Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,171 members, 7,860,195 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:37 AM

Concept Of Abortion In Islam - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Concept Of Abortion In Islam (230 Views)

P.O.S in Islam / Palm Wine In Islam / Rulings On Abortion In Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Concept Of Abortion In Islam by Realismailakabir: 11:59pm On Sep 07, 2020
Muslim views on abortion are shaped by the Hadith as well as by the opinions of legal and religious scholars. The Qur'an does not explicitly refer to abortion but offers guidance on related matters. Scholars accept that this guidance can properly be applied to abortion I.e " Kill not your offspring for fear of poverty; it is We who provide for them and for you. Surely, killing them is a great sin."
Qur'an 17:32

"Whosoever has spared the life of a soul, it is as though he has spared the life of all people.Whosoever has killed a soul, it is as though he has murdered all of mankind"

The fetus is believed to become a living soul after 120 days gestation, and abortion after that point is viewed as impermissible. The majority of Muslim scholars permit abortion, although they differ on the stage of fetal development beyond which it becomes prohibited. In practice, access to abortion varies greatly between Muslim-majority countries . In countries like Turkey and Tunisia. abortions are unconditionally legal on request. On the other hand, in 18 out of 50 Muslim-majority countries, including Iraq, Egypt, and Indonesia, abortion is only legally permitted if the life of the mother is threatened by the pregnancy. No Muslim-majority country bans abortion in the case of the mother's life being at risk or other reasons that are permitted by certain circumstances in Muslim-majority countries include preserving a woman's physical or mental health, foetal impairment, cases of incest or rape, and social or economic reasons.

Excerpts from the Hadith

Umar bin Al-Khattab asked (the
people) about the Imlas of a woman,
i.e., a woman who has an abortion
because of having been beaten on her
abdomen, saying, "Who among you
has heard anything about it from the
Prophet?" I said, "I did." He said,
"What is that?" I said, "I heard the
Prophet saying, 'Its Diya (blood
money) is either a male or a female
slave.'" Umar said, "Do not leave till
you present witness in support of your
statement." So I went out, and found
Muhammad bin Maslama. I brought
him, and he bore witness with me
that he had heard the Prophet saying,
"Its Diya (blood money) is either a
male slave or a female slave."
Hadith—Sahih Bukhari 9.420,
Narrated Mughira ibn Shu'ba

Allah's Apostle gave the judgment that
a male or female slave should be
given in Qisas for an abortion case of
a woman from the tribe of Bani
Lihyan (as blood money for the fetus)
but the lady on whom the penalty had
been imposed died, so the Prophets
ordered that her property be inherited
by her offspring and her husband and
that the penalty be paid by her Asaba.
Hadith— Sahih al-Bukhari 8.732,
Narrated Abu Hurairah

(1) (Reply)

Teachers Needed / Is There A Set Time For Reciting The Morning And Evening Dhikrs? / Imam Ashatiby: A Teacher Of The Qur'an And A Sincere Servant Of Allah.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.