Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:58 PM

Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? (42210 Views)

Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches / "First-Fruits": Pastors Are Planning A Major Robbery In January / COZA Introduces Online Payment Of Tithes, Offerings, Seeds & Pledges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 8:17pm On Feb 05, 2012
As a born again Christian I follow every word that is in the Bible, and by that I mean every word in the Bible that applies to me. And there is no where is the new testament (which is the part that applies to us becos we are not under the law of Moses but under grace) where it is stated that we should pay titheS, offering, first fruit, etc. We are only enjoined to give (to the poor, for the work of the kingdom, etc), but not necessarily to pastors or churches on a regular basis like it's a necessity.
If you disagree, pls show me anywhere in the new testament where we are directed to pay tithe or offering or first fruit.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Goshen360(m): 9:28pm On Feb 05, 2012
Same message I have been preaching. Tithes is no more required in the Christian age (new testament). Many moG are not just being truthful in these area. They teach it as a means to finance their denomination and ungodly projects. The only thing we have in Christian age is "GIVING". Giving to the poor, orphans, widows and the work of God. You can also give to a moG, if being led by the Holy Ghost. Why, they that are led by the Spirit of God are the sons of God, and not a moG begging or asking you to give to him. Clear picture of the widow of Zerephat, it was God who spoke to the widow and Elijah at the same time.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 10:11pm On Feb 05, 2012
FXKing2012:

As a born again Christian I follow every word that is in the Bible, and by that I mean every word in the Bible that applies to me. And there is no where is the new testament (which is the part that applies to us becos we are not under the law of Moses but under grace) where it is stated that we should pay titheS, offering, first fruit, etc. We are only enjoined to give (to the poor, for the work of the kingdom, etc), but not necessarily to pastors or churches on a regular basis like it's a necessity.
If you disagree, pls show me anywhere in the new testament where we are directed to pay tithe or offering or first fruit.

You have made a very good point, we need to enlighten the people so they do not get deceived.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by crossman9(m): 10:46pm On Feb 05, 2012
First fruits is in the bible and very biblical but these new church have perverted it like Christ Embassy and many more church like them, there twisting the bible to make them self’s rich
your right we are to give to the poor not to put petrol in the BMW or for the get quick rich pastors these money making preachers make me sick?

Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 1:21pm On Feb 06, 2012
@crossman, first fruit only exist in the old testament, it does not apply to us at all.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by crossman9(m): 1:42pm On Feb 06, 2012
FXKing2012
First fruit only exist in the Old Testament; it does not apply to us at all.

You are right it was not practiced in the New Testament church

it was part of the law which is written in our heart

but we are command to give to the poor take care of the needy not make the pastor rich like most of these false churches do they twist the word

Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by plappville(f): 3:06pm On Feb 06, 2012
Ephesians 4:28 Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need.

This is also telling us to give to those in need, God bless us when we give to those in most need, but if ur heart desire giving tithes do it freely. If u feel been forced, why doing it? we ought to give freely from our heart. If we are to complain of the tithe as the ol testament thing, why then are christians today no longer observe the Sabbath? didn't Jesus and his disciples observed it? why do we now have to ignore it? There are so many things to look into, not only the tithing. God bless.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 3:12pm On Feb 06, 2012
@crossman9, why do I have the feeling you have a personal vendetta against Chrisy Embassy Church?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Feb 06, 2012
FXKing2012:

[b]As a born again Christian I follow every word that is in the Bible, and by that I mean every word in the Bible that applies to me. And there is no where is the new testament (which is the part that applies to us becos we are not under the law of Moses but under grace) [/b]where it is stated that we should pay titheS, offering, first fruit, etc. We are only enjoined to give (to the poor, for the work of the kingdom, etc), but not necessarily to pastors or churches on a regular basis like it's a necessity.

Note to you: The bible is not divided into the Law of Moses and the New Testament
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Goshen360(m): 3:41pm On Feb 06, 2012
^^^ We have dispensations and ages time in the bible. Can you please tell us how the bible is divided please?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by PastorKun(m): 3:51pm On Feb 06, 2012
@FXKing2012
But your bishop Oledepo you so much adore, rever, idolise and worship is one of the chief proponents of mandatory tithing in Nigeria. Having studied the bible your self and come to the conclusion that tithing is not applicable to the christian church, what do you make of tithe preachers of which your Oledepo is one? In my opinion such a preacher is either fraudulent or incompetent. Either way such a preacher is compromising the gospel of christ and should not be allowed to preach.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Goshen360(m): 3:53pm On Feb 06, 2012
^^^ can we chat online now pls. hit me on goshen360@yahoo.co.uk. Am online now. Thanks
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by stagger: 4:15pm On Feb 06, 2012
FXKing2012:

Your head no correct. New testament Christian indeed!

