Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,790 members, 7,820,774 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Your Complete Guide To Writing Poetry – 13 Powerful Tips On How To Write A Poem - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Your Complete Guide To Writing Poetry – 13 Powerful Tips On How To Write A Poem (291 Views)

"When Hunger Becomes Prayer" - A Poem By Precious Arinze / Leave Me Whole. - A Poem About Female Genital Mutilation. / STAINLESS (our Choice) -a Poem By Korede Isaac. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Your Complete Guide To Writing Poetry – 13 Powerful Tips On How To Write A Poem by Techgadge44(m): 1:57pm On Sep 04, 2020
Poetry is prose with a melody. It is rather easy to put down your ideas in prose writing, but with poetry writing, you need to express things that the human eye will often overlook.

Consider a four-year-old holding a lollipop at a mall.

One would normally see it as just a child with candy. But a poet would imagine the child smearing the candy all over his face and clothes while his mother isn’t looking. Then at the motherly instinct of supervising her child, she turns to see the baby smeared in pink from head to toe and as sticky as melted rubber, as she slowly turns red in anger.

This form of creative writing can appear quite challenging for beginners, but with our tips on how to write a poem, you have all the necessary tools to excel as a poem writer.

Tips on How To Write A Poem
Whether you want to be a full-time poet or you are interested in learning the art for your own pleasure, these tips will help you learn how to write poem.

1. Understand The Types Of Poetry
You probably didn’t know that poetry isn’t just one kind. There are three types of poetic writing styles with different structures:

Narrative Poetry – This poem has a well-defined narrative, much like a story or script. There is a plot as well as characters and a climax leading up to the finale.

Dramatic Poetry– This kind is meant to describe an event or a story.

Lyrical Poetry – This is the more common idea of poetry that people have. It flows almost like a song and is used to portray the author’s feeling or a particular imagination.

An example of lyrical poetry is taken from one of Shakespeare’s Sonnets

“Two loves I have of comfort and despair,

Which like two spirits do suggest me still

The better angel is a man right fair,

The worser spirit a woman coloured ill.

To win me soon to hell, my female evil

Tempteth my better angel from my side,

And would corrupt my saint to be a devil,

Wooing his purity with her foul pride.

And, whether that my angel be turn’d fiend,

Suspect I may, yet not directly tell,

But being both from me both to each friend,

I guess one angel in another’s hell.

Yet this shall I ne’er know, but live in doubt,

Till my bad angel fire my good one out.”

Shakespeare’s Sonnet 144
https://bookpublishingblog.com/2020/08/16/how-to-write-a-poem/
Re: Your Complete Guide To Writing Poetry – 13 Powerful Tips On How To Write A Poem by Nobody: 9:42am On Sep 05, 2020
Gosh. Shakespearean sonnets are the best. Thanks for this wonderful advice.

(1) (Reply)

Me And My Thoughts / Anfield / DADDY'S Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.