Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,241 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

“what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? (959 Views)

This Lady Claims She Is Going To Hell Fire And So Proud Of It ( Photos ) / See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday / Every Church-Goer Is Automatically A Child Of God. How True Is This Statement? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

“what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by REPOMAN(m): 2:48pm On Feb 22, 2011
“What is Going to Be is Going to Be” How True is This Statement?

Is it true that anything that will happen will definitely happen or do we have power to change what God has pronounced to happen either good or bad.

For example, the life of Esau and Jacob; could Esau had been able to change his Destiny?

Please send in your response.

Thanks
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by Image123(m): 4:05pm On Feb 22, 2011
Whatever might have been before, God has made a way and since the days of John baptist, the kingdom of God suffers violence and the violent take it by force. God has not left us without a witness, we have no excuse.
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by Joagbaje(m): 6:57am On Feb 23, 2011
We are responsible for our lives. The will of God may not come to pass , if Nan doesn't do his part.
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by newmi(m): 10:31am On Feb 23, 2011
Deuteronomy 30:19
"l call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that l have set before you life and death, death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live"

God's greatest gift to mankind is "choice" but be that as it may, God is always a very present help in times of need
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by vescucci(m): 11:21am On Feb 23, 2011
The statement is true because it cannot be a lie. It's a truism. Since there's no way to know what will be, what will be will be when it has been, lol.
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by REPOMAN(m): 12:53pm On Feb 26, 2011
Hello Readers,

Thanks so much for your response concerning the aforementioned Topic.
Well, What is going to be is not really going to be if only you allow it to be.
Some of your responses are really wonderful.
As one of the responses (Newmi) said in Deut 30:19 that God had set before us good and bad. so whichever one you choose is your choice.

Remember, the Bible says in Prov 18:21 "that LIFE and DEATH are in the power of your tongue". so if you speak life you get LIFE and if you speak death you get DEATH. That is not God responsibility anymore. He had given you the power to control our world.

Besides, there's a king called Hezikiah (Ish 38) that God Said he would die through a prophet, but the king argued his case with God and God gave him an additional 15years. Is that not wonderful!

"what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be" is not a true statement for a child of God.
Your life is in your hands.

Deut 29:29 says 'the secret things belong to God but the things he revealed to us belong to his children"

That means Isaac would have done something for Esau to changed his Destiny because God revealed it to him, so he could change it.

Thanks once again to Newmi, Joagbaje, Image123, Vescucci for your responses.
God Bless you.
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Feb 26, 2011
To add to this. 'What will be' may be
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by Mitchelin(m): 9:58pm On Feb 26, 2011
A man's destiny is in his own hands, this does not exclude the believe in divine providence though, this be my two cents on the matter.
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by 5solas(m): 7:04pm On Feb 27, 2011
An ancient Confession of Faith runs thus:

“God, from all eternity, did, by the most wise and holy counsel of his own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass; yet so, as thereby neither is God the author of sin, nor is violence offered to the will of the creatures; nor is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established”
(http://www.reformed.org/documents/wcf_with_proofs/index.html?body=/documents/wcf_with_proofs/ch_III.html)

Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by cescky(m): 5:14pm On Mar 02, 2011
@ repoman

i was about to travel to another part of nigeria for the very first time, i was called by a lady prophet( whose church i dont attend, but she knows my family)( she told me certain stuff only me knew about myself) she told me to be very careful of my friends as per where i was going to , long story short
if not for Gods[b] GRACE AND MERCY [/b], i would truly have died in that place, I heeded her advise for a while, though along the line i put it behind me and lo and behold i follwed a lady friend not knowing i was being left to the slaughter.

basically if ur ways are right with him, when He forsees ur entering into danger ( by error or tempatation or some other way ) God sends people, dreams etc to let u know and warn u.

but if u decide whole heartedly to plunge into evil( especially after knowing God) OYO

so yes, what is going to be may be and may not be. the bible says"CHOSE YOU WHOM THIS DAY WHO YOU SHALL FOLLOW GOD OR THE DEVIL"
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by Image123(m): 11:16pm On Mar 02, 2011
If what's gonna be is gonna be, it will be most ridiculous to WATCH AND PRAY.
what say ye 5solas,i neva forget ouR thread e, no mind My Lazinity
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by 5solas(m): 10:38pm On Mar 10, 2011
Of course what is going to be is going to be. it does not prevent us from doing what we should do. We do not even know what is going to be until it happens. This is enough to keep us from fatalism.