Why did you not quote the scripture where Christ said he did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it?

[b]MATTHEW 5:17

New International Version (©1984)
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
New Living Translation (©2007)
"Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose.

English Standard Version (©2001)
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

International Standard Version (©2008)
"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I didn't come to destroy them, but to fulfill them,

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
Do not think that I have come to revoke The Written Law or The Prophets; I am not come to revoke but to fulfill.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
"Don't ever think that I came to set aside Moses' Teachings or the Prophets. I didn't come to set them aside but to make them come true.
[/b]

Or are you now saying you are wiser than Christ Himself? Better go and read your bible very well. Remember God's warning in Revelation 22 verses 18 and 19. DO not make yourself a tool for the devil to deceive many.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Feb 06, 2012
It applies to christians according to how your lead by the spirit. It's a shame pastors these days only preach 'tithes and offerings', Lawd have mercy sad.

Use a blackberyy? Add me on BBM. Pin:26BE3874!! Everybody's welcome wink
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Goshen360(m): 4:26pm On Feb 06, 2012
@ stagger

So then my brother, IF CHRIST HAD ALREADY FULFILLED THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS, WHY ARE WE STILL TRYING TO KEEP THEM ONLY IN THE AREA OF TITHES?. From your statement, Jesus was still talking and was physically alive at the time He was saying this. Now, He had already fulfilled the Law and the Prophets. With all sense of humility, I humbly say you dont understand what the verse you quoted meant but if you dont mind, I will explain using scriptures to explain scriptures.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Feb 06, 2012
FXKing2012:

When was nairaland ordained the right place to ask such question of yours?

Have you ever seen non-christian faithfuls coming to a social forum to express their doubts about whatever religious doctrine they aren't satisfied with, if it has to be, then its a forum designed by their religious outfits?

Go to your pastor if you aren't ok with that, please Google it for online reference from world class Christians around the world!

Save your time from this generation of viper, The Bible is not their mate for the least argument!
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 4:45pm On Feb 06, 2012
phxc:

Note to you: The bible is not divided into the Law of Moses and the New Testament

goshen360:

^^^ We have dispensations and ages time in the bible. Can you please tell us how the bible is divided please?

Yes the Bible is not divided and I never said it was. But you need to know what applies to us and what doesnt. Even apostle Paul said the old testament was written for our learning.
If you think everything in the old testament applies to us then why dont you practice the laws of Moses since they are in the Bible (Lev 19), why do u shave ur head and beards since it's against the law as written in Lev chapter 19, why dont you still engage in plant/animal sacrifices to God just like Abel, Solomon, Noah, etc did.

Pastor Kun:

@FXKing2012
But your bishop Oledepo you so much adore, rever, idolise and worship is one of the chief proponents of mandatory tithing in Nigeria. Having studied the bible your self and come to the conclusion that tithing is not applicable to the christian church, what do you make of tithe preachers of which your Oledepo is one? In my opinion such a preacher is either fraudulent or incompetent. Either way such a preacher is compromising the gospel of christ and should not be allowed to preach.

Pls dont say what is not, I do not even attend Winners Chapel. I'm just not the type to criticize a man of God cos it's not for me to judge; judgement belongs to God.

goshen360:

^^^ can we chat online now pls. hit me on goshen360@yahoo.co.uk. Am online now. Thanks
I've added u.

stagger:

Your head no correct. New testament Christian indeed!

Why did you not quote the scripture where Christ said he did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it?

[b]MATTHEW 5:17

New International Version (©1984)
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
New Living Translation (©2007)
"Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose.

English Standard Version (©2001)
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

International Standard Version (©2008)
"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I didn't come to destroy them, but to fulfill them,

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
Do not think that I have come to revoke The Written Law or The Prophets; I am not come to revoke but to fulfill.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
"Don't ever think that I came to set aside Moses' Teachings or the Prophets. I didn't come to set them aside but to make them come true.
[/b]

Or are you now saying you are wiser than Christ Himself? Better go and read your bible very well. Remember God's warning in Revelation 22 verses 18 and 19. DO not make yourself a tool for the devil to deceive many.

