Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,102 members, 7,842,182 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Example Of Overzealous 'Conservatism' - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Example Of Overzealous 'Conservatism' (581 Views)

Norway’s Example Of Oil And Gas Boom Done Right. / Example Of The So Called Expatriates Who Are Massive Failure In Their Countries. / One More Example Of Media Pro-hamas Bias (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Example Of Overzealous 'Conservatism' by JeSoul(f): 7:17pm On Feb 16, 2011
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/16/bachmann-targets-michelle-obama/ 

Bachmann targets Michelle Obama
Washington (CNN) - Rep. Michele Bachmann, a potential Republican presidential candidate, is taking issue with Michelle Obama over the first lady's recent promotion of bosom-feeding.

Speaking to conservative talk radio host Laura Ingraham Tuesday, the Minnesota Republican said Obama's efforts to promote b.reast-feeding and the IRS's announcement that nursing supplies that aide in the practice can be deducted from tax returns amounts to a "new definition [of] the nanny state."

"This is very consistent with where the hard left is coming from," Bachmann told Ingraham. "For them, government is the answer to every problem."

"I've given birth to five babies and I br.east fed every single one of these babies," she added. "To think that government has to go out and buy my br.east pump for my babies? You wanna talk about the nanny state, I think you just got a new definition."

The comments come on the heels of Obama's recent contention that bre.ast-feeding can play a key role in reducing childhood obesity.

"We also want to focus on the important touch points in a child's life. And what we're learning now is that early intervention is key. Brea.stfeeding. Kids who are bre.astfed longer have a lower tendency to be obese," Obama told a group of reporters last week, according to Politics Daily.

"Br.eastfeeding is a very personal choice for every woman," Kristina Schake, a spokeswoman for Obama, later said. "We are trying to make it easier for those who choose to do it."

It's not the first time Obama has faced ire from the right when it comes to childhood nutrition. Sarah Palin told Ingraham last fall that "the first lady cannot trust parents to make decisions for their own children, for their own families in what we should eat."

For crying out loud, what is wrong with Michelle Obama simply encouraging mothers to b.reast feed their infants?   I understand the IRS choosing to allow breat-feeding costs to be deducted can be seen as intruding into areas that should be govt-free and could be a slippery slope but still . . .

What Michelle Obama is promoting is a good thing, including her entire campaign against child obesity which is out of control in America. Conservatives should learn to applaud good moves and not always scream "govt-takeover" at everything, especially if its a positive move that is being championed by the 'left'.

(1) (Reply)

Iran Warns Libyans Of West's "colonial" Intentions / Foreign Affairs / Libya: Gaddafi 'increasingly Worried' He Will Be Killed By Nato

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.