Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate (1381 Views)

This Is Where US Vice President Lives / Saudi TV Mocks Joe Biden And Kamala Harris In Viral Skit / Biography, Net Worth Of Kamala Harris, The US Vice President-Elect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by ogbiwa: 8:47am On Oct 08, 2020
Summary
Democrat Kamala Harris and Republican Vice-President Mike Pence debated in Salt Lake City, Utah

It was more civil than last week's chaotic event at the top of the ticket and more policy discussions

Pence defended the US response to Covid-19, which has killed 200,000 Americans

Harris called it "the greatest failure of any presidential administration in the history of our country"

They also tangled over taxes, with Pence accusing Harris of a tax hike on working people, which she denies

The duo on stage were separated by glass barriers as a precaution for the pandemic

A fly landing on Pence's head during the debate provided a little light relief for thousands on social media

How did debate moderator Susan Page do?

After last week's chaotic presidential debate, a lot of attention on Tuesday was on moderator Susan Page - could she bring some discipline to the show?

The verdict online is that while this debate was undoubtedly better at airing important issues, the USA Today journalist did not do enough to stop the candidates interrupting each other or dodging questions.

Democrat Kamala Harris had to remind her opponent "Mr Vice-President, I'm speaking" when Mike Pence interrupted her numerous times.

"Susan Page’s ultimate failure is that she made the first black woman ever to participate in a #VPdebate fight for equal treatment and equal time," tweeted one Democrat activist.

According to a tally by CBS, Pence interrupted Harris twice as many times as she did him over the course of their 90-minute debate.

Page's polite approach to encouraging candidates to finish speaking has also been criticised. Politico notes that Page said versions of "thank you" or “thank you, Mr Vice President" 22 times to Pence, but with little effect. Some also criticised Page for calling Kamala Harris by her first name at one point (instead of Senator Harris) but addressing Mike Pence by his title vice-president.

On matters of substance, critics said Page allowed the candidates to dodge answering difficult questions - including Harris on the Supreme Court, and Pence on whether he wanted to ban abortion in his home state.

Why was 'pink eye Covid' trending?
Google says that “pink eye Covid” was one of the top search trends within the first half-hour of the debate. Why?

Well, a lot of viewers noticed that Pence's left eye looked a bit red at the start of the debate - and started speculating over whether it was a symptom of Covid-19, particularly given the recent outbreak at the White House.

It's worth bearing in mind that eye problems are not among the main symptoms of Covid-19 - the World Health Organization says the most common symptoms are a fever, dry cough and tiredness.

It does describe conjunctivitis, which can lead to red or pink eyes, as one of the less common symptoms.

But the White House says Pence has been tested daily, and consistently tested negative - including on Wednesday, before the debate was held.

The debate in brief

You're going to be seeing a lot of stories about a fly. That's because an insect landed on Mike Pence's head and remained there for two minutes - to the glee and fascination of Twitter. Let's move on...

Basically, it was less of a bad-tempered bust-up than the presidential debate last week. Methodical Mike Pence showed a calmer demeanour than his boss, and Kamala Harris kept it civil

As Pence defended the White House's record on coronavirus, Harris lost the advantage by failing to press him on the burgeoning cluster of cases linked to the president

Both candidates dodged questions - Harris on the Supreme Court, and Pence on whether he wanted to ban abortion in his home state

The sharpest exchanges came on the topic of racial division and law enforcement. Harris accused Trump of struggling to condemn white supremacists, and Pence bridled at suggestions that America is systemically racist

Why an insect stole the show at the debate
Okay, we have to explain about the fly.

Despite the candidates' best efforts, nothing they said resonated with people online quite like the wanderings of one unsuspecting insect.

For approximately two minutes, a fly landed on Vice-President Mike Pence's head and became an instant internet celebrity.

The phrase "the fly" has been tweeted and retweeted more than 700,000 times since it appeared during the debate.

The Biden campaign has taken full advantage, registering the domain "flywillvote.com", while a picture of Joe wielding a fly-swatter (or is it a horse whip?) has been liked more than 500,000 times.