This goes to show your level of Bible knowledge. Now let me enlighten you: Jesus came to fulfill the scripture/prophesy. There are prophesies in the Book of Kings (1Kings, 2Kings, etc) about the coming of Jesus and how He will safe His people from destruction as well as His death and resurrection. There were prophesies about the things He will do while in the world and the things that will happen to Him.
Those were the prophesies Jesus came to fulfill.
Now where does Jesus mention anything about tithes or offerings all thru His sojourn here on earth. Even apostle Paul never solicited for money from any of the churches he founded. Despite his very busy schedule (trekking from city to city establishing churches), he still had a day job as a tent maker which goes to tell me any pastor without a day job is wrong in that respect - that does not mean the pastor is fake o.

I understand if people find it hard to swallow this cos they (including myself) have been indoctrinated/brain-washed for so long that it is so hard to reason outside what you've been taught all your life.
Pls put sentiments apart and base your points on what is in the Bible.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by highland(m): 4:50pm On Feb 06, 2012
It is for us and that is why it is in the bible. Everything about God is for his people and no one ease.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Goshen360(m): 4:56pm On Feb 06, 2012
@ FXKing2012,

Am online on yahoo, can we chat now. Just send me a message,ok Thanks.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 4:57pm On Feb 06, 2012
highland:

It is for us and that is why it is in the bible. Everything about God is for his people and no one ease.

If everything in the Bible applies to us then why dont you engage in animal sacrifices to God just like Solomon, Noah, etc did. Why dont you still practice the laws of Moses such as not carving your head and not shaving your beards.
Problem is most people dont even know how to read the Bible, they just ingest whatever they are told.

1 Like

Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Goshen360(m): 5:02pm On Feb 06, 2012
We are here to learn as no man is an island of knowledge. Iron sharpens Iron. These are breakdowns of the times and ages of the bible:

Gen 1 - Ex 19 (where the nation of Israel came out of Egypt) called Patriarch Age
Exodus 20 to John 21:25 called the Age of Law
Acts of the Apostle to Revelation is the Christian Age

Hebrews 1:1-2
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by kbdrim(m): 5:04pm On Feb 06, 2012
“And my people shall know the truth and the truth shall set them free” “Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse for ye have robbed me even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the store house and prove me now herewith saith the lord of hosts if I will not open the windows of heaven and pour out a blessing, that there would not be room enough to receive it.” Malachi 3 : 8 -10

The above quoted scripture is probably one of the most quoted in the bible.

Unfortunately, it is being quoted out of context and used as a weapon of mass intimidation, manipulation, extortion, oppression, cajolery and outright lies and deceit by some church leaders to collect 10 per cent of the gross income of their church members who have been hoodwinked into believing that they are doing God’s will.

Before I go into the details of this discourse, I want to state categorically that I am a God-loving, bible-believing Christian who has the fear of God in his heart. I am also not writing this article to undermine any church or pastor, but to let people realise the truth about tithes and remove the yoke placed by some pastors upon them. I also want to state categorically that I strongly believe in giving to the church for the sole purpose of propagating God’s work and the Christian ministry. I will continue to encourage all Christians to give their all to God as exemplified by the widow’s mite which Jesus Christ himself referred to in the bible.

Now, back to Malachi 3:8-10, the first question one should ask is who was this message directed at? The answer lies in the book of Numbers 18:25-28 which states that “The Lord commanded Moses to say to the Levites, when you receive from the Israelites the tithe that the Lord gives you as your possession, you must present a tenth of it as a special contribution to the Lord. This special contribution will be considered as the equivalent of the offering which the farmer makes of new grain and wine. In this way you would also present the special contribution which belongs to the Lord from all the tithes which you receive from the Israelites. You are to give this special contribution for the Lord to Aaron the priest.”

From the above, it is clear that it was the Levites that were directed to pay a tithe they collected from the Israelites to the priest who represents God and not the people of Israel. It was these Levites that were being referred to in the book of Malachi as those who rob God. A thorough study of the book of Malachi would reveal that in those days the Levites were collecting the tithe from the people of Israel and not remitting a tithe of it to the house of God, hence Malachi’s statement which is now being quoted out of context.

