Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,688 members, 7,955,580 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:41 AM

Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... (15817 Views)

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? / Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? / Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by lovelylady: 4:47am On Mar 10, 2011
For example here in the states we can give each other a thumbs up. It could mean that we approve something. In some countries a thumbs up have a different meaning and is considered offensive. I'm just curious as to what other types of non-verbal communication is considered offensive,
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by ladyg2(f): 4:57am On Mar 10, 2011
winking. I'm not too sure if it is a cultural thing or personal because some people think of a wink as someone flirting, some think of it as another way of saying 'hi' silently. To me, it depends on who is offering the wink

1 Like

Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by bababuff(m): 10:39am On Mar 10, 2011
Most cultures all over the world, have non verbal methods of communicating.
Nodding is generally accepted as sign of agreement or concurring to the situation around you or the topic been discussed.

As per offensive signs, I think most cultures in Nigeria consider the "sticking out of your tongue" to the other person as been offensive.
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by lovelylady: 9:52pm On Mar 10, 2011
That's good too know. I went to church with a friend who is Sierra Leonean but she goes to a Nigerian church. It was cold the night that I went. I kept on folding my arms. I kept on getting these looks so I unfolded them. Nothing was said to me about it but I can tell they didn't like. I know not to do it again in their presence the next time I visit. I'm not too familiar with the culture so I try my best to learn. I want to make sure I'm being respectful.
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by babyme1(f): 12:33pm On Mar 11, 2011
Crossing legs in a Nigerian Church or when sitting in front of an elder is also considered offensive. I once crossed my legs in a church i attended for the first time and a deacon nearly slapped me angry
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by dellnet: 1:10pm On Mar 11, 2011
In Nigeria; stretch your arm,open your palm with your fingers far apart and about 60 degrees facing up.
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by callme2: 1:36pm On Mar 11, 2011
(1) Looking up while your elder is talking
(2) Nodding your head while your elder is talking
(3) Hitting your leg while your elder is talking
(4) Chewing gum while an elder or your boss is talking
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by martinosi: 1:41pm On Mar 11, 2011
call-me:

(1) Looking up while your elder is talking
(2) Nodding your head while your elder is talking
(3) Hitting your leg while your elder is talking
(4) Chewing gum while an elder or your boss is talking

Hmm that soo true.

Do you have any Do's and Donts for working in a Nigerian Office,
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by martinosi: 1:44pm On Mar 11, 2011
dell_net:

In Nigeria; stretch your arm,open your palm with your fingers far apart and about 60 degrees facing up.

lol!!!

Calling your Boss in Nigerian by their 1st Name is a NO NO!!! LOL!
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by callme2: 1:54pm On Mar 11, 2011
[Hmm that soo true.

Do you have any Do's and Donts for working in a Nigerian Office, ][quote][/quote]
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by callme2: 2:06pm On Mar 11, 2011
[quote][/quote]Hmm that soo true.

(1) To much familarity at your place of work, not good especially with a female boss
(2) Limit your discussion about your personal affairs with your boss
(3) Do not gossip or say nasty things about your colegues before your boss
(4) Even while they are complaining to you about what someone did to them, just calm him or her down instead of contributing negatively about the person too
(5) Try not to say nasty things about your boss to your collegues
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by callme2: 2:09pm On Mar 11, 2011
@ dell-net

Please how can i send a quote. I've tried that on several occation but not getting it.
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by dellnet: 2:58pm On Mar 11, 2011
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by ifyalways(f): 3:16pm On Mar 11, 2011
dell_net:

What message wud that convey undecided
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by orbaxy(m): 3:26pm On Mar 11, 2011
Things you don't do in Nigerian Offices:
If you Boss is a female, NEVER YOU WALK AROUND WITH A PHALLUS!

Truss me,  undecided
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by javalove(m): 3:34pm On Mar 11, 2011
ifyalways:

What message wud that convey undecided

It means "IYA EEE" in yoruba . , or "WAKA" in hausa or "Your MAMA" in pidgin

It's a way of abusing som1's mum without saying a word

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by ifyalways(f): 3:55pm On Mar 11, 2011
javalove:

It means "IYA EEE" in yoruba . , or "WAKA" in hausa or "Your MAMA" in pidgin

It's a way of abusing som1's mum without saying a word

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!
Oh I C.Thanks
All that stress just to cuss? cheesy
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by martinosi: 4:24pm On Mar 11, 2011
call-me:

(1)  To much familarity at your place of work, not good especially with a female boss
(2)  Limit your discussion about your personal affairs with your boss
(3)  Do not gossip or say nasty things about your colegues before your boss
(4)  Even while they are complaining to you about what someone did to them, just calm him or her down instead of contributing negatively about the person too
(5)  Try not to say nasty things about your boss to your collegues

Thank you very much as i see that this even applies in abroad too!!!

