Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,417 members, 7,826,605 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase - TV/Movies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase (47776 Views)

Dstv, Gotv Customers To Experience Downtime For 3days Due To Lagos-calabar Road / Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase / Multichoice, DSTV/GOTV To Shut Down June 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by ronyman(m): 9:52am On Aug 27, 2020
This is not the solution,ensure a level playing ground for new visual content providers and watch. They stifled TSTV if not who would be talking of DSTV. Meanwhile startimes is doing well...
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by einsteine(m): 9:53am On Aug 27, 2020
SirMichael1:
Lol. Both don't mean the same thing?

Nope.

Pay Per View is what Cable TV do and it is charged on specific programs. For example, you could be charged 500 naira to watch the final of the champions league. Or 2000 to watch BBN eviction/live shows on Sundays.

Nigerians are asking for a type of billing that would bill them only for the hours their TVs are on, no serious Global cable TV company does that. Startimes only did that in Nigeria as a temporary measure to get market share from DSTV but anybody that actually develops content and pays actual prices for content would make massive losses with such a model.

It's like saying a gym should not charge monthly but should only charge when people come to the gym. They would make losses with such a model. Either that, or they would overcharge for the daily/hourly plan.
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by lekky2017: 9:56am On Aug 27, 2020
It is intriguing that this government is bent on ruining the operations of DStv in Nigeria. If not, why this obsession about the price(s) a private organisation that is tax compliant and employing many Nigerians charges for its services?

This is a government that has fallen short in meeting the basic needs of its citizenry. Do we enjoy the value of what we pay for electricity? Yet the government is not concerned about that. What about the pump price of fuel? We are buying at N150 per litre, yet the government is not too bothered. The Nigerian currency has lost value almost to the extent that the CFA is appreciating against our Naira, the government is still not bothered. What about VAT? The 100% increment in fares of train services on the Abuja-Kaduna route?

The government should be more concerned about the basic needs of Nigerians rather than poking its eyes into other matters. I keep saying this, if DStv is squeezed out of Nigeria, what will happen to the Nigerians working there. For them to join the increasing labour market?

Nigerian government, biko let DStv alone!!

1 Like

Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by ACE1010: 10:07am On Aug 27, 2020
MajesticKris:
This is unacceptable...

I rest my case...

I guess you're the brain behind the hike undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by arsenal33: 10:09am On Aug 27, 2020
mayklef:
even wit dat, ordinary champions league match dem no go show....nobody takes Nigeria/Nigerians too serious again, all thanks 2 this mistake of a Government
take yourself serious. Set up a rival broadcaster and stop blaming govt
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by ACE1010: 10:10am On Aug 27, 2020
MrRhymes101:
Where is TSTV self??

DStv has killed TSTV long ago lipsrsealed undecided
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by kemji47(m): 10:10am On Aug 27, 2020
Jesse25:
dstv are blood suckers ....thank you fg we need pay as you go ....
Where was that energy when FG increased taxes, hiked fuel price and increased electricity tarrif?
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by Bobbynobobby: 10:10am On Aug 27, 2020
Please who's going to ask FG too to suspend fuel price increase
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by Nobody: 10:14am On Aug 27, 2020
If that is the case, we should then just pay. Its not the Federal Government will give DSTV a tax holiday or discount on licensing fees just to keep it at a price. They shouof provide the enabling environment infrastructure wise and also ease of doing business by eliminating the current multiple tax regimes. Competitors will come in and force the prices down in the long term.

For now we pay what they ask.

einsteine:

Pay per View is way more expensive than monthly subscription.

Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by jornwhite: 10:16am On Aug 27, 2020
Princedapace:

Actually, it is a business and one has right to stop using their services. It actually cost a lot to run business in Nigeria with poor electricity, security and transportation system.
It is not a govt institution, it is a private business and the best one can do is not to use their service.

That why i said the 1st increase was quiet understandable. been private does not exempt any firm from price regulation & consumer protection. just that we don't have a working & efficiency.
If you must know multi choice highest profit is from nigeria, same as shoprite. chinese, lebanese & indians love nigeria market so much cos of the full blown exploitation. they make money here even more than in there countries.
I am still very much angry with nigerians & govt for supporting TSTv. monopoly dey cause nonsense
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by bigtt76(f): 10:28am On Aug 27, 2020
Did the government consult with the people before devaluing the Naira? angry

bolaayenimo:
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

https://www.independent.ng/fg-asks-multichoice-to-suspend-price-increase/

1 Like

Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by kemji47(m): 10:28am On Aug 27, 2020
A satellite TV service is no public utility, which Nigerians believe they should not pay for. Even those utilities, these days, attract outrageous sums for which we derive no value. Why is the government interfering. Do they now suddenly care for the citizens their policies have impoverished?

