Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,133 members, 7,849,549 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:14 AM

Disagreement With My Husband About Babies Names - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Disagreement With My Husband About Babies Names (2196 Views)

How Do I Confront My Husband About This Issue? / Sister Pours Hot Water On Brother Over Disagreement About Married Man (Graphic) / What My Wife Does Whenever We Have A Disagreement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Disagreement With My Husband About Babies Names by Uyi168: 8:58am On Sep 05, 2020
Oizee:
you are absolutely right , cuz I don't know the mystery behind his murder, but what was certain was d face of d guy that knelt down to his neck, when I watched d video, all I see was a pure racist.
Have u taken time to watch the real unedited video of really happened??
George was aleady shouting I can't breath before the officer laid on his neck..
Re: Disagreement With My Husband About Babies Names by lahizak: 9:21am On Sep 05, 2020
Forget the part where everyone is shouting the man is d head of d family. This is 21st century, while u need to respect ur husband, that doesn't give him d right to have a final say in everu situation. U pushed those 2 lovely babies out of ur body with excruciating pain, for me that gives u d final say on names. Sit ur husband down, both of u should find a name u both comfortable with.

1 Like

Re: Disagreement With My Husband About Babies Names by mutter(f): 9:42am On Sep 05, 2020
What's wrong with changing his opinion.
That's the essence of life.. We mature, we get wiser, we make changes.
You want your children to have it easier in Europe.. Then why have them for a black man.
The color is more of a problem than a name.
This is why I discourge the idea of interracial marriages when the parties are not mature.

3 Likes

Re: Disagreement With My Husband About Babies Names by Jqtyfx(m): 10:27am On Sep 05, 2020
Vincenzomum:

I am bothered because I live in a country where there is too much racism I don’t want any of my children to be victims just because of their names , to other children it may sound funny and they will bully them. I am talking from experience. Yes I am black African
Racists don't ask for names before they're racists. It's skin color that prompts racism, not names.
Re: Disagreement With My Husband About Babies Names by Nobody: 11:03am On Sep 05, 2020
Afam4eva:
Of all things to disagree about. What exactly is wrong in your opinion of children having an Igbo name as their first name considering that there father is Igbo. if you wanted an Italian name instead, that would have been a different discussion.

I have said it countless times that all my children will have Igbo names both as first and middle names an any woman that doesn't like it and as much as i respect her opinion, that marriage will not happen.
Gbam.
He should have made that decision before marriage.
He has to follow their agreement.
Re: Disagreement With My Husband About Babies Names by TheChameleon: 11:25am On Sep 05, 2020
Your hubby needs you more than you need him.

Check well, he might even be into crime. He's a liar who doesn't keep to agreements.

Give those kids Italian names. undecided

1 Like

Re: Disagreement With My Husband About Babies Names by prophetfire: 1:28pm On Sep 05, 2020
Theslumflower:
I really don't understand the concept of submission to a husband because of a decision as easy as a child's name. It doesn't make sense. Of course the husband is the head of the family and has a final say on issues regarding the well being of the family but in a situation like this, there is nothing like a "head or tail". It is a child's name for crying out loud!

The child is for both the parents and not the father alone. Y'all make this submission ish look like the woman shouldn't have a say again in the family. She is first of all an individual before she is a wife. Individuals have right to opinions and to stand by it.

So literally a woman shouldn't even have a say again on what to name her own child?. She is the child's parent too just as the man. This is what happened in my family too, I was given a name by my dad which my mom didn't want me to have but I guess she accepted so as not to disobey my dad. Funny enough, I grew up and hated the name, I didn't answer it and then decided to change it.

Men really need to understand some things are not that deep. The child will still grow up and decide whatever they want to do. After all, he will be the one to answer the name not you.

Your husband really should act as a man and the head by taking decisions that should bring unity than disparity in his family.
Marriage is not a must and not by force. If you dnt believe in submission, stay off marriage. Its very easy to do.
Re: Disagreement With My Husband About Babies Names by ImaIma1(f): 4:26pm On Sep 05, 2020
Afam4eva:
Of all things to disagree about. What exactly is wrong in your opinion of children having an Igbo name as their first name considering that there father is Igbo. if you wanted an Italian name instead, that would have been a different discussion.

I have said it countless times that all my children will have Igbo names both as first and middle names an any woman that doesn't like it and as much as i respect her opinion, that marriage will not happen.

Since they had an agreement previously, it should be respected. He can't just overturn it because he is the head of the house. There's a reason couples discuss potential issues in advance and agree on them before they blow into problems.

Apparently, they are both from different tribes/countries and an English name is the middle ground. And she is not an ordinary baby making machine who doesn't have a say in how the children are named.

Let's stop using "head of houseship" to bully and oppress. Not cool.

1 Like

Re: Disagreement With My Husband About Babies Names by Afam4eva(m): 5:13pm On Sep 05, 2020
ImaIma1:

Since they had an agreement previously, it should be respected. He can't just overturn it because he is the head of the house. There's a reason couples discuss potential issues in advance and agree on them before they blow into problems.

