Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,496 members, 7,819,810 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

First Fruits, What Is It All About? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / First Fruits, What Is It All About? (4222 Views)

"First-Fruits": Pastors Are Planning A Major Robbery In January / Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? / Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Fruits, What Is It All About? by mayonikks: 9:57pm On Jun 24, 2007
hi guys, pls can anyone shed more light on "paying of first fruits and how many times are we meant to pay it". also what is it all about? thanks
Re: First Fruits, What Is It All About? by benit(f): 11:10am On Jun 25, 2007
The first or/and the best of your increase. Simply put if u get a new job, your first salary.
If u have a biz, ur first profit.
Re: First Fruits, What Is It All About? by mayonikks: 7:05pm On Jun 25, 2007
what of if u change Jobs, do u have to pay ur first salary from the new job?
Re: First Fruits, What Is It All About? by thesilent1(m): 12:50pm On Jun 27, 2007
first fruits - tithe grin

well, thats what i hear most sunday mornings. try saying its something different
Re: First Fruits, What Is It All About? by benit(f): 2:12pm On Jun 27, 2007
@ mayo,
Yes u give the first fruit of ur new job. Its all about separating the 'first' unto God so the rest part can be sanctified (for bible believers only). its a revelational exercise as such, u do it willingly not grudgingly or out of compulsion.
Re: First Fruits, What Is It All About? by stimulus(m): 4:47pm On Jun 27, 2007
@topic,

In trying to look into this subject in the Bible, I've come to a persuasion presently that the firstfruit is not the same thing as tithes. Even more so, I don't think the Bible makes the case in favour of the argument that firstfruit should even be about one's first salary in any job.

Nehemiah mentions tithes and firstfruit as distinct and separate issues:

"And at that time were some appointed over the chambers for the treasures, for the offerings, for the firstfruits, and for the tithes, to gather into them out of the fields of the cities the portions of the law for the priests and Levites: for Judah rejoiced for the priests and for the Levites that waited." (Neh. 12:44)

On the other hand, although I don't presently know much about the subject, it seems that the firstfruit is the best part of an offering a believer makes - something precious above all else to one who expereinces the grace of God's prosperity.

Secondly, since it does not translate into the 'first salary' of one's job, it should not be something required (or demanded) of any Christian. If someone feels led to make such an offering to honour God, we should rejoice in that act of worship and praise Him from whom the blessing comes in the first place.
Re: First Fruits, What Is It All About? by Maneater1(f): 2:39pm On Jun 28, 2007
What about giving the first salary of the year (January). is that also a way of giving first fruit. Paying tithes is quite clear, thats giving a tenth of whatever income u get and its more of a command or order by God, unlike giving offerings that is optional.

But i'm still not quite clear of this first fruit issue. do i have to give my first salary of every year as my first fruit?
Re: First Fruits, What Is It All About? by Maneater1(f): 2:40pm On Jun 28, 2007
What about giving the first salary of the year (January). is that also a way of giving first fruit. Paying tithes is quite clear, thats giving a tenth of whatever income u get and its more of a command or order by God, unlike giving offerings that is optional.

But i'm still not quite clear of this first fruit issue. do i have to give my first salary of every year as my first fruit?
Re: First Fruits, What Is It All About? by draigboje(m): 3:20pm On Jun 28, 2007
First fruit refers to whatever you get from a venture that increases you.In bible times, it could be farm produce etc,but in our time,it could be your first salary or first income.It is expected to be given to God.You are expected also to give your first-fruit offering to God every year i.e in January.You are also expected to give your first fruit offering whenever you get an increase in your salary or income (this is the amount with which your previous salary or income got increased.)If you change your job, you are expected to pay your first fruit offering of the new job which is your first salary.This is completely different from tithe.Tithe is the ten percent of your salary or income.Tithe is a continuous thing while first fruit offering could be given to God once until a change of job or an increase is visited upon your income.
Re: First Fruits, What Is It All About? by stimulus(m): 3:33pm On Jun 28, 2007
@all,

While benefitting from the various posts, may I ask: how does firstfruit translate as one's "first salary" or "first income"? Let's look at a few things here:

#1. Your firstfruit is simply your best part/portion - not necessarily your first salary or first income.

