Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? (4809 Views)

All Countries Scholarship ,Tuition Free,Embassy Issues In All Countries / Do You Have Traffic Issues&bad Roads Bothering You In Your Area? / Visting Lagos - What You Would Advise Me To See (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by miky(m): 7:38pm On Jun 21, 2007
if i were governor i would try hiking prices of rates to live in lagos, this would give incentives for people to go to other cities. use that money, provide a more reliable transportation system.expand the city, and start planing.
Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by yemmydavid(m): 8:16pm On Jun 21, 2007
well d trfik problem in lagos is somtin i dont even want to talk about.imagin trafik into d island in d morning @ about 7am and d same tin around 5pm.
i once stayed in trafik between eko hotel and bonny camp (both in VI) from 5pm till around 8pm A TRIP OF ABOUT 5 MINS

the metro scheme would be a lovely one but lagos is so conjested that for it to work,we would av to demolish so many houses.
or wat do u tink?>
Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by DisGuy: 8:44pm On Jun 21, 2007
what can be done?

provide 1000 mass transit bus and 500 ferries
No more government vehicle convoy, politicians should have max two cars
CHARGE EVERYONE N500/mile grin
Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by oIo(m): 11:14pm On Jun 21, 2007
Dis Guy:

what can be done?

provide 1000 mass transit bus and 500 ferries
No more government vehicle convoy, politicians should have max two cars
CHARGE EVERYONE N500/mile grin
Nice joke, but do you know the funny thing? Lagosians will afford to pay that and how will the government enforce this?,some sort of techie meter in each cars?
In lagos of today, having a car is something of status/class, and they won't give that up easily.
Na wa o.
I strongly believe we can profer a workable solution in this thread - right here on Nairaland!!
Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by DisGuy: 11:24pm On Jun 21, 2007
are you saying that is not workable?

fix every car with some sort of tracker and have monitoring devices around Lagos state. no tracker you car gets crushed or seized
this will get rid of the status/class mentality esp when you have to fork out N20,000 for every to and fro
This will half the number of private vehicles on Lagos road generate massive revenue for building at least 6 bridges and proper roads within Lagos.

a bit draconian but Lagos needs a major surgery as it is
Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by oIo(m): 11:32pm On Jun 21, 2007
Dis Guy:

are you saying that is not workable?

fix every car with some sort of tracker and have monitoring devices around Lagos state. no tracker you car gets crushed or seized
@Dis Guy,
Dont get me wrong, I din't say it is not workable. Anything is possible. Especially with the tracker and monitoring device you just explained. i think RFIDs can do this if i'm right
Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by busygirl(f): 6:15am On Jun 22, 2007
This is one of the reasons I can't live in Lagos. . .I guess lagosians are used to it.
But to think of it Lagos is Tapping. . .That's why most people wouldn't leave.
Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by bamdil(m): 9:52pm On Jun 23, 2007
I wont discourage the use of Lagbus, it is also done in London, what the government need to do is to purchase more buses and at the same time make stops on each 4minutes drive.  It shouldn't be that a bus will move from 7up straight to Obalende, that is absurd, I think what should be done is to give buses different routes and they should number them take for instance bus 177 should be taking the route of Ikeja to Maryland, and bus 202 from Ojota to Ogba and so on.
Apart from this, the government need to ask ever owners of a car to be doing MOT every 3months, MOT is meant for checking the cars that are still okay to be used on our road, the ones that are not good should be taken away and sold to manufacturer who will repair it and the owner will be able to pay instalmentally.
Moreover the government should quickly implement the use of Railway, they need to give contract on constructing both underground and overhead railway lines. This will equally reduce the rate of traffic in this congested area.
Without a good plan, I am assuring you that Lagos will be worse than the unnoticeable state in America.
Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by Olufidu(m): 4:55pm On Jun 27, 2007
1. ) Re-construct our roads. Let us have good network of road. We can always copy the developed nation where they have achieved a reasonable level of traffick control. For example, we can have more major roads like ikorodu roads & Agege Motor road and let them be parallel and perpendicular to one another. Then install traffick lights at the intersections.
2.) Let government provide buses (luxurious) not "danfo" to shuttle this major roads
3.) Revive our dead railway service and expand its coverage.
4.) Extend railway service to neat-by towns like Ibadan, Epe, Ijebu, etc. (I love to live in Ibadan and won't mind working at Lagos provided there is good transport system)
4.) Set up addidtional mode of transportation like subway
5.)come up with alternate routes to Island from Ikoyi and mail land in order to resolve bottle neck @ Falomo bridge.

