Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,463 members, 7,816,085 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. (3483 Views)

The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [no.1 Is 11,000yrs Old And Still In Existence / Archeologists Discovered 2,000yrs Old Cemetery With 40 Mummies In Egypt(Photos) / The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Muurian: 4:00pm On Sep 25, 2020
Let's go!

10) Varanasi, India – 5,000 years old.

Known as the birthplace of Hinduism, Varanasi is known as the oldest city in India and has its earliest human inhabitants as far back as 11th BCE.

The city is located near the Granges River in the Northern Indian region of Uttar Pradesh, which till today continues to attract tourists and worshipper's from all over the world.

The Golden Temple of Shiva is also located in this city!

9) Plovdiv, Bulgaria – 6,000 years old.

The city of Plovdiv is historically located in the ancient Thrace region. The city is known as the cultural centre of Bulgaria and Historians cite that evidence exists that inhabitation of the region goes way back to 6th BCE, especially in the Nebet Tepe Hill.

The city is also the second largest city in Bulgaria.

cool Sidon, Lebanon – 6,000 years old.

Known locally as Saida, Sidon is located on the Mediterranean sea and has been in existence for at least 6000yrs according to Historians.

The ancient city was bride to constant conquering (in no order) by the Babylonians, Assyrians, Greeks, Egyptians, Persians, and Romans alike. Must have really been an important city to warrant such constant occupation.

There were also biblical reference to this city, with Jesus, Paul and Herod the Great all said to have visited the place at one point in time.

7) Erbil, Iraqi Kurdistan – 6,000 years old.

Erbil is the capital city of the Kurdistan region, Iraq. According to Historians and Wikipedia, it was known as Arbella and is currently the most populated city in the region.

From history, Arbella has been a place of continuous occupation by
Greeks, Persians, Mongols, Romans, and the Ottoman Turks.
The city is also host to the Erbil Citadel and is a UNESCO World Heritage site.

6) Susa, Iran – 6,300 years old

Susa was one of the most paramount cities in Ancient Near East ( what many will say is the ancestors to the current Middle East), and located near the Tigris River.

During its peak, Susa served as the capital of Achaemenid Empire as well as that of Elam. Again, during the Parthian rule, the ancient city of Susa also remained an important and strategic place.

It is believed that the city was probably rebuilt soon after its destruction by the Assyrian Empire.

5) Athens, Greece – 7,000 years old.

Athens is one of those ancient cities that have been featured heavily in Hollywood movies, especially when Greek mythological entities are being utilised.

According to Historians, the earliest known inhabitation of can be traced back to the 7th - 11th BC.
Athens is also historically known to produce many widely known philosophical truths and inquisitions and has helped define democracy which has had numerous importance on modern westernisation. Popular philosophers like Plato, Aristotle and Socrates are examples of the gift Athens gave Europe and the world.

Athens is currently still bubbling as metropolitan city in current day Greece.

4) Argos, Greece – 7,000 years old

Argos is located in Argolis, and under the administrative region of
Peloponnese, Greece. It is the largest city in Argolis and one of the oldest cities still in existence today after a continuos inhabitation that has spanned centuries.

Argos is notably known for its Swiss-like neutral attitude during the Greco-Persian Wars. Argos is currently being occupied by an estimated 22,000 people, and has a lot of historical heritage sites and monuments.

3) Byblos, Lebanon – 7,000 years old.

Historians clock the earliest human inhabitation of Byblos between 7,000 - 8,000yrs.

The ancient city can be found 42km north of Beirut.
It is also generally believed to be the oldest and largest ancient city in Lebanon at the time, and have witnessed continuous and extended human occupation for centuries. This was mostly due to the amount of human waste archeologists have uncovered in the city.

Byblos is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

2) Aleppo, Syria – 8,000 years old.

Allepo is located along the Mediterranean Sea, giving it easy access to the oceans and a viable hub for trades. This is what made Allepo a thriving commercial area in ancient times.

