Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,934 members, 7,835,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

My Travel Experience: Not All Nigerians Is Corrupt - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Travel Experience: Not All Nigerians Is Corrupt (802 Views)

I Travel On The Lagos Ibadan Train For Free. Nairalander Share Travel Experience / Share Your Worst Or Funny Travel Experience / My Travel Experience To East Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Travel Experience: Not All Nigerians Is Corrupt by MiamiePizza(m): 10:07pm On Sep 18, 2020
Good evening, I'll like to share my travel experience moving from the South side of Naija to the North.
It was a beautiful sunny morning on Thursday September 17th 2020... Oops permit me to make an intro of myself. My name is Miamie I'm a student of one of the state owned tertiary institution in the North central part of Nigeria, I'm from the south side of the Naija. OK, I think I can continue my story now.
I received a call on Monday 14th September 2020 from my course mate telling me I gotta be in school latest Thursday 17th September 'cause we gon' be having a test/submission of assignment on Friday and Saturday same week. I traveled from Lagos to Benin city on Wednesday 16th September and very early on Thursday I boarded a bus going to Okene from Benin. I didn't pass through the Benin-Auchi express, although this is shorter, I boarded a bus going to Owo 'cause I needed to drop something to someone at Ifon ondo state. I didn't take direct bus to my destination 'cause of the hike of the transportation fare.
Now my real experience. After boarding a bus from Owo to Okene, on getting to Isua a passenger really wanted to attend to the call of nature so everyone seized the opportunity to alight and stretch leg in the normal Naija way. I really didn't know my phone fell down on alighting from the car, I got to notice its disappearance on getting to Okene. I got my other phone with me(small normal torchlight phone) which I used In constant communication with my sister. I told the driver of my phone disappearance. He stopped the car and helped me search the car if it fell down inside the car but to no avail. Other passengers inside the car said they doubt if I carried the phone from home and they only see me with my other smaller phone. I was asked to call the phone but I told them it was switched of my me before leaving home(I purposely switched it off 'cause there was not much battery let in it).
I just tried the phone with hopes and it rang, a man picked the phone and this is the conversations between us...
Me:Good afternoon bros
Man:Good afternoon
Me:Bros abeg my phone fall for ground, you help me see ham, abeg I want ham back
Man:Come....(poor network) call ends.
I gave the driver phone and he called him back. After the call the man said he is in Isua and I should come take the phone. Jeez Isua, and I'm in Okene already, this is past 2pm I'm still going to one of the state capital of one state in the North central state. I got no choice than to go back... That phone is damn expensive and its still pretty new(I never use my money comot lol).
I called the man again and this again is our conversation
Me:Sir, make I come carry the phone? Na Okene I dey so o
Man:Come, come I go give you
Me:I wan enter Isua motor like this o
Man:No worry, when you reach Isua stop for o***** garage, call me I go come out meet you
Me:I no too here you your network no too good(phone hangs)

Immediately my sister's call entered and I told her I just lost my big phone. To be continued...

1 Like

Re: My Travel Experience: Not All Nigerians Is Corrupt by ibuildstuff(m): 10:34pm On Sep 18, 2020
Booked
Re: My Travel Experience: Not All Nigerians Is Corrupt by MiamiePizza(m): 3:25pm On Sep 19, 2020
I boarded a bus going to Akure and I stopped at Isua. Mind you I left Okene (kogi state) passed through Lampese, Ibillo(Edo state) to Isua(ondo state) chai I yaff suffered today. When I got to Isua I stopped at okada garage, called my number but it was switched off(chai, I talk ham e don happen). I explained my ordeal to the okada guys there, begged one of them for his phone and called my number but it was still off, I got no option than to move from garage to garage asking and looking for my oga that's helping me keep my phone. This is my line I use at all garage...

Miamie: Good afternoon Sir, abeg I dey go my phone fall for ground for Isua here, I don reach Okene before I know and I call the line the person wey help me see ham say him dey Isua and make I come carry ham say if I reach garage make I call ham him go come out give me the phone but I dey try call the line now e no go, I no know if na this garage and if him leave message down.
Some responded well and a lot didn't. Some said I can't get the phone again as I've been scammed and some said 'don't worry you'll get your phone back since he asked you to come'.
After moving round four garage and i couldn't see the Samaritan who epp mi see my phone. Iwas about going when I got a call from my sis asking if I had seen the man, I told him I no as I've moved round all garages in Isua. She told me the last time she called he said he was at obasanjo garage... I was like Obasanjo garage? OK thank you. I flagged a bike and directly to Obj's garage. I explained my ordeal to a man and he directed me to one Danladi meshai. Danladi meshai directed me to one guy(I don't know his name) operating a phone charging center inside the garage. When I got there I also explained to him and he told me to wait for the guy. He said don't worry you'll get your phone, brethren I wait taya. I waited more than 2hrs for my daddy to come�. My brain finally entered reset mode and told me mumu boy, ask this guy if he get this guy number make he help you call ham, I asked and he didn't got his number. I said in my mind(guy you go still wait taya), He come be like say I dey wait for the second coming of Jesus Mary pikin. Naso I dey look up, down, left and right for my daddy o�.
One guy finally got his number and called him, he said he was coming immediately. Brethren, lol and behold, the savoir came with my phone in his hand, with open hands welcoming me home�. He apologised for the delay, handed over the phone to me and told me to be going immediately as its almost dark. He collected my number and gave me his. I tried tipping him but he declined. He said he's just happy I got my phone back. He asked where I'm from and I told him, he told me he is a Fulani man and his name is Jibril.
I left Isua few minutes past 6pm and got home few minutes to 11pm. Mr jibril kept calling me through the journey to ask where I am. After I got home, I put a call him thanking him and letting him know I'm I'm home, called my sister and my momma, had my bath and thanked God for the journey mercies.
This experience changed my thinking of 'All Nigerians is corrupt'. Trust me there is still many good Nigerians out there. Thank you Mr jibril, I know you won't be seeing or reading this but you are a good person. God bless you for me. I love you, muah!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Travel Experience: Not All Nigerians Is Corrupt by Kalapizim(m): 3:36pm On Sep 19, 2020
Thanks for this
Re: My Travel Experience: Not All Nigerians Is Corrupt by Clicked: 4:03pm On Sep 19, 2020
The average northerner is usually honest.

