Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,850 members, 7,851,892 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 09:52 AM

Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? (2356 Views)

Unrest At FUTMINNA Since Yesterday Evening (Graphic Images) / Alvan Ikoku Hostel UNN After Heavy Rainfall Yesterday / All You Need To Know About Today's Autumn Equinox Day 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by beauty7: 9:14pm On Sep 24, 2020
I want to bring to your notice that we are in equinox.The exact day was about 2 or 3 days ago.

It happens when the sun is directly over the equator. It leads to equal day and equal night.

This usually happens on March and September.

In March,it is called spring equinox in the northern hemisphere and autumnal equinox in the southern hemisphere.

By September,it is called autumnal equinox in the northern hemisphere and spring equinox in the southern hemisphere.

Then on December 21/22 we shall have the darkest night of the year.

This will happen in what is called the winter solstice.

This is when the sun is directly above the tropic of Capricorn.

All regions around the Antarctic circle will experience 24 hours of sunlight.Even at the midnight, there will still be sun in what is called the midnight sun.

But all regions around the artic circle like Finland, Norway will experience 24 hours of darkness.

Also by December, the earth which is always tilted at 23.5 degree is closer to the sun than at any other moment.

But it is the southern hemisphere that will be pointing towards the sun.

To that end, countries in the southern hemisphere will experience heat and also longer day but shorter night.

But Nigeria which is above the equator will experience shorter day and longer night.

But around June 21/22,the earth will be far from the sun than at any other moment.

And the northern hemisphere will be pointing towards the sun.

On that particular date in June, the sun will be directly above the tropic of cancer.

All regions around the artic circle will experience 24 hours of light while all regions around the Antarctic circle will experience 24 hours of darkness.

Nigeria will experience longer day and shorter night in what is known as the summer solstice around this time.

(Also note that the earth distance from the sun changes because the earth in its movement around the sun does not trace out a circle but an ellipse)

To this end, the earth is farest away from the sun around June and nearest to the sun around December.

But the northern hemisphere is always at advantage while the southern hemisphere is disadvantaged.

The reason is that when the earth is nearest to the sun,it is the southern hemisphere that will point towards the sun resulting in excessive heat in the southern hemisphere.

But when the earth is farest from the sun,it is the northern hemisphere that will point towards the sun resulting in excessive cold in the southern hemisphere.

The northern hemisphere will almost always have better weather than it's southern counterpart.

Little wonder most people in the world are living on the north of the equator.

But my question is: Did you experience equinox this September?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by andyguy2k1(m): 9:50pm On Sep 24, 2020
[quote author=beauty7 post=94273097]I want to bring to your notice that we are in equinox.The exact day was about 2 or 3 days ago.

It happens when the sun is directly over the equator. It leads to equal day and equal night.

All regions around the Antarctic circle will experience 24 hours of sunlight.Even at the midnight, there will still be sun in what is called the midnight sun.

But all regions around the artic circle like Finland, Norway will experience 24 hours of darkness.

Also by December, the earth which is always tilted at 23.5 degree is closer to the sun than at any other moment.

To that end, countries in the southern hemisphere will experience heat and also longer day but shorter night.

But Nigeria which is above the equator will experience shorter day and longer night.

But around June 21/22,the earth will be far from the sun than at any other moment.

On that particular date in June, the sun will be directly above the tropic of cancer.

All regions around the artic circle will experience 24 hours of light while all regions around the Antarctic circle will experience 24 hours of darkness.

Nigeria will experience longer day and shorter night in what is known as the summer solstice around this time.

(Also note that the earth distance from the sun changes because the earth in its movement around the sun does not trace out a circle but an ellipse)

To this end, the earth is farest away from the sun around June and nearest to the sun around December.

But the northern hemisphere is always at advantage while the southern hemisphere is disadvantaged.

The reason is that when the earth is nearest to the sun,it is the southern hemisphere that will point towards the sun resulting in excessive heat in the southern hemisphere.

But when the earth is farest from the sun,it is the northern hemisphere that will point towards the sun resulting in excessive cold in the southern hemisphere.

The northern hemisphere will almost always have better weather than it's southern counterpart.

Little wonder most peo
Equinox only occur once in a year June 22,
equal day and equal nite
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by beauty7: 10:06pm On Sep 24, 2020
[quote author=andyguy2k1 post=94274257][/quote]

I have been doing this research for some time now.

Equinox is always around March and September between 20-25th every year.

In Nigeria which is slightly north of the equator, the March equinox is called spring equinox and the September equinox is called autumnal equinox.
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by agnes7(f): 10:20pm On Sep 24, 2020
beauty7:
I want to bring to your notice that we are in equinox.The exact day was about 2 or 3 days ago.

In March,it is called spring equinox in the northern hemisphere and autumnal equinox in the southern hemisphere.

By September,it is called autumnal equinox in the northern hemisphere and spring equinox in the southern hemisphere.

I didn't take note of that. I mean I didn't observe if the day and night were equal or not .
I don't use to observe it.
You seem to understand this thing very well.
To me it looks difficult to understand all this concepts involving sun, earth, solstice, equinox etc.
Did you study geography or physics?
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by beauty7: 10:44pm On Sep 24, 2020
agnes7:

I didn't take note of that. I mean I didn't observe if the day and night were equal or not .
I don't use to observe it.
You seem to understand this thing very well.
To me it looks difficult to understand all this concepts involving sun, earth, solstice, equinox etc.
Did you study geography or physics?

No, I didn't study geography or physics.

I am just interested in the universe and what is going on in it.

I read these things from books written about the universe.

1 Like

Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by agnes7(f): 11:48pm On Sep 24, 2020
beauty7:

That is good.

