Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,906 members, 7,814,064 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

The Growth Mecahnism: The Word - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Growth Mecahnism: The Word (576 Views)

The Growth And Expansion Of Christianity / An Article On The Growth Of Nigerian Churches In The Uk / Is Bible The Word of God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Growth Mecahnism: The Word by mabell: 9:11am On Feb 27, 2011
As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby (1 Peter 2:2).

Just as good nutrition is indispensable to proper physical growth, God’s Word is the essential nourishment for spiritual growth. Someone who is malnourished wouldn’t have enough resistance when sickness or disease attacks his body. It’s the same spiritually. When a Christian neglects God’s Word, He’ll be susceptible to attacks from the devil and subject to the elements and circumstances of the world around him.

To grow unto maturity in Christ, you must voraciously feed on God’s Word. The Bible says, “As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the Word that you may grow thereby” (1 Peter 2:2).

When Paul told the Corinthian church that he fed them with milk and “not with meat”
2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

he wasn’t referring to physical food. He was referring to God’s Word. Even David, in the Old Testament understood the importance of feeding on the Word, hence he said, “your word shall I meditate upon day and night” (Psalm 1:2).

For the Word of God to dwell in you richly, you must esteem and desire it more than your necessary food. This is how to move to the next level in your Christian life; getting more rooted and grounded in the Word. Be unshakable and unmovable in your resolve to get the best out of the Word. Feed your spirit with the Word today.

Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Study and meditate on the word of God daily, for it is your only mechanism to spiritual growth
Re: The Growth Mecahnism: The Word by PastorAIO: 1:01pm On Feb 27, 2011
mabell:

As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby (1 Peter 2:2).

Just as good nutrition is indispensable to proper physical growth, God’s Word is the essential nourishment for spiritual growth. Someone who is malnourished wouldn’t have enough resistance when sickness or disease attacks his body. It’s the same spiritually. When a Christian neglects God’s Word, He’ll be susceptible to attacks from the devil and subject to the elements and circumstances of the world around him.

To grow unto maturity in Christ, you must voraciously feed on God’s Word. The Bible says, “As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the Word that you may grow thereby” (1 Peter 2:2).

When Paul told the Corinthian church that he fed them with milk and “not with meat”
2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

he wasn’t referring to physical food. He was referring to God’s Word. Even David, in the Old Testament understood the importance of feeding on the Word, hence he said, “your word shall I meditate upon day and night” (Psalm 1:2).

For the Word of God to dwell in you richly, you must esteem and desire it more than your necessary food. This is how to move to the next level in your Christian life; getting more rooted and grounded in the Word. Be unshakable and unmovable in your resolve to get the best out of the Word. Feed your spirit with the Word today.

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Study and meditate on the word of God daily, for it is your only mechanism to spiritual growth

In the spirit of studying the bible deeper by looking closer at the text in their original language I want to investigate these passages offered here.

The Greek word translated as 'the word' here is Logikos (λογικὸς). It is an adjective derived from the greek word logos. This is what Strong's has to say about it:

reasonable, rational
Original Word: λογικός, ή, όν
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: logikos
Phonetic Spelling: (log-ik-os')
Short Definition: reasonable, rational, metaphorical
Definition: (a) reasonable, rational, (b) metaphorical, as contrasted with the literal.
http://strongsnumbers.com/greek/3050.htm

The passage could well be rendered as: Like a Newborn baby, desire the milk of Reason, so that you may grow.
In other words be logical and nurture a rational attitude. Desire reasonableness.

----------

your word shall I meditate upon day and night” (Psalm 1:2)

What is translated as Word here is in fact Torah, which is the Jewish Law.

But his delight is in the law of the LORD and in his law doth he meditate day and night

direction, instruction, law
Original Word: תּוֹרָה
Transliteration: torah
Phonetic Spelling: (to-raw')
Short Definition: law
http://strongsnumbers.com/hebrew/8451.htm

Let[b] the word [/b]of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

'The Word' here is not torah or logikos (the adjective) but Logos the noun which carries a slightly different nuance.

a word (as embodying an idea), a statement, a speech

Original Word: λόγος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: logos
Phonetic Spelling: (log'-os)
Short Definition: a word, speech, divine utterance, analogy
Definition: a word

http://strongsnumbers.com/greek/3056.htm

Logos is an idea spoken, or a thought expressed. The Logos of Christ therefore could be interpreted as the sayings of Christ.
Re: The Growth Mecahnism: The Word by PastorAIO: 1:02pm On Feb 27, 2011
By the way, I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't study scripture, I'm just encouraging us all to look deeper into what the original meanings of biblical terms are.
Re: The Growth Mecahnism: The Word by Nobody: 4:00pm On Feb 27, 2011
@Mabell & PastorAIO.God bless you both.

PastorAIO, I realise dud to exposé that this could be translated as ''Like newborn babies,desire the sincere milk of MEDITATION''.Also Your Law/Torah/Word/'Sayings' (God spoke the Law to Moses hence they are God's sayings)shall I meditate on day and night.Finally,let the 'Sayings' of God dwell richly in you.You would agree that it is unlikely that the Word will dwell richly without some form of rumination(meditation).

Would you agree?(I am dead sure though).

(1) (Reply)

Serving God? / Spiritual Death / We Design Religeous Website For Your Church,ministries,organisation.call 08030559825

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.