Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,282 members, 7,860,651 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 01:49 PM

Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision (25795 Views)

Kalabari Traditional Wedding Culture in Rivers State / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos / China People And Culture In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by DexterousOne(m): 11:21am On Sep 08, 2020
Los10ban:
It is a welcome development for the part of igboland that totally disinherit their female children. However no igbo lady is expected to drag land with his male siblings or uncles after the demise of the man. But other properties like investments and so on should be share among all be it male or female. where i come from in Igboland we are gifted all the necessities. Our duties are to make sure our male siblings live in peace and harmony not drag properties.

Just draw up an inheritance plan that will be perceived fair to all

That will solve all of these issues

Instead of crying foul
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Vanzcharles(m): 11:22am On Sep 08, 2020
Women should be allowed to inherit properties from her father in Igbo land.
But what women won't and never inherit in Igbo land is the ancestral land.
If a man begats girls, he must share all his properties to them. Whatever he owns the lands, houses in the city should be for his daughters but his ancestral land goes back to his family so as to continue the spread of the family.
Reason is if a girl gets married, there is no way she can carry the ancestral homeland or pass it on to the children as inheritance as they belong to her fathers lineage ( I mean her fathers father).... And the husband can in no way, set IP territory in the home of another man.
You dont give your ancestral home to strangers. It remains with the family. It doesn't belong to the man for life because it us passed on from generation to generation. That is why villages still remain the same.

Aside the ancestral home, I dont see the reason women should not inherit properties.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 11:23am On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:
[s][/s]

[s]U DONT KNOW LAW.

CUSTOMARY LAW ARE CONSTITUTIONAL RECOGNISED.

THEY ARE THE NIGERIA LAW.

SUPREME COURT JUDGEMENT DID NOT REFORM IGBO CUSTOMARY LAW.

IT IS ONLY APPLICABLE TO THAT PARTICULAR CASE[/s].
You are the one that does not know the law.
Let me school you small customary law in Nigeria is recognised by the law when it passes three validity test which are the repugnancy test,incompatibility test and public policy test.If any customary law fails any of these three test that law is null and void.
The denial of female inheritance is igbo land fails all three of these test so it is null and void under Nigerian law because it is repugnant to natural justice,Incompatible with equity and good conscience.So Nigerian law does not recognise female disinheritance every Nigerian male or female has a right to inheritance I know the law as a lawyer so let me school you.
These case has set a precedent and can be applied to every other case because it is coming from the supreme court so therefore it has reformed the culture so any other case this same judgement will be given.It is not just for this particular case.
Female have a right to inheritance in igbo land and the supreme court has said so

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LegendHero(m): 11:25am On Sep 08, 2020
LaboPolitics:

When a common Baale (local chief) in yorubaland dies, an unofficial curfew is declared nightly. Why? Because yoruba youths will be out at night hunting for human heads with which to bury him.

This is common knowledge and it happens till this day. Tell your 'reform' stories to the birds my friend.

Stop saying nonsense. I thought you’re sane but you’re now starting to sound like a broken record.

You first said we should mention where Yoruba had a female king. They brought one, you said they should rather bring a first class female king instead of lower class Kings.

Then they brought First class female kings that were female which include both Ooni Luwo of Ife and Alaafin Orompoto of Oyo, then you diverted and said what about palace practices.

They told you that has already been abolished and several kings are even standing as Christians and Muslims and even the traditional among them have consistently denounced such practices. Then you turn it to a joke section saying rubbish about youth rushing out for rubbish.

Like they always say “Misery love company”. You are ashamed of your Igbo archaic law of inheritance discrimination and you’re constantly looking for justification to defend it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 11:26am On Sep 08, 2020
LaboPolitics:

When a common Baale (local chief) in yorubaland dies, an unofficial curfew is declared nightly. Why? Because yoruba youths will be out at night hunting for human heads with which to bury him.

This is common knowledge and it happens till this day. Tell your 'reform' stories to the birds my friend.
Hahahahaha, this one is out of point. He has no point of defence again. Typical OSU.