The scriptures, logic , experience all testify to predestination and it is different from FATE.
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by Image123(m): 11:16pm On Mar 10, 2011
5solas
As short as possible, please what is PREDESTINATION and what is FATE?
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by mabell: 11:17pm On Mar 10, 2011
what  is  going  to  be  is  not  going  to be
when  God  created  man,  he  created  him  with  a  free  will.
In  as  much  as  God  has  a  major  role  to  play  in  our  lives,  we  have  choices  to  make  too
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by 5solas(m): 11:23pm On Mar 10, 2011
@image .

Jesus knew He was going to be crucified, inevitably so; yet, He watched and prayed and encouraged His disciples to watch with Him.

'What is going to be is going to be' is VERY true. If our Lord knowing the future, yet nonetheless prays about it; how much more should we pray about the future that we do not know about.
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by 5solas(m): 11:38pm On Mar 10, 2011
@Image.

Predestination is a Biblical concept while Fate is not.
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by 5solas(m): 12:13am On Mar 11, 2011
@Mabell.
[Quote]

What is going to be is not going to be

[/Quote]

With all due respect, the above is a blatant contradiction.
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by mabell: 10:01pm On Mar 12, 2011
we can change things from what there were supposed to be
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by 5solas(m): 11:40pm On Mar 12, 2011
One day, some years ago, I was thinking about predestination and if it was true.Knowing that it was supported by the concept of foreknowledge, I tried to find something to do, something I could be sure God did not know about before the performance, I found no such thing.

Now I say with the psalmist;

[Quote]
1 O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me.
2[b] Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways
4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.[/b]
5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.
7 ¶ Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
17 ¶ How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!
18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

Psalm139:1-18

[/quote]
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by Image123(m): 3:37pm On Mar 14, 2011
Jesus knew He was going to be crucified, inevitably so; yet, He watched and prayed
i beg to disagree on the bolded 'inevitably'. Jesus learned obedience and submitted Himself to God's will for Him to be crucified, that's why He was crucified, it wasN't inevitable.
I asked and i'm still asking for a concise meaning/definition of 'fate' and of 'predestination'.
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by 5solas(m): 9:10am On Mar 15, 2011
^^^ grin grin grin
Re: “what Is Going To Be Is Going To Be” How True Is This Statement? by 5solas(m): 9:23pm On Mar 25, 2011
Image123:

I asked and i'm still asking for a concise meaning/definition of 'fate' and of 'predestination'.
The following article extracted from the book, ''The Reformed Doctrine Of Predestination'' by Loraine Boettner, gives some insights to your question.
[Quote]
Chapter XV - That It Is Fatalism
Much misunderstanding arises through confusing the Christian Doctrine of Predestination with the heathen doctrine of Fatalism. There is, in reality, only one point of agreement between the two, which is, that both assume the absolute certainty of all future events. The essential difference between them is that Fatalism has no place for a personal God. Predestination holds that events come to pass because an infinitely wise, powerful, and holy God has so appointed them. Fatalism holds that all events come to pass through the working of a blind, unintelligent, impersonal, non-moral force which cannot be distinguished from physical necessity, and which carries us helplessly within its grasp as mighty river carries a piece of wood.

