Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,374 members, 7,829,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Rulling On Bowing And Prostrating To Show Rrspect - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Rulling On Bowing And Prostrating To Show Rrspect (296 Views)

Church Members Seen Bowing Down And Scrambling To Touch Pastor Obinim Daughter / Rulling On Masturbation 2: The Stand Of The Catholic Church / Does Prostrating Or Bowing By Way Of Greeting Come Under The Heading Of Shirk? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rulling On Bowing And Prostrating To Show Rrspect by ayinde2020: 2:23pm On Sep 04, 2020
*Of bowing, genuflecting and prostrating to show respect… rulings and reflections (PART II)!!!*
By Imam Kamolud-deen Ajijolakewu
*But, is the prostration acceptable to show respect acceptable? In simpler terms, what is the jurisprudential ruling if prostration was done not for worship but to show regards and respect.?*
A painstaking study of the preponderance of available evidence had shown that prostration in greeting is no less than haram not makruuh (merely disliked). *It is a major sin with gravity in the same category as fornication, adultery, alcohol, collecting ribaa (Usury)*. This is balanced opinion supported by texts of the Qur,an, authentic evidence from the statement of the Prophet and the Ijmaa’. By implication, all forms of greetings or showing respect which requires bending or prostration, regardless of culture is prohibited. Since the showing of respect is a commandment from Allah, it is only correct to do it in the way pleasing to Him alone and never to appease any mortal. Do not forget that to please Allah-even if against oneself- is most desired (Q9 vs 62), and *that the people’s costume and/or emotions are very secondary, whenever Allah’s right is required.*
*Proof on the prohibition of prohibition*
Bowing in greeting is strictly prohibited based on evidences from the Glorious Qur’an, the authentic hadeeth, the ijmaa’ (consensus) and scholarly opinions.
*Al-Qur’an*: There are many verses in the Qur’an where Allah prohibits bowing to any creature. Some of these verses are general while some others are more specific about the subject matter. Just to mention a few. Allah says: “And among His signs are the night and day and the sun and moon. *Do not prostrate* to the sun or to the moon, but prostrate to Allah, who created them, if it should be Him that you worship” (Q41 vs 37). And He- glorified be He- says: “And that the masjids (places of worship; parts of the body) are for Allah, so do not invoke with Allah anyone” (Q72 vs 18). On this second verse, one the leaders of the Taabi’een and a student of Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “this verse was revealed concerning the parts of the body i.e. they are for Allah. So do not make sujud (prostration) with them to any other than Him. Tafseeru-l-Qur’ani-l-‘Azeem (4/608). *Although, sujud (prostration) is mentioned, it encompasses all forms of genuflections- such as ijtiyaath’alaa rukbah (kneeling), rukuu’ (bowing) and inhinaa’ (bending) which are meant to worship Allah.* This is because the linguistic context of the word sujuud comprises of all the other forms of genuflections. *Al-imam Qurtubiy said: “the beginning of sujuud is inhinaa (bending), and it peaks when the forehead is placed on the ground* Tafseerul Qurtubiy (1/200). This point will be further explained as we continue.
*Hadeeth*: There several authentic prophetic traditions which prohibit all forms of genuflections to show respect or homage for people. However, for time and space, I will only mention two one of which is uncommonly used for the subject matter and the other being used for other reasons, among people.
Qays bn Sa’d said: “I travelled to Al-Eerah (an ancient town on the outskirt of kuufa, Iraq). So I saw them prostrating (in respect) to Marzabaan (a Persian warrior usually next in command to the king). Then I said to myself, the Prophet is more entitled to this display of veneration. He said, then (on my return to Madeenah) I said to the Prophet, I travelled to Al-Eerah and I saw them prostrating (in respect) to their warrior but you are most entitled O! the messenger of Allah. On that… the Prophet said: “No do not, if I were to order anyone to prostrate (in show of respect) for another, I would have ordered women folk to prostrate (in respect) for their husbands, in view of their rights over her. Abu Dawud (2140); Ash-Shawkaani (1255dd) in Naylu-lAwtaar (6/362). Similar hadeeths with same wordings have been reported from other Sahaabah like Zayd Ibn Arqam (Silsilaul-Ahaadeethi-s-Saheehah by Albaani Hadeeth nos 3366; and Abu Hurayrah as collected by At-Tirmidhi (No 1159).
