Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,906 members, 7,814,064 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

How To Win Your Hubby With Edikang Ikong (edikaikong Soup) AKA Vegetable Soup - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Win Your Hubby With Edikang Ikong (edikaikong Soup) AKA Vegetable Soup (1208 Views)

How To Make Vegetable Soup With Bitter Leaves And Water Leaves. / Husband In Tears As Wife Showers Praises On Him For Being A Good Hubby / Lady Allows Her Hubby To Marry 2nd Wife, Even Feeds Her On The Wedding Day(pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Win Your Hubby With Edikang Ikong (edikaikong Soup) AKA Vegetable Soup by SoupEmbassy: 2:36pm On Sep 24, 2020
In Africa, food is the fastest way to a mans heart. He can get sex anywhere, but good food will keep him coming back.

Some millennial men seems to be a bit ok with the millennial wifey kind of fast food, but most men still love awesome swallow especially when they are at home.

A bowl of pounded yam, fufu or eba with a nicely prepared bowl of vegetable base soup can woke that side of him that seem to be gone due to everyday stress.

There are a lot of vegetable soup out there, but so far, Edikaikong Soup seem to be the real vegetable soup. By Edikaikong Soup, I mean the vegetable soup made by the Ibibios or Efiks people of South South region in Nigeria.

The soup involves a lots of preparation and honestly, requires one to be a very good mood to get the consistency right.
It's delicious, nutritious, and full of essential vitamins only when eating fresh.

So here's my hands down recipe from my grandma on how to make a tasty Edikaikong soup.

I kg 5 bunch of Pumpkin leave (Ugwu), 500 g water leaves, 2 handful Ntong (scent leaves or Effirin, I kg Assorted Meat, Ponmo, 200 ml (2 cups) Palm oil, I medium onions, I Cup of periwinkles, Head I Large stockfish, 2 Medium Sized Smoked Fish, 6 fresh Yellow pepper (pounded), I Cup pounded Crayfish, 1/2 Cup Dried Shrimps (slightly pounded), 1 tbs black Pepper, 2 stock cubes, Salt.

Steps
Before cooking, I like to pick, wash properly and allow to drain then slice all the vegetables. Ugwu, water leaves and scent leaves. Put each in separate bowls.

Wash you Meats, seasons accordingly and cook till almost tender, then add the washed Stock fish head and cook... Make sure the meat stock is almost Dried...we don't need water in the soup, cause the water leaves and palm will generate stock for the soup.

Before the stock Dried out completely, add water leaves, pour in the palm oil, add Periwinkles, pounded fresh pepper and stir properly. cook for 3-5 mins. (Ensure you don't over cook the water leaves)

Add in Ugwu, scent leaves, pounded shrimps, smoked fish, black pepper, stock cubes and stir the content of the pot very well..Cover the pot and leave to cook for 5mins

Lastly, according to my Grandma's recipe, you add the pounded Crayfish and taste for salt, give it a stir and that's it.(pls be mindful of the salt and stock cubes, cause vegetable soup can easily become salty)

Remove from fire and enjoy with Fufu, Pounded Yam, Semo, Samvita or even Eba.

If you are too busy to prepare a bowl, you can order for edikaikong soup online and Soup Embassy will deliver it to your home in Lagos or Abuja

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Win Your Hubby With Edikang Ikong (edikaikong Soup) AKA Vegetable Soup by lilyheaven: 2:57pm On Sep 24, 2020
thanks for sharing, but i didn't know scent leaf is used for vegetable soup
Re: How To Win Your Hubby With Edikang Ikong (edikaikong Soup) AKA Vegetable Soup by merieam16(f): 7:50pm On Sep 24, 2020
Nice 1 buh dez no picz to show it
Re: How To Win Your Hubby With Edikang Ikong (edikaikong Soup) AKA Vegetable Soup by hadisvisual(f): 5:29am On Sep 25, 2020
Thanks for sharing
Re: How To Win Your Hubby With Edikang Ikong (edikaikong Soup) AKA Vegetable Soup by Jossyfine(f): 3:23am On Sep 29, 2020
Personally I don't cook my pumpkin leaf, after all my ingredients have been mixed and well cooked, I re-waah my pumpkin leaf with boiled hot water, when I bring down my pot and turn off the cooker I now add the said leaf
The beauty of edikakong is eating it when the leaf is still fresh. Cuz cooking it for 5mins will kil all the nutrients in the pumpkin leaf.

