Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,728 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:50 PM

1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) (4348 Views)

Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago / Flood Sweeps Away Two Teenagers In Delta / My Sister To Be Deported Back To Nigeria On Arrival In Israel This Morning (2) (3) (4)

1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by Explorers(m): 8:05am On Aug 25, 2020
Hoard of 425 24-carats gold coins was stowed in a clay jar, its lid secured with a nail, and stashed in the sands of what is now central Israel.

It then sat undisturbed for more than 1,100 years, until last week, when two 18-year-olds taking part in an archaeological excavation by a hillside in Yavneh noticed something unusual.

“I dug in the ground and, when I excavated the soil, saw what looked like very thin leaves,” said Oz Cohen, one of the teenagers.

“When I looked again, I saw these were gold coins.

It was really exciting to find such a special and ancient treasure.”

The teenagers were volunteers in a vast project linked to the construction of a community in Yavneh, south of Tel Aviv.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/08/24/world/middleeast/israel-gold-coins-archaeology.amp.html

Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by Explorers(m): 8:05am On Aug 25, 2020
The coins date back to the late 9th century, at the height of the Abbasid Caliphate that once controlled the lion's share of the Near East and North Africa, explained Antiquities Authority numismatist Robert Kool.

At the time they were stashed, the coins would have been worth a significant amount of money, explained Antiquities Authority numismatist Robert Kool.

'For example, with such a sum, a person could buy a luxurious house in one of the best neighbourhoods in Fustat, the enormous wealthy capital of Egypt,' he added.

Pictured, Israeli archaeologist Shahar Krispin counts some of the gold coins.

Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by Explorers(m): 8:05am On Aug 25, 2020
Israel Antiquities Authority, said the find was a “rare treasure” that could help archaeologists gain a deeper understanding of what was happening in the region at the time.

'The person who buried this treasure 1,100 years ago must have expected to retrieve it and even secured the vessel with a nail so that it would not move,' said excavation director Liat Nadav-Ziv.

'We can only guess what prevented him from returning to collect this treasure.'

The treasure trove was hidden by its mysterious owner in an area that, during the Abbasid period, is understood to have been populated by workshops.

The era in which the unearthed coins were used is one of the least understood in the area’s history.

The excavation site near Tel Aviv.

Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by Queenlovely(f): 8:08am On Aug 25, 2020
boss@whitetiger-technologydrivers.com

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by Kingdemi212019: 8:08am On Aug 25, 2020
Don long when human dey save money ,

Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by chelseamann(m): 8:11am On Aug 25, 2020
Wonderful
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by illicit(m): 8:11am On Aug 25, 2020
Wow
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by oomphh: 8:12am On Aug 25, 2020
Vanity.

Judas's funds

Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by LawLab247: 8:12am On Aug 25, 2020
Wow
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by Maneq: 8:12am On Aug 25, 2020
oomphh:
Vanity.

Judas's funds
Na back of bible you dey read.

Judas was paid silver

24 Likes

Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by Nbotee(m): 8:13am On Aug 25, 2020
Explorers on the beat.. Make I book seat
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by Nbotee(m): 8:14am On Aug 25, 2020
oomphh:
Vanity.

Judas's funds

Whixh Judas U dey talk abi U jus want comment anything wey com ur head?
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by horlah005: 8:15am On Aug 25, 2020
Explorer explore the explored word
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by MJBOLT: 8:21am On Aug 25, 2020
what's the value of the gold coins?
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by Goldencheese(m): 8:29am On Aug 25, 2020
This is very interesting.
Thanks OP for sharing it.
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by Explorers(m): 8:37am On Aug 25, 2020
MJBOLT:
what's the value of the gold coins?

According to the source, the weight is around 1kg.

But items like this worth million of USD or GPB because of the stories behind them.

Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by Lotusflowerbomb: 8:42am On Aug 25, 2020
Why can't I ever find these kind of things in Nigeria? I don dig my backyard tire, no treasure or anything of importance to sell angry angry

Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by Nmezor(f): 9:01am On Aug 25, 2020
How interesting
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by oneolajire(m): 9:14am On Aug 25, 2020
someone saved so much for us in Nigeria. Since he died in1998, we have been unearthing his golden coins from Switzerland, US and other foreign nations

Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by Nobody: 9:35am On Aug 25, 2020
In 1000years to come, Nairaland moderators would be gone and forgotten. You people need to stop acting like gods. Nonsense and moderators

Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by donjazet(m): 9:45am On Aug 25, 2020
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by sotall(m): 9:46am On Aug 25, 2020
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by iamyemiakins(m): 10:42am On Aug 25, 2020
Owó ree
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by Geestarry(f): 10:48am On Aug 25, 2020
Wow!

While you're here, my signature may just be the answer you need.
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by oyatz(m): 11:00am On Aug 25, 2020
Lotusflowerbomb:
Why can't I ever find these kind of things in Nigeria? I don dig my backyard tire, no treasure or anything of importance to sell angry angry

Relocate to Nok, Ile-Ife, Ijebu-Ode, Benin, Katsina, Ijero-Ekiti or Close to Lake Chad and start ARCHEOLOGICAL EXCAVATION, you will discover some many ancient artifacts.

Nigeria is yet to be fully explored.

My brother-in-law who is a Professor of Archeology led a team of Archeologist to unearth a site outskirt of Iresi Town in Osun State and they discovered what looked like a family compound of people who lived centuries ago.

Their remains dated to about 5000 years ago.

Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by sacajawea: 12:25pm On Aug 25, 2020
Ọmọ
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by GreaterFuture1(m): 12:27pm On Aug 25, 2020
Wawu!

Two 2 yr old Facebook accounts for sale, real accounts. pls price is 5k last, that is what the seller wants

Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by GreaterFuture1(m): 12:32pm On Aug 25, 2020
Explorers:

According to the source, the weight is around 1kg.

But items like this worth million of USD or GPB because of the stories behind them.
Who will the money go to? The teenagers that found them?
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by AmnotMe: 12:39pm On Aug 25, 2020
with the way i am positioned; there is no way am
goin to be able to afford an android phone. Am earning o, but not enough. Its just to put
food on the table.
Am Currently using nokie5 symbian phone, one
kind man gifted me that last yr after i sold my
phone to raise money for stuffs. With the trend of new smartphone looks now;
some of you will hv old android phone u r not
using cos of the outdated look and all. Brother,
sister, i will gladly accept anyone u throw at me as
long it can do whatsapp. and i will go on to say a
heart deep prayer for you(i know u r blessed already) just to appreciate. Yes; am begging i know.
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by RenaissanceGuy: 1:09pm On Aug 25, 2020
anastasius:
In 1000years to come, Nairaland moderators would be gone and forgotten. You people need to stop acting like gods. Nonsense and moderators
You'll still be alive by then, right?
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by bankulizer: 3:28pm On Aug 25, 2020
Fortunate Find. Are sure it's not Judas that kept it there grin
Re: 1,100 Years Old Piggy Bank With Gold Coins Unearthed By Teenagers In Israel(Pic) by luminouz(m): 4:29pm On Aug 25, 2020

The Abuja No One Wants You To See (pics, Video) / How Well Do Africans And Black Americans Get On? / Top 15hotels In Nsukka That Are Close To The University Of Nigeria Nsukka, Enugu