Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers (3058 Views)

Setting Up Pc To Pc Lan And Sharing A Usb Modem Internet Services In The Network / When Will Nigerians Get Good Unlimited Internet Services In This Country? / Broadband Internet Services in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by doyenn(m): 4:07am On Jun 20, 2007
we need to suggest wat would be the appropriate measure the govt can take to curb this our telecomms company espcially our internet providers.they stylishly rip us off by providing inferior internet services for us at a higher rate.people let's rise against poor telecoms services
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by joygirl1(f): 5:43pm On Jun 20, 2007
it not only the internet provider we all get poor services everyday and we do nothing about it. i feel we should all think of a way out of this
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by thimbook2(m): 8:28pm On Jun 20, 2007
yeah doyenn, its a real pity and i'm always sad about whenever i'm outside 9ja to think of the services BT and co. offer in UK and the crap that's served back home where you have crawling internet speeds that disallow people from downloading even the tiniest of emails attachements comnfortably, its really bad. i wonder if the NCC could be persuaded to do something about it.
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by mrofficial(m): 1:37am On Jun 21, 2007
A country that is full of corruption, fraudulent activities, 419, bad govt. Since this things exist, na wetin we see we go chop. grin
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by Akolawole(m): 2:39am On Jun 21, 2007
mr.official:

A country that is full of corruption, fraudulent activities, 419, bad govt. Since this things exist, na wetin we see we go chop. grin

What does this have to do with private companies?

I am not sure if there is Yaradua service provider undecided
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by ajadrage: 10:30am On Jun 21, 2007
The situation is so sad, I believe that with the launch of the Nigerian satellite things might improve, although this would be dependent on the sincerity of those who have been saddled with the responsibility of selling the frequency.

I do not think that most internet users know what a broadband connection is and in the emerging world technology, broadband is even getting obsolete, but in Nigeria, we are still grappling with this snail speed shit.

I suggest we try and form a pressure group that will write articles and lobby for serious and drastic measures to be taken. Our mumu don do
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by donmayor(m): 11:26am On Jun 21, 2007
When NITEL Sat-III was launched, there was high hopes that service would improve. Nothing happened. Actually, the Sat-III was nice but the price wasn't friendly. I used for some time. Nigeria's satellite has been launched now and the hopes are there again, lets hope it won't be dashed.
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by Greycells(m): 12:12pm On Jun 21, 2007
Not to lose hope people, we must continue to hope, or else there will be a lot suicide in this country where nothing works.

Last word: pls contribute your quota to d much desired social change the country needs by being honest, sincere and dilligent at what ya do.

My $1 advice
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by Akolawole(m): 12:36pm On Jun 21, 2007
ajadrage:

I do not think that most internet users know what a broadband connection is and in the emerging world technology, broadband is even getting obsolete, but in Nigeria, we are still grappling with this snail speed shit.

Obsolete?

When did Broadband even start in the West?

How much is it at the begining?

How much is it now?

NIGERIA IS NOT THERE YET but we are not far.
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by esilove(m): 4:03pm On Jun 21, 2007
any body know how much G24 charge for there monthly services.?
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jun 21, 2007
Yeah I agree we pay so much for so little. For instance I pay reltel wireless 10k for a 24/7 monthly dial up access in abj, avg speed 230kbps. The service is fine, no major complaints. But someone I know in the US pays in the region of 10 -15 dollars ( about N2,000)  monthly for a broadband connection with speeds of about 2mbps average( really fast), and 5 dollars ( about N700) for a second dial up internet connection. That's painful.

The truth, i feel, is that the nigerian  isp business is largely dominated by small players who can't afford to operate at a loss which isn't an excuse for poor service delivery.  However, until telecom behemoths like glo, mtn, and celtel who have the resources to run this thing more efficiently by employing the economies of scale and thereby reducing end user costs to somthing like 3-5k a month for full time access pitch in, then we are still a long ways from a nigerian internet penetration of about 30% or having 40 million nigerians with "private" internet access.
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by donmayor(m): 8:03pm On Jun 21, 2007
There is no way reltel would charg 230kbps for 10k!
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by mazia(m): 5:16am On Jun 22, 2007
I am not quite familiar with the nigerian internet providers service but i know for sure it lousy. Correct me if i am wrong, i think one of the reasons for the high price nigerians pay for internet access is due to lack of affordable power, running cell towers on generators with fuel/diesel rpices skyrocketing at the ticking of the clock calls for such adjustment in the price structure of their service.