To understand what tithe really means one would have to understand the social reasons and cultural/religious setting within which it was situated. This concept of tithes was properly explained in the bible as stated in the laws of the tithe which can be found in the books of Leviticus 27:30-34, Numbers 18:25-31 and Deuteronomy 14:22-29. Upon reading these passages one would understand what tithes really mean, but unfortunately most pastors prefer to neglect these passages that tell us the true meaning of tithes and emphasise on Malachi 3:8-10 which was directed to the Levites of that time to remit the priest’s share of the tithes they collected to him. It is worthy of note that Malachi does not even define what tithe is and how it should be paid.

The definition of tithes, as practised today, was manufactured by modern day pastors to suit their purpose as it is completely in contrast with what is in the bible and it only seeks to manipulate Christians to believe that God requests 10 per cent of their gross income from them.

So what is tithe and why did God request that it be paid to the Levities? The answer can be found in the following passages: Leviticus 27:30-32 which states that “one tenth of the produce of the land, whether grain or fruit belongs to the Lord. If a man wishes to buy back any of it he must pay the standard price plus an additional 20 per cent. One in every ten domestic animal belongs to the Lord. When the animals are counted, every tenth one belongs to the Lord.” And Deuteronomy 26:12 which states that “every third year give the tithe, a tenth of your crops to the Levites, the foreigners, the orphans and the widows, so that in every community they will have all they need to eat.”

The above quoted passages clearly tell us what tithe is and the reason why God directed the people of Israel to pay tithes. It is very evident that it was a social arrangement for the less privileged in the Jewish society of that time. It was also meant to take care of the Levites because they had no land or property of their own (today, pastors are amongst the wealthiest property owners in Nigeria). This social arrangement is obviously not relevant to us today. It also states that every third year is the year of tithing, not the weekly/monthly tithes being extorted from church members today.

Another passage illustrates the true meaning of tithes properly and also states clearly that tithe is not money. Deuteronomy 14:22-29 says: “Set aside as tithe a tenth of all that your fields produce each year then go to the one place where the Lord your God has chosen to be worshipped and there in his presence eat the tithes of your grain, wine and olive oil and first born of your cattle and sheep. Do this so that you may learn to have reverence for the Lord your God always. If the place of worship is too far from your home for you to carry there the tithe of the produce that the Lord has blessed you with, then sell your produce and take the money with you to the one place of worship, spend it on whatever you want ,beef, lamb, wine, beer and there in the presence of the lord you and your family are to eat and enjoy yourselves. Do not neglect the Levites who live in your towns for they have no property of their own. At the end of every third year, bring the tithe of all your crops and store it in your towns. This is food for the Levites since they own no property and for the orphans, foreigners and widows who live in your towns. Do this and the lord your God would bless you in everything you do.”

From the above passage, it is very clear that tithe is not money and it is not the exclusive preserve of the Levites (church). It was a religious practice in those days to give reverence to God and to celebrate God in his place of worship. The Levites were only included for the main reason that they had no land of their own and that reason is not relevant in today’s society. Yet some pastors would tell you that you are cursed and would not go to heaven if you don’t give them 10 per cent of your gross income. All this hypocrisy would not have bothered me if all the money being collected was being used to propagate God’s work. But the truth as we all know today is that this money is being used to finance lavish, flamboyant and exotic lifestyle that is unbecoming of a man who truly claims to serve God, as a pastor who is expected to be meek and humble like our Lord Jesus Christ was.

As a concluding part to this article, I would want to refer us to the book of Hebrews, which was written to the early Christians. This provides irrefutable proof that Christians are not meant to pay tithes as the priesthood of our Lord Jesus Christ does not require it.

Hebrews 7:5, says: “And those descendants of Levites who are priests are commanded by the law to collect one tenth from the people of Israel, that is from their own countrymen even though their countrymen are also descendants of Abraham.”

From this verse, we can jump to verses 11-13 which say: “It was on the basis of the Levitical priesthood that the law was given to the people of Israel. Now, if the work of the Levitical priests had been perfect there would be no need for a different kind of priest to appear, one who is in the priestly order of Melchizedek not of Aaron. For when the priesthood is changed, there also has to be a change in the law. And our Lord of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe of Judah and Moses did not mention his tribe when he spoke of priests.”

The above passage is self-explanatory and it states clearly that the practice of tithing has no place under the priestly order of our Lord Jesus Christ. In fact, the passage suggests that the collection of tithes is belittling of the priestly order of our Lord Jesus Christ. It states that it is wrong for us as Christians to receive or pay tithes and is not relevant to us as Christians because we belong to a superior priestly order.