VP debate dominates Indian media
The VP debate is receiving prominent coverage in Indian media today, and "Kamala" is one of the top trending topics on Twitter in India along with #VicePresidentialDebate2020, and #VPDebate, BBC Monitoring reports.

The US and India are allies, but there is also a high level of interest in the debate because Kamala Harris' mother was born in India.

So what was Indian media's verdict on the debate? The consensus seems to be - nothing spectacular, but at least it was more substantial than the presidential debate.

News channel NDTV said the VP debate was "unlikely to alter the trajectory of the race" while News18 concluded that, despite "important issues" being discussed, "a fly still became the most interesting thing".

Meanwhile, newspaper Hindustan TImes wrote: "Despite tensions between the two camps, both Harris and Pence debated relatively more calmly compared to last month’s acrimonious opening debate between Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden and President Donald Trump."

Either way, the reviews are more favourable than those of the presidential debate last week - where news channel AajTak accused both Trump and Biden of "mud-slinging", while the Times of India wrote: "The US embarrassed itself before the world for 100 minutes."

Read more:
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/election-us-2020-54416128

Lalasticlala Mynd44

Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by Logon59: 8:48am On Oct 08, 2020
Spoken jabs o, not physical jabs.
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by osamz007: 8:54am On Oct 08, 2020
TRUMP 2020
#MAGA

1 Like

Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by PlayerMeji: 8:54am On Oct 08, 2020
Well.. I will leave the American hypocrites to themselves.
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by longetivity(m): 9:07am On Oct 08, 2020
Trump 4-4
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by Nobody: 9:19am On Oct 08, 2020
Biden-Harris 2020.
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by N2B2: 9:41am On Oct 08, 2020
Harris eviscerated the poor man.

Pence is an outstanding debater, but trying to defend the indefensible caused him the debate.
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by mainetrix: 7:49am On Oct 09, 2020
N2B2:

Pence is an outstanding debater, but trying to defend the indefensible caused him the debate.

! what were watching? Your tv or your thumbnail..

1 Like

Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by N2B2: 2:57pm On Oct 09, 2020
mainetrix:

Isn't that a question you should answer? Do you even know who Mike Pence is? undecided
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by N2B2: 1:32am On Oct 10, 2020
mainetrix:

You lost your temper and violated rule 2. grin If you don't know who Mike Pence is, you should have just said so. grin
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by dometome: 3:51am On Oct 10, 2020
N2B2:

I don't think you watched the debate. Harris was on the defense most of the time. She is the one trying to defend the indefensible. Pence was as cool and hard as a block of ice.
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by N2B2: 6:31am On Oct 10, 2020
dometome:
I don't think you watched the debate. Harris was on the defense most of the time. She is the one trying to defend the indefensible. Pence was as cool and hard as a block of ice.

What did Pence attack her on? Her previous support of the Green New Deal, her stance on packing the court, and her track record as AG of CA.

Pence, on the other hand, had a lot to defend: his administration's bungling of Covid - a taskforce he heads; the super-spreader WH event; Trump's many deranged comments; Trump's shady dealings and tax returns; Trump's refusal to condemn white supremacy, and his "Stand back and stand by" comment; GOP's push to confirm ACB; Trump's refusal to commit to a peaceful transfer of power; Roe v Wade; potential loss of pre-existing conditions for 23million Americans... Should I go on? grin
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by dometome: 7:28am On Oct 10, 2020
N2B2:

What did Pence attack her on? Her previous support of the Green New Deal, her stance on packing the court, and her track record as AG of CA.

