Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Most Sought After Job In Canada; Forklift Operator! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Most Sought After Job In Canada; Forklift Operator! (3842 Views)

Professional Forklift Operator / Car Operator Returns N888,000, Passport To Passenger At Lagos Airport / 7 Most Sought-after Skills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Sought After Job In Canada; Forklift Operator! by kvngceci: 11:31am On Aug 12, 2020
Where Do Forklift Operators Work?

If you are now making a decision if you want to pursue a career as a forklift driver and you’re maybe asking where do forklift operators work?

You may find yourself working in many different workplaces – constructions sites, ports, warehouses, storage yards and factories.

You could be assigned to different workplace conditions and extreme temperatures. Depending on the kind of materials you will be moving.

Working as a forklift operator is an 8-hour shift. But in the warehouses where customers come and go and are around, work shifts can be round the clock.

If you think being a forklift operator is easy then you’re wrong. The task is repetitive and physically demanding. Not all tasks can be done by the forklift, in some situation you may need to lift pallets, carry heavy tools and do the goods inventory.

Getting the Require Certification to Become a Forklift Operator

Operating this truck is considered hazardous. Considering the weight and size of the forklift, accidents do happen when operated by someone who is not capable. Therefore before you can get a job as a forklift operator you need to be certified first.

Before you can get certified, there are some basic requirements that you need to comply with.

First, the age is important – you cannot be a forklift operator if you are below 18 years old. Hiring managers are picky about the job candidate’s age, you won’t be able to get a job unless you’re 18 years or older. The second basic requirement is you need to have at least an O' level result as a proof of basic education. Third, just I’ve mentioned already, this job is physically demanding, therefore, you need to be in good health.

You can then take formal training in the vocational and technical school or college that offers forklift certification training like Equilog Training Institute.

Once you are enrolled, you will go through the classroom training that takes up about 5 hours to complete. After that, you will have the opportunity to operate the forklift hands-on during the practical training.

At the end of the training course, the instructor will then facilitate a written exam and practical test to verify your competency. If all goes well and you’ve succeeded passing both tests, the instructor will issue you a certificate of training completion and/or operator card.
Congratulations, you are now forklift certified.

Career Paths of the Profession

In the beginning, you may need to find a job as a warehouse assistant or an intern. Doing so will give you the opportunity to gain the experience to climb up the career ladder.

You can take other pieces of training related to your job. Those are added credentials for career advancement. The experience you’ve attained through the years and the training you’ve achieved during your employment is a great recipe for a job promotion. You could be a team leader or a warehouse supervisor.

If you’ve been working for the company and you’ve been promoted several times, you could be appointed as manager.

Professionalism and dedication towards your work are the key elements to progress in any field. You just have to express those two credentials and you could find yourself on the brink of advancement

If you have the passion to become an operating engineer, you can take a heavy equipment training course. Forklift operators eventually become equipment operator which has better pay.

Advancing in Your Job

You can receive a lot of tips and suggestion in advancing your career in this field. The goal is to pick that are applicable to you, do take action and begin the first step.

You can set goals you want to target in the next coming decades. Take time think where you want to bring your career. You may be vying for a new position in your company or you may want to leave your present company and venture out to find a better opportunity.

Go take different professional development training. Be strategic about the career you want to follow in your chosen field. Doing so will able you to decide the training you want to take that is applicable to your chosen profession.

Advancing career is a never-ending undertaking. What’s important is you’re mobile and keep up with the challenge to the ever-changing landscape.

The Bottom Line on This

If you are just starting your career and don’t have yet sufficient knowledge about this job, the ones that could help are your colleagues. Those friends of yours who are forklift operators can definitely give you a boost in deciding if this job is the one you want to do.

Ask them the same question – where do they work as forklift operators. They may give you an additional insight on how to succeed in this job.

They could even refer you to an employer for possible employment.

Go talk to your colleagues or to a counselor if this career path is the one you want to take.

Good luck and have a good career in the next coming years!

#think skill, think equilog.

Visit us @ Royal Cedar Plaza, KM 25 Lekki Epe Expressway Opposite Fidelity Bank, Ajiwe Ajah Lagos or Hub 30 Co-working space 41 Road, G close, No 3 Festac Town, Amuwo Odofin, Lagos.

1 Share

Re: Most Sought After Job In Canada; Forklift Operator! by NoApology(m): 12:11pm On Aug 12, 2020
You guys need to open in onitsha asap
Re: Most Sought After Job In Canada; Forklift Operator! by kvngceci: 12:34pm On Aug 12, 2020
NoApology:
You guys need to open in onitsha asap

We are currently in Port Harcourt, Benin city and Lagos.
Re: Most Sought After Job In Canada; Forklift Operator! by Obayi109: 10:19am On May 26, 2021
Thank for this information, Please i want to ask a question. How many month will it take to learning a forklift operator as a beginner.
Re: Most Sought After Job In Canada; Forklift Operator! by Obayi109: 10:21am On May 26, 2021
I'm in port Harcourt can you link me to any place where i can learning forklift operator
Re: Most Sought After Job In Canada; Forklift Operator! by NoApology(m): 6:19pm On Jun 09, 2021
kvngceci:

We are currently in Port Harcourt, Benin city and Lagos.

When is your first training in year 2022? Wanna enroll my brother.
Re: Most Sought After Job In Canada; Forklift Operator! by jessatso: 11:42pm On Sep 01, 2022
Thanks for sharing this information. Even I didn't know all these details some time ago until I became a forklift driver. I was wondering the same thing, but everything has become clearer since I started working in this field. Well, this is a very interesting and profitable profession. I started being a delivery driver when I moved to the UK and contacted Forklifts Hire in the UK. For the first time, we rented forklifts and worked, but now I bought my forklift, and I work with it. I recommend that you consider this job.

1 Like

Re: Most Sought After Job In Canada; Forklift Operator! by siant: 9:50pm On Sep 02, 2022
YOUR TRAINING FEE IS TOO COST JOR. STARTING FROM 200K FOR 2 MONTHS TRAINING

(1) (Reply)

Attitude To Work: Love What You Do / Nigerian Custom Service Salary Structure / Teaching Job Interview Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.