According to historians and archeologists, Allepo has been continuously occupied since 8,000yrs ago.

At the moment, the clashes between the officially recognised Syrian government and rebel forces have forced most of the inhabitants of Allepo flee the region.

1) Damascus, Syria – 11,000 years old

Most people who are familiar with biblical stories must have heard about this ancient city. Even one of Christianity's greatest apostle to the gentiles, Paul, was converted on his way to Damascus.

Damascus is the capital city in present day Syria and the oldest city in the world. According to research and studies, the earliest known habitation of the ancient city of Damascus was probably in the second millennium BC.

Damascus is part of the Official UNESCO World Heritage Site and is mostly referred to by many as the capital city and cultural centre of the whole Arab world. Currently, Damascus is a metropolitan city in the partly troubled country, Syria. In 2008, it was named "Arab Capital of Culture".

NB: Some of the years in this article (especially Damascus) are historically estimated years from findings. However, most are backed by records and archeologically backed factual discoveries. Therefore, there may be other cities that may have existed before.

https://uptownerd./2020/09/17/the-ten-oldest-cities-in-the-world-number-1-is-11000yrs-old-and-still-in-existence/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 25, 2020
Lies.

The world is not more than 6000years old
Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by princepee: 5:43pm On Sep 25, 2020
So who recorded how old the city is Who was there 11thousand years ago. Yes the cities maybe old but one can say for sure how old.
Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Rickmann: 6:58pm On Sep 25, 2020
Muurian:

It's Amazing how these cities date back to Bible days.

1 Like

Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Ayo2004: 7:05pm On Sep 25, 2020
Many cities are older than that...just that they have changed their names and little decrease or increase in land area

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Raydos: 7:09pm On Sep 25, 2020
Truthlord12:
Lies.

Naaaah the world is more than 10,000 years in my own opinion, They only Started counting years 2,020 years ago and before then people has been in Existence

Jesus Christ died like 5,000 years ago as many people believed but the world didn't start when Jesus Christ died

People has been living for thousands of years Even Before Jesus was born!! Especially in the old testament where some people have long life span, A single human can live for over 900 years before they died in the old testament

So in conclusion, I think the world is at least over 10,000 years old

4 Likes

Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Auladimeji(m): 7:23pm On Sep 25, 2020
What about Turkey...I heard that the mother of Jesus was buried there
Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Crofton: 7:38pm On Sep 25, 2020
Raydos:

Naaaah the world is more than 10,000 years in my own opinion, They only Started counting years 2,020 years ago and before then people has been in Existence

Jesus Christ died like 5,000 years ago as many people believed but the world didn't start when Jesus Christ died

People has been living for thousands of years Even Before Jesus was born!! Especially in the old testament where some people have long life span, A single human can live for over 900 years before they died in the old testament

So in conclusion, I think the world is at least over 10,000 years old

Jesus Christ died 5000 years ago ?

4 Likes

Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by blacq2009(m): 7:40pm On Sep 25, 2020
Truthlord12:
Lies.

Scientists estimate Earth to be around 5.6billion years old.
Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Kenmatt(m): 7:50pm On Sep 25, 2020
How many of you ever thought that Damascus, Lebanon Athens, Isreal, Egypt and others are in heaven as a child?
Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 25, 2020
Muurian:

Why do I feel like some cities were left out

Who else thinks so too?

Besides, I always knew Damascus, Aleppo, Byblos and Sidon would always make the list.

Where is Tyre though? Tyre is probably just as old as Sidon. They were often known as twin cities of the Phoenicians back then.

I strongly think that they should rejig this list and give Tyre a mention.

1 Like

Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Efewestern: 8:24pm On Sep 25, 2020
Truthlord12:
Lies.
According to?
6,000 years ago, humans were already inhabiting Africa.
Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Nobody: 8:30pm On Sep 25, 2020
Kenmatt:
How many of you ever thought that Damascus, Lebanon Athens, Isreal, Egypt and others are in heaven as a child?

