Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

The Tea Thread - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Tea Thread (13896 Views)

How Do You Like Your Bread And Tea / "Ovaltine" Had A Sorghum-like Particles Residued On The Bottom Of The Tea Glass. / Dipping Bread In Tea: Good Or Bad Habit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Tea Thread by AjanleKoko: 12:18am On Mar 07, 2011
Do you like tea? Not just Lipton. I'm a habitual tea drinker, and have been so for most of my life.
I drink all kinds of tea all day, green tea, Earl Grey, Chai, Ceylon, Darjeeling, Arabian tea, even the various fruity flavours from Twinings and similar manufacturers.
Even the popular local brands like Lipton, Tetleys, etc. Not that there are so many local makers of tea in Nigeria. But if you like tea, come on in, and let's discuss tea. Or coffee if you like. Even if you're a Starbucks junkie and like to get your expressos and lattes on, all join.

Even as I write this, I'm sipping Echinacea with raspberry infusion.

1 Like

Re: The Tea Thread by Nobody: 12:36am On Mar 07, 2011
What a surprise! Male tea aficionado. Have you tried Rooibos? Awesome flavour, I detest English Breakfast, tastes like pond water. I hardly drink the fruit infusions cause it doesn't taste right with sugar and I have a sweet tooth. 

Green tea & Peppermint is also awesome, I manage to drink it without sugar.

1 Like

Re: The Tea Thread by AjanleKoko: 12:55am On Mar 07, 2011
^^
There is an African variant of Rooibos, with strawberry and vanilla from Twinings, that's not bad. For te fruity flavours, I like cranberry, elderflower, and echinacea.
I'm not so keen on the fruit infusions as well. I don't use sugar with tea at all, but recently I have been using Nutri C (sweet orange) to flavour the fruity flavours and it has been spendid, better than sugar.
I'm more into the antioxidants, green tea with lemon, the Chinese oolong and jasmine. I like the heavy spices as well, Darjeeling, Ceylon, chai.

I actually got my tea leanings from my mother. She practically raised all of us on tea, and it just stuck with me. I don't even ingest any type of juice or soft drink. I drink at least 3 or 4 flasks at work, and at home I have a mug with every meal, even on extremely hot days grin

1 Like

Re: The Tea Thread by Nobody: 1:02am On Mar 07, 2011
The day I'll manage to stop drinking juice is yet to come, as for drinking tea on hot days, let's just say I tried it once and it wasn't the most pleasant experience.

1 Like

Re: The Tea Thread by Brite02(m): 1:13am On Mar 07, 2011
@OP. I luv tea, i cn drink anytym of d day but on a serious note am d adventurious type trying different kinds of tea bags. I stick d1s i knw.
Shikena. . 10/10

1 Like

Re: The Tea Thread by obowunmi(m): 4:42am On Mar 07, 2011
Ajanlekoko, I love your posts: have u tried hibiscus tea ?
Re: The Tea Thread by InkedNerd(f): 8:05am On Mar 07, 2011
@OP: Omg, I think you may be my tea boyfriend!!! lol. I love tea as well. I drink it all day long. Even when I'm out in public I buy tea constantly or brew a huge cup and take iv with me and refill it at a cafe when I'm out. Have you ever heard of Republic of  Tea? Vhey have a great selection of teas. I drink my tea without milk or sugar--how do you drink yours?
Re: The Tea Thread by AjanleKoko: 8:56am On Mar 07, 2011
obowunmi:

Ajanlekoko, I love your posts: have u tried hibiscus tea ?

Inked_Nerd:

@OP: . Have you ever heard of Republic of  Tea? Vhey have a great selection of teas. I drink my tea without milk or sugar--how do you drink yours?   

Republic of Tea, yes. They're like the American Twinings, but I think they're more recent, maybe even in the last 20 years or so. They sell premium tea, herbal teas, and some of the popular Asian flavours. I have never bought tea from them unfortunately, cos I don't live in the US.

And yes, I have tried hibiscus, the Twinings Rosehip and Hibiscus. Very good if you're combating cholesterol and HBP. My mom always takes that, and green tea as well.
For tea lovers in Nigeria, there is a great selection of teas right now, if you go to any supermarket. Lots of natural caffeine-free flavours, and even Lipton has started to market their own infusions in Nigeria.
Re: The Tea Thread by Nobody: 9:28am On Mar 07, 2011
mainly iced tea, though it's high on calories.

green tea is also good, as are some of the fruit flavoured ones [arizona, etc].

i prefer all with lemon.

no milk and minimal sugar.
Re: The Tea Thread by InkedNerd(f): 10:25am On Mar 07, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Republic of Tea, yes. They're like the American Twinings, but I think they're more recent, maybe even in the last 20 years or so. They sell premium tea, herbal teas, and some of the popular Asian flavours. I have never bought tea from them unfortunately, cos I don't live in the US.

