Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,069 members, 7,821,673 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) (4868 Views)

Rose-Margaret Ekeng-Itua: World’s First Black Female Ph.d Holder In Cybernetics / Bizarre Photo Of Monkey 'Working' At A University In Taiwan Goes Viral / World's First Rare White Kiwi That Inspired Children's Books Dies (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Nobody: 11:15pm On Sep 29, 2020
Smallpox used to kill millions, but a chance discovery led to the first vaccine to be developed against a contagious disease

Smallpox was a terrible disease. “Your body would ache, you’d have high fever, a sore throat, headaches and difficulty breathing,” says epidemiologist René Najera, editor of the History of Vaccines website.

But that wasn’t the worst of it. “On top of that, you’d get a horrible disfiguring rash over your entire body – pustules filled with pus on your scalp, feet, throat, even lungs – and over the course of a couple of days, they would dry out and start falling off,” says Najera.

Even if you lived, the disease had lasting effects, leaving some of the survivors blind and all of them with nasty scars.

“When the scabs fell off, they’d leave you pockmarked and disfigured – some people committed suicide rather than live with the scarring,” Najera says.

Treatments ranged from the useless to the bizarre (and also useless). They included placing people in hot rooms, or sometimes cold rooms, abstaining from eating melons, wrapping patients in red cloth and – according to one 17th-Century medic giving “12 bottles of small beer” to the patient every 24 hours. The intoxication might have at least dulled the pain.

There was, however, one genuine cure. Known as inoculation, or variolation, it involved taking the pus from someone suffering with smallpox and scratching it into the skin of a healthy individual. Another technique involved blowing smallpox scabs up the nose.

First practiced in Africa and Asia before being eventually brought to Europe in the 18th Century, and North America by an enslaved man named Onesimus, inoculation usually resulted in a mild case of the disease. But not always.

Some people contracted full-on smallpox and all those inoculated became carriers of the disease, inadvertently passing it on to people they met.

A better solution was needed.

By the 1700s, it was relatively well known in rural England that a group of people seemed to be immune to smallpox. Milkmaids instead contracted a relatively mild cattle disease called cowpox, which left little scarring.

During a smallpox epidemic in the west of England in 1774, farmer Benjamin Jesty decided to try something. He scratched some pus from cowpox lesions on the udders of a cow into the skin of his wife and sons. None of them contracted smallpox.

It wasn’t, however, until many years later that anyone knew of Jesty’s work. The man credited with inventing vaccination, and more importantly, popularising it, made similar observations and came to similar conclusions.

Edward Jenner was a country doctor working in the small town of Berkeley in Gloucestershire. He had trained in London under one of the foremost surgeons of the day. Jenner’s interest in curing smallpox is thought to be influenced by his childhood experience of smallpox inoculation.

It’s said that Jenner was psychologically scarred by that experience, some of his motivation was just how horrific he'd found it,” says Owen Gower, manager of Dr Jenner’s House Museum. “He was thinking, ‘I want to find an alternative, something that's safer, that's less terrifying’.”

In 1796, after gathering some circumstantial evidence from farmers and milkmaids, Jenner decided to try an experiment. A potentially fatal experiment on a child.

He took some pus from cowpox lesions on the hands of a young milkmaid, Sarah Nelms, and scratched it into the skin of eight-year old James Phipps.

After a few days of mild illness, James recovered sufficiently for Jenner to inoculate the boy with matter from a smallpox blister. James did not develop smallpox, nor did any of the people he came into close contact with.

Although the experiment worked, by today’s standards it was ethically problematic.

“It really wasn't a clinical trial and the choice of who they vaccinated really makes you uncomfortable,” says Sheila Cruickshank, professor of immunology at the University of Manchester.

Nor did Jenner know the science underlying the discovery. There was no understanding that smallpox was caused by the variola virus, and the functioning of the body’s immune system was still a mystery at the time.

“A lot of what they were doing was relying on creating immunity, creating antibodies, creating memory, and they had no concept of that,” says Cruickshank. “It's mind blowing, slightly scary as well.”

Nevertheless, Jenner realised that his smallpox vaccine – the name derived from the Latin for cowpox, vaccinia – had the potential to transform medicine and save lives. But he also knew he would only halt the disease if he could vaccinate as many people as possible.

“Jenner didn't seek to make any money from his vaccine, he wasn't interested in patenting it,” says Gower. “He just wanted people to know about it and he wanted to share it.”