Las, las, no brother's properties for you cheesy.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 11:27am On Sep 08, 2020
LegendHero:

Stop saying nonsense. I thought you’re sane but you’re now starting to sound like a broken record.

You first said we should mention where Yoruba had a female king. They brought one, you said they should rather bring a first class female king instead of lower class Kings.

Then they brought First class female kings that were female which include both Ooni Luwo of Ife an Alaafin Orompoto of Oyo, then you diverted and said what about palace practices.

They told you that has already been abolished and several kings are even standing as Christians and Muslims and even the traditional among them have consistently denounced such practices. Then you turn it to a joke section saying rubbish about youth rushing out for rubbish.

Like they always say “Misery love company”. You are ashamed of your Igbo archaic law of inheritance discrimination and you’re constantly looking for justification to defend it.

You have technically knocked him out.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Vanzcharles(m): 11:28am On Sep 08, 2020
LegendHero:

Then they brought First class female kings that were female which include both Ooni Luwo of Ife an Alaafin Orompoto of Oyo, then you diverted and said what about palace practices.

If a man begats girls, he must share all his properties to them. Whatever he owns the lands, houses in the city should be for his daughters but his ancestral land goes back to his family so as to continue the spread of the family.

Reason is if a girl gets married, there is no way she can carry the ancestral homeland or pass it on to the children as inheritance as they belong to her fathers lineage ( I mean her fathers father).... And the husband can in no way, set IP territory in the home of another man.

You dont give your ancestral home to strangers. It remains with the family. It doesn't belong to the man for life because it us passed on from generation to generation. That is why villages still remain the same.

Aside the ancestral home, I dont see the reason women should not inherit properties.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by mhmsadyq(m): 11:28am On Sep 08, 2020
Blackmann001:
..if the justice system is looking for societal fair treatment ,it shld go to the north and change all the stupid laws which are very barbaric....13year old gals are forcefully married off, cutting of peoples hands and heads are called tradition just for verbal abuse, women are restricted from so many rights including education but no one is saying anything.... If its to Jim on the Igbo's they would know he to do dt one.....

After all, the igbo are living with their tradition rules peacefully and daughter are even very comfortable with it..

They shldnt com and scatter peoples lifestyle...

The north too isn't complaining. So, why this hypocrisy.
Did the north took your case to court?

Oga, face your problem with the courts and stop mentioning the north.
Your obsession of the north wouldn't change anything. We call the shots!

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by like1: 11:28am On Sep 08, 2020
I think I have to explain this in detail for the non-Igbo. So this is a bit complicated and I am sure it's same in some Yoruba cultures.

The Igbo has ancestral homes, like the ancestral land each male child inherits. This is the reason you see mansions in village bushes in Igboland inhabited by no one except during festive seasons. Most of these mansions are on ancestral lands that were inherited. So in Igbo tradition, a married female child is not supposed to inherit any of the ancestral property. If there is a lady that is not married, she has the full right of accommodation to the property till she dies. Unmarried female children in most cases do not have children. If the female child has a child(ren) out of marriage, automatically that child(ren) belongs to her father and thus the child if male should inherit and participate in the sharing of the ancestral land, if the child is a female then the cycle continues. This is the reason why if a man dies without a male child and one of her daughter gives birth to a male child out of wedlock, then the male child has to inherit the ancestral home. In Igbo land, if a girl's bride price is not paid and she gives birth, the child automatically belongs to the father of the girl.

Even wives do not inherit ancestral lands, such that if the husband dies, the wife has full right of accommodation to the ancestral land/house till she dies if she doesn't remarry, only his male children or male children of her unmarried daughters can inherit them. This is because a wife whose husband is dead, has the right to remarry and go live with her new husband, while the children of the dead first husband has the inheritance of the ancestral land. This is only for ancestral land.

Furthermore, any property ACQUIRED or INHERITED(non-ancestral) by a man which is outside the ANCESTRAL LAND he inherited, can be inherited by both the male and female (married or unmarried) children. The man has the right to will those ACQUIRED or INHERITED(non-ancestral) properties to whoever he wishes.

