Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,004 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants (1715 Views)

My Landlord Does House Chores For His Children, Fetches Water For Them / Wife Surprises Husband After Landlord Stormed Their Home Over House Rent. Photos / My Landlord (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by MOORCHMOORE(m): 7:20am On Nov 02, 2020
Good morning my People, I am in a state of confusion & hopelessness here. My family (wife & 3 children) is about to face ejection from a house I supposed to be a tenant.
I have occupied the 2bed room flat since October 2011. I pay house rent yearly without owing my landlord. The house is 4story with 15flats. The hole occupants received their flat apartment keys same day (it was a new house when we parked in) part of our money was used in lifting the upstairs.
Fast forward to 2020, thing has never been the same for me, because of Covid-19 lockdown. I work in a private establishment and we are being owned 7 months of our salaries. My house rent expires every 31st August. I call my landlord ahead to give me more time to see if my employers will pay us, which he accepted. October is over and I am yet to received any payment from them. Things are very hard for me even to feed is now a big problem.
I got a call from my landlord (he was boiling hot) yesterday evening that he's given me till Tue 3rd November (2days) to pay him or get my belongings thrown out. The thing that is bursting my head is that he promptly told me that am not a tenant, that am a guest in his house meaning his house is a guest house. A house I had paid for 9yrs.
He used to be a good landlord but recently hes changing, he increase our rent last 2yrs and now that covid is affecting everyone he still increase house rent.

* Please I need people that knows and understands law for advice on what to do since he has told me he throwing me out without Quit Notice.

* I don't mind financial support or job opportunity, as I am sick of being jobless and I am scared of seeing my family embarssed, couple that I have 6month old baby. My wife is just depressed too.

God favor us.
Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by thesicilian: 7:41am On Nov 02, 2020
If you can afford a lawyer then get one to go and talk to him amicably, while making him realize your rights as a tenant as well. You can't really blame him too much, he's a human being also with his own problems.
The fact that you have not been paid at work should not be his concern, you have to let him realize what efforts you're making to settle him with alternative sources of income, even if it on a bit by bit basis.

6 Likes

Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by bigtt76(f): 7:43am On Nov 02, 2020
Sad... God is with you and your family.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by Dannieln1: 7:59am On Nov 02, 2020
We are our own problem in this country.
Maybe you can get a lawyer and present to him your payroll for the past 4 years till date.
Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by MOORCHMOORE(m): 8:23am On Nov 02, 2020
thesicilian:
If you can afford a lawyer then get one to go and talk to him amicably, while making him realize your rights as a tenant as well. You can't really blame him too much, he's a human being also with his own problems.
The fact that you have not been paid at work should not be his concern, you have to let him realize what efforts you're making to settle him with alternative sources of income, even if it on a bit by bit basis.
Honestly, I can't afford 1 at the moment. Its that terrible for me.
Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by Dtruthspeaker: 9:14am On Nov 02, 2020
thesicilian:

When you fail to pay your rent, you lose your rights, just as you can not buy fuel, food etc without paying for it.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by thesicilian: 9:17am On Nov 02, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

When you fail to pay your rent, you lose your rights, just as you can not buy fuel, food etc without paying for it.
Lol. Just evict your tenant first without due process then you'll know how much rights he has. Defaulting for just two months during a global economic depression shouldn't be a reason for automatic eviction, especially when the tenant has been a responsible one for the past 9yrs.

10 Likes

Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by Dtruthspeaker: 9:24am On Nov 02, 2020
thesicilian:

Have you considered paying a part to cover some months?

Outside this, find a place to keep your valuables and vacate, for you would are doing 2 bad things to him

1) Failure to pay rent plus
2) you are still holding on to his property without paying for it.

While he has been good to you in granting you reasonable time to pay.

Your landlord will definitely see you as wicked and he must seek to correct this imbalance and you would not like his mode of correcting the imbalance.
Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by Dtruthspeaker: 9:28am On Nov 02, 2020
thesicilian:

Lol. Just evict your tenant first without due process then you'll know how much rights he has. Defaulting for just two months during a global economic depression shouldn't be a reason for automatic eviction, especially when the tenant has been a responsible one for the past 9yrs.

What I am actually saying is that it is wise and good for him to quickly evict himself than for the landlord to take any action against him, either way he is the losing party.
Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by thesicilian: 9:49am On Nov 02, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

What I am actually saying is that it is wise and good for him to quickly evict himself than for the landlord to take any action against him, either way he is the losing party.
What the landlord can do is to give him a proper quit notice (I think that's about 3-6months), he has no legal power to throw any one's property out into the street.
As for the tenant he should convince the landlord of his good intentions to pay even if it's in parts like you and I have suggested previously, not just hiding under the umbrella of no salary.
Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by Dtruthspeaker: 11:43am On Nov 02, 2020
thesicilian:

What the landlord can do is to give him a proper quit notice (I think that's about 3-6months), he has no legal power to throw any one's property out into the street.
As for the tenant he should convince the landlord of his good intentions to pay even if it's in parts like you and I have suggested previously, not just hiding under the umbrella of no salary.