Once again, I would like to state that this article is not meant for us as Christians to revolt against the church or our pastors. It is just meant to establish the biblical truth about tithes and remove the yoke from people who labour to pay tithes–not required of them by God–while their pastors are living luxuriously. Today, many pastors see the church as their personal business and even fraudulent people are opening up churches so that they can have access to people’s tithes and use it for their personal comfort. I encourage all of us as Christians to remain vigilant and continue to serve God in truth and in faith to the glory of his holy name. Amen.

Another point of note is: how come out of the 613 biblical laws of Moses which were handed out to the people of Israel, it is only an adulterated version of the law of tithe that is still being practised today, apart from the Ten Commandments? How come we are no longer required to offer burnt sacrifices? How come we no longer stone people to death for sinning? The truth is that only tithing was dug out of the laws of Moses because it presents material benefits to the collectors of tithes. Given that most Christians do not study their bibles and depend on their priests to guide them through, it was easy for pastors to pick a passage in the bible (Malachi 3 : 8-10), quote it out of context and use it to manipulate the flock into parting with 10 per cent of their income. Furthermore, it is worthy of note that neither Jesus Christ nor any of the apostles ever preached about or collected tithe. In fact, in the bible, Jesus Christ only spoke about tithes in Luke 11:42 which states that: “But woe unto you Pharisees! For ye tithe mint and rue all manner of herbs, and pass over judgement and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.” Here we can see that Jesus Christ is rebuking the Pharisees for laying emphasis on tithes instead of the more important things of the spirit, like our pastors are doing today.

In Acts 15, we find outlined what the apostles all agreed was necessary for the newly converted Gentiles to practise, and by inspiration of the Holy Spirit of God, tithing is conspicuously missing. Yet, what is one of the very first legislated duties taught to Gentile converts by the Church today? It is that they must tithe their annual salaries to the Church. Where did this unscriptural law of Christian tithing come from?

Notice this telling bit of history from the Encyclopaedia Britannica (1963, volume 22, page 253, ‘TITHES’). “Tithes in Christendom—The earliest authentic example of anything like a law of the State enforcing payment appears to occur in the capitularies [Ecclesiasticals] of Charlemagne at the end of the 8th or beginning of the 9th century. Tithes were, by that enactment, to be applied to the maintenance of the bishop, clergy, the poor, and the fabric of the church. In the course of time the principle of payment of tithes was extended far beyond its original intention. Thus, they became transferable to laymen and saleable like ordinary property, despite the injunctions of the third Lateran Council; and they became payable out of sources of income [not just farming and herding, but other trades and occupations and salaries paid in the form of money] not originally tithable.”

The Catholic Church knows its own history. Here is how tithing got back into the Church after being absent for nearly five centuries:

“As the Church expanded and various institutions arose, it became necessary to make laws which would insure the proper and permanent support of the clergy. The payment of tithes was adopted from the Old Law… The earliest positive legislation on the subject seems to be contained in the letter of the bishops assembled at Tours in 567 and the [canons] of the Council of Macon in 585.”—The Catholic Encyclopaedia.

They “extended” their base of tithe collecting to eventually include all forms of income. All Christian scholars know that although money was in wide use in ancient Israel, it was never a titheable commodity. But modern pastors don’t want tithes of goats or oil or corn, they want money–cold, hard cash! God has a word to the “shepherds of the sheep”, and it is the very same message that He had for the Levites in the book of Malachi. And it is this:

“My people have been lost sheep, their shepherds have caused them to go astray” (Jer. 50:6).

Were Israelites aware that they were being led astray by their spiritual leaders? Not most, and neither are Christians today aware that they are being led astray by their spiritual leaders.

I saw this on nairaland a few months ago
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by moremi2008(m): 5:12pm On Feb 06, 2012
A lot of MOG these days are only interested in empire building. It worries me and I am waiting on God for my own Rhema on the issue of tithes.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by pss: 5:14pm On Feb 06, 2012
We people who does not pay tithes enter into the kingdom of God / heaven? Yes or No
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Goshen360(m): 5:25pm On Feb 06, 2012
kbdrim:

Hebrews 7:5, says: “And those descendants of Levites who are priests are commanded by the law to collect one tenth from the people of Israel, that is from their own countrymen even though their countrymen are also descendants of Abraham.”