Ibn ‘Abbas narrated “that a man from the Ansaar had two camels. They became wild and he locked them between wall (fortress). Then he went to the Prophet requesting him to supplicate for him. He met the prophet while a group of his companion from among the Ansaar were with him. Then the man said” O prophet of Allah, I came in a need. My two camels had become wild, and I had locked them in a fortress. So, I want you to pray to Allah to subdue them for me. He told his companions “get up and come with us” He went till he got to the entrance, and one of the two camels was close to the door, then it saw the Prophet, it made sujud (prostrated) to him. Then the Prophet said “get me something to fasten his head to make you have control over it. He brought a noseband and saddled it with it and subdued it for him. Then he went to the end of the fortress to meet the second camel. When it saw him, it prostrated. Then, he told the man “get me something to fasten its head and make you have control over it. Then, he told the man “Don’t worry, they won’t disobey you anymore. When the companions of the Prophet saw that, they said O! Messenger of Allah, these are two senseless camels prostrating before you, so why won’t we? To that, the Prophet said “No, don’t do. I do not order anyone to prostrate (in respect) to another. If I were to order someone to prostrate before someone else, I would have ordered a lady to prostrate to her husband” Ibn Katheer in Al-Bidaayah wan-Nihaayah (6/142); Al-Haythamee (807d) in Majma’uz-Zawaahid (7/9). Graded authentic by Al-Imam Al-Albaani in Silsilaul-Ahaadeethi-s-Saheehah by Albaani Nos 3490
As you can see, *the first hadeeth clearly prohibits prostrations when greeting while the second hadeeth is more general to include, respect, show of appreciation, veneration and celebrations.* So, it is, because the companions did not intend to worship the Prophet. Shaykhul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah said: “It is well known that the Prophet did not say: “If I were to command anyone to be worshipped” because the Sahaabah did not intend to worship him. Majmuu‘u-l-Fataawa (4/360). The second hadeeth further clarifies that the word sujood is not restricted to prostrating face-down but encompasses kneeling and bowing. This is because, camels cannot prostrate in the manner by which human make sujud. It is practically impossible for camels to place its head on the ground. Based on this, Al-Imam Adh-Dhahabi said: “do you not see that the Sahaabah, in their great love for the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), said: Shouldn’t we prostrate to you? And he said no. If he had given them permission, they would have prostrated to him by way of honouring and showing respect, not by way of worship, as the brothers of Yuusuf (peace be upon him) prostrated to Yuusuf “. Mu‘jam ash-Shuyookh al-Kabeer (1/73).
*Ijmaa’* (Consensus of scholars). Ijma’ wherever and whenever established, then the position of Islam is that, it is not acceptable for anyone to differ, choose or strive to choose other opinion apart from the one which it conveys. Doing that, is a clear disbelief in the Prophet as it connotes belying him. The Prophet said “my nation will never be united on misguidance” (Hasan, Tirmidhi Hadeeth 2167). This is also the provision of Suuratun-Nisaa’ Q4 Vs 115. So, wherever or whenever established, a general consensus among the scholars is given same ruling and application as the Qur’an and Sunnah. *And it is not acceptable for anyone to revisit any matter about which consensus has been previously attained*.
