Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,096 members, 7,852,705 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 01:37 AM

Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision (25633 Views)

Kalabari Traditional Wedding Culture in Rivers State / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos / China People And Culture In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 11:51am On Sep 08, 2020
IN IGBO CUSTOMARY LAW, WOMEN AND LAND ARE SIMILAR.

THEY ARE REGARDED AS THE SAMETHING.

THIS IS Y WE DONT GIVE WOMEN ANCESTRAL LAND.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 11:51am On Sep 08, 2020
LegendHero:

That is why I’m telling you your argument is faulty. It is not only applicable to ancestral land like you said, it applies to even land that are not ancestral.

The case where the Supreme Court made the judgement was a woman who was denied access to her father property in Lagos. Her dad owned an estate in Lagos and after his demise, the brothers failed to give her part of the inheritance and she took them to court.

Read the judgement below:
https://lawcarenigeria.com/mrs-lois-chituru-ukeje-anor-v-mrs-gladys-ada-ukeje2014/
Vanzcharles every land whether ancestral or not belongs to the government and every individual.male or female has a right to own any land.
If such female goes to court to challenge for ancestral land or not she will get a favourable judgment and there us nothing you can do about it.
Culture is different from the law and the law reigns supreme

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 11:52am On Sep 08, 2020
booscy:

We are waiting for you to lead the enforcement.

If you like don't work hard. No wealth of an Igbo man will be transferred to any outsider via marriage.
You and who are waiting. When they give them, and them born you well, go and collect it from them.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 11:53am On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:

AFONJA, LISTEN, U CAN BE CONTENDING VIRTUALLY OVER AN IGBO MAN PROPERTY, IN REAL LIFE U AND I KNOW THAT IS NOT EVEN UP FOR CONTENTION.

SO KEEP TALKING NONSENSE HERE.

I SUSPECT U ARE EVEN A YORUBA MAN SEF.
I am an igbo lady from the south east so shut up your mouth.

It is up for contention the court has made it so and that us happening in real life.
I am inheriting my father's property and that is also happening in real life
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 11:54am On Sep 08, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

I am an igbo lady from the south east so shut up your mouth.

It is up for contention the court has made it so and that us happening in real life.
I am inheriting my father's property and that is also happening in real life

A MALE CHILD AND A FEMALE ARE NOT THE SAMETHING.

THEY CAN NEVER BE EQUAL.

AS SUCH WE GIVE THE FEMALE GIFT AND THE MALE INHERITENCE.

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Vanzcharles(m): 11:54am On Sep 08, 2020
LegendHero:

That is why I’m telling you your argument is faulty. It is not only applicable to ancestral land like you said, it applies to even land that are not ancestral.

The case where the Supreme Court made the judgement was a woman who was denied access to her father property in Lagos. Her dad owned an estate in Lagos and after his demise, the brothers failed to give her part of the inheritance and she took them to court.

Read the judgement below:
https://lawcarenigeria.com/mrs-lois-chituru-ukeje-anor-v-mrs-gladys-ada-ukeje2014/

Okay, I strongly believe that ancient culture should be abolished and restricted to only ancestral inheritance.
It is very unfair for the girl not to partake in the estate. She deserves it in as much as the male children have their ancestral home to share.

If i have a girl child why should I not give her my wealth I had acquired. It us totally wrong. Ev
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 11:54am On Sep 08, 2020
wizzakosh:
You and who are waiting. When they give them, and them born you well, go and collect it from them.
Nor mind them.
They are just so ignorant.

Make me see who wan challenge me ftom inheriting my papa property for igbo village wey I come from them nor born the idiot well.
Where him dey when I dey serve my papa. grin grin
Culture my foot.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LegendHero(m): 11:56am On Sep 08, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

Vanzcharles every land whether ancestral or not belongs to the government and every individual.male or female has a right to own any land.
If such female goes to court to challenge for ancestral land or not she will get a favourable judgment and there us nothing you can do about it.