I believe they have to anticipate the possible fuel hikes and charge a premium that will remain fairly constant until the anticipated price is reached then it will be increased to buffer the effect? Are there any plans by the nigerian govt to provide low cost consistent power to firms that depend on it for their operations? embarassed
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by Nobody: 9:07am On Jun 22, 2007
donmayor my bad, that's the published speed i see on the connection icon, and i totally agree that the actual speed is only a tiny fraction of the 230kbps. It really sucks. But why can't service providers offer anything near that??
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by kitaun(m): 11:52am On Jun 22, 2007
@donmayor

the fact is; the ISPs in Nigeria charge averagely 10k vat excluded for 230kbps cool

but the services are so poor for much being paid embarassed

for instance I use Starcomms 24/7 having paid N10,450 and the services rendered is to me below average . . .230kbps my foot angry
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by hayprof(m): 9:10pm On Jun 22, 2007
who's used swiftng? we want to subscribe 2 their internet services in our office. hw reliable r they?
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by hayprof(m): 9:10pm On Jun 22, 2007
who's used swiftng? we want to subscribe 2 their internet services in our office. hw reliable r they?
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by medube(m): 9:39pm On Jun 22, 2007
Before you convince the Government or anyone else to deal with ISPs for delivering speeds not compared to other countries, try convincing them to put in place proper infrastructure and manage the SAT3 fiber link well, so that ISPs can use it to serve you and others. Most ISPs have to rely on VSATs and that alone has some lag, not too mention the high cost of Bandwidth that has to be paid for already.
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by ThoniaSlim(f): 2:18pm On Jun 23, 2007
its really terrible, back home, they pay fifteen thousand monthly for a round the clock internet that is not so fast. but over here in Malaysia i use a 100mbps broadband which is fast and pay only 40Ringits which is about 1600Naira, see the difference. may God help Nigeria.
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by kitaun(m): 1:55am On Jun 24, 2007
Amen!!!
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by ThoniaSlim(f): 1:59am On Jun 24, 2007
lol grin
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by brushparke(m): 6:41am On Jun 25, 2007
I use Bourdex and it sucks
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by Nobody: 11:02am On Jun 25, 2007
I discover that most ISP subscribe their service outside Nigeria.
A problem which i know of is congestion of client on a network.
Nigerian ISP will subscribe for 128 kpb which is meant for 15 P.C,but use it for 50 P.C tell me the bandwidth will be full and users won't enjoy the service.

That is why most people prefer to browse at night, then congestion is less
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by RichDad1(m): 1:57pm On Jun 25, 2007
@all
Please i want to suscribe for internet.Which of these networks is better starcomms or retel?
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by aikayboy(m): 6:44pm On Jun 25, 2007
has anyone used multilinks before? i use it and it is quite reliable, all around the day. it reads about 115.2 kbps and is quite fast. i seriously recommend it. a little inefficient for downloading large files, but otherwise very good.
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by RichDad1(m): 7:18pm On Jun 25, 2007
@aikayboy,
Please how much does it cost for installation??
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by nazzyon(m): 11:35pm On Jun 25, 2007
Cobranets service was woefull throughout last week
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by aikayboy(m): 12:13am On Jun 26, 2007
@Rich Dad
I'm sure u stay in either Lagos or Abuja where the multilinks service is available. there are options for multilinks. u have to buy their specialized handsets, whether a landline type, or a mobile handset type, depending on how mobile u plan to be. the landline type costs about N15,000 to purchase, while the mobile handsets range from about N8,000 to about N30,000 or so, depending on the grade of handset u intend to purchase. u can then choose the type of tariff structure u would like, whether it would be 24 hours, the first six hours of the day, the last six hours of the day, the working hours of the day, weekends only, etc. based on ur choice, they would configure ur handset for you as well as ur laptop or desktop. U will be charged nothing for configuration, but then as u recharge ur phone, a certain amount of money is removed from ur account, depending on what tariff plan u have chosen. I use the 24 hour plan, and generally, the documentation says i am charged N15,000 per month, breaking it down to about N500 per day. So, on any day that I recharge my phone, I can browse for as long as I want, for only N500 per day. However, on any day that I do not recharge, I do not have any deficit to make up for, so i am charged only for the days I recharge my account. I must say that, aside downloading setbacks, multilinks is the best I think anyone can use for personal browsing in this country. I don't work for Multilinks o! wink
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by MP007(m): 5:01am On Jun 26, 2007
who is surprised here? grin, na today?
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by Dynast(m): 12:10pm On Jun 26, 2007
This is really sad our ISP TIKS based in Lagos are fond of disconnecting our channel and use it for other custumers or 4 private use. This is deliberately done by sone of the Network Engineer there and keep on pretending that the fault is not from them.
They disconnet us for a sharp business on rush periods such as when JAMB result is released or when checking 4 Exam centers or any other online registeration
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by Dynast(m): 12:23pm On Jun 26, 2007
Some ISP are too fraudlent,dubious and hav so much shoddy deals
Re: Poor Internet Services By All Nigerian Internet Providers by Veracious(f): 5:40pm On Jun 26, 2007
fellow nairaland members did you notice what aikayboy just did? am sure he works for multilinks if not he wont be advertising their services.
ol boy you na good marketer of bad service oh! grin

ride on bros its a fre way to sell your company. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 Offline Installer Available For Download / Original 128GB SSD Available / Dell G7 Gaming Laptop For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.