And yes, I have tried hibiscus, the Twinings Rosehip and Hibiscus. Very good if you're combating cholesterol and HBP. My mom always takes that, and green tea as well.
For tea lovers in Nigeria, there is a great selection of teas right now, if you go to any supermarket. Lots of natural caffeine-free flavours, and even Lipton has started to market their own infusions in Nigeria.

Their teas are lovely. You can check out the website and see if they ship to Nigeria. Every time I travel outside of the US, one of the things I like to do is drink/taste tea from the country I'm visiting. Another nice tea company is Art of Tea. What's your favorite tea or tea company [if you have one]?
Re: The Tea Thread by AjanleKoko: 12:23pm On Mar 07, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Their teas are lovely. You can check out the website and see if they ship to Nigeria. Every time I travel outside of the US, one of the things I like to do is drink/taste tea from the country I'm visiting. Another nice tea company is Art of Tea. What's your favorite tea or tea company [if you have one]?

Hmm, I feel you. Last year I experienced a tea ceremony in Shanghai, in the old city. Very enlightening.
Also sampled traditional tea in Marrakesh, Cairo, Dubai, and Hyderabad.
My fav tea company is Twinings, they have a very rich portfolio, and are very affordable. They also have a wide distribution. My favourite tea is oolong, but I tend to take more of green tea, with lemon and ginger.
Re: The Tea Thread by InkedNerd(f): 4:44pm On Mar 07, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Hmm, I feel you. Last year I experienced a tea ceremony in Shanghai, in the old city. Very enlightening.
Also sampled traditional tea in Marrakesh, Cairo, Dubai, and Hyderabad.
My fav tea company is Twinings, they have a very rich portfolio, and are very affordable. They also have a wide distribution. My favourite tea is oolong, but I tend to take more of green tea, with lemon and ginger.

Oh my, I'm impressed. If you're ever in New York, you should check out Urasenke Chanoyu Center of New York. They have such a beautiful tea ceremony when you go there. Its absolutely lovely there. You can really feel their love and passion for tea. The place has such a calming atmosphere when you walk in. Some people in New York don't even realize that such a place exists.
Re: The Tea Thread by Fhemmmy: 6:12pm On Mar 07, 2011
I tried some Kenyan tea and since then . . . . I am hooked and stopped drinking coffee
Re: The Tea Thread by AjanleKoko: 10:05am On Mar 08, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Oh my, I'm impressed. If you're ever in New York, you should check out Urasenke Chanoyu Center of New York. They have such a beautiful tea ceremony when you go there. Its absolutely lovely there. You can really feel their love and passion for tea. The place has such a calming atmosphere when you walk in. Som people in New York don't even realize that such a place exists.

Just googled them. Japanese tea house. I'll definitely put them on my itinerary.

Let's try something today. Tell us what tea you're having today, or have had, what's the flavour?

Right now I am having a mug of green tea, with lemon and ginger infusion, flavoured with Nutri C (my personal additive).
Usually I have the green or oolong tea in the mornings, take the fruity flavours in the afternoon, and take something relaxing (could be rooibos, eucalyptus, camillomine) after dinner. That's my normal daily routine. I don't use milk or sugar, only honey or sometimes zero-calorie sweeteners.

Recently I started using Nutri C orange flavour to blend my tea. For those not in Nigeria it's a non-fizzy powder drink that comes in different flavours.
Re: The Tea Thread by InkedNerd(f): 10:44am On Mar 08, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Just googled them. Japanese tea house. I'll definitely put them on my itinerary.

Let's try something today. Tell us what tea you're having today, or have had, what's the flavour?

Right now I am having a mug of green tea, with lemon and ginger infusion, flavoured with Nutri C (my personal additive).
Usually I have the green or oolong tea in the mornings, take the fruity flavours in the afternoon, and take something relaxing (could be rooibos, eucalyptus, camillomine) after dinner. That's my normal daily routine. I don't use milk or sugar, only honey or sometimes zero-calorie sweeteners.

Recently I started using Nutri C orange flavour to blend my tea. For those not in Nigeria it's a non-fizzy powder drink that comes in different flavours.