But the soup is Bae any time any day

2 Likes

Re: How To Win Your Hubby With Edikang Ikong (edikaikong Soup) AKA Vegetable Soup by frozen70(f): 1:21pm On Sep 29, 2020
lilyheaven:
thanks for sharing, but i didn't know scent leaf is used for vegetable soup
I was surprised too

1 Like

Re: How To Win Your Hubby With Edikang Ikong (edikaikong Soup) AKA Vegetable Soup by ImaIma1(f): 7:55pm On Sep 29, 2020
Scent leaf is not an ingredient for edikaikong.
Re: How To Win Your Hubby With Edikang Ikong (edikaikong Soup) AKA Vegetable Soup by businessMODE(m): 6:47am On Sep 30, 2020
Nice one.

SoupEmbassy:
In Africa, food is the fastest way to a mans heart. He can get sex anywhere, but good food will keep him coming back.

Some millennial men seems to be a bit ok with the millennial wifey kind of fast food, but most men still love awesome swallow especially when they are at home.

A bowl of pounded yam, fufu or eba with a nicely prepared bowl of vegetable base soup can woke that side of him that seem to be gone due to everyday stress.

There are a lot of vegetable soup out there, but so far, Edikaikong Soup seem to be the real vegetable soup. By Edikaikong Soup, I mean the vegetable soup made by the Ibibios or Efiks people of South South region in Nigeria.

The soup involves a lots of preparation and honestly, requires one to be a very good mood to get the consistency right.
It's delicious, nutritious, and full of essential vitamins only when eating fresh.

So here's my hands down recipe from my grandma on how to make a tasty Edikaikong soup.

I kg 5 bunch of Pumpkin leave (Ugwu), 500 g water leaves, 2 handful Ntong (scent leaves or Effirin, I kg Assorted Meat, Ponmo, 200 ml (2 cups) Palm oil, I medium onions, I Cup of periwinkles, Head I Large stockfish, 2 Medium Sized Smoked Fish, 6 fresh Yellow pepper (pounded), I Cup pounded Crayfish, 1/2 Cup Dried Shrimps (slightly pounded), 1 tbs black Pepper, 2 stock cubes, Salt.

Steps
Before cooking, I like to pick, wash properly and allow to drain then slice all the vegetables. Ugwu, water leaves and scent leaves. Put each in separate bowls.

Wash you Meats, seasons accordingly and cook till almost tender, then add the washed Stock fish head and cook... Make sure the meat stock is almost Dried...we don't need water in the soup, cause the water leaves and palm will generate stock for the soup.

Before the stock Dried out completely, add water leaves, pour in the palm oil, add Periwinkles, pounded fresh pepper and stir properly. cook for 3-5 mins. (Ensure you don't over cook the water leaves)

Add in Ugwu, scent leaves, pounded shrimps, smoked fish, black pepper, stock cubes and stir the content of the pot very well..Cover the pot and leave to cook for 5mins

Lastly, according to my Grandma's recipe, you add the pounded Crayfish and taste for salt, give it a stir and that's it.(pls be mindful of the salt and stock cubes, cause vegetable soup can easily become salty)

If you are too busy to prepare a bowl, you can order for edikaikong soup online and Soup Embassy will deliver it to your home in Lagos or Abuja
Re: How To Win Your Hubby With Edikang Ikong (edikaikong Soup) AKA Vegetable Soup by businessMODE(m): 6:50am On Sep 30, 2020
True Jossyfine. Overcooking can drain nutrients. But what am imagining is eating it half cooked cheesy cheesy cheesy

Jossyfine:
Personally I don't cook my pumpkin leaf, after all my ingredients have been mixed and well cooked, I re-waah my pumpkin leaf with boiled hot water, when I bring down my pot and turn off the cooker I now add the said leaf
The beauty of edikakong is eating it when the leaf is still fresh. Cuz cooking it for 5mins will kil all the nutrients in the pumpkin leaf.

SoupEmbassy:

Steps

1 Like

Re: How To Win Your Hubby With Edikang Ikong (edikaikong Soup) AKA Vegetable Soup by egojeny1(f): 8:18am On Sep 30, 2020
And no pics?
Re: How To Win Your Hubby With Edikang Ikong (edikaikong Soup) AKA Vegetable Soup by NewDawn2O21: 6:45pm On Jun 15, 2021
Jossyfine:

na so most Akwa Ibom people dey cook.
You must be one. abadie?
Re: How To Win Your Hubby With Edikang Ikong (edikaikong Soup) AKA Vegetable Soup by ImaIma1(f): 12:23pm On Jun 16, 2021
SoupEmbassy:

Steps

Scent leaves... hmmmm

(1) (Reply)

Disrespect And Insubordination From A Wife, Advice Needed / My Christmas Ruined By Burglars / Always Try To Appreciate Your Daddy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.