Just my 2k.  cool
Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by nguage(m): 4:58pm On Jun 27, 2007
we need a subway system, good roads, traffic lights ( good ones ), and so on
Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by papabaks(m): 5:20pm On Jun 28, 2007
Hello guyz, I think we should give qudos to LAMATA(Lagos State Metropolitant Area Transport Authourity) who have stand up for the traffic task in lagos, and for the past few month that they've emback on this task, they have really prove it to the public that they can deliver a very good job.

And i think we should just wait and see what they will come out with at the end of the whole Job.

Think LAMATA think Tranport in LAGOS CITY.

EKO O NI BAJE OOO!!!

papa grin
Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by seun001(m): 7:29pm On Jul 06, 2007
if i were governor i would try hiking prices of rates to live in lagos, this would give incentives for people to go to other cities. use that money, provide a more reliable transportation system.expand the city, and start planing.

very funny some suggestions u get to hear on this site.lol;
dnt u think lagos will now be exclusively for the rich.some people will pay a fortune to stay in lagos,and therefore some people will work for this people that are in lagos.back to the topic;
somebody was even saying lamata has tried,wot did they do hmm!
digging up roads that were never enuf in the first place cannot be a solution.people now avoid ikorodu road like a plague cos of the hold-ups u are sure to encounter there,hw can u dig up a road that is not ok,i felt like crying for road users in lagos,all in the name of brt.the number of accidents this digging has caused should be left unsaid(eni kon lo mo).
people are suggesting taxing the people that use the road as if we dont pay multiple taxes in the first place.
we have abundant oil revenues in this country that if we start building bridges in every state for the next couple of year,there will be no drain on our resources.
the helplessness of this is that in this same holdup,u get robbed,i know people that have been robbed at least 4 times.a friend of mine had to fly out of the country to treat his gunshot wounds that he sustained.
we should declare a state of emergency with respect to our roads.then find solutions to the problem.
Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by mishoo(m): 7:48pm On Jul 06, 2007
@seun 001, sorry to disappoint you, but that would bring the number of Area boys to the multiple of 5. Believe me as there would be more homeless people nad they will take to drugs more.
Find a better solution. I believe one exists.
Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by seun001(m): 7:24am On Jul 09, 2007
have oyu noticed that theres no road that is smooth for 25metres in lagos,thats my reasoning when i said a state of emergency should be declared.
area boys can be taken care of easily cos once govt is against it,theres no way they will survive.bt the lagos govt condones them,the main reason that the are powerful.
Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by papabaks(m): 12:39pm On Aug 04, 2007
Are we talking about AREA boys or TRAFFIC on Lagos roads including the state of the roads?

papa.
Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by ktmadu(m): 2:32am On Sep 16, 2007
Talkin bout traffic in lag undecided, kinda hard. There's as much stress on the pedestrian as well as the driver - much less on the passengers. The roads are terrible, the road marshalls are something else. Sometimes they really do help with the traffic - both many a time, they r just out there 4 their own selfish interests, exploiting the common man with their very cheap uniform.
Lagos na hot cake. Anyone in lagos must be prepared 4 the toughest of locomotion. The other day I went late for an appointment in VI from festac after leavin bout 2hours 30mins earlier. angry
My conclusion: Lagos na jungle, only animals fit dey this kind mad place dey happy.
Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by sanyaele(m): 4:31pm On Mar 26, 2009
Victoria Island on Oyin Jolayemi Street, last updated 6 min(s) 44 sec(s) ago
(Karimu Kotun Street -> Akin Adesola Street = 20% congestion) (Akin Adesola Street -> Karimu Kotun Street = 100% congestion)

Victoria Island on Sanusi Fafunwa Street, last updated 8 min(s) 42 sec(s) ago
(Akin Adesola Street -> Adetokunbo Ademola Street = 100% congestion) (Adetokunbo Ademola Street -> Akin Adesola Street = 90% congestion)

Victoria Island on Ajose Adeogun Street, last updated 54 min(s) 37 sec(s) ago
(Adetokunbo Ademola Street -> Ligali Ayorinde = 20% congestion) (Ligali Ayorinde -> Adetokunbo Ademola Street = 90% congestion)

(Source: http://www.xtraffix.com)

Please contribute so others too can benefit
Re: Traffic Issues In Lagos. What Can Be Done? by oIo(m): 12:44pm On Aug 14, 2015
Now we hear there's an app the LASG is developing to tackle traffic situation....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get Your Internationl Passport (ecowas) One Day At Immigration Office / Easiest Way To Get To Europe (must Read) / Please Help Me: Which City In Uk Life Is Easy For A New Comer And Also Job Oppor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.