Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,474 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:37 AM

List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians (3670 Views)

The Most Educated States In Nigeria – Top 10 / INVESTIGATION: Only 8 Per Cent Of Nigeria’s ‘top Universities’ Respond To E-mail / Mathematicians In The House. I Need Your Help On Mensuration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians by Jamie1111(m): 1:23am On Oct 02, 2020
A  partial listing of Nigerian Mathematicans.

Indigenous contemporary mathematics research activities in modern Nigeria were pioneered by Chike Obi, Adegoke Olubummo, and James Ezeilo who obtained their doctorates in mathematics from British Universities in the 1950's. Obi and Ezeilo specialized in ordinary differential equations and Olubummo in Analysis. The very high qality of the research activities of these pioneers has been a potent motivating force of many Nigerian mathematicians.

Nigeria has also been a leader in aiding in the development of Mathematics on the entire continent. The second Pan African Congress in Mathematics was held in 1986 in Jos, Nigeria. Aderemi Kuku was a two term president of the African Mathematical Union (1986-1995). Also in 1986 Grace Lele Williams founded AMUCWMA, the African Mathematical Union's Commission on Women in Mathematics in Africa.

More recently, Nigerian researchers in the area of ordinary differential equations are engaged in the investigation of a wide range of interesting questions on qualitative properties of solutions and the existence of periodic solutions of higher order equations. The results of Ezeilo's students Haroon Tejumola and Ethelbert Chukwu standout in this regard. So also are the results ofOluska Akinyele, Anthony Afuwape, and E. N. Onwuchekwa.

In addition to the qualitative study of differential equations, Nigerians are also involved in numerical analysis of solutions. The Benin school, led by the late Simeon Ola Fatunla, and the Ilorin school formed around M.A. Ibiejugba, J.A. Gbadeyan, and P. Onumanyi (now at the University of Jos) are particularly strong in this area.

Thus, Nigeria is today well recognised in the international mathematical community as a center for ordinary differential equations.

The main sachools of functional analysis in Nigeria are located at the University of Ibadan, University of Benin, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife and University of Nigeria at Nsukka. The indigeonous pioneer was the late Adegoke Olubummo, who spent the entire span of his career at Ibadan.

We should note that George Okikiolu, a Nigerian Mathematician in London, has published twice as many papers as any other Black Mathematician. His daughterKatherine Okikiolu recently won two very high research awards in the U.S.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians by Jamie1111(m): 1:26am On Oct 02, 2020
Nigerian mathematicians we know of are:
Sammani D. Abdullahi
Iya Abubakar
Adeniran Adeboye
Samson A. Adeleke
John Olusola Adeniran
John O. Adeyeye
David I. Adu
Anthony Afuwape
Adebisi Agboola
Akeem Adesina A. Agboola
Olatunde Akinlade
Oluska Akinyele
Edet P. Akpan
John C. Amazigo
Ezekiel O. Ayoola
Bamidele Awojoyogbe
Charles E. Chidume
Ethelbert Chukwu
G.O.S. Ekhaguere
James Ezeilo
Simeon O. Fatunla
Abba B. Gumel -
S. A. Ilori -
Christopher Olutunde Imoru
Aderemi Kuku
Oluwole Daniel Makinde
Kenneth Nwabueze
Chike Obi
James Adedayo Oguntuase
Amos Olagunju
David O. Olagunju
Adegoke Olubummo
Yewande Olubummo
Victor Omololu Olunloyo
George O. Okikiolou
Katherine Okikiolu
Micah Okwuchukwu Osilike
Kevin Osondu
Gabriel A. Oyibo
Adewale Solarin
Haroon Tejumola
Livinus Uko
Grace Lele Williams

Source : http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/Africa-today/nigeria_math_today.html

The Mathematics Department of The State University of New York at Buffalo.

5 Likes

Re: List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians by Madmazel(m): 5:10am On Oct 02, 2020
Nice

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians by identitylenz(m): 5:59am On Oct 02, 2020
Iya Abubakar should be from Abu Zaria, cos there is one ICT built in his name cheesy
Not sure though grin

Anyways I'm still open for business cool
Just a small away
Check my signature cheesy
Re: List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians by Jamie1111(m): 8:36am On Oct 02, 2020
identitylenz:
Iya Abubakar should be from Abu Zaria, cos there is one ICT built in his name cheesy
Not sure though grin

Anyways I'm still open for business cool
Just a small away
Check my signature cheesy

These are the ones recognised by Mathematics Department of The State University of New York at Buffalo.
Re: List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians by femi4: 8:42am On Oct 02, 2020
The Olubummos...it runs in the blood

Chike Obi, you are mouthed
Re: List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians by Oloniyan(m): 8:58am On Oct 02, 2020
femi4:
The Olubummos...it runs in the blood

Chike Obi, you are mouthed

sounds to me that you know them.
I'm From the same town with olubummo though.
Yewande has a scientist brother too who once worked with microsoft. dunno maybe he's still there though

2 Likes

Re: List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians by DaFuhrer(m): 1:50pm On Oct 02, 2020
How many women dey that list? undecided
Re: List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians by Jamie1111(m): 2:07pm On Oct 02, 2020
DaFuhrer:
How many women dey that list? undecided
lol
Re: List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians by PurestBoy(m): 2:59pm On Oct 02, 2020
Where's late Prof Ayeni from Lautech?
Re: List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians by jpawjpaw(m): 4:31pm On Oct 02, 2020
OP I no see my name?
Re: List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians by GreatrAnalyst: 7:44pm On Oct 02, 2020
PurestBoy:

Thank youuuuuuu!
I was using using control + F to search for his name on the list, only your mention came up.
I guess the OP didn't know him.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians by GreatrAnalyst: 7:44pm On Oct 02, 2020
PurestBoy:

Thank youuuuuuu!
I was using control + F to search for his name on the list, only your mention came up.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians by gulfer: 10:16pm On Oct 02, 2020
PurestBoy:
Thank you, I was waiting for someone to bring up his name....he taught me in lautech cool cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians by tobechi74: 1:50am On Oct 03, 2020
Why is my name not here. I teach nursery one basic mathematics at community international school Iritanefa . Without basic foundation, professors labor in vain
Re: List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians by PurestBoy(m): 2:58pm On Oct 03, 2020
gulfer:
Thank you, I was waiting for someone to bring up his name....he taught me in lautech cool cool cool cool

Yeah he taught me too, my hostel was opposite his house at Adenike. I'm 2009 set
Re: List Of Nigeria Top Mathematicians by PurestBoy(m): 3:01pm On Oct 03, 2020
GreatrAnalyst:

Thank youuuuuuu!
I was using control + F to search for his name on the list, only your mention came up.

Prof Ayeni, man was too good and very influential in Lautech. I'm 2009 set. The man that recalled someone from NYSC camp to come back and sort an issue

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Is This "Result Not Available At This Specified Year And Exam Diet" / 5 Business Ideas That Can Fetch You N20,000 Weekly From The Comfort Of Your Home / heaven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.