* ﻭﻛﻞ ﺇﺟﻤﺎﻉ ﻓﺤﺠﺔ ﻋﻠﻰ # ﻣﻦ ﺑﻌﺪﻩ ﻓﻲ ﻛﻞ ﻋﺼﺮ ﺃﻗﺒﻼ *
Al-Imam Ibn Taymiyyah said: *The texts of the Sunnah and the consensus of the Ummah indicate that it is prohibited to prostrate to anyone other than Allah according to the law brought by our Prophet, whether by way of greeting or worship,* as the Prophet forbade Mu‘aadh ibn Jabal to prostrate to him when he came from Syrian and prostrated to him by way of greeting. Jaami‘ al-Masaa’il (1/25)
*Pious predecessors:* There are several incidences from the life of the companions and other pious predecessors to establish the prohibition of prostrations or bowing to show respect to anyone. I will be relating only one here, due to its importance in demystifying a misconception often advanced by the confused or some people of desire. Ibn Abee Shaybah reported that “a great man from the well-to-do non-Arab trader came on visitation to the leader of Muslim, ‘Umar Ibn Khattaab. On arrival, he was told that ‘Umar was outside of Madeenah. Then, he set out but met him (Umar) on his way back to Madeenah. On sighting Umar, he (the trader) prostrated (or made move to prostrate as was their custom). Instantly, Umar told him “raise your head for Allah, Al-Waahid Al-Qahhaar” Ibn Abii Shaybah (2/262)
*The positions of past and present scholars on prostration:* It is the Sunnah of Allah to choose from among men those that convey His Message to His servants warning from His punishment and giving glad tidings to the righteous. In this category are the Prophets and their heirs, the righteous scholars. The Prophet said: “Indeed the scholars are the heirs of the Prophets” (Abu Dawud Hadeeth 3641-3642). The scholars are custodian of Prophetic guidance and jurisprudential knowledge, they answer questions, clear doubt and indeed, they sign and approve of or disapprove matters, as professed by Al-Imam Ibnu-l-Qayyim, on behalf of Allah, based on their understanding of the Quran and Sunnah. Because, it falls within their jurisdiction, they have not but explained the correct Islamic position on bowing and related actions. Scholars abounds over generation and their position on prohibition of this subject matter has been crystal clear. Below are few of these scholars selected over generations and centuries.
1- An-Nawawi said (676 AH): What many of the ignorant do of prostrating before shaykhs *is definitely haraam*, in all cases, … *whether the intention is to prostrate to Allah*, may He be exalted, or it is done out of heedlessness. In some cases, it constitutes disbelief. Majmuu‘ Sharhi-l-Muhadhdhab (4/69).
2- Al-Imam Ibn Taymiyyah (728 AH). *As for droping the head (i.e bowing) before the elders* and others or kissing the floor and the likes, it is part of those issues about which *there is no disagreement among the scholars on its forbiddance.* Majmuu‘u-l-Fataawa (27/92)
3- Fakhr ad-Deen az-Zayla‘i (743AH): What they do *of prostrating before the scholars is haraam*, and the one who does that and the one who approves of it are sinning, because it resembles idol worship. Tabyeenu-l-Haqaa’iq (6/25)
4- Al-Imam Ibn Qayyim-l-Jawzeeyah (751 AH): The most honourable acts of worship are the ones of Salaat. The old people, the knowledgeable and the oppressor rulers have divided them among themselves such that, the old ones held on the greatest part of it, and that is prostration, while the knowledge claimers chose bowing (rukuu’) such that whenever they met one another they bow exactly (or closer to) the way they bow in Salaat. While the oppressors held on to standing such that the free/noble and the slaves would stand before them in servitude while they are seated. However, *the Messenger of Allah has forbidden these three manners in details…* Zaadu-l-Mi’aad (4/149)
5- Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem Aalush-Shaykh (1311 AH): *Bowing when greeting is haraam, if the intention is to greet the person.* If it is intended by way of worship, then it constitutes disbelief. Fataawa wa Rasaa’il ash-Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraheem Aalu-sh-Shaykh (1/109)
6- Ash-Shaykh Al-Albaani (1420 AH): While establishing the authenticity of the Hadeeth by Anas, he said: “…This is because the Sahaabah that asked about hugging did not asked about conditional events as rightly proclaimed, rather they meant hugging when greeting others as *they have asked about bowing and handshaking.* They actually meant (to asked about their permissibility) when greeting. *But he did not permit any of these acts except handshaking...*(Silsilaul-Ahaadeethi-s-Saheehah ( 1/300).
