Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,774 members, 7,817,166 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:36 AM

Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua (46507 Views)

Boxing: Efe Ajagba Loses First Professional Fight As Sanchez Retains Title / Meet Efe Ajagba, Nigerian Boxer Making Waves Like Anthony Joshua / Efe Ajagba Wins Curtis Harper Without A Punch After Opponent Walked Out Of Ring (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by ghettokid1(m): 8:16pm On Sep 03, 2020
Heavyweight boxing prospect Efe Ajagba believes he has what it takes to beat Nigerian-born British boxer Anthony Joshua.
Ajagba , who is unbeaten in 13 professional fights is rated among best heavyweight prospects in the world.
“The people would support Joshua because he is the heavyweight champ,” Ajagba told Sky Sports.
“Skill would beat Joshua, not power,” said the undefeated Ajagba. “Me and Joshua both have the power. But skills control the power.
“I have more skills.”

Surely Joshua, an Olympic gold medallist and two-time heavyweight champion, has his fair share of skill?

“I don’t think so,” Ajagba says. “The best weapon of Joshua’s is the left hook and right uppercut. He doesn’t have a good jab.

“I respect him. He is the heavyweight champion. I respect everything about him – his talent and his potential. He is a humble guy.

“People are saying that I talk Joshua down. But I don’t want to do that.

“Joshua is from Nigeria so he is a part of Africa, too.”
https://www.completesports.com/efe-ajagba-vows-to-dethrone-joshua

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by EmptyGarden(m): 9:13pm On Sep 03, 2020
Efe! Maintain your lane o, no do pass yourself.

262 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by Slawormir: 6:21am On Sep 04, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

weyreypey:
Usual South South loudmouth...
Ogbeni nor reason am o
He fit still fall Anthony Joshua hand

He holds the record for the fastest victory in boxing history

Anthony Joshua way dey run up and down for inside ring
If nor be say Anthony Joshua na also our real niggarrr....I for talk many many things but make i rest...

210 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by dynicks(m): 6:21am On Sep 04, 2020
grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by jamata20: 6:22am On Sep 04, 2020
No be by mouth oo Efe... The talk suppose shock am sef

Though a Nigerian knows how to fight a Nigerian grin grin

66 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by alizma: 6:22am On Sep 04, 2020
Efe Ajagba (born 22 April 1994) is a Nigerian professional boxer who holds the record for the fastest victory in boxing history after his opponent was disqualified for leaving the ring one second after the opening bell. As an Amateur boxing amateur he won a gold medal at the 2015 African Games and bronze at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

When you hear the dry bone shall rise again, this is one of them o. He looks dry but may pull through his threat if given the chance.
They should just make sure that the ring is a close ring with strong keys so that he will learn a life time lesson if he fail to deliver on his promise
All in all, them be naija boys na my happiness be that

82 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by Englishisamust: 6:22am On Sep 04, 2020
l

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by bhella10: 6:22am On Sep 04, 2020
He's not even fought any heavy weight, here he is like a typical Nigerian wanting to chew more than he can swallow. Before you can get to fight Aj bros you will have to cross many crocodile infested bridges one of them is Povetkin, Dillian Bodysnatcher Whyte... The list goes on

169 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by Bornfool(m): 6:22am On Sep 04, 2020
I will close my eyes to beat this one, see as be like Anambra crayfish

76 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by weyreypey: 6:23am On Sep 04, 2020
Usual South South loudmouth...

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:23am On Sep 04, 2020
No be by mouth o.
Efe, Make we sing small for you....

See this life me I no like trouble oh
One man's thing is another man struggle oh
Money no dey today, money go dey tomorrow
Feel good it's a happy day

Oh no
Peperipe peperipepe
Oh yeah, oh yeah yeah
No go dey do pass yourself
Pepe ripe peperipepe

68 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:23am On Sep 04, 2020
Hold up,
Hold up,
Hold up!
We are taking the above back mehn!!

We just read about thr exploits of Efe Ajabga and we saw that he is a force to be reckon with also.
He's undefeated in 13 games in the USA and the only boxer to represent our darling country at the 2016 Olympics.

We are taking the above back.
The better man will win the match for real!
Afterall, they are both our Naija Brodas!
That's d koko

Excerpts :

Anthony Joshua's long-held dream of fighting in Africa could be aided by the rising threat of another Nigerian heavyweight who plans to knock him off his perch.

