Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,069 members, 7,956,991 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:56 AM

Fiancee Or Spouse Visa, Which Is Better? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Fiancee Or Spouse Visa, Which Is Better? (2299 Views)

UK Spouse Visa/Appeal Process-part2 / Spouse Visa/indefinate Leave To Remain(uk) / Fiancee Or Spouse Visa, Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fiancee Or Spouse Visa, Which Is Better? by bikolo: 10:27am On Jun 20, 2007
Dear NAIRALANDERS
I am  presntly living in lagos at the moment and my girlfriend is british living in the Uk,we have been dating each other for over a year now and we are bent on getting married, but she has always want to get married in the chuch of england, thats her family church,ratehr than in nigeria but i would like anyone with a vast idean on the uk settlement thing to please advise which would be better and faster, a fiancee visa or spouse visa, she has all the requirements needed,we would like to know how long does it take to process these applications, would fiancee visa be faster or should we get married here in lagos and apply for  a settlement, all her family lives in england and she would want them present,
pls Akolawola,imani and others i would want your views,Thank you
Re: Fiancee Or Spouse Visa, Which Is Better? by LondonCool(m): 3:50pm On Jun 20, 2007
If you are going to get married in UK, then you have to apply for a Marraige Visa-it is a 6 months visa for the purpose of getting married. At its expiration you will need to leave the UK to Nigeria and apply for for a spouse settlement visa (assuming you got married on your marriage visa visit).

A fiancee visa is given for the purpose of visiting a common-law partner.From experience the burden of proof is very very high for those appliying from Third World countries compared to Non-Visa nationals from Canada,Australia or South Africa for instance applying for the same visa. When you are married and apply for a spouse visa you will have much more stronger basis for getting a visa issued.

My advice is for you guys to get married in Lagos then subsequently apply for a Settlement Spouse visa, but get ready for a barrage of intimidating and embarassing questions from the ECO during your Visa interview. They would like to know whether the relationship is subsisting and not an "arrangee" marriage or "Internet dating".
Re: Fiancee Or Spouse Visa, Which Is Better? by Imani(f): 4:34pm On Jun 20, 2007
LondonCool has said it all.
Re: Fiancee Or Spouse Visa, Which Is Better? by VOR(m): 12:07am On Jun 21, 2007
Imani:

LondonCool has said it all.

Not quite.

If you are getting married in the Church of England(Anglican)
then strictly speaking you don't require a marriage visit visa.
You will however need to obtain a visit visa to come to the UK
in the first place and it is probably better that you are upfront and
declare your reasons for coming to the UK to the ECO.

It really depends on your personal circumstances as to whether or
not you will be granted a visa for whatever purpose you apply, be it
settlement or visit.

Good luck.
Re: Fiancee Or Spouse Visa, Which Is Better? by Akolawole(m): 2:04am On Jun 21, 2007
VOR:

If you are getting married in the Church of England(Anglican)

Baba,

Confess to me:

1) You are UK Solicitor or work for one;

2) You bring in Dutch girls to get em em em.

Do you know somebody argue with me for weeks on Church of England stuff? She said i must show her in immigration rules where that is stated? But i told her " i combined rules with field work" I am not too bookish.

Dont you think that is discrimination against other churches or religion?

Is it because Prince Charles is the head of the Church or what?
Re: Fiancee Or Spouse Visa, Which Is Better? by Imani(f): 12:38pm On Jun 21, 2007
@VOR,

I didn't remember the Church of England "option"

But, don't you have to have been a member of the Church, baptised and confirmed before you can wed in a local parish?
Re: Fiancee Or Spouse Visa, Which Is Better? by Akolawole(m): 2:13pm On Jun 21, 2007
Imani:

@VOR,

I didn't remember the Church of England "option"

But, don't you have to have been a member of the Church, baptised and confirmed before you can wed in a local parish?

Madam, you dont need to, even Muslim get marry there lipsrsealed
Re: Fiancee Or Spouse Visa, Which Is Better? by English1(f): 11:59am On Jun 22, 2007
No, pretty much anyone can get married in a church of England church.

A lot of non-Christians do it.

(1) (Reply)

Visa Free Countries For Nigerians / American Citizenship / Shortage Of Workers Hits America. Companies Closing Down For Lack of Labourers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.