From this verse, we can jump to verses 11-13 which say: “It was on the basis of the Levitical priesthood that the law was given to the people of Israel. Now, if the work of the Levitical priests had been perfect there would be no need for a different kind of priest to appear, one who is in the priestly order of Melchizedek not of Aaron. For when the priesthood is changed, there also has to be a change in the law. And our Lord of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe of Judah and Moses did not mention his tribe when he spoke of priests.”

The above passage is self-explanatory and it states clearly that the practice of tithing has no place under the priestly order of our Lord Jesus Christ. In fact, the passage suggests that the collection of tithes is belittling of the priestly order of our Lord Jesus Christ. It states that it is wrong for us as Christians to receive or pay tithes and is not relevant to us as Christians because we belong to a superior priestly order.

I have also share this truth in the past. However, a lot of folks chooses to obey their pastors than to obey the word of God. We are not Christians through Israelite but we are en-grafted into the covenant by the blood of Jesus, death, Resurrection and by faith. I guess am now sick and tired of this topic now,lots of laugh.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by stagger: 6:28pm On Feb 06, 2012
moremi2008:

A lot of MOG these days are only interested in empire building. It worries me and I am waiting on God for my own Rhema on the issue of tithes.

Which is why in the parable of the wheat and tares, we are to wait for the last day when the wheat will be separated from the tares.

It is not in your place to decide which man of God is stealing money or not. Only God has the ultimate knowledge of these things and HE said in the last days that the judgement of God will start in the church.

If I were you, I will concern myself with my own life and leave MOG for God to judge.

NO ONE HERE WILL MAKE HEAVEN CONDEMNING MEN OF GOD! Rather the bible is even replete with examples of people who cursed men of God (some of who were even in error) and they paid for it dearly.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by moremi2008(m): 6:32pm On Feb 06, 2012
stagger:

Which is why in the parable of the wheat and tares, we are to wait for the last day when the wheat will be separated from the tares.

It is not in your place to decide which man of God is stealing money or not. Only God has the ultimate knowledge of these things and HE said in the last days that the judgement of God will start in the church.

If I were you, I will concern myself with my own life and leave MOG for God to judge.

NO ONE HERE WILL MAKE HEAVEN CONDEMNING MEN OF GOD! Rather the bible is even replete with examples of people who cursed men of God (some of who were even in error) and they paid for it dearly.

Who said anything about judging MOGs? That many MOGs are interested in empire building is an observation based on fact. The question here is whether we should be paying tithes, as a matter of spiritual principle, to help fund those empires. Stop being defensive and answer the question.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by overkillR(f): 6:43pm On Feb 06, 2012
I couldn't agree more.
kbdrim:

“And my people shall know the truth and the truth shall set them free” “Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse for ye have robbed me even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the store house and prove me now herewith saith the lord of hosts if I will not open the windows of heaven and pour out a blessing, that there would not be room enough to receive it.” Malachi 3 : 8 -10

The above quoted scripture is probably one of the most quoted in the bible.

Unfortunately, it is being quoted out of context and used as a weapon of mass intimidation, manipulation, extortion, oppression, cajolery and outright lies and deceit by some church leaders to collect 10 per cent of the gross income of their church members who have been hoodwinked into believing that they are doing God’s will.

Before I go into the details of this discourse, I want to state categorically that I am a God-loving, bible-believing Christian who has the fear of God in his heart. I am also not writing this article to undermine any church or pastor, but to let people realise the truth about tithes and remove the yoke placed by some pastors upon them. I also want to state categorically that I strongly believe in giving to the church for the sole purpose of propagating God’s work and the Christian ministry. I will continue to encourage all Christians to give their all to God as exemplified by the widow’s mite which Jesus Christ himself referred to in the bible.

Now, back to Malachi 3:8-10, the first question one should ask is who was this message directed at? The answer lies in the book of Numbers 18:25-28 which states that “The Lord commanded Moses to say to the Levites, when you receive from the Israelites the tithe that the Lord gives you as your possession, you must present a tenth of it as a special contribution to the Lord. This special contribution will be considered as the equivalent of the offering which the farmer makes of new grain and wine. In this way you would also present the special contribution which belongs to the Lord from all the tithes which you receive from the Israelites. You are to give this special contribution for the Lord to Aaron the priest.”

From the above, it is clear that it was the Levites that were directed to pay a tithe they collected from the Israelites to the priest who represents God and not the people of Israel. It was these Levites that were being referred to in the book of Malachi as those who rob God. A thorough study of the book of Malachi would reveal that in those days the Levites were collecting the tithe from the people of Israel and not remitting a tithe of it to the house of God, hence Malachi’s statement which is now being quoted out of context.