Efe Ajagba has already plotted how he would dethrone Joshua, whose pride for his African heritage is worn in the form of a tattoo on his arm.

"The people would support Joshua because he is the heavyweight champ," Ajagba tells Sky Sports but he is quickly establishing himself as a dangerous contender with vicious KO power who could become the perfect foil for Joshua to stage a fight against in Nigeria.

Joshua plans to fight Pulev in December

"Skill would beat Joshua, not power," said the undefeated Ajagba. "Me and Joshua both have the power. But skills control the power.

"I have more skills."

"I don't think so," Ajagba says. "The best weapon of Joshua's is the left hook and right uppercut. He doesn't have a good jab.

More on this storyWhyte's instructions - 'Povetkin nearly done!'AJ: Fury's claims 'don’t add up'

"I respect him. He is the heavyweight champion. I respect everything about him - his talent and his potential. He is a humble guy.

"People are saying that I talk Joshua down. But I don't want to do that.

"Joshua is from Nigeria so he is a part of Africa, too."

Joshua was inspired to reclaim his IBF, WBA and WBO titles from Andy Ruiz Jr last year after a trip to the Makoko slum in Nigeria, the African nation where his parents are from.

"They told me: 'Make sure you go get those belts back'," Joshua told Sky Sports at the time. "That is massively inspiring."

He hopes to one day emulate Muhammad Ali by fighting in Africa but it is logistically difficult despite the clear interest. Ali beat George Foreman in 'the Rumble in the Jungle' in Zaire in 1974.

The emergence of a challenger like Ajagba can only benefit Joshua's dream.

"Absolutely in the future," Ajagba says of facing Joshua on African soil. "It would be perfect. Two Nigerian warriors fighting in a title fight."

Heavyweight prospects are defined by their power but Ajagba, more than most, is carving out a reputation as a wrecking ball.

He is unbeaten in 13 and the only opponent to go the distance was Ali Eren Demirezen. That fight was Ajagba's hardest examination so far - Demirezen had a better record, unbeaten in 10, before they met.

Curiously he plays down his knockout power insisting it is nothing special.

"I don't think so. It's not about me," he says. "It's about the way I throw my punch and how my opponent feels it.

"It's not about power. Power comes from how you throw the punch, and how you land the punch. Move your legs into the punch, that's where the power is."

Ajagba is the youngest son of a boxer who initially discouraged him from following the same path. But trouble became too easy to find for a young and feisty Ajagba.

"I discovered boxing in Nigeria. I would fight on the streets and I always won," he says. "So I started boxing.

"Fighting on the streets is different to boxing. I had natural power. I wasn't fighting a boxer, I would fight bodybuilders. I wasn't a boxer, he wasn't a boxer. So I hit them, they fell. Boxing is different because fighters train everyday to get in the ring."

At first he did not enjoy the discipline that came with boxing.

"No, not immediately. I had to take my time and think about it.

"When I started boxing they taught me foundations - how to move my legs, how to throw combinations."

Image:Ajagba is now promoted by Top Rank

He was Nigeria's only boxing representative at the 2016 Olympics and was eliminated by Ivan Dychko of Kazakhstan, who is now 9-0 as a pro but with none of the clamour attached to Ajagba's rise.

He was scouted at the Olympics and brought to Houston, Texas, a city with a large Nigerian immigrant population to base his professional career.

Was it a hard transition?

"Not really. The environment is very different. I saw a different life when I came to America, a different community.

"The environment in America is beautiful. Nigeria is beautiful too, but America is a different culture."

He worked with Ronnie Shields, who had previously trained Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield, and the opponents soon began to fall. Seven of his first eight fights were finished in a single round.

One of those remains among the strangest results in boxing history, although Ajagba does not find it funny.

His 2018 win against Curtis Harper was officially clocked at one second. The opening bell rang, Harper calmly exited the ring and walked backstage, never to be seen again.

The clip went viral, viewed millions of times in the days afterwards. It emerged Harper was protesting against his own promoter.

"I was mad and confused," Ajagba says. "I didn't know what was going on. Why did he walk out of the ring?

"I didn't see him after the fight. But before the weigh-in, his girlfriend came to me and said: 'Are you fighting Curtis Harper?'

"I didn't know why she was asking me questions.

"She said: 'You have the talent, you have the skills'.

"She came to me to ask me to take it easy in the fight!

"I can't do that.