Apparently, they are both from different tribes/countries and an English name is the middle ground. And she is not an ordinary baby making machine who doesn't have a say in how the children are named.

Let's stop using "head of houseship" to bully and oppress. Not cool.

While i think people should respect agreements, i also think Agreements can be changed as long as you go through the right channel. If something doesn't seem favourable to one party, it's okay for that person to seek redress.
Re: Disagreement With My Husband About Babies Names by UjuJoan2: 5:15pm On Sep 05, 2020
Lady16:
Your husband is the head of the family he have the final say but talk to him,let him know the reason why u want those names but if he insist u have to accept it that way

They had an agreement, which is very reasonable. Why change it at the last minute for no just cause. Very worng.
Re: Disagreement With My Husband About Babies Names by Lady16(f): 5:38pm On Sep 05, 2020
UjuJoan2:

They had an agreement, which is very reasonable. Why change it at the last minute for no just cause. Very worng.
So what do u want her to do?
Re: Disagreement With My Husband About Babies Names by Saintmary(f): 6:00pm On Sep 05, 2020
Vincenzomum:
I am not a Nigerian I live in Italy with my Nigerian husband we have 2 children , and I am expecting twins next month. My first child Vincenzo is not from my husband , I had him with an Italian man we later separated. I met my husband 5 years ago we talked about not naming any of our children with traditional names as their first name maybe middle name because I strongly believe children abroad should be given names that everyone around will feel comfortable to pronounce them, that will also help them from not getting bullied in school we both had accepted. Our first daughter we named her Olivia munachi , we have both decided to named our twins aleesha and alexia but at last minutes my husband changed his mind , he want us to name them with Nigerian names as their first names which I am against him, this problem is bringing a lot of problem in the house because I will not accept him to give my babies any Nigerian names as their first , I prefer it to be their middle names, he is angry and refuse to talk to me. But this thing we had discussed even before we got married I don’t understand why the sudden change in him. Please help me judge this matter who is wrong between the two of us ?
"Children abroad"
Fake story.
Re: Disagreement With My Husband About Babies Names by Jullima(f): 6:08pm On Sep 05, 2020
OP it’s unfortunate your husband went back on his word, it’s never cool to know you can’t trust or rely on your husband’s word.

Well, now that you’re here, you can do what we did when we were also at a stalemate for name choices, both of us were unwilling to budge. So we decided to write both our first and second choices in 4 scraps of paper, and we asked a third party to pick one from the four.

If that will not work for you, you can choose Igbo names that are easy to pronounce or used by other cultures e.g “Ugo” is also an Italian name or Adaora can be spelt Adora. Mma, Ada etc are not bad names.

Another option, you can go ahead with your husband’s choice doesn’t mean she has to go by her first name. Some people are called or known by their middle name e.g Meghan Markle’s officially is Rachel Meghan Markle.

A first name dispute is not the marital hill you want to die on.

5 Likes

Re: Disagreement With My Husband About Babies Names by ImaIma1(f): 6:22pm On Sep 05, 2020
Afam4eva:

While i think people should respect agreements, i also think Agreements can be changed as long as you go through the right channel. If something doesn't seem favourable to one party, it's okay for that person to seek redress.

For peace, and to avoid strive and spite, it is best to stick to the previous agreement. There is a reason couple agree on things in advance so that they are not taken by surprise.

The man should not take advantage of the fact that he is the head of the family to take her for granted. Little things such as this could cause big problems in marriage, just like little hinges swing huge doors.
Re: Disagreement With My Husband About Babies Names by Hathor5(f): 6:32pm On Sep 05, 2020
Vincenzomum:
I am not a Nigerian I live in Italy with my Nigerian husband we have 2 children , and I am expecting twins next month. My first child Vincenzo is not from my husband , I had him with an Italian man we later separated. I met my husband 5 years ago we talked about not naming any of our children with traditional names as their first name maybe middle name because I strongly believe children abroad should be given names that everyone around will feel comfortable to pronounce them, that will also help them from not getting bullied in school we both had accepted. Our first daughter we named her Olivia munachi , we have both decided to named our twins aleesha and alexia but at last minutes my husband changed his mind , he want us to name them with Nigerian names as their first names which I am against him, this problem is bringing a lot of problem in the house because I will not accept him to give my babies any Nigerian names as their first , I prefer it to be their middle names, he is angry and refuse to talk to me. But this thing we had discussed even before we got married I don’t understand why the sudden change in him. Please help me judge this matter who is wrong between the two of us ?

Aleesha and Alexia are not Italian names, are they? So your argument that you need names everyone will feel comfortable pronouncing does not hold water. Also, there are kids abroad who have foreign names and don't get bullied so you should choose the names you like and not consider what everyone else will think of them.

(1) (2) (Reply)

3D PE Foam Panel @4500 Per Square Meter / My Hubby Now Detests Me Cause I Don’t Pick My Calls / Pastor Stalking A Married Upcoming Music Artist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.