Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,232 members, 7,829,422 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip (1191 Views)

Who Really Owns The Benin Bronzes? / Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful / Oba Of Benin: My Visit To Strengthen The Affinity Of Our People In Rivers(video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by olawalepopoola: 11:40am On Aug 29, 2020
As a Geologist our major happiness lies in seeing and studying rocks in their natural State. With my colleagues and students we toured parts of Edo and Delta States to understand the rocks distributions in the area.
One of the places we visited that I will never forget in the course of my career was the deposit of white plastic clay of Ozanagogo. We left Benin and passed through Ogwashi-Uku to see the deposit. Something important happened when we reached this town. As a thumb rule, a Geologist must seek the consent of the owner of the land he/she wishes to explore. Therefore we had to head to the King's palace. To my utmost surprise, the King saw the name of our University 'Achievers University, Owo'. He immediately he saw this he beckoned on all his queens and Chieves to come and see their kinsmen. Kinsmen! We wondered how Yorubas are related to a town in Delta. Then the King told us the story of his empire.
He related to us that the pioneer King of the town who was his own ancestral Father was a grandson to Oramiyan, a powerful King in Yorubaland. He claimed that the Father to pioneer King was Bini. He further told us they common traditions with Yorubas and attend meetings of Yoruba Monarchs when the need arises.
Because it was already late that night and we couldn't continue our journey, He asked his queens to prepare rooms for us to pass the night and prepared a tasteful meal as dinner. We later went inside the town to watch to watch the historic 2012 European Champions league semi-final match between Chelsea and Bayern Munich.

Story narrated. Something I noted in the narration of the King are:
(1) That the original King that formed the town is of Benin origin but with a grandfather of Yoruba extraction
(2) The title 'Oba' is exclusively used by the Yorubas to address their Monarchs. There is a possibility that the Binis must have contact with the Yorubas at a point in history.
(3) History had it that Oramiyan is a well travelled King who possibly restored back the Bini Empire back to its rightful owners
(4) It was learnt that during his voyage to rescue Bini (Known as Ile Ibinu by the Yorubas, possibly named due to the war they fought at that time), Oramiyan met the only existing Princess, whom he married and gave birth to a deaf son, who later inherited the throne. After him, he gave birth to another son through the same Princess who established Owo Kingdom (Owo is Yoruba town in Ondo State, SW Nigeria). The dressing of the Oba of Owo is similar to that of the Oba of Benin. I hope you know Ugbowo street in Benin, it was the name of the second son that established the Owo Kingdom.
LEARN HISTORY

1 Like

Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by gregyboy(m): 12:01pm On Aug 29, 2020
olawalepopoola:
As a Geologist our major happiness lies in seeing and studying rocks in their natural State. With my colleagues and students we toured parts of Edo and Delta States to understand the rocks distributions in the area.
One of the places we visited that I will never forget in the course of my career was the deposit of white plastic clay of Ozanagogo. We left Benin and passed through Ogwashi-Uku to see the deposit. Something important happened when we reached this town. As a thumb rule, a Geologist must seek the consent of the owner of the land he/she wishes to explore. Therefore we had to head to the King's palace. To my utmost surprise, the King saw the name of our University 'Achievers University, Owo'. He immediately he saw this he beckoned on all his queens and Chieves to come and see their kinsmen. Kinsmen! We wondered how Yorubas are related to a town in Delta. Then the King told us the story of his empire.
He related to us that the pioneer King of the town who was his own ancestral Father was a grandson to Oramiyan, a powerful King in Yorubaland. He claimed that the Father to pioneer King was Bini. He further told us they common traditions with Yorubas and attend meetings of Yoruba Monarchs when the need arises.
Because it was already late that night and we couldn't continue our journey, He asked his queens to prepare rooms for us to pass the night and prepared a tasteful meal as dinner. We later went inside the town to watch to watch the historic 2012 European Champions league semi-final match between Chelsea and Bayern Munich.