To understand what tithe really means one would have to understand the social reasons and cultural/religious setting within which it was situated. This concept of tithes was properly explained in the bible as stated in the laws of the tithe which can be found in the books of Leviticus 27:30-34, Numbers 18:25-31 and Deuteronomy 14:22-29. Upon reading these passages one would understand what tithes really mean, but unfortunately most pastors prefer to neglect these passages that tell us the true meaning of tithes and emphasise on Malachi 3:8-10 which was directed to the Levites of that time to remit the priest’s share of the tithes they collected to him. It is worthy of note that Malachi does not even define what tithe is and how it should be paid.

The definition of tithes, as practised today, was manufactured by modern day pastors to suit their purpose as it is completely in contrast with what is in the bible and it only seeks to manipulate Christians to believe that God requests 10 per cent of their gross income from them.

So what is tithe and why did God request that it be paid to the Levities? The answer can be found in the following passages: Leviticus 27:30-32 which states that “one tenth of the produce of the land, whether grain or fruit belongs to the Lord. If a man wishes to buy back any of it he must pay the standard price plus an additional 20 per cent. One in every ten domestic animal belongs to the Lord. When the animals are counted, every tenth one belongs to the Lord.” And Deuteronomy 26:12 which states that “every third year give the tithe, a tenth of your crops to the Levites, the foreigners, the orphans and the widows, so that in every community they will have all they need to eat.”

The above quoted passages clearly tell us what tithe is and the reason why God directed the people of Israel to pay tithes. It is very evident that it was a social arrangement for the less privileged in the Jewish society of that time. It was also meant to take care of the Levites because they had no land or property of their own (today, pastors are amongst the wealthiest property owners in Nigeria). This social arrangement is obviously not relevant to us today. It also states that every third year is the year of tithing, not the weekly/monthly tithes being extorted from church members today.

Another passage illustrates the true meaning of tithes properly and also states clearly that tithe is not money. Deuteronomy 14:22-29 says: “Set aside as tithe a tenth of all that your fields produce each year then go to the one place where the Lord your God has chosen to be worshipped and there in his presence eat the tithes of your grain, wine and olive oil and first born of your cattle and sheep. Do this so that you may learn to have reverence for the Lord your God always. If the place of worship is too far from your home for you to carry there the tithe of the produce that the Lord has blessed you with, then sell your produce and take the money with you to the one place of worship, spend it on whatever you want ,beef, lamb, wine, beer and there in the presence of the lord you and your family are to eat and enjoy yourselves. Do not neglect the Levites who live in your towns for they have no property of their own. At the end of every third year, bring the tithe of all your crops and store it in your towns. This is food for the Levites since they own no property and for the orphans, foreigners and widows who live in your towns. Do this and the lord your God would bless you in everything you do.”

From the above passage, it is very clear that tithe is not money and it is not the exclusive preserve of the Levites (church). It was a religious practice in those days to give reverence to God and to celebrate God in his place of worship. The Levites were only included for the main reason that they had no land of their own and that reason is not relevant in today’s society. Yet some pastors would tell you that you are cursed and would not go to heaven if you don’t give them 10 per cent of your gross income. All this hypocrisy would not have bothered me if all the money being collected was being used to propagate God’s work. But the truth as we all know today is that this money is being used to finance lavish, flamboyant and exotic lifestyle that is unbecoming of a man who truly claims to serve God, as a pastor who is expected to be meek and humble like our Lord Jesus Christ was.

As a concluding part to this article, I would want to refer us to the book of Hebrews, which was written to the early Christians. This provides irrefutable proof that Christians are not meant to pay tithes as the priesthood of our Lord Jesus Christ does not require it.

Once again, I would like to state that this article is not meant for us as Christians to revolt against the church or our pastors. It is just meant to establish the biblical truth about tithes and remove the yoke from people who labour to pay tithes–not required of them by God–while their pastors are living luxuriously. Today, many pastors see the church as their personal business and even fraudulent people are opening up churches so that they can have access to people’s tithes and use it for their personal comfort. I encourage all of us as Christians to remain vigilant and continue to serve God in truth and in faith to the glory of his holy name. Amen.