Exactly. The law is supreme and if any woman challenge the right to ancestral land inheritance in court at this juncture, she will win and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 11:56am On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:

A MALE CHILD AND A FEMALE ARE NOT THE SAMETHING.

THEY CAN NEVER BE EQUAL.

AS SUCH WE GIVE THE FEMALE GIFT AND THE MALE INHERITENCE.
We don't care about your backward opinion.

The court has said that male and female child have a right to inheritance and there is nothing you say or do that can change that.

If you do anyhow the court will visit you.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Olufemiolaolu(m): 11:56am On Sep 08, 2020
This is backwardness in this age and time. one lazy uncle will now reap where he didn't sow. They won't tackle their archaic culture but they like meddling other people's affair.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 11:56am On Sep 08, 2020
THE THING I LOVE MOST ABOUT IGBO ANCESTORS IS THAT THEY WERE NEVER CONFUSED ABOUT LIFE.

THEY NEVER WENT FORWARD ONLY TO START GOING BACK.

IMAGINE THESE MORONS TODAY SAYING MALE AND FEMALE CHILD ARE EQUAL.

UNA DEY CRAZE.

NO WONDER BOBRISKY IS WEARING SKIRT AND GROWING YANSH WITH BREAST.

CONFUSION IN SOCIETY TODAY IS TO BLAME.

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LegendHero(m): 11:58am On Sep 08, 2020
Vanzcharles:

Okay, I strongly believe that ancient culture should be abolished and restricted to only ancestral inheritance.
It is very unfair for the girl not to partake in the estate. She deserves it in as much as the male children have their ancestral home to share.

If i have a girl child why should I not give her my wealth I had acquired. It us totally wrong. Ev

Exactly. That’s how it should work and I agree with you.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LegendHero(m): 11:58am On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:
THE THING I LOVE MOST ABOUT IGBO ANCESTORS IS THAT THEY WERE NEVER CONFUSED ABOUT LIFE.

THEY NEVER WENT FORWARD ONLY TO START GOING BACK.

IMAGINE THESE MORONS TODAY SAYING MALE AND FEMALE CHILD ARE EQUAL.

UNA DEY CRAZE.

NO WONDER BOBRISKY IS WEARING SKIRT AND GROWING YANSH WITH BREAST.

CONFUSION IN SOCIETY TODAY IS TO BLAME.

So male and female are not equal?
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Tomilola360: 11:59am On Sep 08, 2020
Igbo women, where do you stand on this?

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 11:59am On Sep 08, 2020
LegendHero:

THEY CAN NEVER BE EQUAL.

A FEMALE IS WOMAN AND A MALE IS A MAN.

IF U FIND DAT HARD TO COMPREHEND THEN U ARE A DUNCE.

THEY ARE UNIQUE IN THEIR OWN WAY BUT SEPARATE.

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:00pm On Sep 08, 2020
LegendHero:

Exactly. The law is supreme and if any woman challenge the right to ancestral land inheritance in court at this juncture, she will win and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
Exactly my dear.These men can only say these rubbish to uneducated igbo women not me I know my rights and the law very well it is because the women are conditioned not to challenge these laws that is why they still exist if many women in igbo land challenge some certain harmful laws the supreme court will abolish a lot of these laws.
Ancestral land that belongs to the government these people think it cannot be challenged in favour of the daughters LOL.

Ochendo1 where are you.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:01pm On Sep 08, 2020
LegendHero:

No need to argue with a backward person
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LegendHero(m): 12:01pm On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:

THEY CAN NEVER BE EQUAL.

A FEMALE IS WOMAN AND A MALE IS A MAN.

IF U FIND DAT HARD TO COMPREHEND THEN U ARE A DUNCE.

THEY ARE UNIQUE IN THEIR OWN WAY AND SEPARATE.

Yes everyone is unique in their own way. Equality in this context is not what you initially claimed it to be so stop being clever by half.