Pence, on the other hand, had a lot to defend: his administration's bungling of Covid - a taskforce he heads; the super-spreader WH event; Trump's many deranged comments; Trump's shady dealings and tax returns; Trump's refusal to condemn white supremacy, and his "Stand back and stand by" comment; GOP's push to confirm ACB; Trump's refusal to commit to a peaceful transfer of power; Roe v Wade; potential loss of pre-existing conditions for 23million Americans... Should I go on? grin
the usual CNN lies that DRats attack trump with. The question of packing the court, was very revealing, she then said that there are no gay people in the Scourt, she was dodging that question and Pence repeated it till she spilled the beans. All these points you mentioned above are the usual nonsense we hear from DRats. Come up with something new.
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by N2B2: 9:40am On Oct 10, 2020
dometome:
the usual CNN lies that DRats attack trump with. The question of packing the court, was very revealing, she then said that there are no gay people in the Scourt, she was dodging that question and Pence repeated it till she spilled the beans. All these points you mentioned above are the usual nonsense we hear from DRats. Come up with something new.

What brought CNN into this, biko? grin I was right; it seems you really didn't watch the debate. grin

Pence dodged more questions than Harris did. In fact, he spent most of his time for new questions going back to the previous few topics he could attack Kamala on. cheesy Kamala had ammo on every topic asked, and she eviscerated Pence.

Pence is a smooth debater - I won't lie. But, still, it stands to reason that incumbents would have more to defend than challengers, as incumbents are already in power. Pence would make a fine Potus, if you asked me, but his political career has been strained by the slimy worm that is Donald Trump. Now - and in the future - Pence will always have to defend his role in the terrible tenure of the Donald Trump presidency.

Donald Trump has covid, but he refused to stay in the hospital. The Gop senators are now refusing to get tested so that they aren't forced to quarantine. These people are ready to place their lives on the line to win, because they know that jail awaits them if Democrats win the WH and Senate. Some GOP senators are already trying to distance themselves from Trump, but it's already too late. grin

Also, CNN is over a decade older than Fox. grin
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by dometome: 9:21pm On Oct 10, 2020
N2B2:

What brought CNN into this, biko? grin I was right; it seems you really didn't watch the debate. grin

Pence dodged more questions than Harris did. In fact, he spent most of his time for new questions going back to the previous few topics he could attack Kamala on. cheesy Kamala had ammo on every topic asked, and she eviscerated Pence.

Pence is a smooth debater - I won't lie. But, still, it stands to reason that incumbents would have more to defend than challengers, as incumbents are already in power. Pence would make a fine Potus, if you asked me, but his political career has been strained by the slimy worm that is Donald Trump. Now - and in the future - Pence will always have to defend his role in the terrible tenure of the Donald Trump presidency.

Donald Trump has covid, but he refused to stay in the hospital. The Gop senators are now refusing to get tested so that they aren't forced to quarantine. These people are ready to place their lives on the line to win, because they know that jail awaits them if Democrats win the WH and Senate. Some GOP senators are already trying to distance themselves from Trump, but it's already too late. grin

Also, CNN is over a decade older than Fox. grin
I wonder how he dodged questions, while he is the one who always said to the moderator, thank you for the question but I have to get back to what she ( kamalala) said earlier, we saw him do that several times. In fact the moderator said to Pence " thank you Mr vice president" many many times, to cut him short, but he kept on "sparking" because he had a lot more to say. Any ways, I quote Pence, " you are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts". He said it twice to Kamalala, during that debate. As for Corona, after Kamalala, said what they will do about corona, Pence said something about plagiarism, that was a uppercut. Pence SMOKED her alive.
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by N2B2: 5:03pm On Oct 11, 2020
dometome:
I wonder how he dodged questions, while he is the one who always said to the moderator, thank you for the question but I have to get back to what she ( kamalala) said earlier, we saw him do that several times. In fact the moderator said to Pence " thank you Mr vice president" many many times, to cut him short, but he kept on "sparking" because he had a lot more to say. Any ways, I quote Pence, " you are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts". He said it twice to Kamalala, during that debate. As for Corona, after Kamalala, said what they will do about corona, Pence said something about plagiarism, that was a uppercut. Pence SMOKED her alive.

You've just admitted that Pence used his time to repeat his few lines of attack, and that he repeatedly spoke outside his time - something Trump did, as well. The latter is against the debate rules. grin

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you're not entitled to your own facts" is an advice best reserved for Trump, who specializes in 'Alternative Facts' (Lies grin).

