Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) (7257 Views)

The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [no.1 Is 11,000yrs Old And Still In Existence / The Ten Oldest Cities In The World [number 1 Is 11,000yrs Old]. / Archeologists Discovered 2,000yrs Old Cemetery With 40 Mummies In Egypt(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:06pm On Nov 08, 2017
In 1922, the discovery of Tutankhamun's 3,000-year-old burial chamber by Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon in the Valley of the Kings. captivated the world.

The king’s mummified body still lay, surrounded by precious grave goods, in his golden coffin.

Today, Tutankhamun is ancient Egypt’s most famous pharaoh.

It was the culmination of a 15-year search which eventually uncovered 5,000 antiques including the king's sarcophagus, his gold mask, and stillborn mummies.

On the 93rd anniversary of the find, researchers have unveiled newly colourised photos of the discovery.

The pictures were taken by British photographer Harry Burton during the excavation process and have been made from the original glass plate negatives.

Tutankhamun was buried in the world’s most expensive coffin, two of Tutankhamun’s three coffins were made of wood, covered with gold sheet.

But, to Howard Carter’s great surprise, the innermost coffin was made from thick sheets of beaten gold.

This coffin measures 1.88m in length, and weighs 110.4kg.

If it were to be scrapped today it would be worth well about £2million.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/king-tutankhamun-officials-90-sure-there-is-a-secret-chamber-ancient-egyptian-tomb-a6752586.html#gallery

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3307795/King-Tut-s-tomb-COLOUR-Stunning-new-images-historic-discovery-boy-king-s-burial-chamber-new-light.html
Lalasticlala Mynd44

1 Like

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:06pm On Nov 08, 2017
The 3,000 years old unbroken seal that secured king Tutankhamun's tomb.

Imagine being an archaeologist exploring ancient shrine or tomb and stumbling upon this 3,245-year-old unbroken seal.

Such was the sight that greeted Howard Carter in 1923 as he prepared to enter King Tut's astounding shrine for the first time.

1 Like

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:08pm On Nov 08, 2017
Little was known about King Tutankhamen, who had died when he was 19.

On 4 November 1922, Carter's group found steps that led to Tutankhamun's tomb near the entrance to the tomb of King Ramses VI in the Valley of the Kings.

In this image Carter and a worker examine the solid gold innermost sarcophagus, shown within a gilded, laminated wood coffin of different coloured glass.

1 Like

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:09pm On Nov 08, 2017
The antechamber captured in December 1922.

Pictured are ornately carved alabaster vases in the antechamber, containing perfume.

2 Likes

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:10pm On Nov 08, 2017
Image shows the antechamber.

Under the lion bed in the antechamber are several boxes and chests, and an ebony and ivory chair which

Tutankhamun is believed to have used as a child.

2 Likes

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by ArchangeLucifer: 3:10pm On Nov 08, 2017
This is where Bobrisky was discovered.

8 Likes

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by izzou(m): 3:10pm On Nov 08, 2017
grin grin grin

Explorers again angry angry angry angry

Your thread dey be like say I dey watch Discovery World

Buh, who was Tutankhamen?

6 Likes

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:11pm On Nov 08, 2017
Numerous chariots are stacked up against the wall in this image.

2 Likes

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:12pm On Nov 08, 2017
Pictured is 'The Treasury.

A gilded bust of the Celestial Cow Mehet-Weret and chests sit in the treasury of the tomb.

'As my eyes grew accustomed to the light, details of the room within emerged slowly from the mist, strange animals, statues, and gold,' said Carter.
Lalasticlala, Mynd44

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:13pm On Nov 08, 2017
A statue of Anubis on a shrine with pallbearers' poles in the treasury of the tomb.

Anubis, the canid-headed god was associated with the afterlife, a role of which Anubis would weigh the heart of the deceased to determine if they were worthy of entering the land of the dead.

1 Like

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by DanseMacabre(m): 3:14pm On Nov 08, 2017
If to say na me discover this tomb ehn, the kyn gold wey I for swerve go pass even Fort Knox own. angry

3 Likes

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:15pm On Nov 08, 2017
An assortment of model boats in the treasury of the tomb.

In all, some 35 boats were located throughout the tomb, symbolic of the transporting the king on his journey through the streams of the underworld towards resurrection.

3 Likes

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by ArchangeLucifer: 3:16pm On Nov 08, 2017
izzou:
grin grin grin

Explorers again angry angry angry angry

Your thread dey be like say I dey watch Discovery World

Buh, who was Tutankhamen?

Wait?! shocked shocked shocked

You've never heard of King Tut?

Wow.

I better pass many people oh

6 Likes

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by BeeBeeOoh(m): 3:17pm On Nov 08, 2017
DanseMacabre:
If to say na me discover this tomb ehn, the kyn gold wey I for swerve go pass even Fort Knox own. angry
Do you see why Buhari is corrupt??

2 Likes

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:17pm On Nov 08, 2017
Lord Carnarvon (right), financier of the excavation and Howard Carter posing outside the Burial Chamber.