However, what happens and which is the problem in this topic is the regular sibling problems of sharing properties when the father dies without a will. So I guess the dead man has only two children, a son and a daughter, so the son wants to take all the properties the man ACQUIRED citing that in Igbo tradition women don't inherit properties. All the properties the man acquired in the city(outside the ancestral land) MUST be administered according to the will, if there is no will, then they MUST be shared EQUALLY or IN AGREEMENT with all the parties (mother, children) involved.

Finally, in Igbo tradition the male child has full inheritance only on the ancestral land (vilaage land and house, that one in the bush) and also he doesn't have the right to deny her sister accommodation in the said village house. If the sister is unmarried and has a male son, the son is a child of the dead father and MUST partake in the inheritance of the ancestral land.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LegendHero(m): 11:29am On Sep 08, 2020
wizzakosh:
You have technically knocked him out.

Abi o. Don’t mind that clown.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 11:30am On Sep 08, 2020
[s]
AmazonTopaz:

You are the one that does not know the law.
Let me school you small customary law in Nigeria is recognised by the law when it passes three validity test which are the repugnancy test,incompatibility test and public policy test.If any customary law fails any of these three test that law is null and void.
The denial of female inheritance is igbo land fails all three of these test so it is null and void under Nigerian law because it is repugnant to natural justice,Incompatible with equity and good conscience.So Nigerian law does not recognise female disinheritance every Nigerian male or female has a right to inheritance I know the law as a lawyer so let me school you.
These case has set a precedent and can be applied to every other case because it is coming from the supreme court so therefore it has reformed the culture so any other case this same judgement will be given.It is not just for this particular case.
Female have a right to inheritance in igbo land and the supreme court has said so
[/s]

YOUR STUPID, U ARE DEAF WEN WE SAID IGBO WOMEN INHERIT THEIR HUSBAND PROPERTIES AND NOT THEIR FATHER.

THEY RECIEVE GIFTS FROM THEIR FATHER.

GIFTS ARE THE TERM IGBO MEN CHOSE TO REFER TO PROPERTIES THEY GIVE THEIR DAUGHTERS.

SHE CAN REGARD IT AS INHERITANCE IF SHE LIKE, BUT TO US IT IS A GIFT.

I.E. FROM MY VAST ESTATE, I GIFT MY DAUGHTER ONE HOUSE.

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by TheChameleon: 11:35am On Sep 08, 2020
LaboPolitics:

yoruba were rejoicing because they want a leeway to steal Igbo men properties by marrying Igbo daughters and insulting Igbo customs, a custom that even settles Igbo daughters with properties upon marriage. Kolewerk!

Let the same yoruba SC judge Bode Rhodes-Vivour also make a judgment that women in yorubaland have the right to be Oba of Lagos, Ooni of Ife and Alaafin of Oyo.

If he won't do it, I'm sure an Igbo judge or Hausa judge will be glad to do so, since both men and women are now culturally equal in every tribe accrording to him.

Lazy igbo uncle spotted.

Better go and work instead of hawking gala.

E pain am. grin

Yamlegged babes. We stand by una. kiss

I don dey get DMs.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LegendHero(m): 11:36am On Sep 08, 2020
Vanzcharles:

Forget about all this things you are writing. It is not only applicable to ancestral land, it is applicable in all facet.

See the case that made Supreme Court give the judgement below, the land in question is an estate in Lagos. Is Lagos now part of the Igbo man ancestral land that their daughters cannot inherit?

The court specifically held that the practice conflicted with Section 42(1) (a) and (2) of the 1999 Constitution.

The judgment was given in an appeal marked: SC.224/2004 filed by Mrs Lois Chituru Ukeje, wife of the late Lazarus Ogbonna Ukeje, and their son, Enyinnaya Lazarus Ukeje, against Ms Gladys Ada Ukeje, who is the deceased’s daughter.

Gladys had sued the deceased’s wife and son before the Lagos High Court, claiming to be one of the deceased’s children and sought to be included among those to administer the deceased father’s estate.

