Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,393 members, 7,812,154 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) (74479 Views)

Natural Heart-Shaped Lake Toyoni In Japan (Pictures) / Ikenna Nweke: I Declined 10% Of Money I Found In Japan / G20 Summit: Donald Trump's Motorcade Vs Vladimir Putin's Motorcade In Japan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:29pm On Oct 04, 2020
Northwest of the majestic Mount Fuji is the sprawling 13.5 square miles of Aokigahara, a forest so thick with foliage that it's known as the Sea of Trees.

People have chosen this place, notoriously called The Suicide Forest, as the setting for their final moments, walking in with no intention of ever walking back out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5499373/amp/Haunting-images-inside-Japans-suicide-forest.html

25 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:33pm On Oct 04, 2020
Aokigahara's suicide rates vary, because the forest is so lush that some corpses can go undiscovered for years or might be forever lost.

However, some estimates claim as many as 100 people a year have successfully killed themselves there.

In 2003, 105 bodies were found in the forest, exceeding the previous record of 78 in 2002.

In 2010, the police recorded more than 200 people having attempted suicide in the forest, of whom 54 completed the act.

Suicides are said to increase during March, the end of the fiscal year in Japan.

As of 2011, the most common means of suicide in the forest were hanging or drug overdose.

In recent years, local officials have stopped publicizing the numbers in an attempt to decrease Aokigahara's association with suicide.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5499373/amp/Haunting-images-inside-Japans-suicide-forest.html

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:35pm On Oct 04, 2020
A map is seen at the entrance to Japan's Aokigahara forest, which has become known as one of the world's most prevalent suicide sites.

It reads: 'Your life is a precious gift from your parents. Please think about your parents, siblings and children. Don't keep it to yourself. Talk about your troubles.'

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:36pm On Oct 04, 2020
There's chilling evidence left behind from people who choose to end their lives there. Shoes, back packs, plastic bottles, shirts and so on.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:37pm On Oct 04, 2020
The suicide rate in Yamanashi prefecture, where the forest is located, was the worst in Japan for eight years until 2014.

A rope remains tied to a tree at the scene of a suicide in Aokigahara forest, which has become synonymous with suicide.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:38pm On Oct 04, 2020
21,897 people taking their own lives in 2016.

The density of the forest is believed to be a contributing factor with people often tying string and markers to trees to find their way back to a path in case they change their mind.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:38pm On Oct 04, 2020
Part of these measures to prevent suicide attempt included posting security cameras at the entrance of the Suicide Forest and increasing patrols.

Suicide counselors and police have also posted signs on various paths throughout the forest that offer messages like "Think carefully about your children, your family" and "Your life is a precious gift from your parents."

The forest's trees organically twist and turn, their roots winding across the forest floor in treacherous threads.

Because of its location at the base of a mountain, the ground is uneven, rocky, and perforated with hundreds of caves.

But more jarring than its tricky terrain is the feeling of isolation created from the stillness, the trees are too tightly packed for winds to whip through and the wildlife is sparse.

One visitor described the silence as "chasms of emptiness."

She added, "I cannot emphasize enough the absence of sound. My breath sounded like a roar."

Volunteers who search the area for bodies and those considering suicide typically mark their way with plastic ribbon that they'll loop around trees in this leafy labyrinth.

Otherwise, one could easily lose their bearings after leaving the path and become fatally lost.

No mobile network

Rich with magnetic iron, the soil of the Suicide Forest plays havoc on cellphone service, GPS systems, and even compasses. This is why tape can be so crucial.

But some believe this feature is proof of demons in the dark.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/73288/15-eerie-things-about-japans-suicide-forest

7 Likes

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:39pm On Oct 04, 2020
There's a scary movie about the forest (2016).

52 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by tygar(m): 6:44pm On Oct 04, 2020
make I park here

11 Likes

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by tunjilomo(m): 6:45pm On Oct 04, 2020
Crazy forest. Crazy Japanese.
There might be some place like that here. But not many will know.

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by tillaman(m): 7:17pm On Oct 04, 2020
I saw a documentary on this Aikoghara forest on YouTube back mehn I thought the narrator was full of shiiit until he started showing the videos
That shiiiit was terrifying

7 Likes

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by temitope23(m): 7:27pm On Oct 04, 2020
Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by DenreleDave(m): 7:33pm On Oct 04, 2020
Wow... Can I buy a land in this forest pls

17 Likes

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by ThreeEyedRaven: 8:16pm On Oct 04, 2020
Explorers:
There's a movie (2016)
Margery Tyrrell!!! (Natalie Dormer) that girl is one of the hottest British actress and I usually enjoy seeing her on TV. I'll have to watch this movie smiley

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by Flexherbal(m): 8:19pm On Oct 04, 2020
This life!

However, some estimates claim as many as 100 people a year have successfully killed themselves there.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by merieam16(f): 8:23pm On Oct 04, 2020
Scary...this one na north,our sambisa forest too na north.hmmm bad thing happens majorly in the north.

wat am i sayin...fear north!

89 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by ednut1(m): 8:24pm On Oct 04, 2020
Rip to them. Instead make dem sell one kidney flex before committing suicide.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by Ishilove: 8:26pm On Oct 04, 2020
This is so creepy

13 Likes

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by roqrules04(m): 8:37pm On Oct 04, 2020
Things dey happen inside this earth o

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by Vilgax: 8:41pm On Oct 04, 2020
read about this forest some years back.

there was even an article about it on Listverse some days back.

if you look at the pictures, you'll notice that strings are tied to the trees.
the strings are usually tied by potential suicide victims at the entrance to the forest so that they can find their way back incase they change their mind.

chances are if you follow a fresh looking string, you'll probably find a dead body at the end.

82 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by Umueme: 8:49pm On Oct 04, 2020
Been there before.....fright nearly kill me

Don't argue with me, I have bum ache cheesy

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by TheFacelessMan: 8:57pm On Oct 04, 2020
shocked
Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by EXLOVER(m): 10:24pm On Oct 04, 2020
The real evil forest

1 Like

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by jizzyjordan: 10:46pm On Oct 04, 2020
Explores always on point

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by pryingeyes(m): 10:53pm On Oct 04, 2020
Ok kkkk. That Forrest Akara Ogun was talking about. Forrest of a thousand demons.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by Nmezor(f): 11:55pm On Oct 04, 2020
So creepy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by Nobody: 12:12am On Oct 05, 2020
ednut1:
Rip to them. Instead make dem sell one kidney flex before committing suicide.
na WA o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by Nobody: 12:14am On Oct 05, 2020
There must be something triggering this suicide in Japan.
For as many as 21k people dying, there must be something triggering the suicides.

Lily liver people.
If you can survive in Nigeria, you can survive anywhere in the world

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by ekaette1621: 12:21am On Oct 05, 2020
i know that one Afonja will soon go there.

6 Likes

Re: Aokigahara Forest Where Hundreds Have Committed Suicide In Japan(Pics) by Kvngfrosh(m): 1:55am On Oct 05, 2020
I heard there's a large man-made statue at the beginning of the forest

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bonny Island: Most Beautiful Island In Nigeria (Photos) / Cameroonian Man Deported From Turkey, Wrapped In Cling Film As A Luggage / Woman Stopped At German Airport After Husband's Bones Were Found In Her Luggage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.