1 Like

Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by sinkhole: 4:17am On Sep 25, 2020
beauty7:

We, in Nigeria, are too close to the equator to take note of the equinoxes. We actually do not even have any activity associated with the events.
The sun is "always" high in the sky here, so if it is slightly tilted away from the zenith (highest tilt will be like 23 degree), we actually do not notice it!
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by Nobody: 4:33am On Sep 25, 2020
beauty7:

OP, has definitely succeeded in bamboozling some Nairalanders here.

You know some of them haven't read a thing in over a decade, right? Lol
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by Spy360(m): 6:05am On Sep 25, 2020
beauty7:

I have been looking for someone like you. Is there a thread on NL or any where for astrophiles? I am interested. I also study the universe and find out what's happening on other planets, stars etc.

1 Like

Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by ruggedtimi(m): 6:12am On Sep 25, 2020
And Jan 2021 world will come to an end grin
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by Zendinho(m): 6:19am On Sep 25, 2020
For this naija?....

Where hunger want finish everybody...na it we go wake for night de count equal day and equal night grin grin.....

My broda.... you are on your own grin grin

OYO.... cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by beauty7: 7:52am On Sep 25, 2020
Spy360:

I have been looking for someone like you. Is there a thread on NL or any where for astrophiles? I am interested. I also study the universe and find out what's happening on other planets, stars etc.

I don't know if there is a thread for astrophiles.

I have not checked.

1 Like

Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by beauty7: 7:53am On Sep 25, 2020
sinkhole:
We, in Nigeria, are too close to the equator to take note of the equinoxes. We actually do not even have any activity associated with the events.
The sun is "always" high in the sky here, so if it is slightly tilted away from the zenith (highest tilt will be like 23 degree), we actually do not notice it!

Ok
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by beauty7: 7:53am On Sep 25, 2020
Zendinho:
For this naija?....

Where hunger want finish everybody...na it we go wake for night de count equal day and equal night grin grin.....

OYO.... cheesy

Thanks.
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by beauty7: 7:54am On Sep 25, 2020
ruggedtimi:
And Jan 2021 world will come to an end grin

Maybe.
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by beauty7: 7:56am On Sep 25, 2020
mansakhalifa:

OP, has definitely succeeded in bamboozling some Nairalanders here.

You know some of them haven't read a thing in over a decade, right? Lol

Thanks for the observation.
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by beauty7: 7:57am On Sep 25, 2020
agnes7:

That is good.
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by osamz007: 8:56am On Sep 25, 2020
no wonder my room been dey dark even with the light on
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by Spy360(m): 10:33am On Sep 25, 2020
beauty7:

I have not checked.
Let's create one.
Under Education. Just mention me.
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by beauty7: 10:43am On Sep 25, 2020
Spy360:

Let's create one.

Under Education. Just mention me.

Alright. Let's create.

What name do you suggest for it?
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by Nobody: 11:40am On Sep 25, 2020
beauty7:

Thanks for the observation.

If you want to get them talking like "experts" though just put up anything on APC and PDP.

They are only good at debating on wacky Nigerian politics.

Low grade intelligence.
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by beauty7: 11:48am On Sep 25, 2020
mansakhalifa:

If you want to get them talking like "experts" though just put up anything on APC and PDP.

They are only good at debating on wacky Nigerian politics.

Low grade intelligence.
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by dingbang(m): 11:49am On Sep 25, 2020
Zendinho:
For this naija?....

OYO.... cheesy
lmao.. As I see the thing, I weak. Right now I dey hospital bed, person dey tell me about equinox . abi e go pay my hospital bill? cheesy
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by Spy360(m): 1:09pm On Sep 25, 2020
beauty7:

Alright. Let's create.
Lovers Of Astronomy
Sorry I am bad at naming... sad
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by Zendinho(m): 1:58pm On Sep 25, 2020
[quote author=dingbang post=94290203]lmao.. As I see the thing, I weak. Right now I dey hospital bed, person dey tell me about equinox . abi e go pay my hospital bill? :

Bro the thing weak me o.....
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by Pious101: 2:32pm On Sep 25, 2020
beauty7:
I want.

was this why it was already dark by 6pm yesterday?
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by presented007(m): 3:23pm On Sep 25, 2020
grin
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by Spy360(m): 3:30pm On Sep 25, 2020
beauty7:

Alright. Let's create.
Astronomy and Space undecided
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by beauty7: 3:56pm On Sep 25, 2020
Spy360:

Lovers Of Astronomy

Sorry I am bad at naming... sad

You are not bad at naming.

'Lovers of Astronomy' sounds okay.
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by beauty7: 3:57pm On Sep 25, 2020
Pious101:
was this why it was already dark by 6pm yesterday?

Most likely.
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by beauty7: 4:03pm On Sep 25, 2020
Spy360:

Astronomy and Space
undecided

This can also do.

Any name you choose,we can start the thread.
Re: Did You Experience Equinox Yesterday? by JimmyDarmody: 4:42pm On Sep 25, 2020
beauty7:

I have not checked.
hmmm you said it was 2 or 3 days ago but I'm sure it was yesterday because In the realm of the spirit there was something up yesterday but I didnt know exactly. Have it in mind that this equinox is just a result of something else tho it happens each year 2ice. See I was shocked to see this article cos I never expected it. I can show you chats of me yesterday telling Bae that something is up in the realm of the spirit. I don't know if you believe in the Bible.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Medicine/pharmacy In Unn/uniport Post-ume Success Secrets / Brain Fair 2009 / PTDF OVERSEAS SCHOLARSHIP TEST PAST QUESTIONS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.