In the eyes of the law, male and female are equal.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LegendHero(m): 12:03pm On Sep 08, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

No need to argue with a backward person

You’re right. Arguing with that guy is like going in reverse.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Vanzcharles(m): 12:03pm On Sep 08, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

Well there would not be any course for that in my own home as I would own my will. Everybody gets a share.

Back to what you said, it would be very hard for any female child (married) to take the customs of the people to court regarding ancestral homes and win.
The customary court bares such witnesses and sympathy to the culture of the land. In that vein, restrictions are being made in order not to cause land dispute. A woman married to a different home is very much free to be at her father's home as long as she can even if she might be granted to own a land, it shall not be passed on to her children.
This law above was made to protect the interest of the culture.

But if the land is outside the ancestral home, she is free to pass it on as form of inheritance or gift to whom she pleases.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 12:04pm On Sep 08, 2020
LegendHero:

Yes everyone is unique in their own way. Equality in this context is not what you initially claimed it to be so stop being clever by half.

In the eyes of the law, male and female are equal.

THE SEXES ARE UNIQUE AND NOT EQUAL.

UNDERSTAND THAT SIMPLE FACT OF LIFE AND DONT CONFUSE YOURSELF.

A MAN IS NOT A WOMAN AND A WOMAN CAN NEVER BE A MAN.

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Ochendo1: 12:09pm On Sep 08, 2020
AmazonTopaz:
Exactly my dear.These men can only say these rubbish to uneducated igbo women not me I know my rights and the law very well it is because the women are conditioned not to challenge these laws that is why they still exist if many women in igbo land challenge some certain harmful laws the supreme court will abolish a lot of these laws.
Ancestral land that belongs to the government these people think it cannot be challenged in favour of the daughters LOL.

Ochendo1 where are you.

Do you know what a will is? if you do go and research why they are not contestable except on certain grounds...

For ancestral compound i wish you luck in the courts when you go to challenge that... do you know why when you go to the courts to legalise your marriage they ask you if you have done all the traditional rights or even the traditional wedding before you legalise your marriage lol! grin e get why... customary laws/ courts get jurisdiction. Even your so called almighty supreme court will refer to the customary law of the land in making their judgements... Even Igbo mothers will chase you out of her late husband's house if you dare contest the ancestral compound in court with the Opara if you know u know... ga jukwese!

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 12:10pm On Sep 08, 2020
The bigots have customary court but they don't want others to have theirs (Shariah court); a clear choice provided by constitution.
They call others backward but see how they're culture is holding back their girls. undecided
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:11pm On Sep 08, 2020
Vanzcharles:

Well there would not be any course for that in my own home as I would own my will. Everybody gets a share.

Back to what you said, it would be very hard for any female child (married) to take the customs of the people to court regarding ancestral homes and win.
The customary court bares such witnesses and sympathy to the culture of the land. In that vein, restrictions are being made in order not to cause land dispute. A woman married to a different home is very much free to be at her father's home as long as she can even if she might be granted to own a land, it shall not be passed on to her children.
This law above was made to protect the interest of the culture.

But if the land is outside the ancestral home, she is free to pass it on as form of inheritance or gift to whom she pleases.
You are not getting it.
Married or not ancestral home or not no female can be denied such.
If I challenge for my father's ancestral home the court will support me especially if I am the first child and there is no will in place.
The problem is that many of you think thisvis impossible because some igbo women choose to look the other way and respect the culture as a result of being conditioned to do so but it is not.

If the man has an ancestral home but no male child who should he pass it to?if he himself is an only son?the ancestral home belongs to the government does it not?

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 12:14pm On Sep 08, 2020
AprokoGirl:

https://punchng.com/female-inheritance-supreme-court-igbo-culture-in-head-on-collision/
Igboes give properties to female children. What female children dont get share of is village land . So long as its property acquired outside of home country inheritance the female folks are not left out

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Ooni Disowns Statement From His Palace On Issue With Oba Of Lagos / Shehu Uthman Dan Fodio Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate / A Nairalander With His Village Masqerade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.