I had an experience like this once. I was in traffic coming back from church at night and there was a fuel tanker that had overturned and people were scooping the spilled petrol. The traffic was crawling and our car finally got to where the fallen tanker was when suddenly it exploded. Cue total confusion.

I don't even remember jumping out of the car but when I stopped running I could neither find my phone which I was holding before nor my parents and aunt who were in the car with me.

Long story short, these random Hausa guys helped me find my parents (they too were asking around, looking for my aunt and I). They also helped me get back my phone which was stolen when I dropped it and ran. Apparently when people were busy running for their lives, someone was going around stealing valuables from their abandoned cars.

Another time, my sis gave her brand new phone to her friend to use and it fell out of that one's pocket. One Hausa man then called me and said he found the phone on the floor that I should come and collect it for the owner. I had to call my sister's roommate to speak to my sis. She didn't even know what had happened to her phone yet.

So yeah, there are many bad eggs but we still have a few good ones.

3 Likes

Re: My Travel Experience: Not All Nigerians Is Corrupt by molybdenum0012: 4:16pm On Sep 19, 2020
Thank God for you.

I had similar experience back in the days. It was a new iPhone 6 I just got. It slipped from my bag inside Keke tricycle . As soon I got off the Keke, I realized I could not find my phone in my bag. I was confused 'cos I could not even identify the exact tricycle I boarded. I even thought I did not take th phone with me from home. I ran back home check, I did not see it. Then it dawn on me that the phone had dropped in the Keke.

So, I dialed my line and a man picked after 3 dials. He told me a lady found it inside his Keke and told me the location to wait for me to get it. I was so surprised and full of joy. About few minutes later, I had stood at the filling station he asked me to wait. A keke then stop in front of me, guess what, a lady handed my iPhone 6 to me just like that. I felt like hugging her right away, but I just thanked her and the Keke driver and walked away.

There are still good people in Nigeria in minority . No way all 200 millions Nigeria population gonna be corrupt.

3 Likes

Re: My Travel Experience: Not All Nigerians Is Corrupt by dasparrow: 5:34pm On Sep 19, 2020
Clicked:
The average northerner is usually honest.

I had an experience like this once. I was in traffic coming back from church at night and there was a fuel tanker that had overturned and people were scooping the spilled petrol. The traffic was crawling and our car finally got to where the fallen tanker was when suddenly it exploded. Cue total confusion.

I don't even remember jumping out of the car but when I stopped running I could neither find my phone which I was holding before nor my parents and aunt who were in the car with me.

Long story short, these random Hausa guys helped me find my parents (they too were asking around, looking for my aunt and I). They also helped me get back my phone which was stolen when I dropped it and ran. Apparently when people were busy running for their lives, someone was going around stealing valuables from their abandoned cars.

Another time, my sis gave her brand new phone to her friend to use and it fell out of that one's pocket. One Hausa man then called me and said he found the phone on the floor that I should come and collect it for the owner. I had to call my sister's roommate to speak to my sis. She didn't even know what had happened to her phone yet.

So yeah, there are many bad eggs but we still have a few good ones.

Of course not all Nigerians are corrupt. You have good and bad apples in every bunch.
Re: My Travel Experience: Not All Nigerians Is Corrupt by Asquare84(m): 10:15pm On Sep 19, 2020
If it an IBO man that fund that phone I can bet you that the phone is lost forever
Re: My Travel Experience: Not All Nigerians Is Corrupt by MiamiePizza(m): 12:37pm On Sep 20, 2020
Asquare84:
If it an IBO man that fund that phone I can bet you that the phone is lost forever
Maybe he may have returned it, maybe he may have kept it too. I don't think being bad or corrupt got to do with one's tribe or Religion, its just self discipline. We've heard bad stories of Pastors, Imam and Traditional leaders short comings. There are also stories of Area boys forming vigilante group to stop crime in their area. The same tribe 'Fulani' killing and causing lotta Havocs helped me see my phone, collected my number and kept calling me through my journey to make sure I got home safely. Being bad and being good is a choice. They say Edo girl are prostitutes but not all Edo girls are prostitutes... Yoruba women like pepper but not all Yoruba women like pepper... Pastors are good people but not all pastors are really good. Being good or bad is a choice of self discipline.

1 Like

Re: My Travel Experience: Not All Nigerians Is Corrupt by Nobody: 12:49pm On Sep 20, 2020
Am praying to see someone's iPhone 11 unlocked in the street. I know what I'll do with it. grin

(1) (Reply)

Read Why US Govt Barred Nigeria From Visa Lottery / Man Narrowly Escapes Death As Speeding Tipper Rams Into Him In Rivers (Photos) / Relocation! Relocation!! Relocation!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.