Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,909 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

I'm Thinking Of Getting Dreadlocks: - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / I'm Thinking Of Getting Dreadlocks: (3063 Views)

Poll: Should I get it?

Yes: 100% (2 votes)
No: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Afro, Dreadlocks, Low-cut, Cornrows Or Skincut? Which Do You Prefer? / DREADLOCKS.. YOUR PRECIOUS ADVICE IS NEEDED! / Clean Cut, Waves, Braids, Or Dreadlocks On Men? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Thinking Of Getting Dreadlocks: by sima(f): 11:03pm On Feb 27, 2011
What do you guys think?,  I'm not sure if I should or not. I need your opinions plz.
Re: I'm Thinking Of Getting Dreadlocks: by VIO1(m): 11:36pm On Feb 27, 2011
do u really need that as a girl/lady?
Re: I'm Thinking Of Getting Dreadlocks: by InkedNerd(f): 12:15am On Feb 28, 2011
@OP: Sure, if that's what you really wanna do then go for it. I know a couple of website on how to care and maintain for loc'd hair. I think it would look nice on you by the way. I have natural hair and I love it. I once thought about getting locs a couple of years ago. Don't be afraid to embrace loc'd hair because of societal views wink kiss.

V I O:

do u really need that as a girl/lady?

What do you mean by "do u really need that as a girl/lady?"? Is there some rule or law that says only men can have locs? tongue
Re: I'm Thinking Of Getting Dreadlocks: by Cool: 10:47am On Mar 01, 2011
Hi Sima,
I've been wearing my locs for almost 4 years so, I can give some informed opinion about your question.
It is very important to know/remember that the decision about how you wear your hair is very personal (provided you're an adult and mum no longer chooses your hair styles!). So, nobody can really tell you whether to do it, or not to do it. You're the boss, you get to decide!
Consideration of these matters may help you decide.
1. Why am I considering locs? Fashion trend, grow healthy hair, get time off from frequent salon visits etc. List your reasons.
2. Can I handle the attitude that could be exhibited or opinions that could be expressed by some people who don't like the idea of locs?
3. Can I handle locs at work, socially, in my religious circles etc?
4. , Some other things that may come to your mind,
Now, to my experience:
Prior to starting my locs, I had severely damaged hair. I had lost most of the hair at my temples i.e. both sides of my head to excessive application of relaxer, friction from braids etc. As you can imagine, over many years, I had spent a lot of money on different hair products without success (of course, there is always something new in the market to try).
I finally had to accept the fact that the best opportunity I could give my hair was to allow it grow by itself and regain its natural strength. I couldn't imagine weaving my hair like a secondary school girl, changing my hairstyle every 3 days from suku to patewo, ipako elede etc (I remember those days  wink). I decided for the ultimate comeback! A style that would give the least friction to my scalp and be fashionable. Dreadlocks was it!
Since starting my locs, over 50% of my lost hair has grown back and that is fantastic when I compare that to all my efforts in over 10years prior to starting locs. Apart from that,  my locs are beautiful and get me looks of admiration. Yes o!
I must let you know though, that contrary to the commonly held impression that locs are an easy way to maintain your hair, I will tell you that if you want the type of locs that look well maintained, it will take your time and dedication; even more so at the beginning and that could be about 12 to 18 months.
So much can be said about locs, the most important thing to do before starting is to consider your personal situation. If you are not sure, you could give it a try and if you don't like it you can undo it. Yes, if your locs are not yet mature (preferably within 6 months of starting) and you have used the twist method to do your locs, you can undo the locs. I loosened mine after about 6 to 7 months because I thought it was taking too long to loc and I was going to the salon too much. About 4 months after loosening it, I restarted and I haven't looked back since then!
Cheers.
Re: I'm Thinking Of Getting Dreadlocks: by InkedNerd(f): 6:52am On Mar 02, 2011
Nice write up Cool wink
Re: I'm Thinking Of Getting Dreadlocks: by ladygaga(f): 10:24pm On Mar 04, 2011
i have bn thinkin of doin dreadlocks too>>>>>>>>>>>>am tired of relaxers and things>i want to grow natural hair now but i cant imagine goin through the pains i went thru in those days> my hair Has neva bn as long as befoRe i had it relaxed in pry four, PLS I NEED DIRECTIONS ON WHERE TO DO THAT HERE IN LAGOS. THANKYOU
Re: I'm Thinking Of Getting Dreadlocks: by annabee(f): 4:53pm On Sep 01, 2012
Cool: Hi Sima,
I've been wearing my locs for almost 4 years so, I can give some informed opinion about your question.
It is very important to know/remember that the decision about how you wear your hair is very personal (provided you're an adult and mum no longer chooses your hair styles!). So, nobody can really tell you whether to do it, or not to do it. You're the boss, you get to decide!
Consideration of these matters may help you decide.
1. Why am I considering locs? Fashion trend, grow healthy hair, get time off from frequent salon visits etc. List your reasons.
2. Can I handle the attitude that could be exhibited or opinions that could be expressed by some people who don't like the idea of locs?
3. Can I handle locs at work, socially, in my religious circles etc?
4. , Some other things that may come to your mind,
Now, to my experience:
Prior to starting my locs, I had severely damaged hair. I had lost most of the hair at my temples i.e. both sides of my head to excessive application of relaxer, friction from braids etc. As you can imagine, over many years, I had spent a lot of money on different hair products without success (of course, there is always something new in the market to try).
I finally had to accept the fact that the best opportunity I could give my hair was to allow it grow by itself and regain its natural strength. I couldn't imagine weaving my hair like a secondary school girl, changing my hairstyle every 3 days from suku to patewo, ipako elede etc (I remember those days  wink). I decided for the ultimate comeback! A style that would give the least friction to my scalp and be fashionable. Dreadlocks was it!
Since starting my locs, over 50% of my lost hair has grown back and that is fantastic when I compare that to all my efforts in over 10years prior to starting locs. Apart from that,  my locs are beautiful and get me looks of admiration. Yes o!
I must let you know though, that contrary to the commonly held impression that locs are an easy way to maintain your hair, I will tell you that if you want the type of locs that look well maintained, it will take your time and dedication; even more so at the beginning and that could be about 12 to 18 months.
So much can be said about locs, the most important thing to do before starting is to consider your personal situation. If you are not sure, you could give it a try and if you don't like it you can undo it. Yes, if your locs are not yet mature (preferably within 6 months of starting) and you have used the twist method to do your locs, you can undo the locs. I loosened mine after about 6 to 7 months because I thought it was taking too long to loc and I was going to the salon too much. About 4 months after loosening it, I restarted and I haven't looked back since then!
Cheers.

tanx. Pls where did u lock ur hair. Phone number wil be appreciated

(1) (Reply)

Best Cleansers For Acne Prone Skin / Slim Fittted Ladies Blazers / Yoruba Traditional Wedding 2023 | Yoruba Wedding Dresses | Best Yoruba Tradition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.