Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,835 members, 7,820,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. (33649 Views)

Banks, Businesses Comply With CBN Directive On Old Notes — But Shortage Persists / Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria / FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by naptu2: 10:11am On Sep 18, 2020
See previous thread here.

FG Asks All Account Holders In Financial Institutions To Re-Register Despite BVN
https://www.nairaland.com/6126530/fg-asks-all-account-holders

The Federal Inland Revenue Service has clarified the directive on self certification by bank account holders.

The Federal Government Twitter account had erroneously tweeted that all bank account holders in Nigeria were to obtain the self certification forms from their bank. The tweet has now been deleted.

In 2014 the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) had developed a common reporting standard (CRS) with which members could exchange information about people that have bank accounts and other financial dealings in multiple countries. Read more about the CRS here.
https://www.oecd.org/tax/automatic-exchange/common-reporting-standard/

In compliance with that protocol, people who have bank accounts in other countries and foreigners who have bank accounts in Nigeria are required to obtain, fill and submit the self certification forms. This does not apply to all bank account holders in Nigeria. (This is to enable governments to collect tax from their citizens that are based abroad). The banks are expected to know the customers that this directive applies to (due to the Know Your Customer [KYC] programme) and to inform them of the directive.

Here is the FIRS statement.

FIRS Nigeria @firsNigeria

This is to clarify the publication for financial institutions account holders in Nigeria to complete the self certification form, pursuant to the Income Tax (Common Reporting Standard) Regulations 2019 which is for the fulfilment of Automatic Exchange of Information Requirements.

The Self Certification form is basically to be administered on Reportable persons holding accounts in Financial institutions that are regarded as "Reportable Financial Institutions” under the CRS. Reportable persons are often non-residents.

and other persons who have residence for tax purposes in more than one jurisdiction or Country. Financial Institutions are expected to administer the Self Certification form on such account holders when information at its disposal indicates that the Account holder is a person

resident for tax purpose in more than one jurisdiction. The information that indicates an account holder is a resident for tax purposes in more than one jurisdiction,is expected to be available to Financial Institutions during account opening processes for the KYC and AML purpose

https://mobile.twitter.com/firsNigeria/status/1306754572166279171

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by Enudapan: 10:12am On Sep 18, 2020
Nna eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by BigEcommerce: 10:12am On Sep 18, 2020
I cant stop reading this over and over again. Nigeria and massive problem.

Do you have products you sell? Why not get an online ecommerce store to showcase and sell the products to your customers, fully automated. Check my signature for contact details.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by softset: 10:16am On Sep 18, 2020
I am thinking these government officials are usually drunk and possibly high on some shit in the evenings, why would the social media handle of the government say A in the morning while another agency says B in the evening.

Dont they have a chain of command that reviews all that goes out to the public?

My advise for those that have the opportunity to leave this country...please move fast. I did that over 20 years ago and have no single regret. Get another passport as option B. If only for the sake of your children.

Although I am back, but in a MUCH better situation.

161 Likes 7 Shares

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by geesilver(m): 10:25am On Sep 18, 2020
they are after our hard earned money

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by jericco1(m): 10:25am On Sep 18, 2020
The federal government should learn to harmonize such sensitive news piece before dishing it out to the general public.

They should stop behaving like reprobates. undecided

36 Likes

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by Tokkson: 10:26am On Sep 18, 2020
K
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by soberdrunk(m): 10:26am On Sep 18, 2020
See confusion everywhere, to think I made enemies supporting this government only for them to reward me with incompetence and shameful acts every other day breaks my heart everyday....... angry I nor just know wetin make me fall in love and believe Buhari die that year, I was defending him as if they were paying me for PR, I was under strong illusion that in 2 years he will have transformed Nigeria....... angry

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by Iruobean(m): 10:26am On Sep 18, 2020
wink
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by Nazgul: 10:26am On Sep 18, 2020
Hmmm...at lease we won't have to line up in the bank for hours over irrelevant issues. Case closed

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by geesilver(m): 10:26am On Sep 18, 2020
I hope this government knows what they really want from us.....

above all God no go shame us

6 Likes

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by AFULA(m): 10:26am On Sep 18, 2020
okay
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by osejie17(m): 10:26am On Sep 18, 2020
NA DEM SABI

1 Like

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by inoki247: 10:26am On Sep 18, 2020
I think say dem wan pass message say dem hacked dem or na opposition type am for dere Twitter

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by Slawormir: 10:26am On Sep 18, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Some times ehnnnn you go just dey feel say the people way dey handle government social media platforms don high

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by adioolayi(m): 10:26am On Sep 18, 2020
All we are saying is.. harmonise our data base or make the process simple by providing e-forms. Don't start pushing Nigerians around like headless chicken.

Now that we voiced out...you now make a U-turn.

