Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,917 members, 7,828,201 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session (20426 Views)

Gbajabiamila Deceived Us To Call Off Strike ― ASUU / [BREAKING] Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session / ASUU To Suspend Strike After Closed Door Meeting With FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session by sinkhole: 7:40pm On Oct 12, 2020
Academic Staff Union of Nigeria Universities ( ASUU), has declared that its opposition against the enrollment of members for the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System ( IPPIS), by the federal government stands.

The National President of the University lecturers, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi made the declaration after about three hours of interface with the leadership of the Senate ‘ saying ” on University Transparency and Accountability Solution ( UTAS), they stand.

This is as the President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, called on both ASUU and Federal Government to shift ground for the sake of Universities Students who have been home since February this year when ASUU embarked on strike action against the implementation of IPPIS.

While fielding questions from Journalists after the interface, the ASUU President, said: “as patriotic, innovative and creative Nigerians, ASUU developed a home grown platform that should be used by the Federal government to effect transparency and accountability in the process of payments of lecturers’ emoluments “.

The alternative platform according to him, is University Transparency and Accountability Solution ( UTAS) which according to him, has been explained to the government as a mechanism far, far better than imported IPPIS.

” As promoters of local content and a firm believer in concepts and ideas directly responsive to prevailing peculiarities, on UTAS we stand and not ready to move an inch towards the direction of IPPIS which is imported and not responsive to the peculiarities involved in lecturers’ emoluments “, he stressed.

Though he added that the interface between ASUU and Senate leadership was helped in bringing up the issues towards addressing them but the concrete solution is yet to be achieved, for the very reason, the meeting is slated for another day.

Earlier in his submissions before the Senate Leadership, the ASUU boss, said they have been kicking against the implementation of IPPIS for University lecturers since 2013 to the point of almost reaching an agreement with the government in 2015.

Aside from the issue of IPPIS, he said none implementation of agreements the government signed with it since 2009, was also part of the reasons, they have been on strike for the past eight months.

“We are here in furtherance of our previous interaction and today we hope to share with you as you requested the last time we were here the product of our invention which is an alternative to the IPPIS.

” We are also here to solicit your support on the need for government to urgently address the outstanding issue concerning our demands”, he said .

Lawan in his response said the purpose of this meeting is really to explore further hour the Senate and indeed the National Assembly can intervene to resolve the issues that are still lingering.

“We really don’t need this kind of situation where our universities are shut. Our children are the main victims of this. Therefore both government and ASUU have to find a common ground for our universities to open and offer the kind of services expected of our universities.

“We cannot afford as a country to continue to have this kind of crisis. This may explain why those that can afford will normally go out of the country even to West African countries like Ghana to receive a University education.

“The idea is to find out how we can resolve the outstanding issues and it is supposed to be give and take.

” Government cannot have all its way and I believe ASUU should not expect to get everything it has asked for.

“Our situation today is something that everyone knows what it is. It is a very stressful economic situation and I believe that the government is supposed to even within this type of situation play its own part.

” Its obligations must be redeemed within the confines of what we can do.”

https://ait.live/ippis-ASUU-adamant-against-implementation/

1 Like

Re: Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session by harmony75: 7:48pm On Oct 12, 2020
#EndSARS #EndAsuustrike
Re: Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session by ofiko123(m): 7:50pm On Oct 12, 2020
[quote author=anochuko01 post=94873738][/quote]

grin grin I rebuke it in Jesus name..
Re: Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session by Hardebolah23: 7:51pm On Oct 12, 2020
Loll menn you so on point..it's only ASUU that can silently save them from this social unrest
CountryTireMan:
They want to send protesters back to school.

#EndSARS
Re: Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session by oshionelecky: 7:58pm On Oct 12, 2020
jericco1:

My brother there are jobs out there if only you're qualified.

Boss. I am a Second Class Upper (Honours)
graduate in Accounting from the University of Benin. I am qualified, my course mates and lecturers can attest to my capabilities.

I need a job.

Sebi you say jobs dey? Oya over to you boss.
Re: Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session by jericco1(m): 8:07pm On Oct 12, 2020
oshionelecky:

Boss. I am a Second Class Upper (Honours)
graduate in Accounting from the University of Benin. I am qualified, my course mates and lecturers can attest to my capabilities.

I need a job.

Sebi you say jobs dey? Oya over to you boss.