This is a ridiculous attempt by the government to deflect attention from their failure in managing the country.
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by BigSteph(m): 10:30am On Aug 27, 2020
bolaayenimo:
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

But this same government has increased fuel price, increased VAT and are now talking of increasing electricity tariff and they are here talking about dstv sub. After easing lockdown, which we all know has wrecked this economy and rendered many jobless, the government increased passenger service charge for air travellers by 100%.

They suggested palliatives in form of suspended electricity bills for us during the lockdown, we both know the result. So what are they talking about?

They are just looking for means as usual to appear like they care about us. If they truly did, it is not tv they will be tackling. How about tackling unemployment? How about insecurity? They ignore all these and face tv people who are struggling to keep their business afloat in a business environment that is working against them.

NBC's harassment through its new code is discussion for another day.

A government that wants to regulate charges of private businesses is one that provides an enabling environment for it to thrive. Then we can query incessant upward review of prices. Until then, the government should face bigger issues like school reopening! Our kids don dey forget ABC!
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by FunmilolaO: 10:39am On Aug 27, 2020
LOL Federal government that recently increased VAT from 5% to 7.5%, increased electricity tariff, increased petrol price now wants to tell private businesses not to adjust their prices. Only the government is allowed to keep raising charges while other businesses suffer.

1 Like

Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by santakris(m): 10:51am On Aug 27, 2020
Jhayeahsam01:
las las i go dash out my gotv in exchange with star times
Startime has increased its own too.
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by mayklef(m): 10:52am On Aug 27, 2020
arsenal33:
take yourself serious. Set up a rival broadcaster and stop blaming govt
and wu will bankroll the project....ur father i guess
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by mayklef(m): 10:53am On Aug 27, 2020
bewla:
Na today Nigeria done spoil tey
e don till
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by mayklef(m): 10:54am On Aug 27, 2020
showafrica:

How can a Government of a nation like Nigeria be begging a private company to reduce the price of her goods? This spirit of dependence is too much, we depend on foreign people for everything. This country will only get worst.. Tufiakwa. If I be.dstv.i.go even make it 30k premium. Nigeria no get choice.
finally, someone with a perfect perspective
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by beeodun24: 10:59am On Aug 27, 2020
I’m here trying to understand if the FG that asked MultiChoice ( a private owned business)to suspend price increase due to the current pandemic, is also the same one that has raised VAT, approved increment in electricity tariffs, approved 100% increment in train fares on the Abuja-Kaduna route, approved FAAN hike in Passenger Service Charge by 100 % and 300%hike in yearly toll at the MMIA toll gate.

Lol...They must think we are a joke to them.

I honestly think the FG is just trying to take attention away from its failure in managing the country.

1 Like

Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by lookingfly: 11:01am On Aug 27, 2020
make i just go buy strong hd decorder connect to mbc and joy tv in peace. afterall i no de get time watch the dstv sef if no be weekend.
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by nairavsdollars(f): 11:10am On Aug 27, 2020
And removing N50 stamp duty on every transactions savings account

beeodun24:
I’m here trying to understand if the FG that asked MultiChoice ( a private owned business)to suspend price increase due to the current pandemic, is also the same one that has raised VAT, approved increment in electricity tariffs, approved 100% increment in train fares on the Abuja-Kaduna route, approved FAAN hike in Passenger Service Charge by 100 % and 300%hike in yearly toll at the MMIA toll gate.

Lol...They must think we are a joke to them.

I honestly think the FG is just trying to take attention away from its failure in managing the country.

Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by ntgaep: 11:42am On Aug 27, 2020
bolaayenimo:
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

Well, the competitors to MultiChoice in the Nigerian market, StarTimes, has also increased its tariffs. The FG must, therefore, summon StarTimes, who increased prices first, before talking about MultiChoice.

Furthermore, it is ironic that the same FG that is asking MultiChoice to suspend their tariff increase approved 100 per cent increment in train fares on the Abuja-Kaduna route and sanctioned FAAN hike in Passenger Service Charge by 100 per cent all within this same period of COVID-19, which it claims is hard for Nigerians economically. If government agencies can increase their tariffs during a critical period under the guise of financial challenges, are private firms excused from experiencing such hiccups during this same period?
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by meobizy(f): 11:47am On Aug 27, 2020
Lol. Those who have no idea of DStv or how it works will still type comments. This Nairaland dey lead to see finish last last. These criminals in agbada don’t care for the masses. Na their own belle them dey hustle for.

