Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,836 members, 7,837,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

Beyoncé Courts Controversy With “black Face” Photo Shoot - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Beyoncé Courts Controversy With “black Face” Photo Shoot (2374 Views)

Tiwa Savage Reveals Her Baby's Face (Photo) / Black Face Causes A Scene At Hennessy Artistry Grand Finale / Why Was Faze,black Face,psquare And Dbanj Absent In 2face's Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Beyoncé Courts Controversy With “black Face” Photo Shoot by rover321: 8:06pm On Feb 24, 2011
source; http://www.myweku.com/2011/02/beyonce-courts-controversy-with-black-face-photo-shoot/

As usual the musician whose parentage is racially mixed is facing criticisms from those who find the magazine’s cover offensive. Anyone who has followed Beyoncé’s career closely perhaps knows that she is likely to have agreed for the photo shoot to be done not out of mockery to Africans but perhaps more out of making an artistic statement.

What do you think?

Re: Beyoncé Courts Controversy With “black Face” Photo Shoot by savanaha: 9:49pm On Feb 24, 2011
As a non African American I know that there is a bitter history behind black face. Therefore I am not sure how Beyonce who is actually an African American did not take this into consideration when she agreed to wear black face as an "artisitic" endevour.

Plus the picture is supposedly paying tribute to Fela Kuti and honoring African Queens. Really!?! What exactly about these pictures is honoring Fela or Africa?
Do Africans only come in one skin shade or are there really no Africans that are the same complexion as Beyonce?
Does Beyonce who is AFRICAN American need for only her face to be painted black to honor African Queens?
Are there no dark models who could be used for the shoot instead of darkening her face?

To pretend that this was done as an artistic expression is quite ludicrous.
Personally I think she did it because she would be paid good money. Get more exposure although she already has plenty. And stir up  controversy, which is good  for business. Because in the entrainment industry publicity, whether negative or positive publicity is publicity.
Re: Beyoncé Courts Controversy With “black Face” Photo Shoot by obowunmi(m): 10:31pm On Feb 24, 2011
^^^ well said. There are many pretty, young, black, beautiful, dark skinned model. I try not to pay attention to these things, I find them annoying.
Re: Beyoncé Courts Controversy With “black Face” Photo Shoot by Tunmi(f): 6:05am On Feb 25, 2011
The first picture honors Fela more than the second one. The entire thing just reeked of disgust.
1. The blackface was unnecessary. There are Nigerians lighter than and the same complexion as Beyonce.
2. The make-up is horrible. Could they not get someone from the set of Fela! the musical. Where is the color, the life?
3. The outfits are horrible. What's with the leopard print? (which was made by her mother no less)

It begs the question? Was this just to promote her mother's business or to promote something else because it is an insult really.
Re: Beyoncé Courts Controversy With “black Face” Photo Shoot by ragdollz: 6:31am On Feb 25, 2011
I guess the use of the blackface theme was just a bold move to rid us all of all those archaic beliefs of the evils of "blackface" itself. There was a time 'black' models (of any shade) would never dream of being on the cover of mainstream magazines. Beyonce has taken it further with this move.

Either that, or these people have run out of ideas and want to simply add shock value to their tasteless cover shoot grin
Re: Beyoncé Courts Controversy With “black Face” Photo Shoot by mukina2: 11:40am On Feb 25, 2011

(1)

Pictures: Ini Edo Features Uti, Genevieve, Uche Jombo, Ramsey Nouah In New Movie / BREAKING NEWS: Neil Armstrong, The First Man On The Moon, Dead At Age 82 / Photo: Mercy Johnson's Daughter, Purity, Celebrates First Valentine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.