Pence said "plagiarism" and that's an uppercut? Rofl cheesy I don't think you watched the debate. That fly made more of an impact in the debate than Pence did. grin
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by dometome: 8:37pm On Oct 12, 2020
N2B2:

You've just admitted that Pence used his time to repeat his few lines of attack, and that he repeatedly spoke outside his time - something Trump did, as well. The latter is against the debate rules. grin

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you're not entitled to your own facts" is an advice best reserved for Trump, who specializes in 'Alternative Facts' (Lies grin).

Pence said "plagiarism" and that's an uppercut? Rofl cheesy I don't think you watched the debate. That fly made more of an impact in the debate than Pence did. grin
you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. Pence clearly won the debate. By a long margin.
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by N2B2: 11:06pm On Oct 12, 2020
dometome:
you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. Pence clearly won the debate. By a long margin.

Since it goes both ways, that's your opinion, na, abi? grin
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by dometome: 8:00am On Oct 13, 2020
N2B2:

Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by dometome: 8:17am On Oct 13, 2020
N2B2:

you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts

Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by N2B2: 10:35am On Oct 13, 2020
dometome:
you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts

Alt-right sites and inaccurate Twitter polls where everyone - including those outside US - can vote on? Rofl. cheesy

Sit down, son! grin

Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by dometome: 10:58am On Oct 13, 2020
N2B2:

Alt-right sites and inaccurate Twitter polls where everyone - including those outside US - can vote on? Rofl. cheesy

Sit down, son! grin
I showed you different media organizations, even USA today that is left leaning. You brought the chief fake news media organization. Clinton News Network. Hahahahaha. Try again.
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by N2B2: 1:45pm On Oct 13, 2020
dometome:
I showed you different media organizations, even USA today that is left leaning. You brought the chief fake news media organization. Clinton News Network. Hahahahaha. Try again.

Tah! You showed me a Twitter poll. grin How many of those following the page actually live in the US? You even voted as if it'll matter in their election. cheesy

Fyi, CNN is older and has more credibility than Faux News and USA Today combined. grin
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by dometome: 2:58pm On Oct 13, 2020
N2B2:

Tah! You showed me a Twitter poll. grin How many of those following the page actually live in the US? You even voted as if it'll matter in their election. cheesy

Fyi, CNN is older and has more credibility than Faux News and USA Today combined. grin
USA today is a left leaning media house. It doesn't say anything good about Trump. But their readers said Pence won, where did Clinton News Network conduct their own poll? Twitter is where everything happens. The same Communist News Network that said that Ivorian people don't know what chocolate tastes like, as I watched it, in my hand was a bar of chocolate made in Ivory coast, Mambo brand to be precise.
And I cannot remember saying anything about Fox news
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by N2B2: 5:03pm On Oct 13, 2020
dometome:
USA today is a left leaning media house. It doesn't say anything good about Trump. But their readers said Pence won, where did Clinton News Network conduct their own poll? Twitter is where everything happens. The same Communist News Network that said that Ivorian people don't know what chocolate tastes like, as I watched it, in my hand was a bar of chocolate made in Ivory coast, Mambo brand to be precise.
And I cannot remember saying anything about Fox news

I have gone to vote on that USA Today Twitter poll. grin Even you voted there, as though you'd be able to vote in that election. grin That's what Twitter polls are - inaccurate.

CNN, MSNBC, ABC, and other reputable networks actually put calls through to registered American voters to conduct their polls. That's the difference between a Twitter Poll and an actual in-house American poll. Say "USA Today" as many times as you want - it doesn't change the fact that you brought a Twitter poll here. grin

Communist News Network? I thought it was Clinton News Network? cheesy I'm not sure where you're watching your news, o. This ajangbadi political reasoning might be why Trump called your country a shithole country. grin
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by dometome: 7:45am On Oct 14, 2020
N2B2:

I have gone to vote on that USA Today Twitter poll. grin Even you voted there, as though you'd be able to vote in that election. grin That's what Twitter polls are - inaccurate.