(1) That the original King that formed the town is of Benin origin but with a grandfather of Yoruba extraction
(2) The title 'Oba' is exclusively used by the Yorubas to address their Monarchs. There is a possibility that the Binis must have contact with the Yorubas at a point in history.
(3) History had it that Oramiyan is a well travelled King who possibly restored back the Bini Empire back to its rightful owners
(4) It was learnt that during his voyage to rescue Bini (Known as Ile Ibinu by the Yorubas, possibly named due to the war they fought at that time), Oramiyan met the only existing Princess, whom he married and gave birth to a deaf son, who later inherited the throne. After him, he gave birth to another son through the same Princess who established Owo Kingdom (Owo is Yoruba town in Ondo State, SW Nigeria). The dressing of the Oba of Owo is similar to that of the Oba of Benin. I hope you know Ugbowo street in Benin, it was the name of the second son that established the Owo Kingdom.
LEARN HISTORY

Fables from desperado tribe called yoruba,

You all started using the word oba for king in the early 30s to boost your kings historical evidence
We benins never saw it coming we woukd have objected it at first instance

As a mattee of fact benin-ife fables were made up recently and it is regarded as a myth that it is
Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by gregyboy(m): 12:06pm On Aug 29, 2020
Benin and ife nevered happened it is a myth

Benin-owo is a fact
Benin-ekiti... Is a fact
Benin - eko is a fact
Benin-akure is a fact and so man
Benin-oyo war which benin came victorious during the ekiti parakpo war is also a fact

But you see the benin-ife fables, it is no fact it all started after the creation of nigeria to diplomatically unite both kingdom so history was twisted to accompany themselves.......

We are retracing our history from myth
Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by RedboneSmith(m): 1:07pm On Aug 29, 2020
You left Benin and passed through Ogwashi Uku before you got to Ozanogogo? Ha! Are you sure you know where you went to, oga? If you leave Benin, you will reach Ozanogogo before you get to Ogwashi-Uku.

In fact, what you described here sounds like it was Ukwunzu you went to. Either that or this story is made up.

2 Likes

Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by olawalepopoola: 3:30pm On Aug 29, 2020
On the location, I made a mistake it was Ukwu-Nzu Thanks for that correction. I don't need you to believe the story. What I heard is what I passed on. Benin has a strong relationship that commons like you don't know. Learn!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by gregyboy(m): 2:58am On Aug 30, 2020
olawalepopoola:
On the location, I made a mistake it was Ukwu-Nzu Thanks for that correction. I don't need you to believe the story. What I heard is what I passed on. Benin has a strong relationship that commons like you don't know. Learn!

Hmmm busted
Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by RedboneSmith(m): 5:02am On Aug 30, 2020
olawalepopoola:

It is very strange for a full-grown man to make this kind of mistake. How can you be physically present in Ukwunzu, mix with the indigenes, and somehow get the place mixed up with Oza? Lol. grin

That is why I said you probably made up the story about you visiting the place. You wrote this based on second-hand evidence. I know Ukwunzu has Eastern Yoruba and Benin connections, but I do not believe you went there.

4 Likes

Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by Mraphel: 8:19am On Aug 30, 2020
RedboneSmith:

It is very strange for a full-grown man to make this kind of mistake. How can you be physically present in Ukwunzu, mix with the indigenes, and somehow get the place mixed up with Oza? Lol. grin

That is why I said you probably made up the story about you visiting the place. You wrote this based on second-hand evidence. I know Ukwunzu has Eastern Yoruba and Benin connections, but I do not believe you went there.
Doubting Thomas
Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by Nobody: 10:09am On Aug 30, 2020
olawalepopoola:

Lol

Lagos-Ibadan express analysis.

Una no dey tire. more I hv read this same account a long time ago from somewhere.

liars everywhere.
Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by gregyboy(m): 11:17am On Aug 30, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Lol, you wan turn this thread to igbo vs yoruba chill thread we edos got the fight bro, grin

You know if yoruba sees igbos they rather die fighting them than rather quit licking the fulani feet

So please dont give them the chance to divert the topic lol, you have said enough grin
Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by gregyboy(m): 11:21am On Aug 30, 2020
Mraphel:

Doubting Thomas

Na you get e doubting spirit
Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by RedboneSmith(m): 3:47pm On Aug 30, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol, you wan turn this thread to igbo vs yoruba chill thread we edos got the fight bro, grin

You know if yoruba sees igbos they rather die fighting them than rather quit licking the fulani feet

So please dont give them the chance to divert the topic lol, you have said enough grin

Did I mention Igbo in this thread, eh? Is there anywhere in this thread that I mentioned Igbo?

