written articles.

Try to learn from any basic English text.
Re: I Need Your Helps On How To Be A Writer by michresakidjo(m): 12:20pm On Aug 10, 2020
restore8:
Sir I would love to give a detailed answer on this subject. But I don't have enough time on my hands. Please understand this: There's no 'perfect' writing. we only have 'effective' writing. If you have time, please search for 'Everybody writes' by Ann Hadley. It would help you on your journey. I wish you the best.

I'm grateful sir
Re: I Need Your Helps On How To Be A Writer by michresakidjo(m): 12:20pm On Aug 10, 2020
tunjilomo:
The more you read, the better. Always look out for well written articles.

Try to learn from any basic English text.

Thanks in bunch sir
Re: I Need Your Helps On How To Be A Writer by damianchiemezie(m): 12:34pm On Aug 10, 2020
Your story touched me. I would help with my book even though I sell it @5k.

Drop your email.

Re: I Need Your Helps On How To Be A Writer by WhisperedNoise: 5:04pm On Aug 10, 2020
To be an effective communicator, the first practical step is to READ.
Read everything.
Read newspapers
Well written blog posts
Journals
Novels
Scientific publications

READ!
READ!
READ!

To learn how to write, read other writers.

Download books abd read.
Read with persistence and diligence. Take it one word at a time, one paragraph at a time, one page at a time.

Gradually, reading will be less of a burden and more of a world. You'll start enjoying the books; your brain will start automatic word associations; you'll start noticing the synergy between words.

Your "aha" moments will be more frequent as you pore over texts of venerable writers. If you're into fiction, you'll approach a book like you approach a chess board - ready to see the knights and pawns move in sequence. You'll notice how flawlessly a plot morphs into another.

To be a good speaker, LISTEN!
Listen to podcasts. I recommend one TED talk daily. Don't just hear it; listen to it. Study the talk as you'd study for an exam. Listen for pitch, intonation, pauses and word associations.

Finally, be ready to invest.
Buy books (or download 'em)
Spend your data on what you're chasing
Don't be afraid to talk to yourself and talk to others.
Don't be afraid to fail. Yes, you made a grammatical blunder. Let people laugh at you. You're on the path to progress.
Invest your time into thinking quality thoughts.

Finally, I leave you with the words of Albert Einstein, "Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds".

Godspeed brother.
I wish you well.
Re: I Need Your Helps On How To Be A Writer by michresakidjo(m): 11:55am On Aug 11, 2020
WhisperedNoise:
To be an effective communicator, the first practical step is to READ.
Read everything.
Read newspapers
Well written blog posts
Journals
Novels
Scientific publications

READ!
READ!
READ!

To learn how to write, read other writers.

Download books abd read.
Read with persistence and diligence. Take it one word at a time, one paragraph at a time, one page at a time.

Gradually, reading will be less of a burden and more of a world. You'll start enjoying the books; your brain will start automatic word associations; you'll start noticing the synergy between words.

Your "aha" moments will be more frequent as you pore over texts of venerable writers. If you're into fiction, you'll approach a book like you approach a chess board - ready to see the knights and pawns move in sequence. You'll notice how flawlessly a plot morphs into another.

To be a good speaker, LISTEN!
Listen to podcasts. I recommend one TED talk daily. Don't just hear it; listen to it. Study the talk as you'd study for an exam. Listen for pitch, intonation, pauses and word associations.

Finally, be ready to invest.
Buy books (or download 'em)
Spend your data on what you're chasing
Don't be afraid to talk to yourself and talk to others.
Don't be afraid to fail. Yes, you made a grammatical blunder. Let people laugh at you. You're on the path to progress.
Invest your time into thinking quality thoughts.

Finally, I leave you with the words of Albert Einstein, "Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds".

Godspeed brother.
I wish you well.

Noted sir, thanks.

I'll do as advised

Grateful

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Helps On How To Be A Writer by michresakidjo(m): 12:00pm On Aug 11, 2020
damianchiemezie:
Your story touched me. I would help with my book even though I sell it @5k.

Drop your email.

Haaa!!!! shocked sad

Adewumiemmanuelsage3@gmail.com
bro Damian I appreciate your generosity

May God bless you
May your life never dry as desert

I'm grateful sir

(1) (Reply)

The Greatest Heartbreak 6 / What Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Pictures, Quotes And Recommendations / Encomiums As ANA Abuja Honours Mamman Vatsa At 81st Posthumous Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.