Answer: Only you.

3 Likes

Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Nobody: 8:32pm On Sep 25, 2020
Auladimeji:
What about Turkey...I heard that the mother of Jesus was buried there

That cannot be possible.

Besides, Turkey is not a city. It is a whole country sitting on two continents.

This topic is strictly talking about "cities".

And even if we are to talk about oldest countries, Turkey wouldn't even get a mention. Turkey was founded in 1923. Far too young.

1 Like

Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Nobody: 8:34pm On Sep 25, 2020
Truthlord12:
Lies.

That awkward moment when a "truthlord" suddenly becomes the lyinglord. sad

2 Likes

Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 25, 2020
princepee:
So who recorded how old the city is Who was there 11thousand years ago. Yes the cities maybe old but one can say for sure how old.

I hate schooling adults but sometimes we simply cannot avoid it.

After all counseling the doubtful and instructing the ignorant is a spiritual work of mercy after all.

So, you want to know how they arrived at the most likely/probable ages of these cities... you see, they didn't throw up figures for the fun of it- habour no doubts about that.

The whole thing took a lot of research and meticulousness. First, when you want to determine how old are particular city is, you have to go to extent of examining ancient texts(that is writings by men who lived thousands of years) and there you will sometimes find where such cities were mentioned then with a little maths and calculations here and there, you will be able to arrive at an estimate as to how old that particular city is.

Another method is oral traditions. That is, history passed from generation to generation by word of mouth. That is history which is largely unwritten.

Then there is a third method, which is far more reliable to varying degrees than the other two which I have mentioned- and that, is a firm technology called "(radio)Carbon dating"(in layman's terminology).

How does radiocarbon dating work. It is simple. Sometimes, you see all these archaeologists excavating and digging all over the place and sometimes you might be forced to assume that they are "mad". But in reality, they are not. They are as a matter of fact, looking for clues. These clues might come in the former of ancient artefacts such as cups, wine glasses, coins, clothes and things like that. Once they dig up these things, they pass them through carbon dating tests in order to find out how old these things are. They answer that they get from conducting such tests also go a long way in determine how long a particular city has been inhabited.

I just had to explain it to you in the simplest way possible and I hope it helps.

Besides, there are other scientific methods asides radiocarbon dating that can also be deployed in determining these things.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by obonujoker(m): 9:14pm On Sep 25, 2020
Truthlord12:
Lies.

Lol... Who told you that??

Do you know how long Adam and Eve must have stayed in the garden before the fall??
Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by obonujoker(m): 9:20pm On Sep 25, 2020
mansakhalifa:

That cannot be possible.

Besides, Turkey is not a city. It is a whole country sitting on two continents.

This topic is strictly talking about "cities".

And even if we are to talk about oldest countries, Turkey wouldn't even get a mention. Turkey was founded in 1923. Far too young.

Lol... Hope you know Turkey had a city called Constantinople?? That was sacked by the Muslim fighters then... Around AD 1000 or so
Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by KendrickAyomide: 9:34pm On Sep 25, 2020
The world is over 1 million years old. Be wise
Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Nobody: 9:42pm On Sep 25, 2020
obonujoker:

Lol... Hope you know Turkey had a city called Constantinople?? That was sacked by the Muslim fighters then... Around AD 1000 or so

Yeah, I know. Constantinople. That is modern day Instanbul. Ancient/Medieval Byzantium. The city also sits on two continents- i.e. Europe and Asia.

The Turks were the "Muslim fighters" who sacked/conquered it in 1453. If that is what you are talking about.

Yes,
But even then, the city is old but it is not that old. I mean, it was built around the 330 AD by Emperor Constantine. That makes it somewhere around 1700 years or thereabouts.
Not old enough when put side by side with the cities on this list put forward by the OP.

