Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,282 members, 7,836,254 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! (1084 Views)

My Watermelon Farming Experience / My Watermelon farm / My Watermelon Experiment Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! by Immortalel(m): 12:31am On Sep 27, 2020
Good day fam. I started a backyard watermelon farm a while back, and the results were encouraging until recently, I noticed the biggest watermelon stopped growing and began to rot, and also the flowers didn’t get to bear anymore fruits.. it’s been weeks they’ve been flowering and no new fruit has sprouted.. what could be wrong concerning the rotting and refusal to fruit? Thanks.
Re: My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! by Immortalel(m): 12:33am On Sep 27, 2020

1 Like

Re: My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! by Immortalel(m): 12:34am On Sep 27, 2020

Re: My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! by internationalman(m): 1:18am On Sep 27, 2020
Maybe our soil is cursed too

Re: My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! by Oluaso: 3:35am On Sep 27, 2020
Most probably due to excessive rainfall

1 Like

Re: My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! by okoroemeka(m): 5:47am On Sep 27, 2020
Maybe it is due to the fact that melon is called ogbanje crop for a reason, problems can just come out anytime without sign,cause or remedy in sight,a healthy greenish melon farm can turn yellow overnight and die completely in 4-5 days,it is unlike cucumbers that if you plant you must harvest,melon farming is 50/50 probability.
Re: My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! by bosagro23: 5:25pm On Sep 27, 2020
Immortalel:
Good day fam. I started a backyard watermelon farm a while back, and the results were encouraging until recently, I noticed the biggest watermelon stopped growing and began to rot, and also the flowers didn’t get to bear anymore fruits.. it’s been weeks they’ve been flowering and no new fruit has sprouted.. what could be wrong concerning the rotting and refusal to fruit? Thanks.

This is the work of melon flies. If you check inside the spoilt fruits, you will likely find maggots. Let me ask.... Do your area have history of melon cultivation? Try and gather the spoilt fruits fast and BURY them.
Re: My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! by FarmTech(m): 9:17pm On Sep 27, 2020
Do u apply fungicides and insecticides?
Re: My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! by Immortalel(m): 12:52am On Sep 28, 2020
okoroemeka:
Maybe it is due to the fact that melon is called ogbanje crop for a reason, problems can just come out anytime without sign,cause or remedy in sight,a healthy greenish melon farm can turn yellow overnight and die completely in 4-5 days,it is unlike cucumbers that if you plant you must harvest,melon farming is 50/50 probability.
Wow.. didn’t know about this. Thanks sir.
Re: My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! by Immortalel(m): 12:54am On Sep 28, 2020
FarmTech:
Do u apply fungicides and insecticides?
No, not at all.
Re: My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! by Immortalel(m): 12:55am On Sep 28, 2020
Oluaso:
Yes, this can be a factor.. It was doing well until the rain restarted...

1 Like

Re: My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! by Immortalel(m): 12:59am On Sep 28, 2020
bosagro23:

This is the work of melon flies. If you check inside the spoilt fruits, you will likely find maggots. Let me ask.... Do your area have history of melon cultivation? Try and gather the spoilt fruits fast and BURY them.
Uhm.. I really don’t know about the history of melons over here, and what are melon flies? Is there any remedy for the plant?

Thanks for your contribution, It really helps.
Re: My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! by lereinter(m): 5:32pm On Sep 28, 2020
Oluaso:

Correct
Re: My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! by FarmTech(m): 10:12pm On Sep 28, 2020
Immortalel:
No, not at all.
The first time I planted watermelon I experienced sth like this when the rain intensified. I did not harvest any, the young fruits all turned black and the leaves got black and yellow spots. Then, I was applying only mancozeb - a contact fungicide and insecticides. I might have gotten better result if I had used fungicides like red force or saaf. It is safer to plant them during dry season.
Re: My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! by Akinola100: 11:16pm On Sep 28, 2020
maybe two reasons. 1. Too much rainfall. 2. Melon flies attack
Re: My Watermelon Is Dying, Help! by majorgr: 12:31am On Sep 29, 2020
Obviously, it's raining and due to the rain there is a lot of splashing forcing the crop to interact with pathogens in the soil, it won't do well naturally if you've got no fungicide spraying regime, that's why some farmers tend to grow water melons in the dry season with drip irrigation to minimize such an interaction with the soil that hosts abundant pathogens. Next time, prepare for a fungicide spraying regime and fertilization. To successfully grow water melon, you will also need to fertilize them, you can give npk at younger stage but when you start to notice flowering, give PK, the N is no more needed but the PK which will boost fruit production. Water melons could be nutrient hungry hence the need to fertilize

(1) (Reply)

19weeks Point Of Lay At Agbado Ijaiye For 1800 / Boer Goats Available For Sale / Live Scorpion A Nairalander Caught In Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.