7- Ash-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen(1421 AH): “It is not right for anyone to make prostration or bow for another *even if he does not intend worship, because bowing is apparently prohibited by the Messenger of Allah.* So, if anybody who is ignorant of this ruling meets you and bow for you, you should advise, guide and inform him of its impermissibility. Do not bow or exalt any being other than Allah”. Sharh Riyaadis-Saaliheen (3/45-46)
The list continues on and on of the past, recent past and contemporary scholars. *Their position is very clear and unambiguous that it is haram to prostrate and bow in show of respect, even if it is not done with the aim of worship. It is also crystal clear that the perpetrator has committed grievous and major sin.* It is important to note also that, they have not arrived at this position because they were born out no parent nor because they do not belong to communities where the practice is done; rather because of their zeal to pass on the undiluted message of the Islam and to free people from the grip of Shaytaan even at the expense of the consternations from the confused few in their respective communities. *The surprising thing here is however that, despite the clear positions of the scholars, Shaytaan never loose grip.* Thus, the persistence of the scholars to continuously explain the position of Sharee’ah. I must also note that the scholars are never united on falsehood and that they are conscious of customs of their various communities. *It is also note-worthy that the opinions of the great scholars are also expressed by reputable local, sorry, national scholars including Sheikh Kamaal Al-Adaby in several audios and Sheikh Adam Al-Iloori in some of his books (Al-Islaam Wa taqaaleed Al-Jaahiliyyah Pg 157; 162-163)*. It only behove of real students of knowledge to follow their righteous paths in taking position regarding religious matters.
Dear readers, *from all the incontrovertible evidences, it should be crystal clear to you that the prohibitions on bowing, prostration and other genuflections to pay homage and show respect is absolute in its self*. In other words, these acts were not prohibited just because they could lead to greater sin, Shirk; but because the acts are strictly prohibited. However, if they eventually lead to greater sins, then other rulings will be applicable. Scholars says, “the means take the same ruling as the targets”.
*Are you still confused about the ruling on prostration while greeting?*
I suppose that the above incontrovertible evidences are enough to provide succour for any inquiring mind who wishes to know the truth. I also suppose that, you, honourable reader, are convinced- not confused- about the Islamic ruling on bowing to show respect or when greeting.
Re: Rulling On Bowing And Prostrating To Show Rrspect by motayoayinde: 7:13pm On Sep 04, 2020
ayinde2020:
*Of bowing, genuflecting and prostrating to show respect… rulings and reflections (PART II)!!!*
By Imam Kamolud-deen Ajijolakewu
*But, is the prostration acceptable to show respect acceptable? In simpler terms, what is the jurisprudential ruling if prostration was done not for worship but to show regards and respect.?*
A painstaking study of the preponderance of available evidence had shown that prostration in greeting is no less than haram not makruuh (merely disliked). *It is a major sin with gravity in the same category as fornication, adultery, alcohol, collecting ribaa (Usury)*. This is balanced opinion supported by texts of the Qur,an, authentic evidence from the statement of the Prophet and the Ijmaa’. By implication, all forms of greetings or showing respect which requires bending or prostration, regardless of culture is prohibited. Since the showing of respect is a commandment from Allah, it is only correct to do it in the way pleasing to Him alone and never to appease any mortal. Do not forget that to please Allah-even if against oneself- is most desired (Q9 vs 62), and *that the people’s costume and/or emotions are very secondary, whenever Allah’s right is required.*
*Proof on the prohibition of prohibition*
Bowing in greeting is strictly prohibited based on evidences from the Glorious Qur’an, the authentic hadeeth, the ijmaa’ (consensus) and scholarly opinions.
