Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff (19025 Views)

IKEDC Prepaid Meter (MOJEC): How To Solve “REJECT” Token Issues. / Paternity Fraud: Now Is The Appropriate Time To Criminalize This Fraudulent Act / How Would You Solve This Kind Of Issue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Kemmy210(f): 12:48pm On Oct 13, 2020
Good afternoon nairalanders,
A nairalander here, Glaciered sent 21k plus to me on Thursday through Western Union (when I requested for help).I was waiting for the money in my account when she told me about the transaction but later on Friday,I decided to check Google to know how Western Union works.
I read that i should go to the nearest agent, from the ones listed, Union Bank is the closest so I decided to go there on Monday morning because it was already late that Friday.
Note:My helper want to remain anonymous, when I ask if they asked for sender's name, she said I should tell them to call her.
So when I got to the bank, Western Union section on Monday morning (yesterday),I was given a slip to fill, unfortunately, sender's name was even the first. I filled others,gave the guy the slip and explained that my sender want to remain anonymous,that they should call her.He looked at the slip like twice or thrice,then returned it to me that they can't pay without the sender's name.
I do track the money on their website which they always say that the money is ready for pickup.
Yesterday night/midnight,I decided to track the money,to my surprise,it has been received.
Definitely,the guy that attended to me in the bank has crammed the mtcn code ,then remove the money.I went to see the manager this morning,after explaining to her,she took me to the guy,he confirmed that he attended to me but didn't cram the number.
They all said I should tell the sender to call Western Union to know the POP(point of payment).Will that solve the issue,will that return the money.
Please is there anyone who can put me through on how to go about it?How can the status says the money is ready for pickup before going to the bank,and after that,it says the money has been received.
I need help to solve this issue please.

cc: Glaciered
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Jojopikin85: 1:16pm On Oct 13, 2020
Kemmy210:
A nairalander here, Glaciered sent 21k plus to me on Thursday through Western Union (when I requested for help).I was waiting for the money in my account when she told me about the transaction but later on Friday,I decided to check Google to know how Western Union works.
I read that i should go to the nearest agent, from the ones listed, Union Bank is the closest so I decided to go there on Monday morning because it was already late that Friday.
Note:My helper wants to remain anonymous, when I ask if they asked for sender's name, she said I should tell them to call her,that since she has been sending money, nobody requested for her name.
So when I got to the bank, Western Union section on Monday morning (yesterday),I was given a slip to fill, unfortunately, sender's name was even the first. I filled others,gave the guy the slip and explained that my sender want to remain anonymous,that they should call her.He looked at the slip like twice or thrice,then returned it to me that they can't pay without the sender's name.
I do track the money on their website which they always say that the money is ready for pickup.
Yesterday night/midnight,I decided to track the money,to my surprise,it has been received. I even sent mail to the sender maybe she was tired of my numerous mail,that's why she sent the code to another person to collect,she said no.
Definitely,the guy that attended to me in the bank has crammed the mtcn code ,then remove the money.I went to see the manager this morning,after explaining to her,she took me to the guy,he confirmed that he attended to me but didn't cram the number.
They all said I should tell the sender to call Western Union to know the POP(point of payment).Will that solve the issue,will that return the money.
Please is there anyone who can put me through on how to go about it?How can the status says the money is ready for pickup before going to the bank,and after that,it says the money has been received.

just do as they say simple.

2 Likes

Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by We4all: 1:54pm On Oct 13, 2020
Your benefactor tried, but next time if anyone wants to remain an 'anonymous giver', then he should go the crypto way. I don't know about now, but in the past, there is no way that WU will release funds without the sender's details.

Update the sender and let her put a call across to WU to know who actually picked up the funds. By the way, I hope you're aware that people fake WU tracking number these days.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by CaptMarvel(m): 2:52pm On Oct 13, 2020
She should have send the money directly to your bank account rather than western union, Bitcoin is fine though luno will be great in that aspect just email address and you'll receive the money but with WU of course her details will be asked for.
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 13, 2020
It's really hard to help people these days. You said you needed help with 12k. I sent you 21 k (+) naira. I drove an hour away just to get to the western union. I got home late at night, sent you the receipt for proof, which has all the information you need to get the money, and also wrote the MTCN # for you in the email (albeit it's on the receipt). Today you're saying the money has been received (and the online tracker shows it has and I was happy to see you finally got it) only for you to say it wasn't you who did, smh. Nigerians, na wa ooo.

