Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,261 members, 7,818,887 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

My Watermelon Farming Experience - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Watermelon Farming Experience (51775 Views)

My Poultry Farming Experience! / My Watermelon farm / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 10:38pm On Mar 14, 2021
I've been a watermelon farmer for over 8 years now. There's no secret in water melon farming that I don't know from it's disease, how to plant the best method to adopt and so on.

I've learned so many things along these years, as a matter of fact, there are things that I learned the hard way.

These pictures were taken last year. I've planted on ten acres this year. If there's anything you want to know about watermelon farming feel free to follow this thread. I'll be lecturing you on how to plant watermelon, maize, sesame seed, rice yam ground nut free of charge. I've been growing all these crops right from child hood so I'm supposed to know better.

Welcome to my world of watermelon.

126 Likes 18 Shares

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by Manq(m): 11:15pm On Mar 14, 2021
You Are blessed, you are a slay queen, you are wonderfully gifted! I wish to be the best of myself just as you..
One more thing,

Teach these self acclaimed slay mamas they are all farm tools should you misplace your hoe'

49 Likes

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 11:23pm On Mar 14, 2021
[quote author=Manq post=99890402]You Are blessed, you are a slay queen, you are wonderfully gifted! I wish to be the best of myself just as you..
One more thing,

Teach these self acclaimed slay mamas they are all farm tools should you misplace your hoe'[/quote??]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 11:33pm On Mar 14, 2021
JeAgro477:
[/quote]
Manq post=99890402:
You Are blessed, you are a slay queen, you are wonderfully gifted! I wish to be the best of myself just as you..
One more thing,

Teach these self acclaimed slay mamas they are all farm tools should you misplace your hoe'
[quote author=JeAgro477 post=99890542]
I'm a man those girls in the picture were the ones that helped me to gather all the fruits in one place

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by Storyoflove: 12:12am On Mar 15, 2021
Cool....I'll like to know more. I'm interested.
Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 12:22am On Mar 15, 2021
Before you think of planting watermelon ensure that have a sprayer (knapsack)have your pesticide,fungicide,fertilizers both liquid and compound i recommends supergro and urea/npk get your pre-emergence and post emergence herbicides available

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 12:25am On Mar 15, 2021
Storyoflove:
Cool....I'll like to know more. I'm interested.
you are welcome just follow the thread
Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by Cutecharlz(m): 12:32am On Mar 15, 2021
interesting
Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 12:37am On Mar 15, 2021
watermelon takes more than theory don't listen to all these online and e-book farmers that don't have a farm of their own they only want you to pay for their trainings and sell e-books to you its not all rosy as they paint but the good news is that if you heed advice from a practical farmer and adhere to GAP the result will be awesome

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by mustybay(m): 1:44am On Mar 15, 2021
Following
Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by Manq(m): 7:24am On Mar 15, 2021
[quote author=JeAgro477 post=99890542][/quote]

Still team work Bro!
Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by Sterlingsolutns: 2:39pm On Mar 15, 2021
@JeAgro477

Aside from fusilade and gallant super, which other post emergence herbicide are you using

Thanks

JeAgro477:
Before you think of planting watermelon ensure that have a sprayer (knapsack)have your pesticide,fungicide,fertilizers both liquid and compound i recommends supergro and urea/npk get your pre-emergence and post emergence herbicides available
Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 7:31pm On Mar 15, 2021
Sterlingsolutns:
@JeAgro477

Aside from fusilade and gallant super, which other post emergence herbicide are you using

Thanks

I use pendilin as pre-emergence
Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 7:32pm On Mar 15, 2021
sorry for the late update I went to the farm
Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 7:42pm On Mar 15, 2021
the best time to plant watermelon and achieve a bumper harvest with less stress is dry seasons using drip irrigation although timely planting can give one good yield using rain but it is not the best way cause it is either it gets less water or too much water at the wrong times as rain doesn't fall at the times we want there are times that watermelon needs less water which is during the early stages but it requires much water during the flowering and fruiting stages

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 7:43pm On Mar 15, 2021
Manq:

Still team work Bro!
yeah

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 7:49pm On Mar 15, 2021
there are hundreds of varieties of watermelon seeds but the common one that is planted in nigeria is kaolack from tecnism company this variety takes about 65 to 75 days from planting to harvest

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 7:56pm On Mar 15, 2021
the best time to plant watermelon in nigeria using rain is early March to early may depending on your region while late planting using rain is mid August to early September depending on your region planting watermelon by june july and early August is not advisable as too much water will kill it

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 8:17pm On Mar 15, 2021
one thing that most people don't know about watermelon is that once it germinates after 6 days of planting there's need for protection against insects and fungi so you're to apply pesticides every week and fungicides when you notice fungi attack else you won't harvest even one ball

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 8:24pm On Mar 15, 2021
there's also need for fertilizer application 2weeks after planting during this period Is either one uses poultry dung or npk 20-10+10 apply 15cm away from the base of the plant applying too close to the plant can harm the plant and burn it down at 4 we

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 8:57pm On Mar 15, 2021
is anyone following

55 Likes

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 9:38pm On Mar 15, 2021
the most common disease of watermelon is downy mildew it's caused by excessive water on the leaves of the plant or too much cold this always results in the leaves squeezing and turning yellow and less growth the solution to this is application of imi force mixed up with best insecticide or any other insecticide measurement should not exceed 30 ml per knapsack sprayer

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by willybaby(m): 9:57pm On Mar 15, 2021
JeAgro477:
is anyone following
yes o... bumper to bumper self

8 Likes

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by Timmylehyn(m): 10:11pm On Mar 15, 2021
JeAgro477:
is anyone following
Absolutely! Please continue your lecture. It will be beneficial not just to those of us here right now, but also prospective growers in years.

I lost 6,000 sq m of watermelon last year. They started bursting and the leaves withered and died. This happened just a week or two to harvest.

3 Likes

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 10:48pm On Mar 15, 2021
Timmylehyn:

Absolutely! Please continue your lecture. It will be beneficial not just to those of us here right now, but also prospective growers in years.

I lost 6,000 sq m of watermelon last year. They started bursting and the leaves withered and died. This happened just a week or two to harvest.
ehyaa the bursting was because the plants suffered water deficiency for long periods of time and then there was availability of water again what I mean is that they suffered as a result of drought

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 10:57pm On Mar 15, 2021
another thing commonly found in watermelon farms is yellow leaves in this case I normally apply humus plus and if you're depending on rain and there's drought the best way to reduce damage is by applying super gro at least after every four days during the drought period to keep the plants moisture and retain water failure to do so will lead to poor harvest and if the drought occurs during the fruiting stage it can make the fruits to crack when rain resumes

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 11:04pm On Mar 15, 2021
watermelon is planted ten feet apart from each other it requires a lot of space this is because planting too close discourages bigger balls and encourages Downy mildew always put 3 seeds per hole so that even if insects or wild animals destroy some of the seeds some will remain

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 11:25pm On Mar 15, 2021
weeding in watermelon is done 2 weeks after planting and four weeks after planting respectively if you are not using pre-emergence herbicide make sure you weed at the appropriate time cause failure to do so will lead to competition for nutrients and photosynthesis between the weeds and your melon and resulting in poor yields

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 11:32pm On Mar 15, 2021
when you feed your watermelon with the right fertilizers at the right time it will produce bigger balls than smaller balls and this will maximize your profits cause the bigger the ball the higher the price with pruning bigger balls can be achieved though it's painful and back breaking pruning simply means the cutting away of smaller balls and leaving the bigger balls

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Watermelon Farming Experience by JeAgro477(m): 11:36pm On Mar 15, 2021
watermelon is highly profitable when done the right way but mind y'all when you don't treat it the way it likes you will fail woefully and blame it on village people

21 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Muhammadu Sarki Builds Tomato Paste Factory In Katsina / Ajifa Rice Processed In Idah Kogi, State (Pictures & Price) / Woman Shows Off The Big Cassava She Harvested (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.