*Al-Qur’an*: There are many verses in the Qur’an where Allah prohibits bowing to any creature. Some of these verses are general while some others are more specific about the subject matter. Just to mention a few. Allah says: “And among His signs are the night and day and the sun and moon. *Do not prostrate* to the sun or to the moon, but prostrate to Allah, who created them, if it should be Him that you worship” (Q41 vs 37). And He- glorified be He- says: “And that the masjids (places of worship; parts of the body) are for Allah, so do not invoke with Allah anyone” (Q72 vs 18). On this second verse, one the leaders of the Taabi’een and a student of Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “this verse was revealed concerning the parts of the body i.e. they are for Allah. So do not make sujud (prostration) with them to any other than Him. Tafseeru-l-Qur’ani-l-‘Azeem (4/608). *Although, sujud (prostration) is mentioned, it encompasses all forms of genuflections- such as ijtiyaath’alaa rukbah (kneeling), rukuu’ (bowing) and inhinaa’ (bending) which are meant to worship Allah.* This is because the linguistic context of the word sujuud comprises of all the other forms of genuflections. *Al-imam Qurtubiy said: “the beginning of sujuud is inhinaa (bending), and it peaks when the forehead is placed on the ground* Tafseerul Qurtubiy (1/200). This point will be further explained as we continue.
*Hadeeth*: There several authentic prophetic traditions which prohibit all forms of genuflections to show respect or homage for people. However, for time and space, I will only mention two one of which is uncommonly used for the subject matter and the other being used for other reasons, among people.
Qays bn Sa’d said: “I travelled to Al-Eerah (an ancient town on the outskirt of kuufa, Iraq). So I saw them prostrating (in respect) to Marzabaan (a Persian warrior usually next in command to the king). Then I said to myself, the Prophet is more entitled to this display of veneration. He said, then (on my return to Madeenah) I said to the Prophet, I travelled to Al-Eerah and I saw them prostrating (in respect) to their warrior but you are most entitled O! the messenger of Allah. On that… the Prophet said: “No do not, if I were to order anyone to prostrate (in show of respect) for another, I would have ordered women folk to prostrate (in respect) for their husbands, in view of their rights over her. Abu Dawud (2140); Ash-Shawkaani (1255dd) in Naylu-lAwtaar (6/362). Similar hadeeths with same wordings have been reported from other Sahaabah like Zayd Ibn Arqam (Silsilaul-Ahaadeethi-s-Saheehah by Albaani Hadeeth nos 3366; and Abu Hurayrah as collected by At-Tirmidhi (No 1159).
Ibn ‘Abbas narrated “that a man from the Ansaar had two camels. They became wild and he locked them between wall (fortress). Then he went to the Prophet requesting him to supplicate for him. He met the prophet while a group of his companion from among the Ansaar were with him. Then the man said” O prophet of Allah, I came in a need. My two camels had become wild, and I had locked them in a fortress. So, I want you to pray to Allah to subdue them for me. He told his companions “get up and come with us” He went till he got to the entrance, and one of the two camels was close to the door, then it saw the Prophet, it made sujud (prostrated) to him. Then the Prophet said “get me something to fasten his head to make you have control over it. He brought a noseband and saddled it with it and subdued it for him. Then he went to the end of the fortress to meet the second camel. When it saw him, it prostrated. Then, he told the man “get me something to fasten its head and make you have control over it. Then, he told the man “Don’t worry, they won’t disobey you anymore. When the companions of the Prophet saw that, they said O! Messenger of Allah, these are two senseless camels prostrating before you, so why won’t we? To that, the Prophet said “No, don’t do. I do not order anyone to prostrate (in respect) to another. If I were to order someone to prostrate before someone else, I would have ordered a lady to prostrate to her husband” Ibn Katheer in Al-Bidaayah wan-Nihaayah (6/142); Al-Haythamee (807d) in Majma’uz-Zawaahid (7/9). Graded authentic by Al-Imam Al-Albaani in Silsilaul-Ahaadeethi-s-Saheehah by Albaani Nos 3490
As you can see, *the first hadeeth clearly prohibits prostrations when greeting while the second hadeeth is more general to include, respect, show of appreciation, veneration and celebrations.* So, it is, because the companions did not intend to worship the Prophet. Shaykhul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah said: “It is well known that the Prophet did not say: “If I were to command anyone to be worshipped” because the Sahaabah did not intend to worship him. Majmuu‘u-l-Fataawa (4/360). The second hadeeth further clarifies that the word sujood is not restricted to prostrating face-down but encompasses kneeling and bowing. This is because, camels cannot prostrate in the manner by which human make sujud. It is practically impossible for camels to place its head on the ground. Based on this, Al-Imam Adh-Dhahabi said: “do you not see that the Sahaabah, in their great love for the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), said: Shouldn’t we prostrate to you? And he said no. If he had given them permission, they would have prostrated to him by way of honouring and showing respect, not by way of worship, as the brothers of Yuusuf (peace be upon him) prostrated to Yuusuf “. Mu‘jam ash-Shuyookh al-Kabeer (1/73).