Receipt removed.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Kemmy210(f): 3:02pm On Oct 13, 2020
Jojopikin85:
just do as they say simple.
Thanks
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Kemmy210(f): 3:03pm On Oct 13, 2020
Glaciered:
It's really hard to help people these days. You said you needed help with 12k. I sent you 21 k (+) naira. I drove an hour away just to get to the western union. I got home late at night, sent you the receipt for proof, which has all the information you need to get the money, and also wrote the MTCN # for you in the email (albeit it's on the receipt). Today you're saying the money has been received (and the online tracker shows it has and I was happy to see you finally got it) only for you to say it wasn't you who did, smh. Nigerians, na wa ooo.
Hmmmmm,it is well
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by CaptMarvel(m): 3:04pm On Oct 13, 2020
Glaciered:
it's well, you tried your best.
I sent you a pm kindly avail me.
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Kemmy210(f): 3:06pm On Oct 13, 2020
CaptMarvel:
She should have send the money directly to your bank account rather than western union, Bitcoin is fine though luno will be great in that aspect just email address and you'll receive the money but with WU of course her details will be asked for.
Thanks,she has used one before but due to the information that I provided initially which doesn't tally,they cancelled the transaction,she used Western Union the second time.
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by CaptMarvel(m): 3:11pm On Oct 13, 2020
Kemmy210:

Thanks,she has used one before but due to the information that I provided initially which doesn't tally,they cancelled the transaction,she used Western Union the second time.
ouch! Not good! You should have been more careful about it, not many people find helpers like this. You're just lucky to have her helped you and we can only hope you'll be able to get the fund.

1 Like

Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Kemmy210(f): 3:13pm On Oct 13, 2020
CaptMarvel:
ouch! Not good! You should have been more careful about it, not many people find helpers like this. You're just lucky to have her helped you and we can only hope you'll be able to get the fund.
She has over try for me, helping me to find way to even get it before going to bank. Thanks to her, thanks to her, thanks to her
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Kemmy210(f): 3:23pm On Oct 13, 2020
We4all:
Your benefactor tried, but next time if anyone wants to remain an 'anonymous giver', then he should go the crypto way. I don't know about now, but in the past, there is no way that WU will release funds without the sender's details.

Update the sender and let her put a call across to WU to know who actually picked up the funds. By the way, I hope you're aware that people fake WU tracking number these days.
Thanks,she has sent through another medium before but due to my own carelessness,they cancelled the transaction.So she sent through Western Union the second time.All thanks to her
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by shrekandfiona: 3:30pm On Oct 13, 2020
I hardly comment on this forum but so sorry for all you had to go through to help a total stranger.

However, for your next international transfers, use "World Remit". Easier and faster. Cheers.

[quotwwwe author=Glaciered post=94901236]It's really hard to help people these days. You said you needed help with 12k. I sent you 21 k (+) naira. I drove an hour away just to get to the western union. I got home late at night, sent you the receipt for proof, which has all the information you need to get the money, and also wrote the MTCN # for you in the email (albeit it's on the receipt). Today you're saying the money has been received (and the online tracker shows it has and I was happy to see you finally got it) only for you to say it wasn't you who did, smh. Nigerians, na wa ooo.
[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Chapter1vs6(m): 12:11am On Oct 14, 2020
Kemmy210:
he is the one that definitely stole the mtcn. and he wouldn't have been sloppy to have collected it himself, he would have given another person to do the dirty job for him because he knows it could be traced back to him
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Kemmy210(f): 6:19am On Oct 14, 2020
Chapter1vs6:
he is the one that definitely stole the mtcn. and he wouldn't have been sloppy to have collected it himself, he would have given another person to do the dirty job for him because he knows it could be traced back to him
This is exactly my fear because I didn't reveal the mtcn to someone else except when I used it to track the money on their website.My sender has called the Western Union but they are yet to pick.My regret is,I have troubled her enough. thanks
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Nobody: 10:55pm On Oct 14, 2020
I went to the WU this morning and was told:
the money has been received by the receiver - OP,
that any issue with the money now should be taken up by the bank 'cos
the point of payment is the bank/at the bank in Nigeria.

He called WU's main line in front of me and they also said the same thing:
the money has been received by the receiver, and
any problem should be investigated there where it was received - there.

I'm just perplexed about this whole thing. It's not even the money ('cos I'm a boss babe) but the dishonesty or theft/scam (if the bank staff did indeed steal it). For all I know, OP could be telling story that she didn't receive it and could've gotten it. There's no way for me to ascertain the truth. I know I was feeling generous that night and contemplated sending her $200 but I'm so glad I didn't 'cos if the bank staff is indeed behind the theft, he would've pocketed that much. I've learned my lesson: Nigerians are scammers and thiefs and I won't be helping anyone from Nairaland ever again.