Lord Carnarvon had threatened to pull Carter's funding just before the discovery of King Tut's burial chamber was made

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by ArchangeLucifer: 3:18pm On Nov 08, 2017
DanseMacabre:

You think say na ordinary eye you go take enter there abi?

You nor see all the Anubis + other gods idols wey full there. Make film nor deceive you oh.

Those white men sef wey dey enter go don appease d local deities & arm themselves spiritually wella before venturing in there.

4 Likes

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by izzou(m): 3:19pm On Nov 08, 2017
ArchangeLucifer:

Wait?! shocked shocked shocked

You've never heard of King Tut?

Wow.

I better pass many people oh

Hian undecided

So, your knowledge of King Tits, lipsrsealed sorry Tut, makes you better?

2 Likes

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:19pm On Nov 08, 2017
Howard Carter, Arthur Callender, and an Egyptian worker, wrap one of the sentinel statues for transport.

The colourised black and white photographs are part of a new exhibition opening in New York called The Discovery of King Tut.

1 Like

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:20pm On Nov 08, 2017
In a 'laboratory' set up in the tomb of Sethos II, conservators Arthur Mace and Alfred Lucas clean one of the statues from the antechamber.

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:21pm On Nov 08, 2017
Arthur Mace (left) and Alfred Lucas work on a golden chariot from Tutankhamun's tomb.

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by DanseMacabre(m): 3:23pm On Nov 08, 2017
BeeBeeOoh:
Do you see why Buhari is corrupt??

Buhari is corrupt because Tutankhamen's tomb was discovered? I see...grin

4 Likes

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by ArchangeLucifer: 3:23pm On Nov 08, 2017
izzou:

Hian undecided

So, your knowledge of King Tits, lipsrsealed sorry Tut, makes you better?

Yes.

Anyone with normal exposure should have come across him since Primary school sef.

Haba!

Abeg no bring any excuse here.

King Tut wey full many cartoons & story books back in the days. Even if you missed him then, you still missed him as an adult? What rock have you been living under?

Except you're a toddler anyway... I may be wrong.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:23pm On Nov 08, 2017
The Burial Chamber is shown here.

Carter, Callender and two Egyptian workers removing the partition between the antechamber and the burial chamber.

They carefully dismantle one of the golden shrines found within.

Inside the outermost shrine in the burial chamber, a huge linen pall with gold rosettes, reminiscent of the night sky, covers the smaller shrines within.

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:25pm On Nov 08, 2017
Inside the outermost shrine in the burial chamber, a huge linen pall with gold rosettes, reminiscent of the night sky, covers the smaller shrines within.

2 Likes

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:26pm On Nov 08, 2017
Howard Carter and an Egyptian worker open the doors of the innermost shrine and get their first look at Tutankhamun's sarcophagus

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by DanseMacabre(m): 3:27pm On Nov 08, 2017
ArchangeLucifer:

You think say na ordinary eye you go take enter there abi?

You nor see all the Anubis + other gods idols wey full there. Make film nor deceive you oh.

Those white men sef wey dey enter go don appease d local deities & arm themselves spiritually wella before venturing in there.

Guy, Amadioha and Sango strong pass all those Isis, Osiris, Set, Anubis, Ra etc. If not na better thunder wey for strike them as dem dey open that tomb.

1 Like

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:27pm On Nov 08, 2017
Howard Carter examines Tutankhamun's sarcophagus.

The discovery of Tutankhamun's mummy revealed that he was about 17 when he died and probably inherited the throne at the age of eight or nine.

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by izzou(m): 3:28pm On Nov 08, 2017
ArchangeLucifer:

Yes.

Anyone with normal exposure should have come across him since Primary school sef.

Haba!

Abeg no bring any excuse here.

King Tut wey full many cartoons & story books back in the days. Even if you missed him then, you still missed him as an adult? What rock have you been living under?

Except you're a toddler anyway... I may be wrong.

Chai

See as you dey finish me for outside

I dey laugh myself sha

grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by Explorers(m): 3:29pm On Nov 08, 2017
Dr Nicholas Reeves claims to have found evidence for the bricked up entrances to two additional chambers to Tutankhamun's tomb.

These include the burial chamber for Queen Nefertiti, who Dr Reeves claims was the boy-kings co-regent and may even have been his mother, and new hidden storage room.

Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by DanseMacabre(m): 3:29pm On Nov 08, 2017
Explorers:

Bro, some of the pictures them no dey show o. Abi na just my phone?
Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by ArchangeLucifer: 3:32pm On Nov 08, 2017
DanseMacabre:

Guy, Amadioha and Sango strong pass all those Isis, Osiris, Set, Anubis, Ra etc. If not na better thunder wey for strike them as dem dey open that tomb.

E still dey open oh and many chambers are yet to be discovered.

You fit still help us. grin grin
Re: The Excavation Of King Tutankhamun's 3,000yrs Old Burial Chamber In 1922(Photos) by ArchangeLucifer: 3:32pm On Nov 08, 2017
izzou:

Chai

See as you dey finish me for outside

I dey laugh myself sha

grin grin

Nor vex.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Info On Unimaid Admission List / 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. / Aaua Admission List For 2010/2011 Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.