*Ijmaa’* (Consensus of scholars). Ijma’ wherever and whenever established, then the position of Islam is that, it is not acceptable for anyone to differ, choose or strive to choose other opinion apart from the one which it conveys. Doing that, is a clear disbelief in the Prophet as it connotes belying him. The Prophet said “my nation will never be united on misguidance” (Hasan, Tirmidhi Hadeeth 2167). This is also the provision of Suuratun-Nisaa’ Q4 Vs 115. So, wherever or whenever established, a general consensus among the scholars is given same ruling and application as the Qur’an and Sunnah. *And it is not acceptable for anyone to revisit any matter about which consensus has been previously attained*.
* ﻭﻛﻞ ﺇﺟﻤﺎﻉ ﻓﺤﺠﺔ ﻋﻠﻰ # ﻣﻦ ﺑﻌﺪﻩ ﻓﻲ ﻛﻞ ﻋﺼﺮ ﺃﻗﺒﻼ *
Al-Imam Ibn Taymiyyah said: *The texts of the Sunnah and the consensus of the Ummah indicate that it is prohibited to prostrate to anyone other than Allah according to the law brought by our Prophet, whether by way of greeting or worship,* as the Prophet forbade Mu‘aadh ibn Jabal to prostrate to him when he came from Syrian and prostrated to him by way of greeting. Jaami‘ al-Masaa’il (1/25)
*Pious predecessors:* There are several incidences from the life of the companions and other pious predecessors to establish the prohibition of prostrations or bowing to show respect to anyone. I will be relating only one here, due to its importance in demystifying a misconception often advanced by the confused or some people of desire. Ibn Abee Shaybah reported that “a great man from the well-to-do non-Arab trader came on visitation to the leader of Muslim, ‘Umar Ibn Khattaab. On arrival, he was told that ‘Umar was outside of Madeenah. Then, he set out but met him (Umar) on his way back to Madeenah. On sighting Umar, he (the trader) prostrated (or made move to prostrate as was their custom). Instantly, Umar told him “raise your head for Allah, Al-Waahid Al-Qahhaar” Ibn Abii Shaybah (2/262)
*The positions of past and present scholars on prostration:* It is the Sunnah of Allah to choose from among men those that convey His Message to His servants warning from His punishment and giving glad tidings to the righteous. In this category are the Prophets and their heirs, the righteous scholars. The Prophet said: “Indeed the scholars are the heirs of the Prophets” (Abu Dawud Hadeeth 3641-3642). The scholars are custodian of Prophetic guidance and jurisprudential knowledge, they answer questions, clear doubt and indeed, they sign and approve of or disapprove matters, as professed by Al-Imam Ibnu-l-Qayyim, on behalf of Allah, based on their understanding of the Quran and Sunnah. Because, it falls within their jurisdiction, they have not but explained the correct Islamic position on bowing and related actions. Scholars abounds over generation and their position on prohibition of this subject matter has been crystal clear. Below are few of these scholars selected over generations and centuries.
1- An-Nawawi said (676 AH): What many of the ignorant do of prostrating before shaykhs *is definitely haraam*, in all cases, … *whether the intention is to prostrate to Allah*, may He be exalted, or it is done out of heedlessness. In some cases, it constitutes disbelief. Majmuu‘ Sharhi-l-Muhadhdhab (4/69).