It's been provided today how a landlord can throw him out!
Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by Iamicekid(m): 12:38pm On Nov 02, 2020
So your wife ain’t working also abi, if yes, u cause ur problem now, cause if you married a woman that work, it’s time like this that her salary will come in handy, even God says marry a helper

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by CanadianNaija: 4:37pm On Nov 02, 2020
MOORCHMOORE:
Good morning my People, I am in a state of confusion & hopelessness here. My family (wife & 3 children) is about to face ejection from a house
* I don't mind [b]financial support or job opportunity
, as I am sick of being jobless and I am scared of seeing my family embarssed, couple that I have 6month old baby. My wife is just depressed too.[/i]

God favor us.

Rent is not something that becomes due overnight, it takes a year, are you saying that you don’t save for your rent monthly?
So you don’t even have part of it?
If you were willing to pay a part I’m sure he won’t be so angry as to evict you coupled with the current state of the economy.

I think it’s irresponsible for a man and his wife to just stay and have no emergency funds, or not plan properly for their expenses, and you now have a 6months old child on top of this.

Sell your properties if you can and give him part payment, and this should be a lesson for the future that you are supposed to plan for eventuality. Ask your wife to get a source of income as well, a two income household is necessary if you can not manage the family’s finances alone.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by MOORCHMOORE(m): 4:46pm On Nov 02, 2020
CanadianNaija:

Rent is not something that becomes due overnight, it takes a year, are you saying that you don’t save for your rent monthly?
If you were willing to pay a part I’m sure he won’t be so angry as to evict you coupled with the current state of the economy.

I think it’s irresponsible for a man and his wife to just stay and have no emergency funds, or not plan properly for their expenses, and you now have a 6months old child on top of this.

Sell your properties if you can and give him part payment, and this should be a lesson for the future that you are supposed to plan for eventuality. Ask your wife to get a source of income as well, a two income household is necessary if you can not manage the family’s finances alone.
I did an investment that went bad during Covid between June & July.
Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by Dtruthspeaker: 4:53pm On Nov 02, 2020
CanadianNaija:

Kai! Man is Wicked and haveth No Compassion for his Neighbour, nor doth he regardeth the poor.

9 years has he been there with no issue but immediately on his tenth year and first instance of default, you have immediately hurled such hurtfull words.

And yet you would have considered yourself a Good person worthy of The Kingdom of God!
(Now you would claim you do not believe in God)

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by CanadianNaija: 5:24pm On Nov 02, 2020
MOORCHMOORE:

I did an investment that went bad during Covid between June & July.

Yes you people always do investments that go badly. I was asking if you weren’t saving for your rent, not asking about investment.

Like I already said rent doesn’t just come due, you have 12 months to plan for it. Sell properties and pay something to your landlord, I’m sure he’ll be more willing to accept instalments than you saying no salary, how does he sort out his own expenses?
Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by CanadianNaija: 5:28pm On Nov 02, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Kai! Man is Wicked and haveth No Compassion for his Neighbour, nor doth he regardeth the poor.

9 years has he been there with no issue but immediately on his tenth year and first instance of default, you have immediately hurled such hurtfull words.

And yet you would have considered yourself a Good person worthy of The Kingdom of God!
(Now you would claim you do not believe in God)

Take a seat you irresponsible man. Being an adult is not about being old, it’s about being responsible.

Use your sob stories to go and buy food in the market or get treatment in the hospitals let me see first.
You people need to learn to take responsibility for your actions, how can a family man with people that depend on him just realize that rent is due, knowing the kind of country you live in why not plan?
God forbid he has a medical emergency what happens?

You think calling God will fix this situation? Ask your church members to donate rent money then. Mstheewwwww!
Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by Dtruthspeaker: 5:46pm On Nov 02, 2020
CanadianNaija:

Take a seat you irresponsible man. Being an adult is not about being old, it’s about being responsible.

Use your sob stories to go and buy food in the market or get treatment in the hospitals let me see first.
You people need to learn to take responsibility for your actions, how can a family man with people that depend on him just realize that rent is due, knowing the kind of country you live in why not plan?

You think calling God will fix this situation? Ask your church members to donate rent money then. Mstheewwwww!

Yeah, as Written, a serpent must bite! lipsrsealed
Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by GboyegaD(m): 6:08pm On Nov 02, 2020
You should try appeal to him to give you more time. I am not sure if you need to approach him with a lawyer as he owns his house and at this time, you are the one who is unable to meet up your obligations. What you need is his understanding and not some kind of challenge.