But i can see that the female boss scenario can be very tricky !!!!

The reason why i say this is becuase i went to a Nigerian
corporate office late last year to see a friend. His was
a IT consultant and the office he was doing work for had a female boss!

Lawdd have mercy, you could cut the tension and un-easiness in that
office with a knife, ROFLAMO!

I have noticed in some female managers in Nigeria can really belittle guys no be small!!!
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by marcus1234: 5:06pm On Mar 11, 2011
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by DisGuy: 5:47pm On Mar 11, 2011
martinosi:

Hmm that soo true.

Dont not call anyone especially those above/or older than you by name even the receptionist or gate-man

You have to put a Mr, Sir, shareman Chairman or a combination of the above Mr Chairman Sir! grin

Do attend all ceremonies especially those by senior colleagues, house warming, cousins cousins wedding, 40 year remembrance etc etc jks grin
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by Pharoh: 7:40pm On Mar 11, 2011
Nice thread.
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by manny4life(m): 8:51pm On Mar 11, 2011
Oh wow, never knew that people took offense to this things.

As for the wink part, don't wink at me unless I'm close to you and that depends on the relationship I have with you, To me that is flirting.

Dis Guy:

Dont not call anyone especially those above/or older than you by name even the receptionist or gate-man

You have to put a Mr, Sir, shareman Chairman or a combination of the above Mr Chairman Sir! grin

Do attend all ceremonies especially those by senior colleagues, house warming, cousins cousins wedding, 40 year remembrance etc etc jks grin

That is Nigeria for you unless that person has earned a title like Dr., General etc, Although I give deference to the very top guys by just Mr. (your first name).
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by mamagee3(f): 10:34pm On Mar 11, 2011
Pharoh:

Nice thread.
That's not a contribution. . . grin grin grin

I don't get why nonverbal communication is offensive, it doesn't bring people down and isn't disrespectful.

I think sometimes people make it annoying though.
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by ChinenyeN(m): 10:57pm On Mar 11, 2011
mama-gee:

That's not a contribution. . . grin grin grin

I don't get why nonverbal communication is offensive, it doesn't bring people down and isn't disrespectful.

I think sometimes people make it annoying though.

Not all nonverbal communication is offensive, just as in verbal communication. Also nonverbal communication can be very disrespectful, depending on the culture in question.
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by Tcrack(m): 2:21am On Mar 12, 2011
the Bleep YOU sign will obviously not get you anywhere.
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by lovelylady: 3:44am On Mar 12, 2011
I read something the other day about not winking because it's considered flirting. I never wink though. I have a bad habit of crossing my legs though. I know not to do it when I visit the church again. When it comes to addressing one another I notice Nigerians saying auntie and uncle alot. I have learned to never over compliment because the individual may feel obligated to give me what I'm complimenting. Thank you everyone for you input. Please keep it coming.
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by DisGuy: 3:49am On Mar 12, 2011
Dont Give/offer your boss Hi 5 cheesy
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by dellnet: 5:25am On Mar 12, 2011
ifyalways:

Oh I C.Thanks
All that stress just to cuss? cheesy

You can do it with your palm facing you and it is meaningless but definitely do not try it with your palm facing another Nigerian however, if you wish to try it at your own risk with your palm facing another Nigerian make sure you gaze into the person's eyes while doing it. Be sure you are way stronger than the Nigerian and have achieved black belt in karate.
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by vocalist(f): 12:27pm On Mar 12, 2011
laughing when rebuked by an elder
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by BluMalam(m): 2:14pm On Mar 12, 2011
Looking at a person from top to toe, then back up again. Even while smiling or innocently admiring the persons outfit
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by ifyalways(f): 6:08pm On Mar 12, 2011
dell_net:

You can do it with your palm facing you and it is meaningless but definitely do not try it with your palm facing another Nigerian however, if you wish to try it at your own risk with your palm facing another Nigerian make sure you gaze into the person's eyes while doing it. Be sure you are way stronger than the Nigerian and have achieved black belt in karate.
Okiez
Blu Malam:

Looking at a person from top to toe, then back up again. Even while smiling or innocently admiring the persons outfit
lol
I so loff this one. grin
Re: Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... by Nobody: 6:40pm On Mar 12, 2011
hissing
rolling eyes
staring at an adult that is scowling you
Not prostrating   
raising hand at someone with all fingers stretched out
clicking thumb and middle finger together

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? / Funny yoruba Names And Their Meanings / The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.