I'm sure you'll like it at the Urasenke Chanoyu Center. I know I did. Yesterday, I had some organic chai tea that was infused with vanilla and cinnamon. Today, I'll start my day off with black tea. I'll get some other types of tea at the cafe in my school on my way to class.
Re: The Tea Thread by Brite02(m): 11:39am On Mar 08, 2011
@OP & NERD.
Hw cn 1 get dz special/rare tea delicacies in south south & southeast part of nigeria?. . . I got 2 try sumfin dfferent
Re: The Tea Thread by AjanleKoko: 12:27pm On Mar 08, 2011
Brite02:

@OP & NERD.
Hw cn 1 get dz special/rare tea delicacies in south south & southeast part of nigeria?. . . I got 2 try sumfin dfferent

Let me give you one little 'assignment'.
Just head for your local supermarket and ask them to show you all the teas on display.
Write all of them down, come back and post here. You'll find that there are a lot of interesting teas in Nigeria as well.

@Topic,
There seem to be a rash of junk teas in Nigeria. You go to any supermarket and you see 'Slim Tea', 'tummy reducing tea', 'anti-malaria tea', etc. Apart from the names, everything else is in Chinese, and you can't identify any ingredients.

1 Like

Re: The Tea Thread by Brite02(m): 12:53pm On Mar 08, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Let me give you one little 'assignment'.
Just head for your local supermarket and ask them to show you all the teas on display.
Write all of them down, come back and post here. You'll find that there are a lot of interesting teas in Nigeria as well.

@Topic,
There seem to be a rash of junk teas in Nigeria. You go to any supermarket and you see 'Slim Tea', 'tummy reducing tea', 'anti-malaria tea', etc. Apart from the names, everything else is in Chinese, and you can't identify any ingredients.

Thatz tru, i'l kp u posted. There was wen i had d opportunity of joining TIANSHI(chinese firm) abt 5yrs ago i neva took it seriously. In one of dia bks wia various products & prices were tag i saw kinds of tea rangin 4rm slim tea & d rest(cant remember). My problem then was i neva had d tym 4 sellin, talk of buyin dia tianshi products. But then i'l try to enquire on 1 or 2 abt dia tea 4rm a frnd.
Re: The Tea Thread by InkedNerd(f): 4:57pm On Mar 08, 2011
Brite02:

@OP & NERD.

Hmmm, I honestly don't know where you could buy these teas. All I can offer if that you check certain tea companies online and see if they ship to Nigeria. I would imagine that it would costly though undecided. Anyway, I think you should go with what AjanleKoko suggested.
Re: The Tea Thread by greenpea: 5:04pm On Mar 11, 2011
@ Ajanlekoko, stop adding nutri C, it neutralises the naturalness or do i say the Teaness of the drink.

@ Op, I love tea too, presently staring at Lipton Green Tea Super Fruit (White mangosteen and Peach) Lipton Green Tea (orange,passion fruit & Jasmine flavor) Twinning Raspberry, strawberry and Logan berry& Twinnings Lemon Flavor on my office shelf.
I always get to infuse interchangably the different bags (2 in a cup) and i steer clear of sugar but i use honey and no milk.

A colleague of mine take this highly aromatic coffee (said it is coffee & Ginseng) the aroma is something else!very lovely, promise to look it up when next i go shopping.

Thanks for this thread, Inked Nerd and Ajanlekoko are both taking my tea drinking habit to another level thanks Y'all!
Re: The Tea Thread by InkedNerd(f): 7:06am On Mar 12, 2011
Here are a list of tea rooms for those of you that travel to New York.

Top 8 New York City Tea Rooms:

1. Alice's Tea Cup
Alice's Tea Cup is a great child-friendly tea room choice on the Upper West Side. Excellent scones, friendly service, and a whimsical design, ensure adults will enjoy the experience as well. Menu offers a la carte selections, as well as several afternoon tea service options (available continuously). Children's choices include everything from baby food to after school snacks and child friendly sandwiches. Space available for private parties.

2. Tea & Sympathy
A visit to this Greenwich Village tea room will make you feel like you've been transplanted to Britain -- and that's just what the owners intended. From fish & chips to bangers and mashed, Tea & Sympathy offers a comprehensive taste of Britain, complete with an authentic afternoon tea. Off-site catering available.

3. Franchia
This Korean tea room creates a relaxing oasis in Manhattan. Creative vegetarian cuisine is served, reflecting a combination of Korean, Asian and Western influences. They offer tea service menus for bridal and baby showers.

4. Lady Mendl's Tea Salon
Housed in the elegant Inn at Irving Place, Lady Mendl's tea salon seeks to recreate the Victorian tea experience. Five-course high tea is served Wednesday - Sunday, by reservation. Space is available for bridal showers, private tea parties, and small weddings.

5. T Salon
Located on East 20th Street, T Salon offers a tranquil setting for enjoying tea. They also offer Proper Afternoon Tea ($32) for private parties and groups. The T Emporium offers a variety of teas for sale. They also host tea tasting classes, as well as workshops on opening tea salons.