This is my 15K comment milestone. I know I didn’t waste my opinion.
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by Damilasco: 11:49am On Aug 27, 2020
The Federal Goverment is asking private businesses to not increase thier prices, and then this same federal goverment goes ahead to increase prices in various sectors. They increased VAT, approved increment in electricity tariffs, 100% increment in train fares on the Abuja-Kaduna route, approved FAAN hike in Passenger Service Charge by 100 % and 300%hike in yearly toll at the MMIA toll gate, , increased price of fuel and watched as commodity prices sky rocket. The Nigerian economy isn't making businesses easy and these organisations have to survive. Government has done absolutely nothing to make it easier for businesses to operate but they go about frustrating private busineeses the more. The FG really has no clue what its responsibilities are.
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 11:51am On Aug 27, 2020
Am I the only one that hate any south Africa business
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by Tsufyaan: 12:03pm On Aug 27, 2020
Dstv mtcheeew have long ported to Canal + Nigeria and they showed all matches including those ones not available on Dstv like Europa etc. Canal is a bae!
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by Miracle1991: 12:04pm On Aug 27, 2020
You will not see them reduce price if the value of naira increase but they will rush to increase price if naira is devalued.
In South Africa they are doing pay as you go tariff but here every month you must subscribe even if you didn't see light to watch it for one month. They treat us like slaves because there is no competition.
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by Itohan11: 12:11pm On Aug 27, 2020
bolaayenimo:
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

It is quite embarrassing that in an economy that is deemed to be liberal, the Federal Government has asked a private firm to suspend a planned upward review of prices.

But it is still this same government that raised VAT rate from 5% to 7.5% in the name of making more money and expanding the tax rate in 2019 when businesses were facing tough times. It is still this same FG that approved the increase in electricity rate earlier this year until the intervention of the National Assembly.

Again, it was the same FG that sanctioned 100% increment in train fares on the Abuja-Kaduna route and openly approved FAAN hike in Passenger Service Charge by 100% in this same period of the COVID-19 pandemic in the name of financial difficulties and the need to improve operational efficiency.

Now, if the APC-led FG could do all these, particularly the last aforementioned point in the period of a pandemic, is it not hypocritical for it to now ask private firms like MultiChoice which are gruelling under the harsh business environment not to take decisions that will boost their business fortunes?

If the PTF on COVID-19 could brazenly say that it cannot control the price determined by road transporters and airlines since the pandemic began, why does it now want to control the price of pay-TV, which is not an essential need like transport?

Food for thought!
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by Miracle1991: 12:18pm On Aug 27, 2020
adecz:
sad

The Nigerian govt are too dumb
to understand the financial economic
dynamics at play in the DSTV tariffs saga.

Technically speaking, over the years,
DSTV hasn't really increased price that
much. What DSTV is doing, is actually
responding to the devaluation of the naira.

We must remember that it is an international
organization & its financial outlook
is on the dollar. It also pays $ for the content
it gets to air.

For example if a given viewing bouquet
is $20 & exchange rate to naira is N100,
that bouquet will cost the Nigerian
viewer N2000.

If govt now devalues naira to N150 t $, the
same bouquet will now go to N3000.

Then, naira becomes 400 to $, the same
bouquet is still $20 but the viewers have
now have to pay N8000!! In reality, it
is Nigerian govt that is causing the
increase.

You see, DSTV isn't to blame, but the
incompetent govt that is slowly destroying
every area of our national existence..

A bag of local rice costing 5k in PDP era
now costs 25k!!! shocked House committee on
agric go soon call farmers to ask them
how far!!!

Nonsense!!
Buhari have the money to subscribe for hundred years but you that is talking rubbish have nothing.
Why didn't them reduce price when the value of naira increase during the the time of your hero?
If the value of naira should increase by next week,they will not reduce Kobo but if the value of naira just decrease small they will increase the price.
Continue blaming Buhari till you get old like your father. You as a Nigerian what are you doing in order to see that the value of naira increase, most of you cannot buy made in Nigeria cars and other items but you are expecting Buhari to magically increase the value of naira.
Rubbish......
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by omomummy13: 12:25pm On Aug 27, 2020
The solution is simple.

Get a smart TV
Subscribe to unlimited data plan
Subscribe to Netflix and watch better and more interesting movies. You can also watch CNN and other programmes live from youtube. Aljazeera has an inbuilt app on most smart tvs alongside other apps.

Should half of DSTV subscribers in Nigeria stop renewing subscription, they will have no choice other than to reduce prices. Not like they have good contents anyway. I stopped paying months ago and have not missed them one bit.
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by SoliBayNG: 12:29pm On Aug 27, 2020
Abalado:
I will just close my account with them and swap to Star times,may be is time for star times to shine ,,stupid multi choice that can't show Europa, ordinary Europa o

La liga is coming next season. They have sería A and Ligue un plus Europa league. All that is left is EPL and Champions League. Streaming çan rectify that
Re: FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase by armadeo(m): 12:29pm On Aug 27, 2020
okoroemeka:
Let them increase the charges without considering how people will pay for that,I stopped using DStv since last 3 years or so and ported to my smart phone,I am predicting that in the future ,smart phones will sink satellite TV.

The problem we have is data. Once data is cheap and reliable that's the end of dstv. What you are doing now is streaming so the deviation is already there.

Amazon, netflix , etc will destroy them completely in Nigeria. If you can use 10k data unlimited thier own will finish

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Lilo: I Still Have My Boyfriend Despite Romance With Eric / Erica And Wathoni Fight Over Kiddwaya / Biography: Avala Saidat Balogun & Daughter. The Single Mother In BBNaija House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.