Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? (3777 Views)

Car Convertion From Rhd To Lhd / Converting A Toyota Corolla 2006 UK Model From RHD To LHD / Converting A Toyota Corolla UK Model From RHD To LHD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by Kingdemu: 7:27pm On Sep 05, 2020
Hello car gurus, given the attendant issues that come with it, pls how can a buyer know a car that has been converted from a right hand drive to a left hand drive, especially the ones done in Nigeria?

Aside running a VIN check, are there physical giveaways one can look out for that can pinpoint if a car is a converted one?

Thank you.

CC
Gazzuzz, nurey, legalwealth, ikenna, carguide, radautoworks, Heavenlybang
Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by Hauptmann: 7:33pm On Sep 05, 2020
Kingdemu:
Hello car gurus, given the attendant issues that come with it, pls how can a buyer know a car that has been converted from a right hand drive to a left hand drive?

Aside running a VIN check, are there physical giveaways one can look out for that can pinpoint if a car is a converted one?

Thank you.

CC
Gazzuz, nurey, legalwealth , ikenna, carguide, radautoworks, Heavenlybang

If you value your car and your mental wellbeing, never seek for or take advice from the moniker I crossed out

To avoid tears.

Meanwhile to the issue at hand, depends on how good the conversion was, things that give such conversions away are things like wipers positioned and going the wrong way, gear buttons positioned to the right side, master window controls on the right side, etc etc

But some good conversions are difficult to detect unless vin check

Also some models are always rightie, like all them corolla altis, camry premio G and corolla hatchback, no original left hand drive for those ones

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by Presegs(m): 7:42pm On Sep 05, 2020
Hauptmann:

If you value your car and your mental wellbeing, never seek for or take advice from the moniker I crossed out

To avoid tears.

Meanwhile to the issue at hand, depends on how good the conversion was, things that give such conversions away are things like wipers positioned and going the wrong way, gear buttons positioned to the right side, master window controls on the right side, etc etc

Also some models are always rightie, like all them corolla altis, camry premio G and corolla hatchback, no original left hand drive for those ones

Hate and jealousy are destroying you and you don't even know. It remains they send you to 6 feet which won't take too long courtesy high BP.

Pained wannabe! !! Were you even mentioned by OP?
Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by Mcreloaded(m): 8:02pm On Sep 05, 2020
Very easy because if it is a left hand drive the hanger handle by the door is always on the passenger side while if converted you will find the hanger handle y the door on the driver side.

3 Likes

Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by weyreypey: 8:07pm On Sep 05, 2020
Kingdemu:
Hello car gurus, given the attendant issues that come with it, pls how can a buyer know a car that has been converted from a right hand drive to a left hand drive, especially the ones done in Nigeria?

Thank you.

CC
The only person you need is diportivo.
Orientation of the windshield wipers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by udemzyudex(m): 8:10pm On Sep 05, 2020
Hauptmann:

To avoid tears.

You're grown, stop this nonsense.
Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by Presegs(m): 8:12pm On Sep 05, 2020
Kingdemu:

Thank you.

CC
Gazzuz, nurey, legalwealth, ikenna, carguide, radautoworks, Heavenlybang

Without wasting much time, listed below are five likely different ways to know vehicles that have been converted from right-hand drive to a left-hand drive;

1. Wipers will end in front of the drivers.

2. Control panel on the door often on the passenger’s door.

3. The fuel tank is on the reverse side of the original left-hand version.

4. The exhaust is on the other side of the original left-hand version.

5. The battery compartment is on the other side of the original left.

Feel free to add yours! !!

As seen on legalwealth's automotive forum => https://autosandcartalk.com/threads/likely-ways-to-know-vehicles-converted-from-right-hand-drive-to-a-left-hand-drive.281/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by Hauptmann: 8:27pm On Sep 05, 2020
[s]
Presegs:

Without wasting much time, listed below are five likely different ways to know vehicles that have been converted from right-hand drive to a left-hand drive;

[/s]

Lol

See what I said about this nonentity spreading false and dangerous information?

Fuel tank?

It will all end in tears.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by Hauptmann: 8:30pm On Sep 05, 2020
Presegs:

Hate and jealousy are destroying you and you don't even know. It remains they send you to 6 feet which won't take too long courtesy high BP.

Pained wannabe! !! Were you even mentioned by OP?

Long before I go six feet, at least 6 generations of you and your progeny would have gone to prepare rhe way for me.

Mongoose prince masquerading as car expert with scanner, mechanic with no tools, no helpful experience, and worst of all, no commonsense cheesy

The next ban would be 7 days, keep it up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by soloehis(m): 8:55pm On Sep 05, 2020
Hauptmann:

To avoid tears.

Meanwhile to the issue at hand, depends on how good the conversion was, things that give such conversions away are things like wipers positioned and going the wrong way, gear buttons positioned to the right side, master window controls on the right side, etc.

there are original left Corolla hatchback left..I own one that I imported myself..only that its expensive

2 Likes

Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by Presegs(m): 9:03pm On Sep 05, 2020
Someone did the same conversion on Nissan Primera.