Yaffa's Tea Room
This TriBeCa tea house offers high tea in an eclectic setting, as long as you give 24 hours notice. $20 ($25 on weekends) for tea sandwiches, pastries and your choice of over 20 teas. A la carte menu also available.

7. Podunk
This homey East Village tea room offers friendly service and a warm atmosphere for enjoying tea and scones (as well as a variety of other delicious baked goods).

teany
This Lower East Side vegan and vegetarian tea shop boasts Moby as an owner(along with partner Kate) and claims to appeal to everyone from carnivores to vegans. Afternoon tea is $14 ($26 for two), and includes tea, sandwiches and sweets. They serve beer and wine, as well as an extensive a la carte menu of everything from bagels and sandwiches to scones and cookies.
Re: The Tea Thread by Goldieluks: 12:44pm On Mar 12, 2011
i take green tea,with lemon.
Re: The Tea Thread by obowunmi(m): 12:53pm On Mar 12, 2011
@ Inked, I've never been to any of the above. Have you been to all.
Re: The Tea Thread by InkedNerd(f): 11:54pm On Mar 12, 2011
obowunmi:

@ Inked, I've never been to any of the above. Have you been to all.

No, not all but I've been to some. I have been to Alice's Tea Cup, Teany, Podunk, Yaffa's Tea Room, and Franchia.
Re: The Tea Thread by AjanleKoko: 11:48pm On Mar 17, 2011
greenpea:

@ Ajanlekoko, stop adding nutri C, it neutralises the naturalness or do i say the Teaness of the drink.

It's a recent habit. However, I found Lipton green tea with orange flavourand jasmine today. I wouldn't need Nutri C for that.
Re: The Tea Thread by obowunmi(m): 4:31am On Mar 18, 2011
Ajanlekoko, r u based in Nigeria? Also, wat do u do?
Re: The Tea Thread by Bawss1(m): 2:26pm On Mar 18, 2011
Is there room in this thread for hot chocolate lovers? Most Nigerians I assume only think of cocoa beverages when tea is mention even though they are two different things. I'm not much of a tea fan even though I really like Ginger tea, but I think a hot cup of Bournvita with plenty of milk is not a bad way to start my day. smiley
Re: The Tea Thread by AjanleKoko: 2:50pm On Mar 18, 2011
Bawss1:

Is there room in this thread for hot chocolate lovers? Most Nigerians I assume only think of cocoa beverages when tea is mention even though they are two different things. I'm not much of a tea fan even though I really like Ginger tea, but I think a hot cup of Bournvita with plenty of milk is not a bad way to start my day. smiley

Bros come on board.

obowunmi:

Ajanlekoko, r u based in Nigeria? Also, wat do u do?

For the purpose of this thread, I'm based anywhere i can find good tea. What I do is drink tea grin among other things.
Re: The Tea Thread by InkedNerd(f): 8:25am On Mar 20, 2011
@EVERYONE: Have any of you ever picked your own tea leaves to make tea?

Bawss1:

The more the merrier.
Re: The Tea Thread by obowunmi(m): 3:30pm On Mar 20, 2011
@ Bawss, I love hot cocoa as well. Bornvita and milo --- with Nido or peak milk (loads of it). Swiss miss is enjoyable as well but I feel like its got too much sodium.
Inked, what's up with you.
Re: The Tea Thread by Bawss1(m): 5:19pm On Mar 21, 2011
How about iced tea people? Because I suspect that many people don’t drink hot tea on account of our weather - unless you are a hardcore aficionado like Ajanlekoko  smiley - I think this can be a good alternative to carbonated soft drinks. I did look this up and I found that there are dozens of varieties for iced tea from the fruit flavored variety to the exotic ones like Jasmine or Chai (spiced Indian tea) served in Asian restaurants. Some can be freshly made at home while others come ready in cans and bottles just like any other soft drink. I would like to try out most of these varieties alas the ones I easily come across are the ones made by Chivita.  embarassed

Anyways, whats your take on this guys?
Re: The Tea Thread by Bawss1(m): 8:49am On Mar 22, 2011
obowunmi:

@ Bawss, I love hot cocoa as well. Bornvita and milo --- with Nido or peak milk (loads of it). Swiss miss is enjoyable as well but I feel like its got too much sodium.
Inked, what's up with you.

Nice. I guess we all love hot cocoa because thats what we all grew up on in these parts. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? / Share Your Funny Cooking Mistakes Here.... / Indomie, Chikki Or O! Noodles: Which One Tastes Best?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.