The trial court found that she was a daughter to the deceased and that she was qualified to benefit from the estate of her father, who died intestate (without a will) in Lagos in 1981.

The Court of Appeal, Lagos, to which Lois and Enyinnaya appealed, upheld the decision of the trial court, prompting them to appeal to the Supreme Court.

In its judgment, the Supreme Court held that the Court of Appeal, Lagos, was right to have voided the Igbo native law and custom that disinherit female children. Justice Bode Rhodes-Vivour, who read the lead judgment, held that: “No matter the circumstances of the birth of a female child, such a child is entitled to an inheritance from her late father’s estate.”

Justice Rhodes-Vivour added, “The Igbo customary law, which disentitles a female child from partaking in the sharing of her deceased father’s estate is a breach of Section 42(1) and (2) of the Constitution, a fundamental rights provision guaranteed to every Nigerian.

“The said discriminatory customary law is void as it conflicts with Section 42 (1) and (2) of the Constitution. In the light of all that I have been saying, the appeal is dismissed. In the spirit of reconciliation, parties are to bear their own costs.”

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 11:37am On Sep 08, 2020
LaboPolitics:

yoruba were rejoicing because they want a leeway to steal Igbo men properties by marrying Igbo daughters and insulting Igbo customs, a custom that even settles Igbo daughters with properties upon marriage. Kolewerk!

Let the same yoruba SC judge Bode Rhodes-Vivour also make a judgment that women in yorubaland have the right to be Oba of Lagos, Ooni of Ife and Alaafin of Oyo.

If he won't do it, I'm sure an Igbo judge or Hausa judge will be glad to do so, since both men and women are now culturally equal in every tribe accrording to him.

IS LIKE OUR ANCESTORS SAW YORUBA PEOPLE BEFORE DEY MADE ALL THEIR LAWS.

WISE MEN ARE TRUILY FROM THE EAST.

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 11:37am On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:
[s][/s]

[s]YOUR STUPID, U ARE DEAF WEN WE SAID IGBO WOMEN INHERIT THEIR HUSBAND PROPERTIES AND NOT THEIR FATHER.

THEY RECIEVE GIFTS FROM THEIR FATHER.

GIFTS ARE THE TERM IGBO MEN CHOSE TO REFER TO PROPERTIES THEY GIVE THEIR DAUGHTERS.

SHE CAN REGARD IT AS INHERITANCE IF SHE LIKE, BUT TO US IT IS A GIFT.

I.E. FROM MY VAST ESTATE, I GIFT MY DAUGHTER ONE HOUSE[/s].
You are the stupid and deaf one here.
You are just saying rubbish how many women are given a share of their husbands property in igbo land?

I don't want any gift na inheritance I dey collect from my papa and mama.So shut up because you don't know anything and how the law works because there is nothing you will say that will change what the law has already said.
Female inheritance is a must.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 11:39am On Sep 08, 2020
LegendHero:

Forget about all this things you are writing. It is not only applicable to ancestral land, it is applicable in all facet.

See the case that made Supreme Court give the judgement below, the land in question is an estate in Lagos. Is Lagos now part of the Igbo man ancestral land that their daughters cannot inherit?

The court specifically held that the practice conflicted with Section 42(1) (a) and (2) of the 1999 Constitution.

The judgment was given in an appeal marked: SC.224/2004 filed by Mrs Lois Chituru Ukeje, wife of the late Lazarus Ogbonna Ukeje, and their son, Enyinnaya Lazarus Ukeje, against Ms Gladys Ada Ukeje, who is the deceased’s daughter.

Gladys had sued the deceased’s wife and son before the Lagos High Court, claiming to be one of the deceased’s children and sought to be included among those to administer the deceased father’s estate.

The trial court found that she was a daughter to the deceased and that she was qualified to benefit from the estate of her father, who died intestate (without a will) in Lagos in 1981.

The Court of Appeal, Lagos, to which Lois and Enyinnaya appealed, upheld the decision of the trial court, prompting them to appeal to the Supreme Court.