2- Al-Imam Ibn Taymiyyah (728 AH). *As for droping the head (i.e bowing) before the elders* and others or kissing the floor and the likes, it is part of those issues about which *there is no disagreement among the scholars on its forbiddance.* Majmuu‘u-l-Fataawa (27/92)
3- Fakhr ad-Deen az-Zayla‘i (743AH): What they do *of prostrating before the scholars is haraam*, and the one who does that and the one who approves of it are sinning, because it resembles idol worship. Tabyeenu-l-Haqaa’iq (6/25)
4- Al-Imam Ibn Qayyim-l-Jawzeeyah (751 AH): The most honourable acts of worship are the ones of Salaat. The old people, the knowledgeable and the oppressor rulers have divided them among themselves such that, the old ones held on the greatest part of it, and that is prostration, while the knowledge claimers chose bowing (rukuu’) such that whenever they met one another they bow exactly (or closer to) the way they bow in Salaat. While the oppressors held on to standing such that the free/noble and the slaves would stand before them in servitude while they are seated. However, *the Messenger of Allah has forbidden these three manners in details…* Zaadu-l-Mi’aad (4/149)
5- Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem Aalush-Shaykh (1311 AH): *Bowing when greeting is haraam, if the intention is to greet the person.* If it is intended by way of worship, then it constitutes disbelief. Fataawa wa Rasaa’il ash-Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraheem Aalu-sh-Shaykh (1/109)
6- Ash-Shaykh Al-Albaani (1420 AH): While establishing the authenticity of the Hadeeth by Anas, he said: “…This is because the Sahaabah that asked about hugging did not asked about conditional events as rightly proclaimed, rather they meant hugging when greeting others as *they have asked about bowing and handshaking.* They actually meant (to asked about their permissibility) when greeting. *But he did not permit any of these acts except handshaking...*(Silsilaul-Ahaadeethi-s-Saheehah ( 1/300).
7- Ash-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen(1421 AH): “It is not right for anyone to make prostration or bow for another *even if he does not intend worship, because bowing is apparently prohibited by the Messenger of Allah.* So, if anybody who is ignorant of this ruling meets you and bow for you, you should advise, guide and inform him of its impermissibility. Do not bow or exalt any being other than Allah”. Sharh Riyaadis-Saaliheen (3/45-46)
The list continues on and on of the past, recent past and contemporary scholars. *Their position is very clear and unambiguous that it is haram to prostrate and bow in show of respect, even if it is not done with the aim of worship. It is also crystal clear that the perpetrator has committed grievous and major sin.* It is important to note also that, they have not arrived at this position because they were born out no parent nor because they do not belong to communities where the practice is done; rather because of their zeal to pass on the undiluted message of the Islam and to free people from the grip of Shaytaan even at the expense of the consternations from the confused few in their respective communities. *The surprising thing here is however that, despite the clear positions of the scholars, Shaytaan never loose grip.* Thus, the persistence of the scholars to continuously explain the position of Sharee’ah. I must also note that the scholars are never united on falsehood and that they are conscious of customs of their various communities. *It is also note-worthy that the opinions of the great scholars are also expressed by reputable local, sorry, national scholars including Sheikh Kamaal Al-Adaby in several audios and Sheikh Adam Al-Iloori in some of his books (Al-Islaam Wa taqaaleed Al-Jaahiliyyah Pg 157; 162-163)*. It only behove of real students of knowledge to follow their righteous paths in taking position regarding religious matters.
Dear readers, *from all the incontrovertible evidences, it should be crystal clear to you that the prohibitions on bowing, prostration and other genuflections to pay homage and show respect is absolute in its self*. In other words, these acts were not prohibited just because they could lead to greater sin, Shirk; but because the acts are strictly prohibited. However, if they eventually lead to greater sins, then other rulings will be applicable. Scholars says, “the means take the same ruling as the targets”.
*Are you still confused about the ruling on prostration while greeting?*
I suppose that the above incontrovertible evidences are enough to provide succour for any inquiring mind who wishes to know the truth. I also suppose that, you, honourable reader, are convinced- not confused- about the Islamic ruling on bowing to show respect or when greeting.
BAARAKALLAHU FEEKA YAA USTAZ.

(1) (Reply)

"When My Heart Is Overwhelmed: Lead Me To The Rock / Archbishop Condemns Priest For Performing A Sex Act On His Church's Altar / God Reveals How Angels Of Darkness Take Over Every Part Of The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.