#2. Your firstfruit (if and only if you're following the precedence or example of the OT law of such offerings) does not mean that you had to give EVERYTHING that you first harvested!

Lev. 23:17 - "Ye shall bring out of your habitations two wave loaves of two tenth deals: they shall be of fine flour; they shall be baken with leaven; they are the firstfruits unto the LORD."

Num. 18:11-12 - "And this is thine; the heave offering of their gift, with all the wave offerings of the children of Israel: I have given them unto thee, and to thy sons and to thy daughters with thee, by a statute for ever: every one that is clean in thy house shall eat of it. All the best of the oil, and all the best of the wine, and of the wheat, the firstfruits of them which they shall offer unto the LORD, them have I given thee."

#3. A Christian's offering is acceptable to God because you cannot make anything more superlative when offered in the Name of Jesus Christ, Who is the perfect offering.

So, I'm still wondering where the concept of "firstfruit" being interpreteted as "first salary" was derived from.
Re: First Fruits, What Is It All About? by mayonikks: 5:05pm On Jul 17, 2007
hello guys, pls let's shed more light on this topic
thanks
cheesy
Re: First Fruits, What Is It All About? by Millena(m): 12:57pm On Dec 26, 2007
In my understanding firstfruits are not necessarily the best of your income. All our givings to God should be the best. So, our giving the best should not be a matter here for God rewards us not by quantity, but by quality (remember the widow's offering).
Firstfruits I believe is the first of your produce.It is the accrued positive difference given to us by God when He moves us to a higher position. This may be the first salary of a new job, the first profit from a contract, the first pay in a business venture. Once God blesses you with an increase, the first portion of that increase is the firstfruits of that blessing. When God moves you from level 10 to level 11, your first salary in your new level (level 11) is your firstfruit.
Many people are of the opinion that your firstfruit in that level should be the level 11 income - the level 10 income (the positive difference in income), but I disagree with the notion.
Firstfruits should be given by faith, with wisdom, for a purpose, as God directs you.
Your firstfruits of the year 2008 is your first income in the year 2008. Your firstfruits of the 3rd quarter of 2007 is your first income in the 3rd quarter of 2007.
Tithes are different from firstfruits as tithes are  10% of our income.This like any offering or sacrifice unto the Lord, is not compulsory. The decree is given by God to us not for His benefit, but for our benefit so that our blessings will be made whole. We are expected to tap into this decree for our benefit.
Proverbs 3: 9 "Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of thine inheritance"
Proverbs 3: 10 "So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thine presses burst out with new wine".
Psalm 50: 5-6 "Gather my saints unto me; those who have made a convenant to me by sacrifice. And the heavens shall declare His righteousness: for God is judge Himself".
Luke 10: 11- 19 illustrates the importance of coming back to God in thanks for his numerous blessings in our life so that the blessing will be made whole.
Sacrifices or offerings unto the Lord should be given by wisdom as we are not meant to give to satisfy humans therby leaving us with so little, hence, we suffer from lack, or by giving so little that it has no significance to our pockets and in God's eye.
2 Cor 8: 11-15 Now therefore perform the doing of it; that as there was a readiness to will, so there may be a perfomance also out of that which ye have. 12. For if there be first a willign mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not. 13. for I mean not that other men be eased and ye burdened: 14. but by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, and their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality: 15. As it is written, He that had agthered much had nothing over; and he that had gathered little had no lack*
2 Cor 8:15 was culled from Exodus 16: 18 by Paul.
Exodus 16: 18 And when they had mete it with an omer, he that gathered much had nothing over, and he that gathered little had no lack; they gathered every man according to his eating.
Re: First Fruits, What Is It All About? by dafidixone(m): 12:43pm On Jan 15, 2008
1st fruit is First income of the year.

(1) (Reply)

Justified—by Faith Or Works? / In All, The Dullest Christian Is Still Smarter Than The Smartest Athiest / Christ Apostolic Church Member :::chatbox:::

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.