In its judgment, the Supreme Court held that the Court of Appeal, Lagos, was right to have voided the Igbo native law and custom that disinherit female children. Justice Bode Rhodes-Vivour, who read the lead judgment, held that: “No matter the circumstances of the birth of a female child, such a child is entitled to an inheritance from her late father’s estate.”

Justice Rhodes-Vivour added, “The Igbo customary law, which disentitles a female child from partaking in the sharing of her deceased father’s estate is a breach of Section 42(1) and (2) of the Constitution, a fundamental rights provision guaranteed to every Nigerian.

“The said discriminatory customary law is void as it conflicts with Section 42 (1) and (2) of the Constitution. In the light of all that I have been saying, the appeal is dismissed. In the spirit of reconciliation, parties are to bear their own costs.”
Well said.
These backward greedy people don't know anything about the law but are bringing their outdated culture as an excuse

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 11:40am On Sep 08, 2020
AmazonTopaz:
You are the stupid and deaf one here.
You are just saying rubbish how many women are given a share of their husbands property in igbo land?

I don't want any gift na inheritance I dey collect from my papa and mama.So shut up because you don't know anything and how the law works because there is nothing you will say that will change what the law has already said.
Female inheritance is a must.

IN YORUBA LAND MAYBE, AS IT IS THEIR CULTURE

IGBOS TILL TOMORROW ARE GOING AHEAD WITH THEIR OWN WAY OF DOING THINGS.

YOUR SUPREME COURT WILL NEED TO GIVE US MORE GOVERNORS LIKE HOPE OZODINMA, IN OTHER TO CHANGE OUR CUSTOMS AND TRADITION.

GOODLUCK WITH DAT.

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Blackmann001: 11:40am On Sep 08, 2020
mhmsadyq:

The north too isn't complaining. So, why this hypocrisy.
Did the north took your case to court?

Oga, face your problem with the courts and stop mentioning the north.
Your obsession of the north wouldn't change anything. We call the shots!

Wait till ur more religious believers get to ur villa,then you call the shot to them before they hack you to death........
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LegendHero(m): 11:41am On Sep 08, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

Well said.
These backward greedy people don't know anything about the law but are bringing their outdated culture as an excuse

Exactly!

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Vanzcharles(m): 11:43am On Sep 08, 2020
LegendHero:

Bro, whatever you mean I don't understand you. If a man has an estate in Lagos or be it anywhere, all of his children are entitled to the properties be it male or female.

The ancestral home is where he comes from and he doesn't share them to the female children. A female child cannot contest for land in her homeland when she is legitimately married.

If a woman begats a child outside and she us not married the child be it a make belongs to her father and is entitled to inherit ancestral properties ( houses and land in the village).

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Ochendo1: 11:43am On Sep 08, 2020
Listen everyone and listen real good!

A Supreme court cannot supercede the customary norms and traditions of an area as it is purely optional for the people of the area to accept, mend or expunge such norms if they so decide.

Now, in this 21st century where i believe most people have embraced some form of education and are familiar with wills/trusts etc. With a valid one in place, properties, shares or monies can be shared according to the directives on the said will and no court or military force can change or administer otherwise the will except if the contenders can validly proof that such will was written without a sound/sane mind. It is important to note that a man/woman can choose to will his or her assets to whomever they want (ie. 100% can be willed to female child only or vice versa or even to charity) and cannot be questioned and can only be in contention if you can proof beyond any doubt that such was done without a proper frame of mind.

Now traditionally as an Igbo man from Mbaise, (for those rejoicing) nothing changes as i can tell you with absolute confidence that the Supreme Court ruling is just a mere judicial/academic exercise based on global human rights as to female children also being eligible to inherit their fathers properties. I believe that exercise was based on the fact that there was no will in place for which a contention for the said properties arose. Now in Mbaise land and i belive the Igbo at large... let me tell you that a woman can never inherit her fathers property in the said country home of the man in question and are solely reserved for the male children as (no military action or force, court injuction or whatsoever can change that). In the case of no known male children, an adopted son can inherit the country home. Logically, the said females are free to dwell in the said abode for as long as they like if they are not married.

