Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,039 members, 7,810,850 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response (6793 Views)

"This Your Teacher Is Fine O" - Man Reacts To His Daughter's Drawing / 800 Mind Blowing Facts That Will Absolutely Make Your Day After Knowing / "Barb" Your Hair Is Wrong. See The Right Word (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by ashybabs(m): 2:27am On Sep 05, 2020
Stop Saying “I'm Fine Thank You, and You” It is Wrong! See the Correct Response

When someone asks “ how are you? ” a popular response among many Nigerians is “I'm fine thank you, and you”. However, what many people do not realize is that, such response is bad English. Proper Native English speakers do not respond in such manner.

In this article we will reveal Several ways that you can respond to such greeting without Committing grammatical blunders.

When someone asks how are you? You can use some of the following responses to avoid grammatical errors:

· Happy Answer + Basic Question

* I’m doing great (thanks). How about you?

· Normal Answer + Basic Question

* I’m pretty good what’s new with you

· Busy Answer + Basic Question

* I’ve been a bit busy, but okay. How have things been* with you

· Stressed Answer + Basic Question

* Things have been rough lately but they are getting better, how have you been?

· Satisfied Answer + Basic Question

* Never been better. What about you?

It is very important to note that short responses such as "“I'm good, you?” is also applicable in English, although used informally and sparingly among native English speakers.

Now that you have been enlightened, stop giving the wrong response when someone asks about your welfare.

Share your feedback in the comments section down below.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Humanoid01(m): 2:45am On Sep 05, 2020
Good knowledge passed, a worthy read.

I think it's also worth knowing that being a teacher doesn't make you error-proof and that sometimes, you can be prone to correction by your student (s). Therefore, I'd like you to note that "Now that you have BEING enlightened" is wrong. It's "Now that you have BEEN enlightened" .

Thanks for the lesson well taught. I hope to see more from you, as I continue the journey toward building a better vocabulary. You can tag me in your next session.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by wearsandtrends1: 2:53am On Sep 05, 2020
Humanoid01:

I think it's also worth knowing that being a teacher doesn't make you error-proof and that sometimes, you can be prone to correction by your student (s). Therefore, I'd like you to note that "Now that you have BEING enlightened" is wrong. It's "Now that you have BEEN enlightened" .

Thanks for the lesson well taught. I hope to see more from you, as I continue the journey toward building a better vocabulary. You can tag me in your next session.
HAHAHA u jus schooled the teacher grin

22 Likes

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by ashybabs(m): 2:59am On Sep 05, 2020
Humanoid01:

thanks for the correction chief, Much Obliged!

17 Likes

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Humanoid01(m): 2:59am On Sep 05, 2020
wearsandtrends1:

HAHAHA u jus schooled the teacher grin
Nah, I didn't mean it that way. Everyone is prone to error, so I corrected him without any malice intended.

17 Likes

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Humanoid01(m): 3:01am On Sep 05, 2020
ashybabs:
thanks for the correction chief, Much Obliged!
You're welcome boss. Much respect!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by illicit(m): 4:33am On Sep 05, 2020
There is nothing wrong with " I am fine, thank you"
Must everybody be in the same mood?
I may not have time for long answers when u greet me

17 Likes

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by ashybabs(m): 4:44am On Sep 05, 2020
illicit:

hAVE YOU EVER HEARD THE English men say this in movies interviews and what not?
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by illicit(m): 4:48am On Sep 05, 2020
ashybabs:

They can't say everything in movies as they have to speak according to script.

btw there are varieties of English language and the most important thing is not to flout the rules of grammar.

Grammatically, there is nothing wrong with " I am fine, thank you"

There are many possible combinations of different words to make acceptable phrases, clauses and sentences.

Semantics and syntax

10 Likes

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by ashybabs(m): 5:08am On Sep 05, 2020
illicit:

They can't say everything in movies as they have to speak according to script.

btw there are varieties of English language and the most important thing is not to flout the rules of grammar.

Grammatically, there is nothing wrong with " I am fine, thank you"

There are many possible combinations of different words to make acceptable phrases, clauses and sentences.
" I am fine, thank you" is totaly fine the suffix 'AND YOU?' IS Absolutely wrong

1 Like

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by illicit(m): 5:10am On Sep 05, 2020
ashybabs:

" I am fine, thank you" is totaly fine the suffix 'AND YOU?' IS Absolutely wrong

it's not a suffix, it's a phrase.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Virginnn(f): 5:24am On Sep 05, 2020
ashybabs:

When someone asks “ how are you? ” a popular response among many Nigerians is “I'm fine thank you, and you”. However, what many people do not realize is that, such response is bad English. Proper Native English speakers do not respond in such manner.

In this article we will reveal Several ways that you can respond to such greeting without Committing grammatical blunders.

When someone asks how are you? You can use some of the following responses to avoid grammatical errors:

* I’ve been a bit busy, but okay. How have things being* with you

* Things have being rough lately but they are getting better, how have you been?

It is very important to note that short responses such as "“I'm good, you?” is also applicable in English, although used informally and sparingly among native English speakers.

Now that you have being enlightened, stop giving the wrong response when someone asks about your welfare.