3 Likes

Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Chapter1vs6(m): 11:20pm On Oct 14, 2020
Glaciered:
that any issue with the money now should be taken up by the bank because

I've learned my lesson: Nigerians are scammers and thiefs and I won't be helping anyone from Nairaland ever again.
Sorry for your experience. Not all Nigerians are thieves and Scammers.

don't let this stop you from helping if at all you Spirit leads you to help.

I hope the money is traced to whoever received it.
some Nigerians are honest.
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by oluplus(m): 11:26pm On Oct 14, 2020
There's what we call force payment. Force payment will apply when an operator (bank staff in this case) views a western union transaction but unable to pay it out due to incorrect info provided by the beneficiary. . The funds should not be made available for payment again. Force payment simply means fund will be sent back to the originator so nobody can access it. It is expected that the sender should resend when the beneficiary now has the correct info about the transfer.
This is to protect the operator in case of dispute (your case is a perfect example).

So pls go back and ask if they returned the money when you didn't supply the sender's name. If they did not, they have a case to answer.

2 Likes

Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Chapter1vs6(m): 11:26pm On Oct 14, 2020
Kemmy210:

This is exactly my fear because I didn't reveal the mtcn to someone else except when I used it to track the money on their website.My sender has called the Western Union but they are yet to pick.My regret is,I have troubled her enough. thanks
your last seen online is 7:41 what's the update from the bank?
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Chapter1vs6(m): 11:29pm On Oct 14, 2020
oluplus:
).

So pls go back and ask if they returned the money when you didn't supply the sender's name. If they did not, they have a case to answer.

she said she went this morning and the money has been received. definitely it was paid out even without the complete information provided by the OP
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by oluplus(m): 11:36pm On Oct 14, 2020
Chapter1vs6:
she said she went this morning and the money has been received. definitely it was paid out without even the complete information provided by the OP
Something is not right. The branch can contact the W/U dept in head office to check the Payment terminal. It will show the office(bank or any other W/U payment point), location, date, time and the ID of the operator that paid.
If the branch is guilty, then won't do it.

Op can write directly to their head office.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Nobody: 12:48am On Oct 15, 2020
shrekandfiona:
I hardly comment on this forum but so sorry for all you had to go through to help a total stranger.

However, for your next international transfers, use "World Remit". Easier and faster. Cheers.
Thanks, I've just downloaded World Remit's app and will use it next time. I've used WU before without any qualms. This is the first time something like this has happened. But I'll give WR a try next time. Thank you!

Chapter1vs6:
Sorry for your experience. Not all Nigerians are thieves and Scammers.

don't let this stop you from helping if at all you Spirit leads you to help.

I hope the money is traced to whoever received it.
some Nigerians are honest.
It's not a good feeling sending money to someone and the person claims they didn't get it, and overall me not knowing whose hands it fell into. I hope so too, but from the look of things the bank isn't going to investigate, which is a damn shame on them that theft can occur on their premises and they won't look into it. The WU said they cannot do anything from here 'cos according to their system the money has been received and whatever issue exists now has nothing to do with them or me. If the bank staff did redirect it to his account or whatever method he used in stealing it, they cannot do anything about that since it occurred in Nigeria and it's the bank there who needs to deal with the matter.
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Acrobatics01: 2:18am On Oct 15, 2020
op, are you sure it wasn't you that picked the money? Like very sure?
If you really sure you didn't pick the money, then you will get it. The money is small to engage police or the rest cos they will charge you so if really u mean that the cashier took your own money, then the cashier will go in for it.
They will give you details of when the cash was picked up and the branch that paid. The bank should show you the cctv footage.
Tell the manager all these if he isn't responding, tell him you're sending email to the HQ.

Carry us along a u do this. I'm interested in this case. Nigeria has gone past this sh*t.

4 Likes

Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by signature2012(m): 4:28am On Oct 15, 2020
Glaciered:
Thanks, I've just downloaded World Remit's app and will use it them next time. I've used WU before without any qualms. This is the first time something like this has happened. But I'll give WR a try next time. Thank you!

It's not a good feeling sending money to someone and the person claims they didn't get it, and overall me not knowing whose hands it fell into. I hope so too, but from the look of things the bank isn't going to investigate, which is a damn shame on them that theft can occur on their premises and they won't look into it. The WU said they cannot do anything from here 'cos according to their system the money has been received and whatever issue exists now has nothing to do with them or me. If the bank staff did redirect it to his account or whatever method he used in stealing it, they cannot do anything about that since it occurred in Nigeria and it's the bank there who needs to deal with the matter.

I can imagine how you feel.Nigerian banks are total disgrace when it comes to investigating cases like this.
I have a feeling the said bank worker might have sent the MTCN to someone and the person picks up the money another branch/bank.