It is important to differentiate between a contention for inheritance of properties cituated outside of an ancestral compound if there was no valid will in place and that of the man's (Obi) village house which are not contestable. Personally, i will "will" properties to both my male and female children in this ratio (80% for male and 20% for female, excluding individual monthly cash trust benefits that will go to all children) this is asumming that my daughters will be married outside and it is their responsiblity to go and build wealth with their husbands.

In my opinion, the Supreme court ruling does not change anything as issues of inheritance are solely the prerogative of the said owner and the directives given by the owner of the will/trust should and must be carried out.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 11:44am On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:

IN YORUBA LAND MAYBE, AS IT IS THEIR CULTURE

IGBOS TILL TOMORROW ARE GOING AHEAD WITH THEIR OWN WAY OF DOING THINGS.

YOUR SUPREME COURT WILL NEED TO GIVE US MORE GOVERNORS LIKE HOPE OZODINMA, IN OTHER TO CHANGE OUR CUSTOMS AND TRADITION.

GOODLUCK WITH DAT.
LOL you are such a dreamer my father is igbo and is not going along with any backward culture.So speak for yourself.
Whether you like it or not as long as you are a Nigerian the supreme court is your supreme court the decision is final you cannot change it and you must go ahead with it.

It will only take time but be rest assured that in years to come many of these stupid cultures will change and you may not be alive to do anything to change it because there is nothing you can do about it.

The Nigerian law has the final say.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 11:45am On Sep 08, 2020
Vanzcharles:

Bro, whatever you mean I don't understand you. If a man has an estate in Lagos or be it anywhere, all of his children are entitled to the properties be it male or female.

The ancestral home is where he comes from and he doesn't share them to the female children. A female child cannot contest for land in her homeland when she is legitimately married.

EVEN THE ONE IN LAGOS, GOES TO HIS SONS.

IT IS ONLY GIVEN TO THE FEMALE CHILD IF HE HAS NO SON.

ANCESTRAL PROPERTIES ARE A NO GO AREA FOR ANY FEMALE CHILD.

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 11:46am On Sep 08, 2020
Ochendo1:
Listen everyone and listen real good!

A Supreme court cannot supercede the customary norms and traditions of an area as it is purely optional for the people of the area to accept, mend or expunge such norms if they so decide.

Now, in this 21st century where i believe most people have embraced some form of education and are familiar with wills/trusts etc. With a valid one in place, properties, shares or monies can be shared according to the directives on the said will and no court or military force can change or administer otherwise the will except if the contenders can validly proof that such will was written without a sound/sane mind. It is important to note that a man/woman can choose to will his or her assets to whomever they want (ie. 100% can be willed to female child only or vice versa or even to charity) and cannot be questioned and can only be in contention if you can proof beyond any doubt that such was done without a proper frame of mind.

Now traditionally as an Igbo man from Mbaise, (for those rejoicing) nothing changes as i can tell you with absolute confidence that the Supreme Court ruling is just a mere judicial/academic exercise based on global human rights as to female children [b]also being eligible to inherit their fathers properties. I believe that exercise was based on the fact that there was no will in place for which a contention for the said properties arose. Now in Mbaise land and i belive the Igbo at large... let me tell you that a woman can never inherit her fathers property in the said country home of the man in question and are solely reserved for the male children as (no military action or force, court injuction or whatsoever can change that). In the case of no known male children, an adopted son can inherit the country home. Logically, the said females are free to dwell in the said abode for as long as they like if they are not married.

It is important to differentiate between a contention for inheritance of properties cituated outside of an ancestral compound if there was no valid will in place and that of the man's (Obi) village house which are not contestable. Personally, i will "will" properties to both my male and female children in this ratio (80% for male and 20% for female, excluding individual monthly cash trust benefits that will go to all children) this is asumming that my daughters will be married outside and it is their responsiblity to go and build wealth with their husbands.

In my opinion, the Supreme court ruling does not change anything as issues of inheritance are solely the prerogative of the said owner and the directives given by the owner of the will/trust should and must be carried out[/b]
@bold,LOL see you in court.