Jobs dey bros.. there are platforms you can go to submit your CV and undoubtedly you'd be called for interview.
Re: Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session by ozone29(m): 8:17pm On Oct 12, 2020
So polytechnics and colleges of education staff won't join hands with ASUU to correct the anomalies of ippis. Next year they will be talking shit.
Re: Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session by greater9ija(m): 8:39pm On Oct 12, 2020
muykem:
Why is ASUU afraid IPPS? I don't just understand. Can somebody please explain their position.
When NUPENG and PENGASSAN refused to enrol and threatened strike, Govt negotiated and agree with them the following day. You cant subject universities to civil service operation. Why agree with oil workers but not Universities lecturers

3 Likes

Re: Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session by Adeneye12345(m): 9:42pm On Oct 12, 2020
Sirmwill:
ASUU knows that they can be ended like SARS if all students should decide to run mad small... grin

#EndASUU... cheesy
Exactly, it's better for them to mind their speesssh
Re: Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session by Blackmann001: 9:50pm On Oct 12, 2020
F.G should not now to ASUU oo
Re: Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session by Gabbriell: 4:48am On Oct 13, 2020
muykem:
Why is ASUU afraid IPPS? I don't just understand. Can somebody please explain their position.

I don't know much but here is the little I know:

In summary, ASUU feel the current IPPIS will handicap Nigeria universities. First their salaries have been reduced by the IPPIS. They believed the calculations were not done right and that those in charge didn't take some things into consideration while making the algorithm for the IPPIS for lecturers.

Again long story short: There is more to Tertiary education (universities) compared to primary and O-level or non teaching university staffs. IPPIS is handling Universities education the same way they are handling other level of education which didn't sit well with ASUU.

Note: The university is not only a B.Sc degree institute as many usually perceive. Universities embodies other higher degrees.

Now there are about 10,500 professors in Nigeria. Number of public universities in Nigeria is currently 92 as at 2020.

Imagine the numerous areas of discipline across several departments. 10,500 is not enough.

For instance, i schooled in UNN. The university currently has 102 departments, one of which is Physics & Astronomy. Now in physics and Astro, there are many areas of specialization like Astrophysics, Solar Physics, Solid Earth Geophysics, Atmospheric Physics, Medical Physics and Therectical physics.

In Truth, even in most countries its never enough. So what they do is universities needing academic doctors and professors are allowed to employed those already working on a temporary basis (visiting or sabbatical ). This is what help many universities to graduate Masters and PHD students and even B.Sc in some cases.

NOW IPPIS dose not take things like that and more into consideration. So imagine the consequences. It is bad for both the lecturers and students.

PS: For those that will read this and quote me senselessly, I no longer reply senseless or abusive quotes.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session by kingi777: 6:55am On Oct 13, 2020
Gabbriell:

I don't know much but here is the little I know:

In summary, ASUU feel the current IPPIS will handicap Nigeria universities. First their salaries have been reduced by the IPPIS. They believed the calculations were not done right and that those in charge didn't take some things into consideration while making the algorithm for the IPPIS for lecturers.

Again long story short: There is more to Tertiary education (universities) compared to primary and O-level or non teaching university staffs. IPPIS is handling Universities education the same way they are handling other level of education which didn't sit well with ASUU.

Note: The university is not only a B.Sc degree institute as many usually perceive. Universities embodies other higher degrees.

Now there are about 10,500 professors in Nigeria. Number of public universities in Nigeria is currently 92 as at 2020.

Imagine the numerous areas of discipline across several departments. 10,500 is not enough.

For instance, i schooled in UNN. The university currently has 102 departments, one of which is Physics & Astronomy. Now in physics and Astro, there are many areas of specialization like Astrophysics, Solar Physics, Solid Earth Geophysics, Atmospheric Physics, Medical Physics and Therectical physics.

In Truth, even in most countries its never enough. So what they do is universities needing academic doctors and professors are allowed to employed those already working on a temporary basis (visiting or sabbatical ). This is what help many universities to graduate Masters and PHD students and even B.Sc in some cases.

NOW IPPIS dose not take things like that and more into consideration. So imagine the consequences. It is bad for both the lecturers and students.

PS: For those that will read this and quote me senselessly, I no longer reply senseless or abusive quotes.
You are knowledgeable. Most people don't know Universities are centres of knowledge exchange, ideas, learning, research and innovation. Before they turn Nigerian Universities to LEA primary schools, they should as well check how universities are run in different parts of the world.

2 Likes

Re: Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session by sureEbh: 7:10am On Oct 13, 2020
Sirmwill:
ASUU knows that they can be ended like SARS if all students should decide to run mad small... grin

#EndASUU... cheesy

Not true. They are both different. One is killing people unjustly. While the other is fighting for a conducive environment to train people so that they are not like the other. So you get the point now I guess.
Re: Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session by zunnurain33(m): 7:57am On Oct 13, 2020
#ENDASUUNOW!
Re: Strike: ASUU, Senate Leadership In Closed Door Session by kudinkarfe: 8:35am On Oct 13, 2020
muykem:
ASUU is afraid because there's corruption in the system. NASSU is regretting why they join IPPIS.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Akeredolu Orders Recitation Of Oodua Anthem In Schools / Uniben- Postgraduate School Fees For Each Faculties And Application Procedure / Men Accused Of Writing Exams For Girlfriends-Daily Trust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.