3 Likes

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by DirtyGold: 10:26am On Sep 18, 2020
I'd rather say it was a stunt to test public response because you cannot tell me that it is the same person that issued the directive that composed and tweeted it... Yeye dey smell!

The government clearly sees the citizens as customers... this current administration just happens to shamelessly highlight and spotlight that fact.

Where other sensible governments around the world are constantly asking and seeking how to protect and give their citizens benefits, ours here are constantly looking for ways to inflict pain and hardship on its citizens... and they are never short of these ideas. That's why they loot mindlessly and do everything for personal interest. The ones done to look like public benefit are actually done to gather political clout...

God punish all the vampires in the corridor of power, amen!

What's tha business?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by MrPresident1: 10:27am On Sep 18, 2020
grin
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by johnshagb(m): 10:27am On Sep 18, 2020
The Federal Government Twitter account had erroneously tweeted that all bank account holders in Nigeria were to obtain the self certification forms from their bank. The tweet has now been deleted.

That's a relief. I can't imagine myself going to queue at the bank for hours so the government can screw me over once more with my hard earned money. That kind of information should be scrutinized properly before being released to the public.

Imagine the kind of tension that brought to the people. Just preposterous

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by Zico5(m): 10:27am On Sep 18, 2020
(This is to enable governments to collect tax from their citizens that are based abroad). I don't really understand what's going on in this country. They are running out of idea thereby putting immense pressure on people based abroad. These people are paying tax in their respective country and is it a sin to save money in ur own country. This is a bad precedence on the part of the government calling themselves progressive. For how long will the masses continue to bear the burden of this government. No direction, no way forward. Everything is just upsidedown.

14 Likes

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by tillaman(m): 10:27am On Sep 18, 2020
If you know you know
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by brownemmanuel43(m): 10:27am On Sep 18, 2020

Land Mark: The Young Shall Grow Company

Description: The front 2story of 6 flat the each of the flat is 2 bedroom then the one at the back is a story building first floor is 3bedroom of 2flat and down is a room and pallor swlf contain in 4 place in all comprising 12 families

Price: 29m for the two buildings
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by samtee37(m): 10:27am On Sep 18, 2020
Why are this government behaving like someone in the 19th century undecided
Cant they just digitize everything instead of going to bank with all the stress

I weak

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by Sonoyom(m): 10:27am On Sep 18, 2020
Semi illiterates plenty for this administration sha.

3 Likes

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by Jwonder(m): 10:27am On Sep 18, 2020
osejie17:
NA DEM SABI

Don’t say such, that kind of mentality is bad, the masses are the ones to suffer the consequences of government’s bad policies, when they try to enforce such policies SPEAK OUT, Else your silence is encouraging then to continue with such bad policies.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by bigdammyj: 10:27am On Sep 18, 2020
Noted
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by ORIAYO70(m): 10:28am On Sep 18, 2020
naptu2:
See previous thread here.

FG Asks All Account Holders In Financial Institutions To Re-Register Despite BVN
https://www.nairaland.com/6126530/fg-asks-all-account-holders

The Federal Inland Revenue Service has clarified the directive on self certification by bank account holders.

In 2014 the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) had developed a common reporting standard (CRS) with which members could exchange information about people that have bank

accounts and other financial dealings in multiple countries. Read more about the CRS here.
https://www.oecd.org/tax/automatic-exchange/common-reporting-standard/

In compliance with that protocol, people

who have bank accounts in other countries and foreigners who have bank accounts in Nigeria
are required to obtain, fill and submit the self certification forms. This does not apply to all bank account holders in Nigeria. (Thi

s is to enable governments to collect tax from their citizens that are based abroad). The banks are expected to know the customers that this directive applies to (due to the Know Your Customer [KYC] programme) and to inform

them of the directive.

Here is the FIRS statement.

FIRS Nigeria @firsNigeria

https://mobile.twitter.com/firsNigeria/status/1306754572166279171

Confusionist everywhere... Misleading the populace.

1 Like

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by gurunlocker: 10:28am On Sep 18, 2020
Better!
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by NaijaOlosho(f): 10:28am On Sep 18, 2020
undecided
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by deepwater(f): 10:29am On Sep 18, 2020
LOL

Clarification that is more confusing than the initial message meant to be clarified

undecided

2 Likes

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by Barka00(m): 10:29am On Sep 18, 2020
End time ni?
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by dyera(m): 10:29am On Sep 18, 2020
I be don fear say for this social distancing period wey to enter bank deposit money you need to wait outside for more than two hours, them come tell people to pack go bank, heh.

Anyway, those of you that will be going to vote tomorrow, no vote for broom o, no vote for broom. Vote the umbrella party.

12 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Inside Abuja Local Tea Stall Where Cryptocurrency Is Accepted As Payment / Why We Should Reject The N10,000 Withdrawal Limit / Help, My Late Mum's Money Is Stuck In Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.