He converted a rustic summerhouse in his garden into his Temple of Vaccinia and invited local people to be vaccinated after church on Sunday.

“He wrote to other physicians offering them samples of the vaccine material and encouraging them to do it themselves so that people were vaccinated by their own local trusted health professional,” Gower says.

“It's a theme that we see now in terms of vaccine advocacy and ensuring acceptance of a vaccine is the right message delivered by the right person.”

After Jenner published his findings, news of the discovery spread across Europe. And then, thanks to the support of the King of Spain, around the world.

King Charles IV had lost several members of his own family to smallpox, while others – including his daughter Maria Luisa – were left scarred after surviving the disease. When he heard of Jenner’s vaccine, he commissioned a physician to lead a global expedition to deliver it to the furthest reaches of the Spanish Empire.

Although to be fair, most of these areas of the world were places European colonists had introduced smallpox to in the first place.

In 1803, the ship sailed for South America. On board were 22 orphans to act as vaccine carriers.

“There is no way of mass-producing vaccine, so they give it to a child,” explains Najera. “The child will develop the lesion, then they take it from their child a couple of days later, give it to the next child and so on and so forth down the line.”

The children were cared for on the journey by the orphanage director, Isabel de Zendala y Gomez, who also brought along her own son to contribute to the mission.

Dividing forces, the expedition travelled through the Caribbean, South and Central America and eventually crossed the Pacific to reach the Philippines. Within 20 years of its discovery, Jenner’s vaccine was already saving millions of lives.

Soon, smallpox vaccination was common practice around the world. It was completely eradicated in 1979.
Source: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200928-how-the-first-vaccine-was-born

4 Likes

Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by iamyemiakins(m): 11:16pm On Sep 29, 2020
The good old days when scientists started little by little, to make the world a better place
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Vyzz: 11:31pm On Sep 29, 2020
iamyemiakins:
The good old days when scientists started little by little, to make the world a better place

I love the way you use your words, for me it is...

Scientist are not trying to make the word a better place...

The are trying to control it....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by padi94(m): 11:50pm On Sep 29, 2020
Wow kudos to these guys... they eradicated it in 1979 wow.
Common sense ida the bedrock of all knowledge.
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Vulcanheph(m): 11:53pm On Sep 29, 2020
The Funny thing is most of the biggest problems in the world often have the simplest solutions.....for example Jonas salk the man who came up with the first ever polio vaccine injected dead polio cells on the body of patients which caused the living cells to die.

3 Likes

Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Righteousness89(m): 12:00am On Sep 30, 2020
Vaccine Production For the Covid-19 is what is Top Pirioty now...
Like I have always Maintained!
Covid-19 is Real but the Motive behind it is Far Greater than what we see or think.
It's all about Control !

The Stage is Set!
The Cast is in Place!
The GLOBALIST say' Never Let a Crisis go to Waste'

Open your Spiritual and Physical Eyes so you don't fall a victim to the Capricies of the devil..

Be Watchful and Prayerful!
Be Watchful and Prayerful'
Be Watchful and Prayerful!!

I won't say more than these!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Aidejay(m): 12:08am On Sep 30, 2020
scientists have been saving lives for centuries.
but just like every other profession they have their own bad side it will require an individual of limited understanding years to come to terms with the fact that science is and still remains to the core of it's existence a path for the betterment of human life in all ramifications.
let the fanatics find something to be scared of as usual.
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Aidejay(m): 12:31am On Sep 30, 2020
warrior benzozoon
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Openbusiness: 12:31am On Sep 30, 2020
It is well. Humanity has really come a long way
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by tobechi74: 2:29am On Sep 30, 2020
First tried in Africa- lab rat
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Ultimus: 5:00am On Sep 30, 2020
Righteousness89:
Covid-19 is Real but the Motive behind it is Far Greater than what we see or think.
It's all about Control !

The Stage is Set!
The Cast is in Place!

Open your Spiritual and Physical Eyes so you don't fall a victim to the Capricies of the devil..

When you get your research from YouTube conspiracy theory videos, you're bound to talk like this.

3 Likes

Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Raydos: 6:29am On Sep 30, 2020
This is the kind of news that makes me feel a little bit sad as a Black man

We've contributed nothing to the Growth of the world, We prefer Music, Shows, parties, Buying unneccesary stuffs, sex!!