If you are not an expert, you cannot know because the only detecting thing on it is the thumb button you'll press before the gear can be controlled which was changed to index button.
Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by diportivo: 12:24am On Sep 06, 2020
weyreypey:

The only person you need is diportivo.
Orientation of the windshield wipers.

lmao

oni yeye niwo ntie grin

Hauptmann:

Lol

See what I said about this nonentity spreading false and dangerous information?

Fuel tank?

It will all end in tears.

that write up is the most ridiculous iv read based on conversion

premium tears is sure

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by weyreypey: 7:31am On Sep 06, 2020
diportivo help him out fyi your assertions are wrong
Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by kingreign(m): 7:45am On Sep 06, 2020
All these obvious and subtle signs are dependent on the experience and thoroughness of the technician handling such conversion. I've converted a RHD to LHD Avensis and nobody knows it was converted cos I intentionally and painstakingly went thru the whole process very thoroughly. Even it's ECU was replaced and every single panel or connection for LHD models works as they should. It was expensive but very worth it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by weyreypey: 8:22am On Sep 06, 2020
kingreign:
All these obvious and subtle signs are dependent on the experience and thoroughness of the technician handling such conversion. I've converted a RHD to LHD Avensis and nobody knows it was converted cos I intentionally and painstakingly went thru the whole process very thoroughly. Even it's ECU was replaced and every single panel or connection for LHD models works as they should. It was expensive but very worth it.
you grafted a new chassis number?

3 Likes

Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by kingreign(m): 8:24am On Sep 06, 2020
weyreypey:

you grafted a new chassis number?
The ECU has its own VIN input which was readout. It was from a German used car.
Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by weyreypey: 8:29am On Sep 06, 2020
kingreign:

The ECU has its own VIN input which was readout. It was from a German used car.
okay see you soon
Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by Mayor555(m): 4:33pm On Sep 06, 2020
kingreign:

Oga mi, I'll know....

.did you change the sunshade?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by kingreign(m): 5:30pm On Sep 06, 2020
Mayor555:

Oga mi, I'll know....

.did you change the sunshade?

You won't know. Na 2006/07. Avensis.
Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by timifakay(m): 5:47pm On Sep 06, 2020

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by Mayor555(m): 5:47pm On Sep 06, 2020
kingreign:

You won't know. Na 2006/07. Avensis.

You removed the side trafficator lamps too?
Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by 2cribz: 5:50pm On Sep 06, 2020
Its as simple as abc na gear shift knob go dey right,handbrake right,everyhing about the car na right. Avoid them snd enter factory left
Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by timifakay(m): 5:53pm On Sep 06, 2020
Kingdemu:

Thank you.

CC
Gazzuzz, nurey, legalwealth, ikenna, carguide, radautoworks, Heavenlybang

Possible give aways include:
Gear lever button and lettering, hand brake
Cowl cover and wiper
Firewall expansion valve hole
Vin tag
Master door for central lock

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by Alfred74: 5:53pm On Sep 06, 2020
Presegs:

As seen on legalwealth's automotive forum => https://autosandcartalk.com/threads/likely-ways-to-know-vehicles-converted-from-right-hand-drive-to-a-left-hand-drive.281/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by gambus007(m): 5:54pm On Sep 06, 2020
2cribz:
Its as simple as abc na gear shift knob go dey right,handbrake right,everyhing about the car na right. Avoid them snd enter factory left
Not all cars.. Peugeot 307,308 etc They are designed to fix in both sides(LHD nd RHD)
Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by gambus007(m): 5:56pm On Sep 06, 2020
timifakay:

Possible give aways include:
Gear lever button and lettering, hand brake
Cowl cover and wiper
Firewall expansion valve hole
Vin tag
Master door for central lock
What would you say about Peugeot cars especially Peugeot 308?
Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by alphaNomega: 6:12pm On Sep 06, 2020
Hauptmann:

To avoid tears.

Really? I didn't know. Thanks

I drove one Altis the other day and it was raggedy. No wonder
Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by benzmatic: 3:25am On Sep 07, 2020
I drive a converted car Honda accord as a daily. About 3 years now. Conversion was poorly done ab initio, I had to do it again myself. My tech bought firewall and some other stuff to make it as original as possible.
what I notice u can still use to tell a conversion is:

Sun visor. Usually the driver's sun visor is fixed at one point only. it also carries a safety warning most times.

Front door signals in dash. Open the front door and see which side lights up on the dash.

Center console controls. Usually the major functions are placed on the original drivers side.

Passenger's hanger as someone mentioned earlier.

Drivers seat and window controls, usually very difficult to swap perfectly. If you check well, the greater control will be with the driver. The auto window control should be further not closer to the driver.

These are the ones I observed. Many of the chasis were designed from factory to take both right and left hand drive functions. Often the differences are subtle, you would have to be suspicious and carefully attentive to detect if the job was carried out carefully.

1 Like

Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by whalleh: 8:52pm On May 09, 2021
Please how much will you convert Avensis 2007

kingreign:
Re: How To Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? by kingreign(m): 8:54pm On May 09, 2021
whalleh:
Please how much will you convert Avensis 2007

Send me a message via WhatsApp 07034581213 let's talk more about it.

(1) (Reply)

How To Terrify Nigerian Police / How To Know A Good Engine. / Toyota Corolla 2010 Fuel Consumption Rate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.