Next time,either use World Remit or Boss Revolution.They are both very easy to send money from the States.The fund goes directly into the receiver Naija account without any 3rd party involvement.

@kemmy210,next time to need to wise up.Though I cant categorically say you got the money or not.
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by signature2012(m): 4:31am On Oct 15, 2020
Acrobatics01:
op, are you sure it wasn't you that picked the money? Like very sure?
If you really sure you didn't pick the money, then you will get it. The money is small to engage police or the rest cos they will charge you so if really u mean that the cashier took your own money, then the cashier will go in for it.
They will give you details of when the cash was picked up and the branch that paid. The bank should show you the cctv footage.
Tell the manager all these if he isn't responding, tell him you're sending email to the HQ.

Carry us along a u do this. I'm interested in this case. Nigeria has gone past this sh*t.

@kemmy210,if truly you did not pick the money,go to the bank tomorrow and cause a big scene.Do correct madness o.Tell the so called Manager you will be writing the HQ and copy EFCC.Also,you will be calling them out on Twitter.
They will fish out who picked the money,the bank or branch and the name that was used to pick the fund.

4 Likes

Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Femsyn(m): 4:58am On Oct 15, 2020
Glaciered:

I'm just perplexed about this whole thing. It's not even the money ('cos I'm a boss babe) but the dishonesty or theft/scam (if the bank staff did indeed steal it). For all I know, OP could be telling story that she didn't receive it and could've gotten it. There's no way for me to ascertain the truth. I know I was feeling generous that night and contemplated sending her $200 but I'm so glad I didn't 'cos if the bank staff is indeed behind the theft, he would've pocketed that much. I've learned my lesson: Nigerians are scammers and thiefs and I won't be helping anyone from Nairaland ever again.

In as much as the help is appreciated, calling Nigerians scammers and thieves is completely out of line. Also, note that, it's your prerogative to stop helping on nairaland, but that will never stop others from helping sincere people in need.

Pele o, bosslady.

Back to topic, this is the easiest case to unravel. Go to the bank, make a scene. The documents used in processing the funds must be provided.

14 Likes

Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by DESAN(f): 5:01am On Oct 15, 2020
Kemmy210:
Note:My helper wants to remain anonymous, when I ask if they asked for sender's name, she said I should tell them to call her.
Yesterday night/midnight,I decided to track the money,to my surprise,it has been received.

Am sure the cashier sent the info to someone else to fake an ID so as to collect the money in another branch simple.
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by andyanders: 5:35am On Oct 15, 2020
DESAN:

Am sure the cashier sent the info to someone else to fake an ID so as to collect the money in another branch simple.
Right on point. It will not take them more than 30 mins to make an id of the reciever and picked d money. Another thing, stop tracking money western un site. Hackers do hack details 2ru it. Rcv through ur a/c. Best option. Banks will tell u to get bck to sender to call wu there. Na d bank guy collect d mny.
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Chapter1vs6(m): 6:40am On Oct 15, 2020
andyanders:
Right on point. It will not take them more than 30 mins to make an id of the reciever and picked d money. Another thing, stop tracking money western un site. Hackers do hack details 2ru it. Rcv through ur a/c. Best option. Banks will tell u to get bck to sender to call wu there. Na d bank guy collect d mny.
this is not the issue of hackers. read the OP first post.

she didn't provide the name of the sender. so what name was used to collect the money by whoever withdrew the funds? Whoever withdrew the funds must have had access to the name of the sender or else the person that paid out the money will be held responsible.
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by seborrhic: 9:36am On Oct 15, 2020
Why would a bank staff jeopardize his job over 21k when he knows it's very easy these days to detect a fraudulent transaction.
I am suspecting the op collected the money and is here telling stories.
Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by missyojo(f): 10:01am On Oct 15, 2020
Glaciered:

Madam Boss babe, point of correction. Not all Nigerians are scammers and Thief's, there are still honest people amongst us who have integrity.

I am really interested in this case to know what the outcome will be.

3 Likes

Re: How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff by Kemmy210(f): 10:02am On Oct 15, 2020
signature2012:

@kemmy210,if truly you did not pick the money,go to the bank tomorrow and cause a big scene.Do correct madness o.Tell the so called Manager you will be writing the HQ and copy EFCC.Also,you will be calling them out on Twitter.
They will fish out who picked the money,the bank or branch and the name that was used to pick the fund.
My sender drove to the Western Union office again where they confirmed that it was received at the bank where I went to.I don't want to go alone,do am waiting for my sister now,we would go there in the next 5mins.They would see the real madness.
The guy left his seat when he saw me with the manager,what does that mean?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia / Terminating A Six Month Pregnancy / Man Hails Wife For Cooking For Him A Day After Returning From Child Birth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.