Predestination teaches that from eternity God has had one unified plan or purpose which He is bringing to perfection through this world order of events. It holds that all of His decrees are rational determinations founded on sufficient reason, and that He has fixed one great goal "toward which the whole creation moves." Predestination holds that the ends designed in this plan are first, the glory of God; and second, the good of His people. On the other hand Fatalism excludes the idea of final causes. It snatches the reins of universal empire from the hands of infinite wisdom and love, and gives them into the hands of a blind necessity. It attributes the course of nature and the experiences of man-kind to an unknown, irresistible force, against which it is vain to struggle and childish to repine.

According to the doctrine of Predestination the freedom and responsibility of man are fully preserved. In the midst of certainty God has ordained human liberty. But Fatalism allows no power of choice, no self-determination. It makes the acts of man to be as utterly beyond his control as are the laws of nature. personal, abstract power, has no room for moral ideas, while Predestination makes these the rule of action for God and man. Fatalism has no place for and offers no incentives to religion, love, mercy, holiness, justice, or wisdom, while Predestination gives these the strongest conceivable basis. And lastly, Fatalism leads to skepticism and despair, while Predestination sets forth the glories of God and of His kingdom in all their splendor and gives an assurance which nothing can shake.

Predestination therefore differs from Fatalism as much as the acts of a man differ from those of a machine, or as much as the unfailing love of the heavenly Father differs from the force of gravitation. "It reveals to us," says Smith, "the glorious truth that our lives and our sensitive hearts are held, not in the iron cog-wheels of a vast and pitiless Fate, nor in the whirling loom of a crazy Chance, but in the almighty hands of an infinitely good and wise God."1

Calvin emphatically repudiated the charge that his doctrine was Fatalism. "Fate," says he, "is a term given by the Stoics to their doctrine of necessity, which they had formed out of a labyrinth of contradictory reasonings; a doctrine calculated to call God Himself to order, and to set Him laws whereby to work. Predestination I define to be, according to the Holy Scriptures, that free and unfettered counsel of God by which He rules all mankind, and all men and things, and also all parts and particles of the world by His infinite wisdom and incomprehensible justice." And again, ", , had you but been willing to look into my books, you would have been convinced at once how offensive to me is the profane term fate: nay, you would have learned that this same abhorrent term was cast in the teeth of Augustine by his opponents."2

Luther says that the doctrine of Fatalism among the heathen is a proof that "the knowledge of Predestination and of the prescience of God, was no less left in the world than the notion of divinity itself." 3 In the history of philosophy Materialism has proven itself essentially fatalistic. Pan theism also has been strongly tinged with it.

No man can be a consistent fatalist. For to be consistent he would have to reason something like this: "If I am to die today, it will do me no good to eat, for I shall die anyway. Nor do I need to eat if I am to live many years yet, for I shall live anyway. Therefore I will not eat." Needless to say, if God has foreordained that a man shall live, He has also foreordained that he shall be kept from the suicidal folly of refusing to eat.

"This doctrine," says Hamilton, "is only superficially like the pagan 'fate.' The Christian is in the hands not of a cold, immutable determinism, but of a warm, loving heavenly Father, who loved us and gave His Son to die for us on Calvary! The Christian knows that 'all things work together for good to them that love God, even to them that are called according to His purpose.' The Christian can trust God because he knows He is all-wise, loving, just and holy. He sees the end from the beginning, so that there is no reason to become panicky when things seem to be going against us."

Hence, only a person who has not examined this doctrine of Predestination, or one who is maliciously inclined, will rashly charge that it is Fatalism. There is no excuse for anyone making this mistake who knows what Predestination is and what Fatalism is.

Since the universe is one systematized unit we must choose between Fatalism, which ultimately does away with mind and purpose, and this biblical doctrine of Predestination, which holds that God created all things, that His providence extends to all His works, and that while free Himself He has also provided that we shall be free within the limits of our natures. Instead of our doctrine of Predestination being the same with the heathen doctrine of Fatalism, it is its absolute opposite and only alternative.
http://www.bloomingtonrpchurch.org/refdocpre/15.htm[/quote]

(1) (Reply)

My Children Are Not Ready / Devil's Ploy To Accelerate Immorallity = 2go / Dead Man Wake Up In The Moque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.