Another point of note is: how come out of the 613 biblical laws of Moses which were handed out to the people of Israel, it is only an adulterated version of the law of tithe that is still being practised today, apart from the Ten Commandments? How come we are no longer required to offer burnt sacrifices? How come we no longer stone people to death for sinning? The truth is that only tithing was dug out of the laws of Moses because it presents material benefits to the collectors of tithes. Given that most Christians do not study their bibles and depend on their priests to guide them through, it was easy for pastors to pick a passage in the bible (Malachi 3 : 8-10), quote it out of context and use it to manipulate the flock into parting with 10 per cent of their income. Furthermore, it is worthy of note that neither Jesus Christ nor any of the apostles ever preached about or collected tithe. In fact, in the bible, Jesus Christ only spoke about tithes in Luke 11:42 which states that: “But woe unto you Pharisees! For ye tithe mint and rue all manner of herbs, and pass over judgement and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.” Here we can see that Jesus Christ is rebuking the Pharisees for laying emphasis on tithes instead of the more important things of the spirit, like our pastors are doing today.

In Acts 15, we find outlined what the apostles all agreed was necessary for the newly converted Gentiles to practise, and by inspiration of the Holy Spirit of God, tithing is conspicuously missing. Yet, what is one of the very first legislated duties taught to Gentile converts by the Church today? It is that they must tithe their annual salaries to the Church. Where did this unscriptural law of Christian tithing come from?

Notice this telling bit of history from the Encyclopaedia Britannica (1963, volume 22, page 253, ‘TITHES’). “Tithes in Christendom—The earliest authentic example of anything like a law of the State enforcing payment appears to occur in the capitularies [Ecclesiasticals] of Charlemagne at the end of the 8th or beginning of the 9th century. Tithes were, by that enactment, to be applied to the maintenance of the bishop, clergy, the poor, and the fabric of the church. In the course of time the principle of payment of tithes was extended far beyond its original intention. Thus, they became transferable to laymen and saleable like ordinary property, despite the injunctions of the third Lateran Council; and they became payable out of sources of income [not just farming and herding, but other trades and occupations and salaries paid in the form of money] not originally tithable.”

The Catholic Church knows its own history. Here is how tithing got back into the Church after being absent for nearly five centuries:

“As the Church expanded and various institutions arose, it became necessary to make laws which would insure the proper and permanent support of the clergy. The payment of tithes was adopted from the Old Law… The earliest positive legislation on the subject seems to be contained in the letter of the bishops assembled at Tours in 567 and the [canons] of the Council of Macon in 585.”—The Catholic Encyclopaedia.

They “extended” their base of tithe collecting to eventually include all forms of income. All Christian scholars know that although money was in wide use in ancient Israel, it was never a titheable commodity. But modern pastors don’t want tithes of goats or oil or corn, they want money–cold, hard cash! God has a word to the “shepherds of the sheep”, and it is the very same message that He had for the Levites in the book of Malachi. And it is this:

“My people have been lost sheep, their shepherds have caused them to go astray” (Jer. 50:6).

Were Israelites aware that they were being led astray by their spiritual leaders? Not most, and neither are Christians today aware that they are being led astray by their spiritual leaders.

I saw this on nairaland a few months ago

Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Geometrix(m): 6:48pm On Feb 06, 2012
i am impressed by d contributions to this so far.i once ws troubled by dis issue once until light came to me by own very pastor.
The(1) first he made me to understand is dat under the new covenant which we are under now,every form of curse is abolished so dr is no need 4 any man of God to threaten his congregation with devourers if they dont pay their tithe.
(2)The tithe like we all know preceeds the law,abraham ws before d law,he paid tithe to melchizedech as a mark of his dependence on God.''for he said i've sworn to d most high God not to collect anything from you(king of sodom)lest you say i've made abraham rich. So i think tithe is saying to God,i depend on your provisions,financially and otherwise. Tithe is given out of love 4 God nt as a matter if compulsion by some men of God.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by dare2think: 6:49pm On Feb 06, 2012
stagger:

More threats,threats and threats !!!!

The fear factor, the best weapon of choice by Charlatans.

It works all the time. Even to the extent that  some people have committed suicide just because a almighty God  MOG said so.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by 989900: 6:50pm On Feb 06, 2012
My people eye don dey open small small
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Natasha2(f): 7:00pm On Feb 06, 2012
I love this thread  cheesy
now pastors count themselves as the levites  undecided  

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Bishop Daniel Obinim Sells Coronavirus 'Holy Oil' To Church Members For N13k / Can Someone Be A Witch Without Being Aware? / Pastor Bakare Attacks Patience Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.