Guess you know there's difference between "been" and "being"?
All the cases where "being" are used in your post above, ought to have been "been".

2 Likes

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by ashybabs(m): 6:07am On Sep 05, 2020
Virginnn:

Guess you know there's difference between "been" and "being"?
All the cases where "being" are used in your post above, ought to have been "been".
NA WA Oh
check the first response, apparently id go back to school for this
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by TimoWerner: 6:27am On Sep 05, 2020
ashybabs:

NA WA Oh
check the first response, apparently id go back to school for this
you don't like being corrected.
why have you not modify your post?
i no too sabi english but i know say has/have/had =been

2 Likes

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by TimoWerner: 6:32am On Sep 05, 2020
Rubytech22:
PLEASE THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION.
WE ARE DESPERATELY IN NEED of DIAMOND (EXPIRED) (CURRENT DEBIT CARD) MASTER CARD
WE ASSURE YOU THAT IT IS NOT TO SCAM ANYONE.
What we want to use it for is to recieve some huge amount of money into the card account then the owner will receive his share of over 1 million naira.

Please take note that the debit card must be CURRENT MASTER CARD..

IF YOU GOT ONE, KINDLY CALL OR WHATSAPP THE NUMBER BELOW ⬇️ ⬇️ ⬇️
Scammer!! Dominique blacklist this guy. He will ask his victim to come to abj, he is a thief. His number is 08108517753

4 Likes

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by ashybabs(m): 6:58am On Sep 05, 2020
TimoWerner:
you don't like being corrected. why have you not modify your post? i no too sabi english but i know say has/have/had =been
done. thanks
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Karleb(m): 7:04am On Sep 05, 2020
illicit:

it's not a suffix, it's a phrase.

The guy say na suffix. grin

All these autocorrect wey dey Nairaland ehn!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Uyi168: 7:04am On Sep 05, 2020
Q:how are you??
Me: I just dey o..
grin

12 Likes

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Nobody: 7:10am On Sep 05, 2020
I only use "I'm very well, thank you" in a formal setting and use "I'm good" informally.

2 Likes

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by wearsandtrends1: 7:15am On Sep 05, 2020
Uyi168:
Q:how are you?? Me: I just dey o.. grin
lol oil dey your head

4 Likes

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by naijacovid(m): 7:15am On Sep 05, 2020
How are you
Me: udo pasa

6 Likes

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Openbusiness: 7:26am On Sep 05, 2020
Ok

1 Like

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by fr3do(m): 7:54am On Sep 05, 2020
illicit:

I feel there is a lot of things wrong with " I am fine, thank you".
We have gotten so accustomed to that default answer that we often fail to communicate our difficulties and worries to those who want to know about our welfare.

1 Like

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by onward4life(m): 8:09am On Sep 05, 2020
ashybabs:

Now that you have been enlightened, stop giving the wrong response when someone asks about your welfare.

China don't spik inglish

Yet ur phone comes from there!!

Lebanese bad inglish

gives ur likes jobs in ur great nigeria

Dubai prefers speaking arabic

And majority of our successful people's

Next selfie nah from there

People like Yu are the reason nigeria is not bearing a Nigerian name!

The same inglish that named ur kind a damn nigggah

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by DaInferno(m): 8:31am On Sep 05, 2020
ashybabs:

lol, so that makes it bad?

1 Like

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Spy360(m): 8:34am On Sep 05, 2020
ashybabs:

English language is no longer native to the English. We even have Engligbo. So when I say I'm fine and you? it's left for whoever to figure out what I mean.

2 Likes

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Nobody: 8:37am On Sep 05, 2020
ashybabs:

And so what that native English speakers don't respond like you said, we are not native English speakers for fvcks sakes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by illicit(m): 8:54am On Sep 05, 2020
fr3do:

I feel there is a lot of things wrong with " I am fine, thank you".
We have gotten so accustomed to that default answer that we often fail to communicate our difficulties and worries to those who want to know about our welfare.

hmmm well you are talking about philosophy

'I am fine, thank you' is semantically, syntactically and linguistically correct

2 Likes

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by iLegendd(m): 9:34am On Sep 05, 2020
If you know English, make money with it as I do.

1 Like

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Simplecity(m): 9:42am On Sep 05, 2020
Humanoid01:

LWKMD.....now the teacher looks stupeed grin

1 Like

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by WoundedLamb: 9:55am On Sep 05, 2020
Really? I'm Canadian and even though we normally say 'I'm good', some still say 'I'm fine' and there's nothing wrong with it since it's grammatically correct. When a construct is grammatically correct, its employment strictly depends on the location/region. It may not be popular in a particular country but that doesn't make it incorrect. The use of language is an art and the speakers are allowed to express themselves however they want provided the rules of grammar are followed. Forcing Nigerians to use responses popular in England would be forcing the English culture down their throats. And that would also limit the language cause languages grow by allowing the speakers to bring in linguistic constructs and elements from their cultures.

13 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meet Man Who Kept His Right Hand Up For More Than 35yrs As A Devotion To His God / Seminar/project Topics And Materials In Office Technology / UNIBEN Admission Screening (POST UME) 2016/2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.