If you had put forward a city like Ankara then... you know the rest. Ankara is way older than Byzantium/Constantinople/Instanbul. It even got a mention in the bible(New Testament). Then, it was called "Ancyra".
Ankara was built by the Hittites- the guys often credited with giving us iron-smelting thousands of years ago.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by engrchykae(m): 9:51pm On Sep 25, 2020
mansakhalifa:

Who else thinks so too?

Besides, I always knew Damascus, Aleppo, Byblos and Sidon would always make the list.

Where is Tyre though? Tyre is probably just as old as Sidon. They were often known as twin cities of the Phoenicians back then.

Tyre,Sidon, Damascus Babylon, Nineveh were all sons of Ham,thus they are Africans
Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Richy4(m): 10:11pm On Sep 25, 2020
What about Macedonia.. there must be an ancient city there that could be 10000 years
Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by x123xlolls(m): 10:16pm On Sep 25, 2020
WHAT OF 28 MILLION YRS CITY

Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Muurian: 10:57pm On Sep 25, 2020
mansakhalifa:

Who else thinks so too?

The era should determine it. Maybe you can supply us the info.
Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Muurian: 11:02pm On Sep 25, 2020
mansakhalifa:

I hate schooling adults but sometimes we simply cannot avoid it.

After all counseling the doubtful and instructing the ignorant is a spiritual work of mercy after all.

So, you want to know how they arrived at the most likely/probable ages of these cities... you see, they didn't throw up figures for the fun of it- habour no doubts about that.

The whole thing took a lot of research and meticulousness. First, when you want to determine how old are particular city is, you have to go to extent of examining ancient texts(that is writings by men who lived thousands of years) and there you will sometimes find where such cities were mentioned then with a little maths and calculations here and there, you will be able to arrive at an estimate as to how old that particular city is.

Another method is oral traditions. That is, history passed from generation to generation by word of mouth. That is history which is largely unwritten.

Then there is a third method, which is far more reliable to varying degrees than the other two which I have mentioned- and that, is a firm technology called "(radio)Carbon dating"(in layman's terminology).

How does radiocarbon dating work. It is simple. Sometimes, you see all these archaeologists excavating and digging all over the place and sometimes you might be forced to assume that they are "mad". But in reality, they are not. They are as a matter of fact, looking for clues. These clues might come in the former of ancient artefacts such as cups, wine glasses, coins, clothes and things like that. Once they dig up these things, they pass them through carbon dating tests in order to find out how old these things are. They answer that they get from conducting such tests also go a long way in determine how long a particular city has been inhabited.

I just had to explain it to you in the simplest way possible and I hope it helps.

Besides, there are other scientific methods asides radiocarbon dating that can also be deployed in determining these things.

Perfect!
Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by MJluv(f): 11:09pm On Sep 25, 2020
blacq2009:

Scientists estimate Earth to be around 5.6billion years old.

He is actually confusing the Earth's existence with human habitation on the Earth. Both are two distinct phenomena.

like you rightly pointed out, the earth has been around for quite a while. Human appearance on the surface of the Earth happened hundreds of millennium after the Earth's formation.

The Bible, which is one of the oldest historical documents available to mankind also backs this up.

1 Like

Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by xest(m): 11:20pm On Sep 25, 2020
Truthlord12:
Lies.

i knw you talking as a Christian. That Bible don really wash una head
Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Openbusiness: 11:44pm On Sep 25, 2020
Hmmm
Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by xest(m): 11:45pm On Sep 25, 2020
Truthlord12:
Lies.

i knw you talking as a Christian. That Bible don really wash una head.

1 Like

Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Muurian: 7:21am On Sep 26, 2020
xest:
i knw you talking as a Christian. That Bible don really wash una head
grin
Re: The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. by Muurian: 7:23am On Sep 26, 2020
x123xlolls:

Lol...

Go higher na.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Too Bad Evil Or What? Nigerian Troops Invade ESN Camp In Imo & Kill Many / Unizik Students Seen Having S3xin The Open At Witness Gardenhotel Awka Anambra / No Bra, No Class - Nigerian University Lecturer Threatens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.