So how am turning it into Igbo vs Yoruba?
Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by gregyboy(m): 5:52pm On Aug 30, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Did I mention Igbo in this thread, eh? Is there anywhere in this thread that I mentioned Igbo?

So how am turning it into Igbo vs Yoruba?

They known you are igbo, so trust them, the will call you comnent hate speech and a tribalistic one
Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by AreaFada2: 6:40pm On Aug 30, 2020
olawalepopoola:

LEARN HISTORY

Listen Mr Man. If you want to know about Owo n Benin, I can enlighten you.

That Owo royalty was influenced by Benin is no news. Similarities still abound between both. I straddle both. A large number of Benin people still reside across Eastern Yorubaland as Ado-Akure people today.

Upele/Ipele in Owo LGA is largely of Benin descent. Though in last 50 years, a son of Oduduwa has been smuggled in as the 8th or 7th settler in addition to the 6 or 7 Benin settlers who first came. You know it became the trend for every yoruba community to conjure up descent from Oduduwa to be seen as Bona fide. Something the Olugbo of Ugbo has also talked about.

Like Arab monarchs now all claim descent from the Holy Prophet. Even Saddam Hussain found a way to put the Holy Prophet in his family tree.

That you could totally mistake another community for Ozanogogo is very strange.

I would be very happy to see that all Nigerian tribes are related. Maybe it would reduce tribalism a bit. I for one feel kinship with people of Lagos, Edo, Delta, parts of Bayelsa and Rivers and Eastern Yorubaland.

But we need to probably define these relationships.

1 Like

Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by RedboneSmith(m): 6:59pm On Aug 30, 2020
gregyboy:

They known you are igbo, so trust them, the will call you comnent hate and tribalistic comnents

The OP doesn't know anything about me.

Besides the place he is talking about is in Anioma, and there's no one more suited to reply than an Anioma person, which I am one.
Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by Nobody: 9:02pm On Aug 30, 2020
AreaFada2:

Listen Mr Man. If you want to know about Owo n Benin, I can enlighten you.

That Owo royalty was influenced by Benin is no news. Similarities still abound between both. I. Straddle both. A large number of Benin people still reside across Eastern Yorubaland as Ado-Akure people today.

Upele/Ipele in Owo LGA is largely of Benin descent. Though in last 50 years, a son of Oduduwa has been smuggled in as the 8th or 7th settler in addition to the 6 or 7 Benin settlers who first came. You know it became the trend for every yoruba community to conjure up descent from Oduduwa to be seen as Bona fide. Something the Olugbo of Ugbo has also talked about.

Like Arab monarchs now all claim descent from the Holy Prophet. Even Saddam Hussain even found a way to put the Holy Prophet in his family tree.

That you could totally mistake another community for for Ozanogogo is very strange.

[s]I would be very happy to see that all Nigerian tribes are related.. Maybe it would reduce tribalism a bit. I for one feel kinship with people of Lagos, Edo, Delta, parts of Bayelsa and Rivers and Eastern Yorubaland. [/s]

But we need to probably define these relationships.

Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by Chioma99(f): 6:32pm On Jun 27, 2021
please is water leaf farming really profitable?
Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by michelz: 6:58pm On Jun 27, 2021
olawalepopoola:
You are not a scientist.
You are just a cheap revisionist.
Your embarrassing narrative has been thoroughly busted.
Go and sleep.
Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by Nobody: 6:58am On Jun 29, 2021
I believe yoruba named Bini ile ibinu because they are always angry and ungovernable. The same can be said of igbos now, they are aggressive and because of everyone for himself they are not easy to lead.

I think Igbos were people Oranmiyan met at Bini, he then expelled them southward.
Re: The Oyo Versus The Benin - My Experience From Ozanagogo Trip by Alhajiemeritus: 11:35am On Jul 04, 2021
SlyDev:
I believe yoruba named Bini ile ibinu because they are always angry and ungovernable. The same can be said of igbos now, they are aggressive and because of everyone for himself they are not easy to lead.

I think Igbos were people Oranmiyan met at Bini, he then expelled them southward.
Lol
Highly plausible.
They are always � angry.
A research should be done on this.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Climate Change: Osinbajo Advocates Climate Justice, More Energy For Africa / Female University Student Goes Topless During Class Presentation In SA (video) / Any Ketu Epe Indigene Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.