"Why did she ask me to take it easy?

"So when Curtis Harper walked out of the ring, I was mad and confused."

Image:Ajagba has built a 13-0 record based in the USA

The next stage of Ajagba's development will be promoted by Bob Arum's Top Rank. He has changed trainers to Kay Koroma, who also works with Shakur Stevenson and Jarrett Hurd, meaning he will be based out of Virginia.

Aged just 26 and with all of his fights coming in the USA, he is still a prospect being carefully managed through the heavyweight division.

There are issues to iron out - last December he was floored by Iago Kiladze, an opponent on a four-fight winless run, but recovered to avoid catastrophe. Earlier this year he needed nine rounds to get rid of Razvan Cojanu, who was beaten inside two rounds by Daniel Dubois.

Ajagba is hoping to make his Top Rank debut in September and promoter Bob Arum said: "He has immense physical tools and a great work ethic. I have the utmost confidence that we're looking at a future heavyweight champion."

The match will be so interesting,
They are both good boxers in their respective areas.
Still on still,
Anybody that wins,
Still on still,
UP NIGERIA, that is d koko!

obstead200:
after reading this history, all I can tell Efe Ajagba is "Egungun be careful Na express u dey go".

In any case, the prospect of a fight between them is still remote for now. He would have to win more fights and gain far more reputation than he already has right now. Boxing is big business and heavyweight category is the biggest of them. No promoter will want to bankroll a fight that won't spin significant cash, both for the fighters and for the business. Right now an AJ and Efe match won't command so much respect or patronage. Maybe later on, when Efe is much more popular and have achieved like 20 unbeaten record, then his promoters can start hyping him up for an AJ match.

Frankly, I think he stands a (slim) chance against AJ
Hmmmmmm, you post really make sense.
You've said it all.
You broke it all down to pieces.
Seconded!

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by Diamonddris(m): 6:23am On Sep 04, 2020
Wetin Hush puppy no go see for prison

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by TruthSpeaker: 6:24am On Sep 04, 2020
Do it if you’re bad. No need for much noise making.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by iCauseTrouble: 6:24am On Sep 04, 2020
Enu Ose Durella

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by hacmond(m): 6:24am On Sep 04, 2020
Hmmm. Efe

1 Like

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by BlueDragonttess(m): 6:24am On Sep 04, 2020
Odw
Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by IboHausaYoruba: 6:24am On Sep 04, 2020
Efe, please don't die now! Nah beg I dey beg you.

9 Likes

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by prciouschika(f): 6:24am On Sep 04, 2020
grin funny how people occupy space here cheesy jus now now comments flowed in...

2 Likes

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by Azurevermillion: 6:24am On Sep 04, 2020
Wetin we no go hear i look forward to their fight
Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by BlueDragonttess(m): 6:24am On Sep 04, 2020
Lalasticlala
Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by alkines(m): 6:25am On Sep 04, 2020
Who yu (indaboski voice)…… grin

1 Like

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by iamyemiakins(m): 6:25am On Sep 04, 2020
Just 3 blows from A.J will reset this one's head

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by xedyl(m): 6:25am On Sep 04, 2020
Efe step by step bro. Focus on your boxing for now.

1 Like

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by Zuorom: 6:25am On Sep 04, 2020
Efe vs Joshua will be good for Nigeria but not good for efe himself. The beating he will receive will be like what Samuel Peter suffered in the hand of Klitschko

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by Waffarianman(m): 6:25am On Sep 04, 2020
Hahahahha just wondering
Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by realvikash: 6:25am On Sep 04, 2020
Na true he sha talk na...
Efe too na wayray o smiley ..(Curtis Harper) person wey suppose fight am leave stage run immediately the match start grin
Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by Taiwojon(m): 6:26am On Sep 04, 2020
work hard
it's paid.

maybe he can, but you need divine strength ooooo.
meanwhile divine strength can only be found in Christ in God.

Jesus save
Re: Boxing: Efe Ajagba Vows To Dethrone Anthony Joshua by Timekeeper: 6:26am On Sep 04, 2020
If na by mouth, I for Don get house for lekki, get wife from Spain... Get mansion for Canada, get job for USA.... Go on tour in the UK

Efe no be by mouth

23 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Davido With World Cup Winning Eaglets / The Official €222m Cheque Of Neymar's Transfer To PSG (Photo) / Qatar 2022 World Cup Draw On 1st April 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.