We'll get it right one day!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Nickshrapnel: 7:06am On Sep 30, 2020
Science itself is beautifully bizarre grin
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Nobody: 7:12am On Sep 30, 2020
Always the white man innovating....even the Asians impacted to the world globally
No wonder they look down on us

3 Likes

Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Uyi168: 7:23am On Sep 30, 2020
Africans be used as lab rats as usual..
cry
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by blingxx(m): 8:17am On Sep 30, 2020
The rapture gang will still come and put religion in this
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by OgaVoltron: 8:25am On Sep 30, 2020
Raydos:
This is the kind of news that makes me feel a little bit sad as a Black man

We've contributed nothing to the Growth of the world, We prefer Music, Shows, parties, Buying unneccesary stuffs, sex!!

We'll get it right one day!!

Work on your self esteem issues. Even the bolded was drummed into your mind by Western media, it isn't even your original thoughts. The blacks ruled the world one time but unfortunately that has been expunged from your history lessons. Victors write history and it would be foolish to take such accounts as wholly true. Whatever you know has been well crafted & majority are mostly lies. Start thinking!
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Opperwezen(m): 8:36am On Sep 30, 2020
OgaVoltron:

Work on your self esteem issues. Even the bolded was drummed into your mind by Western media, it isn't even your original thoughts. The blacks ruled the world one time but unfortunately that has been expunged from your history lessons. Victors write history and it would be foolish to take such accounts as wholly true. Whatever you know has been well crafted & majority are mostly lies. Start thinking!

Food for thought!
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Gmajor(m): 10:30am On Sep 30, 2020
tobechi74:
First tried in Africa- lab rat

I'm. not sure you understood the context in which the statement was made.
You didn't even quote it correctly
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Gmajor(m): 10:32am On Sep 30, 2020
Uyi168:
Africans be used as lab rats as usual..
cry

How did you come to this conclusion?
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by kingxsamz(m): 12:07pm On Sep 30, 2020
This coronavirus is caused by 5g. And it was launched by the anti-christ so that they can produce vaccines which will establish a connection between the vaccine in our body and the 5g masts that has been mounted. Which will make us fall sick and die. They also want to use these vaccines to control our minds and thoughts. I know all these because my Pastor, Pastor Chris told me so. You people need to wake up.

1 Like

Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by sulasa07(m): 12:24pm On Sep 30, 2020
Vyzz:

I love the way you use your words, for me it is...

Scientist are not trying to make the word a better place...

The are trying to control it....
Some people don't know that drugs have become very expensive and most drugs are addictive.
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Dayoebe(m): 1:02pm On Sep 30, 2020
jajdhnsujwdsnxGsuw cbxahsmcsuhd
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Orire01(m): 1:58pm On Sep 30, 2020
Chai!

I still sell affordable laptops with free delivery and pay on delivery.

Details on my signature
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by ExAngel007(f): 4:11pm On Sep 30, 2020
Righteousness89:
It's all about Control !

The Stage is Set!
The Cast is in Place!

rubbish !!
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Cosmicstranger(m): 5:14pm On Sep 30, 2020
you're being sarcastic , right?

kingxsamz:
This coronavirus is caused by 5g. And it was launched by the anti-christ so that they can produce vaccines which will establish a connection between the vaccine in our body and the 5g masts that has been mounted. Which will make us fall sick and die. They also want to use these vaccines to control our minds and thoughts. I know all these because my Pastor, Pastor Chris told me so. You people need to wake up.
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by kingxsamz(m): 5:16pm On Sep 30, 2020
Cosmicstranger:
you're being sarcastic , right?

Lol, obviously.
I just find it funny how people watched YouTube videos and listened to pastors who also watched YouTube videos and then concluded that 5g causes coronavirus.
Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by Cosmicstranger(m): 5:55pm On Sep 30, 2020
kingxsamz:

Lol, obviously.
I just find it funny how people watched YouTube videos and listened to pastors who also watched YouTube videos and then concluded that 5g causes coronavirus.

religious fanatics and their conspiracy theories cheesy

1 Like

Re: Bizarre Method In Which The World's First Vaccine Was Created (Pictures) by damiloladuke: 7:25pm On Sep 30, 2020
Nice post

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oou Post Utme Result Is Out Check Urs Now. / Is Building Technology A Good Course? / Types Of Sentences According To Structure With Examples

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.