Hahahaha.
The laws will change and the decision is final let the woman go to court and she will inherit her father's property this is just scare tactics many of you use to defend yourselves and your inflated ego.
The government owns the lands before any father does so if the daughter challenges it in court be rest assured that she can get that share.
Times are changing mr man you will only cry
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LegendHero(m): 11:46am On Sep 08, 2020
Vanzcharles:

That is why I’m telling you your argument is faulty. It is not only applicable to ancestral land like you said, it applies to even land that are not ancestral.

The case where the Supreme Court made the judgement was a woman who was denied access to her father property in Lagos. Her dad owned an estate in Lagos and after his demise, the brothers failed to give her part of the inheritance and she took them to court.

Read the judgement below:
https://lawcarenigeria.com/mrs-lois-chituru-ukeje-anor-v-mrs-gladys-ada-ukeje2014/

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 11:47am On Sep 08, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

LOL you are such a dreamer my father is igbo and is not going along with any backward culture.So speak for yourself.
Whether you like it or not as long as you are a Nigerian the supreme court is your supreme court the decision is final you cannot change it and you must go ahead with it.

It will only take time but be rest assured that in years to come many of these stupid cultures will change and you may not be alive to do anything to change it because there is nothing you can do about it.

The Nigerian law has the final say.

AFONJA, LISTEN, U CAN BE CONTENDING VIRTUALLY OVER AN IGBO MAN PROPERTY, IN REAL LIFE U AND I KNOW THAT IS NOT EVEN UP FOR CONTENTION.

SO KEEP TALKING NONSENSE HERE.

I SUSPECT U ARE EVEN A YORUBA MAN SEF.

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by babajero(m): 11:48am On Sep 08, 2020
helinues:
Ndi developers still dragging about female inheritance in 21st century..

Truly, civilization came late to the region
You are a hypocrite, tell me the difference between that Igbo culture and Sharia law, nothing!, because both of them are customary law, only that the first is more humane than the other, sharia law sentenced someone to death in a democratic country where we have a law and all of you were supporting it, even the so called quota educated lawyers.
And you are here talking about a law that doesn't in any way directly or indirectly shed human blood, but keep on praising the animalistic customary law functioning in some primitive northern states that was implemented for the sole purpose of shedding blood.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by tayotheplug: 11:48am On Sep 08, 2020
Girl child have rights too.

the ought to have been abolished a very long time ago
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Vanzcharles(m): 11:48am On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:

EVEN THE ONE IN LAGOS, GOES TO HIS SONS.

IT IS ONLY GIVEN TO THE FEAMLE CHILD IF HE HAS NO SON.

ANCESTRAL PROPERTIES ARE A NO GO AREA FOR ANY FEMALE CHILD.

If I give birth to my children all if make and female. I would make sure they all taste from it be it land or houses I have anywhere in Lagos, Abuja. What I will restrict to them is the home properties that was passed from me to my father in the village. That way they would go out and marry and bear children.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by tayotheplug: 11:50am On Sep 08, 2020
Girl child have rights too.
the ought to have been abolished a very long time ago
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 11:50am On Sep 08, 2020
Vanzcharles:

If I give birth to my children all if make and female. I would make sure they all taste from it be it land or houses I have anywhere in Lagos, Abuja. What I will restrict to them is the home properties that was passed from me to my father in the village. That way they would go out and marry and bear children.

MAKE SURE U WRITE THAT IN YOUR WILL.

WAT U GIVE TO YOUR DAUGHTERS ARE GIFT.

YOUR SON ARE INHERITANCE.

IGBO CUSTOMARY LAW DOES NOT PROHIBIT YOU GIVING PROPERTIES TO YOUR DAUGHTERS.

IT PROHIBITS GIVING ANCESTRAL LAND TO YOUR DAUGHTERS.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Igbo Masquerade Preaches The Gospel Of Jesus Christ On The Street (Photo, Video) / Which Nigerian Tribe Owns Ogbono Soup, Okro Soup, Egusi Soup , Vegetable , White / Know Your Chi: How To Know Your Guardian Spirit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.