A better approach is to state the current situation of things and a work out plan on how you intend paying the outstanding. He has his own obligations to and if the rent is what he is using to sustain himself, you just need to try fall on his good side.
Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by ststyreal(f): 11:23pm On Nov 02, 2020
CanadianNaija:

Guy take it easy please, you don't know what people are going through out there biko. Take am easy you too harsh all hands are not the same. Yes, he has 12 months to plan for the rent but anything could have happened between that period that might have cause him to spend his savings. He didn't say he is not going to pay, all he is asking for is an advice. I mentioned you because you sounded so pained as if you are the landlord, take time to visit and see what level of suffering people are battling with out there. Times are hard..
And for you my dear op, kindly appeal to the conscience of your landlord, beg him with sincerity to give you more time and see how that goes....May God remember you at this trying period of yours amen....
Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by poshestmina(f): 11:44pm On Nov 02, 2020
GboyegaD:
You should try appeal to him to give you more time. I am not sure if you need to approach him with a lawyer as he owns his house and at this time, you are the one who is unable to meet up your obligations. What you need is his understanding and not some kind of challenge.

A better approach is to state the current situation of things and a work out plan on how you intend paying the outstanding. He has his own obligations to and if the rent is what he is using to sustain himself, you just need to try fall on his good side.

Only feeding during the lockdown was an emergency .

Months of running a home without an income ,...feeding, electricity bill,DStv subscription,diapers , recharge cards helping close pals/relatives in dare need etc put a huge hole in the pocket of average income people.

Not everyone has millions somewhere, myself inclusive. Had to start using my kid joint account to sustain for couple of weeks.

Don't be so insensitive abeg undecided undecided. Sit this one out and stop assuming everybody is 'rich like you'.

E better for you no mean say na everybody follow you wear your shoe.

Modified: Sorry,I quoted the wrong person.
Cc CanadianNaija
Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by Nobody: 10:12am On Nov 03, 2020
Don't you pay your rent?
Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by Emmyjean: 10:24am On Nov 03, 2020
MOORCHMOORE:
Good morning my People, I am in a state of confusion & hopelessness here. My family (wife & 3 children) is about to face ejection from a house I supposed to be a tenant.
I have occupied the 2bed room flat since October 2011. I pay house rent yearly without owing my landlord. The house is 4story with 15flats. The hole occupants received their flat apartment keys same day (it was a new house when we parked in) part of our money was used in lifting the upstairs.
Fast forward to 2020, thing has never been the same for me, because of Covid-19 lockdown. I work in a private establishment and we are being owned 7 months of our salaries. My house rent expires every 31st August. I call my landlord ahead to give me more time to see if my employers will pay us, which he accepted. October is over and I am yet to received any payment from them. Things are very hard for me even to feed is now a big problem.
I got a call from my landlord (he was boiling hot) yesterday evening that he's given me till Tue 3rd November (2days) to pay him or get my belongings thrown out. The thing that is bursting my head is that he promptly told me that am not a tenant, that am a guest in his house meaning his house is a guest house. A house I had paid for 9yrs.
He used to be a good landlord but recently hes changing, he increase our rent last 2yrs and now that covid is affecting everyone he still increase house rent.

* Please I need people that knows and understands law for advice on what to do since he has told me he throwing me out without Quit Notice.

* I don't mind financial support or job opportunity, as I am sick of being jobless and I am scared of seeing my family embarssed, couple that I have 6month old baby. My wife is just depressed too.

God favor us.
@OP, we know things are hard, especially this COVID-19 period.
The way you are broke now, that's the same way your landlord is broke too.
The only relationship you have with your landlord is to pay your rent when due.
If you are yearly tenant, I will advise you to look for atleast 3months rent, go to him and plead for more time.
But wait ooh, how do you feel comfortable staying in another man's house for 9 good years, without planing for yours.
Note: Any compound you feel comfortable staying for more than 4yrs is undoing you.
You will never have the fighting spirit to build your own house. Henceforth, take it as a challenge from your landlord, that this is the time to plan for my own house, even if it's a room.
"Your own na your own".
Re: My Landlord Does Not See Us As Tenants by Promxy94(m): 10:45am On Nov 03, 2020
MOORCHMOORE:

God favor us.

Sorry about your predicament.

Did you sign any tenancy agreement with your landlord, if yes did you read it very well.

Do you know the day your rent expires you are no longer seen as a normal tenant but a tenant as suffrage.
Do you know that the landlord and tenant relationship existing between you and your landlord seized on the eve of the expiration of your rent.

I stop here.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians React As Davido Was Spotted Kissing New Girlfriend, Mya Yafai / mother to child care. / Why Do Some Ladies Engage In This Practice?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.