CNN, MSNBC, ABC, and other reputable networks actually put calls through to registered American voters to conduct their polls. That's the difference between a Twitter Poll and an actual in-house American poll. Say "USA Today" as many times as you want - it doesn't change the fact that you brought a Twitter poll here. grin

Communist News Network? I thought it was Clinton News Network? cheesy I'm not sure where you're watching your news, o. This ajangbadi political reasoning might be why Trump called your country a shithole country. grin
sorry I did not vote.
BTW in the 2016 election cycle, these fake news media houses have Hillary very high polling numbers and still, she lost. USA today is NOT a Trump supporter media house, they are as leftist as any lame stream media house, in fact in this poll, they initially omitted Pence, and put Biden instead. It was Senator Cruz that tweeted it, showing how the hate they have for 45 makes them omit Pence. Other Americans began calling them out before they then redid the polls, but still Pence won.
Neither CNN, ABC nor Nothing But Crap did any poll. In house American poll, maybe they did that in your rectum. Go and sit down. I identify myself as a Biafran. See you on November 3.
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by N2B2: 9:34am On Oct 14, 2020
dometome:
sorry I did not vote.
BTW in the 2016 election cycle, these fake news media houses have Hillary very high polling numbers and still, she lost. USA today is NOT a Trump supporter media house, they are as leftist as any lame stream media house, in fact in this poll, they initially omitted Pence, and put Biden instead. It was Senator Cruz that tweeted it, showing how the hate they have for 45 makes them omit Pence. Other Americans began calling them out before they then redid the polls, but still Pence won.
Neither CNN, ABC nor Nothing But Crap did any poll. In house American poll, maybe they did that in your rectum. Go and sit down. I identify myself as a Biafran. See you on November 3.

An ndigbo brother that keeps dodging obvious points (Twitter Poll grin), claiming incessantly that he knows what he's talking about when he clearly doesn't. Sad grin

Polls in 2016 were not mostly wrong. Hilary was projected to win 3.3%+ more national votes than Trump, and guess what, she won 2.1% more votes than he did - a popular vote victory, but the electoral college cost her.

Pollsters failed to take into account the large number of undecided voters, who made their choices late to vote for Trump, and white kids without college degrees were greatly unrepresented.

All of that ain't happening this year. Heck, voting has already started. 10 million+ Americans have already voted; only a tiny number of Americans are undecided voters this year, unlike 2016; and Trump has more haters now than Hilary ever did.

But, no need for long talk. We'll see Nov 3rd. wink
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by dometome: 5:09pm On Oct 14, 2020
N2B2:

An ndigbo brother that keeps dodging obvious points (Twitter Poll grin), claiming incessantly that he knows what he's talking about when he clearly doesn't. Sad grin

Polls in 2016 were not mostly wrong. Hilary was projected to win 3.3%+ more national votes than Trump, and guess what, she won 2.1% more votes than he did - a popular vote victory, but the electoral college cost her.

Pollsters failed to take into account the large number of undecided voters, who made their choices late to vote for Trump, and white kids without college degrees were greatly unrepresented.

All of that ain't happening this year. Heck, voting has already started. 10 million+ Americans have already voted; only a tiny number of Americans are undecided voters this year, unlike 2016; and Trump has more haters now than Hilary ever did.

But, no need for long talk. We'll see Nov 3rd. wink
hahahahaha hahahahaha! OK! We shall see.
Re: Mike Pence And Kamala Harris Exchange Jabs At The US Vice Presidential Debate by N2B2: 6:32pm On Nov 04, 2020
dometome:
sorry I did not vote.

How market, bros? grin

We agreed to meet, ba? grin

(1) (Reply)

Thanks to Biden: NATO Uk American Weapons And Humvees Captured By Russian Troops / Hammas Captures Israeli Commander / New Pictures Show Second Chinese Stealth Fighter(j-31) Being Test Flown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.