Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,450 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

Wenger Can Pick Wilshere Because He’s Not Under Pressure To Win Title: - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Wenger Can Pick Wilshere Because He’s Not Under Pressure To Win Title: (770 Views)

Zimbabwean Prophet Predicts Liverpool To Win Title / City Win Title In Loss Time.waited For 44 Yrs To Win The Trophy And Had 44 Shots / Man Utd To Win Title For Third Consecutive Time! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Wenger Can Pick Wilshere Because He’s Not Under Pressure To Win Title: by thisisEMP: 11:01am On Mar 08, 2011
Guardiola: Wenger Can Pick Wilshere Because He’s Not Under Pressure To Win Titles At Arsenal

While praising the form of Arsenal wonderkid Jack Wilshere, Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola delivered a sly dig at his opponents on Tuesday night for their lack of success in recent years.

It's been six years since the Gunners picked up a trophy and Guardiola believes Wilshere is able to flourish at the Emirates thanks to a lack of a winning mentality at the club.

The former Barca midfielder added that his reserve team is full of players as talented as Wilshere and that the 19-year-old would struggle to get anywhere near his first-team.

"Wilshere is a top player,” he told reporters. “He is an excellent player, not just Arsenal, but also for the national team.

“[But] he is lucky because we have many players in the second team like him, but he plays because there is no pressure at his club to win titles."

Arsenal go into the Champions League last 16 second leg with Barca ahead after a slender 2-1 victory at the Emirates and Guardiola is impressed by the way Arsene Wenger’s side play and admitted he knew there was a big challenge ahead.

"Arsenal have many alternatives, are very dynamic and can play in different positions,” he admitted.

“Their counter attack is great; we will try to prevent that. This is always a special game in the Champions League and it is a magnificent challenge."

"I keep hearing about the fragility in the minds of the Arsenal players, but I do not agree.

“They are competing with Manchester United for the Premier League, reached the final of the Carling Cup and a few seasons ago were in the final of the Champions League. Arsenal are always in the top, when you compete every season at the top, it is because you are quality."

And Guardiola admitted he was hoping to see a full strength Arsenal side, including Robin van Persie, and didn’t rule out a last minute appearance from Theo Walcott,

"I want all the great players to play,” he continued. “Everyone against everyone and see a great show tomorrow.

“I hope they are all in the team – Van Persie, [Samir] Nasri, Cesc [Fábregas]. I want [Alex] Song to play, because I would like to play the best possible Arsenal. If Van Persie plays, then no problem.”

"Maybe there could be a private flight for [Theo] Walcott to come in at the last minute – you never know."

(1) (Reply)

Bb / Barcelona Vs AC Milan (3 - 1) / Public Disorder Follows Chelsea's Victory Over Bayern

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.